Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 16 September 2017

A Return to Ticknall Limeyards - on 25th August, 2017

It seems that I need to clear up a couple of matters before I embark on the main topic of this post!

Some people had noticed that a blog post about Chalkhill Blues briefly appeared on my blog, and then disappeared again within a few minutes. However, if they saw a link to my blog (for example, if their own blog had a link to my blog) it still showed the Chalkhill Blues post as being there. 

What had happened was that I'd published a post on Heather Lake on 8th September, and then immediately started work on my next post on Chalkhill Blues. Unfortunately, whilst writing this new post, I accidentally hit the 'publish' button. It took a few minutes to realise what I'd done, and a little longer to retrieve this post and reinstate the Heather post. Sadly, links to Blogger, didn't recognise this state of affairs and so any links to the Heather post totally disappeared for ever after only a few minutes.

If you missed the Heather Post, it can be found here

If you missed the Chalkhill Blue post, it can be found here

Oh! I forgot to mention the second item which was that Lindsay and I have been away for a few days. Whilst we had internet connection where we were staying I was, unfortunately, unable to log into Blogger. This means that I was rather tardy in publishing comments and replying to them. Sorry!!

I'd had my new macro lens for a week and had not yet had a really good session out in the field to practise use of it. With a mixed weather forecast and little time on my hands, I did not want to venture too far so, after lunch, I set off for Ticknall Limeyards. This time I parked in a different location, and found that the alternative access route halved the distance to reach the ponds in the limeyards.

At first it didn't look too promising, with just a few Common Darters around. Even these were playing hard to get!


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Ticknall Limeyards
Soon a Brown Hawker arrived and started ovipositing in one of the smaller ponds. Sadly, without waders, it was impossible to get shots with the light in a favourable direction. This was one situation where I'd probably have done better using the 50-500 rather than the 150 macro. Soon a second female appeared and the two started competing for suitable places to oviposit. The photographic results are far from satisfactory but the best I could manage, with glare being a significant problem.




Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female ovipositing) - Ticknall Limeyards
I'd spent quite a lot of time checking out side paths on my way to the ponds, with some interesting findings  - although nothing was photographed. However, this meant that the rest of my time was a little limited as I'd promised Lindsay that I'd cook tea that night for when she returned. I decided to quickly check the old lime kiln area as this is where I'd found White-letter Hairstreak butterfly on a previous visit. I was disappointed to see that the tall vegetation where the hairstreak had been feeding had been strimmed to within an inch of its life!

Nevertheless, I had a look round and noticed a Migrant Hawker dragonfly, then a second. After a while, one of these settled in some  bushes and brambles. It was a little deep in and my early attempts to photograph it were not good. However, It stayed put whilst I battled my way through the undergrowth, and I managed some better shots. In the first image, below, I had to lift the detail in the shadows by applying a shadow protection factor of 32 in post-processing. The second image had a shadow protection factor of 27 applied - I'm still amazed by the result with this image! For the last two images, shadow protection was not required as I had used the on-camera flash.




Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (immature male) - Ticknall Limeyards.
By the time I left, there were five Migrant Hawkers in the air in a very small area, and the subject of my photography was still in the bushes.

It had been an interesting session and the results, whilst relatively pleasing, left me in no doubt that I still have a lot to learn about the use of this lens.

Thank you for dropping by. If all goes according to plan, my next post will be a little different -  at least for the second half!

20 comments:

  1. Superb photographs, Richard! That new macro is nice, but in the hands of an artist, it's magical!
    Love the Migrant Hawker images!

    Thank you and Lindsay again for checking up on us. We really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally, for those kind words. A few days after this vist, I managed some Migrant Hawker (and other) images which somewhat improved on those in this post. These will probably feature in my next post.

      I hope that you are managing to cope with the chaos which is going to surround you for a while. Like you, I also hope that your wildlife bounces back from this event. Fingers are firmly crossed!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. I have often wondered do I really want a macro lens, seeing you photos the answer is yes. BUT, would I really prefer a better telephoto? The answer is probably yes to both, but I already have a problem with one body and never having the right lens at the right time, so maybe the real answer to both new lenses is no. How did I ever survive with my brownie box!!! Just love these shots Richard well done.
    Have a good Sunday, best wishes,cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. It might be a bit too heavy for you, but might I suggest you look at the Sigma 50-500mm lens. It's the most versatile lens that I know of, and is great for macro work. The main reasons that I wanted the dedicated macro as well as the 50-500 are weight and inability to use flash with the larger lens. Even Noushka thought I'd been using the macro lens for my previous post, when it was the 50-500 that I'd used!

      Have a great week. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Richard, I will certainly have a look at it. I use my 55 - 300mm for almost everything including my macro but I do struggle to focus with it if I get too close. Take care. Cheers Diane

      Delete
    3. I can focus to within 3 or 4 inches of the lens hood with the Sigma 50-500, Diane! It's brilliant in that respect!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning Richard, the close ups are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Your kind words are much appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard, wonderful set of images and the new lens appears to be working well, you will find the same as I did with the new lens, it takes a while to get the hang of settings for different occasions but for saying that you seem to be doing very well. Great post, see you soon. John

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss leaving a comment on this fabulous post, Richard? There are some really stunning images here. With the variety of lenses you are using now I am sure you have the right equipment for every circumstance. Whether they are on the camera when you need them is another matter entirely! Your dragonflies will be leaving you soon - cause for great sadness I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, David. Right lens at the right time is a potential problem which I had to mull over before I splashed out on the new lens. I'll only be using the macro lens if a primarily butterfly or dragonfly session is in prospect - otherwise I'll have the zoom lens on the camera. I'm certainly not going to be carrying two lenses with me when I'm out in the field as I'm trying to cut down on the weight I carry! However, I shall possibly be making sure I have both lenses in the car when I set out. I did this to my advantage at the end of August, as you will see in my next blog post! Given another month, however, there will be little wildlife to use the macro on.

      My love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. The new lens is well up to the job. It may be worth investing in a small blac umbrella to minimise reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with it so far, Adrian. I'm not sure that the umbrella trick would work with dragonflies as they tend to disappear if you cast a shadow over them. However it might do wonders for my image (I'm talking about my personal image here - not that captured by the camera!)

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard,

    These are really beautiful pictures.
    I also read the link in your blog to a previous post and commented on that too. This post also contains the most beautiful dragonflies and I really have to send you a very big compliment :-)
    Really beautiful!

    Regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those very kind words, Helma. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.