Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 30 August 2017

A White Letter Day - on 12th July, 2017

I'd first visited Ticknall Limeyards earlier in the year, having been recommended it as being good for dragonflies and damselflies. This would be my third visit. There was a fair bit of sunshine and, for a change, it wasn't too breezy. However, it was just after a cold wet spell so I wasn't over-hopeful.

On arrival at the place where I park my car in Ticknall I was accosted by a gentleman who asked if, by any chance, I was headed for Ticknall Limeyards. He explained to me that he was recovering from a stroke, and had difficulty in finding directions. He also pointed out that he didn't walk very quickly - which suited me fine! So off we set. 

The gentleman was on a mission to find a particular species of butterfly which he said had been reported as being seen in the limeyards. If I remember correctly, it was Silver-washed Fritillary that he was looking for. I told him that I was looking for dragonflies, and he said he didn't know much about them - in the event it turned out that he was probably more knowledgeable than myself on that subject as he was pointing out and identifying species without hesitation! 

He stayed with me for a while and then went off to return to the lime kilns which we had passed earlier, where he thought he had most chance of finding his target species.

The first subjects to get my attention were a pair of Ruddy Darter. I'm rather fond of the first image below, although it is not of the best quality, because it shows the pair in tandem, with the male having already touched down on the stem, but the female still hovering. Moments later, she too touched down.


Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (pair in tandem) - Ticknall Limeyards
On 1st June I'd been impressed by the number of Red-eyed Damselfly that were here. On this day I saw just one, which stayed distant before disappearing.

Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
I think this visit possibly gave me my first local sighting of Common Darter for the year.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
An Emperor appeared for a short while, but I only got a distant record shot.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Other damselflies here included Common Blue Damselfly, and Azure Damselfly.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (pair in tandem) - Ticknall Limeyards
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
I also took some more shots of Ruddy Darter.

Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (teneral female) - Ticknall Limeyards
Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
At one point in time, I took a break to look at some nearby orchids. There was an area that was covered by a mixture of Common Spotted Orchid and Fragrant Orchid. The first image shows part of that area.

Common Spotted Orchid and Fragrant Orchid - Ticknall Limeyards
Fragrant Orchid (Gymnadenia conopsea) - Ticknall Limeyards

Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii) - Ticknall Limeyards
I'd decided that it was about time to depart, but took a few shots of another teneral female Ruddy Darter before setting off.

Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (teneral female) - Ticknall Limeyards
Heading back, I soon found the gentleman that had accompanied me earlier. He was sitting on a bank, keeping an eye out for the butterflies. This prompted me to wander off in the immediate area to see if I could find anything interesting for him. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what I took to be a Purple Hairstreak on some Rosebay Willowherb. I took a few shots, dropped my hat on the ground so I could find the location again (there was a lot of Rosebay Willowherb around!) and rushed off to get the gentleman. I told him what I'd found and he followed me to my hat - the butterfly was still there (so was my hat)!

It was not until I looked at my photos when I'd got home that I realised that what we'd seen had been the elusive White-letter Hairstreak. If the gentleman that was with me had known of my mistake, he was too polite to say so! I was delighted with this find, as it was a 'lifer' for me.


White-letter Hairstreak (Satyrium w-album) - Ticknall Limeyards
After a while it flew up into the trees and was lost to sight. I continued on my way back to my car, stopping to photograph a Comma and a Gatekeeper en-route.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Ticknall Limeyards
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Before I reached my car, I couldn't resist taking a shot of wild flowers in a field  - sadly there were no butterflies on them!

Wild Flowers - Ticknall
It was now time to head home and check what I had managed to achieve with my camera.

Thank you for dropping by.

I suspect that my next post will feature my initial experiences with my new macro lens.


19 comments:

  1. Great series of images, Richard, and congratulations on your lifer. But most of all kudos to you for taking the time to assist the recovering stroke victim. I am sure your simple act of human kindness was not lost on him. Much love to you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. He was an interesting person to talk to and a pleasure to assist - I'm sure I benefitted as much by the encounter as he did.

      My love to you both - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Great set Richard. Just back from 5 days in Devon. Look forward to your lens review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I look forward to seeing what you managed to photograph in Devon. Don't too excited about the forthcoming post on the new macro. It will be as much about the mistakes as the successes!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Amazing post Richard,great photography,your White letter hairstreak is the star of the show.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. The hairstreak is probably going to be one of my highlights of the year!

      My very best wishes to you and Sue - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Oh! How beautiful pictures! You are artist Richard! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Anne! I try!

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Some superb shots- love the orchids + the male Ruddy Darter. I don't seem to have seen that many of the latter this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm seeing a reasonable number of Ruddy Darter this year. However, in general, I'd say it's been a relatively good year for the earlier dragonflies, but a fairly poor one for the later species.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Firstly well done for assisting the stroke victim, and it sounds like he was an interesting person to add to it.
    Your photos are amazing and I really do need to go to the dam sometime and see what I can find. I have put it off mainly because it is quite a long way from the road, and my back has not been too happy recently. I like to walk to places where if I get into trouble I can phone home, and if necessary be picked up. It has not happened yet but it has been a close call a couple of times!
    White-letter Hairstreak is new one on me, I wonder if we get it here I must have a look. I love the orchids and the wild flowers as well.
    Take care and have a good weekend, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. I'm sorry to hear your back is still a problem. Please don't go to the dam if it puts you at any sort of risk, particularly if you are alone. You'd be better off trying to find a small pond (close to civilization) - even 10 metres diameter could be good enough - with some vegetation (reeds, pond weed, lilies) growing in it, and looking on a sunny day.

      I maeant to mention last time I replied to you that I was disappointed to hear of your annoying internet connection. I hope someone will sort things out for you soon.

      White-letter Hairstreak is in your area of France, but they are getting rarer due to Dutch elm disease. They feed on aphid honeydew in the top of elm trees, which is where they lay their eggs too. They tend only come down to low level to feed on flowers when the honeydew is in short supply - possibly after heavy rains (my suggestion) - so they can be very hard to find even when present. I was extremely lucky!!

      Thank you for your kind words. Have a great weekend. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Wow. Amazing photos. Masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sami, for those few, but very kind, words. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Fantastic images, I love the Orchids, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky, Bob, as we have many places near here which are good for orchids!

      With my best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  9. I still think the Azure Damselfly in terms of markings and vibrancy is stunning individual, great images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Azure, certainly has the edge, colour-wise, over the Common Blue in my opinion, Doug.

      Thanks for you comment. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. You did what looks a wonderful place justice. A beautiful and varied collection of images.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.