Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 9 June 2015

Tawny Time - on 8th June, 2015

It's been nearly three weeks since my last post, mainly because of a ten-day trip to Scotland (which should feature in my next post) and processing the photos from that trip.

Last month, I invested around seven and a half hours at a known Tawny Owl location, without any results, so a tip-off from a good friend (thank you!) about another Tawny location just had to be investigated, using my car as a hide.

I hadn't been there long before I heard one of the birds (a male) calling and then a female also started to call. The calls of the male got closer and the Blackbirds started making a fuss, so I sat there in eager anticipation. My first sighting was when one of the birds flew overhead and up the road ahead of me and disappeared into a tree about 150 metres away.

I'd been there for a couple of hours before one of the birds flew into a tree about 50 metres from me, where it sat for a minute or so before flying towards me and over my head. Sadly, it was against white cloud, with a branch in the way. This is the best that I could manage.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) (female?) - Leicestershire
After about an hour, both birds came from behind me and went straight into the same tree. Frustratingly, their position was awful, as you can see from the following.

Tawny Owls (Strix aluco) (male and female) - Leicestershire
They both sat there for a couple of minutes and then flew back towards me, one passing over my head and the other flying into the back of a tree, only about 12 metres away. It popped up where I was not expecting it and I only managed to fire off two frames before it was off again. Sadly, my camera was still set for the birds in the 50 metre tree but, with a bit of work, I've managed to sort out these two frames, during which the bird moved its head a little. This is my favourite of the two.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
Around 15 minutes later one of the birds was back in the 50 metre tree again, but this time a little better placed than previously.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
It then flew up the road to a tree around 150 metres away and this was my last sighting.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
I hung around for another half an hour, but there were no further sightings. It had been an extremely interesting and enjoyable four and a half hours, even if the photographic results are not up to scratch! My undying thanks to my informant for the tip-off!

Thank you for dropping by.

24 comments:

  1. These are great and I thought I was patient. It was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. There's no skill in being patient - I'd trade my patience for your skill any day!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. You certainly merit full marks for perseverance, Richard. Now if only you can get these Tawny Owls to stay put for about another six weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, David, it'll be out of my hands, but I'll do my best to introduce you to a Tawny when you visit. This list of target birds is building up now!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Great post Richard,the Tawny owl is one of my favourites,these are superb images.
    Love the first and fourth captures,well worth the time invested.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I was enjoying the session so much that the time seemed to fly by. I'd have stayed a lot longer if (1) I wasn't getting a numb bum, and (2) I hadn't promised Lindsay that I'd be home for tea!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard, your patience at last rewarded. four and a half hours is long but with great result. And your pictures are great!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. The session was so enjoyable that it didn't really require patience if the truth be known.

      Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. OK Richard, this is too much...........
    You have to tell me the truth...
    You have a secret to tame owls or what??????!!!!!! LOL!!!
    I never see a Tawny owl in day light, why should you?!!
    These photos are wonderful and do show how difficult it is take pictures sometimes!!
    You did a great job, this post is fantastic!
    Keep well and...... keep the birds ready for David :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it, Noushka, you've discovered my secret - these are all carefully crafted models which I stick in various unlikely places!

      David has already put in an order for one of the Tawnies!

      Best wishes from England - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Dead jealous of that selection of images Richard. It's so rare to see one out and about in good light. Number 3 & 4 are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was extremely lucky, Doug, mainly in having a good friend to give me the lowdown on these birds!

      Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Well done Richard, at last you managed the images, and don't complain about the quality. Your tipster at last came good even if it took a bit of time.

    Titus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Titus. It was well worth the time spent.

      See you soon - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Well done for being patient and persevering with the Tawny owls. I love the third picture, such a lovely capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  9. Well done my man! Glad you got to see them in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. I'm really indebted to the person that tipped me off on this one!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Beautiful birds... photos are too :-). Greetings from widny Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gentlemen. My best wishes to you both.

      Delete
  11. Richard, lovely post, lovely bird. Indeed patience really paid off for you with some wonderful shots

    Regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind words, Dave.

      Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.