Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 7 June 2012

Garden Willow Tit - on 6th June, 2012

It's not a 'garden first' for us, but it is the first time that we've seen a Willow Tit in our garden since I started keeping an annual garden list at the beginning of 2009.  It was pretty evil weather yesterday afternoon so the images, taken at some distance, are pretty rubbish, but it needed recording!


Willow Tit - our garden
Things are getting more interesting in our garden this week. As I write this, a Great Spotted Woodpecker is feeding on the peanuts - we usually only get one sighting a year of these, and that's if we're lucky!

The male Bullfinch is now visiting us several times a day and, presumably, feeding young nearby. He tends to come when the weather is dull, so no more images so far. Hopefully he will bring his young to see us when they have fledged.

Talking of young, the garden is full of juvenile birds these days. The most numerous are the Starlings, closely followed by the Goldfinches. We also have young Blue Tits, Great Tits, Blackbirds, Dunnocks, and House Sparrows visiting regularly.

8 comments:

  1. A cracking garden bird Richard, never had one in mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul, I was absolutely delighted. The last time we had these was in November 2008, when we had a pair regularly visiting the feeders outside my window.

      Delete
  2. Hi Richard, we have a Willow tit who comes regularily to our feeders and also to one of my neighbour's. I was outside at my neighbours talking to her a few weeks ago when this Willow tit (or Marsh tit) was making quite a noise, my neighbour said it was because we were in the way of the feeders, it gets quite shirty, it was quite funny. You may be lucky now your Willow tit has found your feeders it may become a regular visitor to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. You're lucky to have one visiting you regularly. I think that we are fairly near the north of their range here, so I don't see as many as I'd like to on my travels. They also seem to have gone from some of their regular local haunts, which is a bit worrying.

      Delete
  3. A very lovely garden visitor indeed Richard. Not a bird that I have seen yet - there don't seem to be many about in Lancashire. Plenty of rain though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christian. I expect that these are a bit thin on the ground as far north as Lancashire. Yes, this rain is getting extremely frustrating! Now it's windy too and that just about knocks it on the head for me.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant garden visitor Richard,send one my way please.
    Cracking captures of a very shy Bird.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. I'd have thought that you'd have had your share of these down there!

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.