Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 24 September 2017

In The Company of Royalty - on 3rd September, 2017

Without a doubt, Kingfisher is one of my favourite birds. Lindsay and I used to see quite a few when we had our small cruiser based on the canals and I got some photos that were quite pleasing at the time, although they fall well short of what I would be happy with these days.

It's a few years now since we sold the boat, and my subsequent sightings of Kingfisher have been infrequent, to say the least, and resulted in very distant 'record' shots, blue blurs or, more usually, nothing at all! I was, therefore, over the moon to find myself looking at Kingfishers in a local location.

The first bird to appear was a male. He performed beautifully, giving the opportunity for a wide variety of shots including intimate close-up portraits. Fortunately, for this location, the sun was not shining, but it was relatively bright.

I make no apologies for the number of images in this post. This session was, and I'm confident will remain, my avian highlight of the year - even outstripping the juvenile Long-eared Owl encounter in Scotland and the Hoopoe in Loughborough!

All the images below are in strictly chronological order, which I hope will help to convey some of the action. 





















Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - Leicestershire
The flight photos are a bit shabby as I was set up for stills. After this, the male flew off down to the brook, but I only had to wait six minutes before the female arrived. She also performed quite well but spent most of her time fishing from a stick which was close to the hide. The hide was busy with people and I was not in the best position to maximise the opportunities whilst she was here. Nevertheless I'm delighted with what I did get! The preening session was somewhat of a bonus!















Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (female) - Leicestershire
All the above took place in a period of two hours and twenty minutes duration. It was one of my most memorable birdwatching sessions ever, and all because of a single species!

I have made three return visits since then and, although the birds did not show for long, the results were a little different and so may appear in a future post.

Thank you for dropping by. I suspect my next post may feature Red Grouse.

22 comments:

  1. You are a lucky man, beautiful images of the male Kingfisher, great Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Luck was certainly the most significant factor here!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. The Kingfisher must surely be one of, if not the most photographed of all our birds, and you have achieved some of the best examples during your time with these birds Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having had this amazing session, Pete, I can fully understand why Kingfishers are such a popular subject for photography - when one gets the chance!! They are visually exciting in their plumage, adopt extremely attractive poses when static, and are fabulous to watch when in action. In a nutshell - superstars! Thank you for your kind words.

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. I cannot imagine that anyone will be anything but delighted to see this sequence, Richard, and everyone will be delighted at the sequential coverage. Some of these images are truly outstanding in my opinion, rivalling Noushka's work even - and it doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those extremely kind words of encouragement, David. I'm sure, however, that I've got a long way to go before I achieve Noushka's standards.

      With love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. An absolute pleasure to view these Richard. Cracking photos of a stunning bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. It would have been difficult to make a complete hash of the opportunities that these birds gave. Most of the credit musy go to the birds!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Perfect. There is little else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Best ever. FAbulous images. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret - I hope you have a wonderful week yourself!

      Delete
  7. I loved every shot,pure Magic Richard.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John, for those very kind words.

      With my best wishes to you and Sue - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Wow what a great performance but up by both male and female, it would certainly be memorable to me also if I saw that display. Not only did you enjoy it but thanks to you sharing it we have had a chance to enjoy it as well. Fabulous photos, well done.
    Have a great week, best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a truly wonderful experience, Diane. Thank you for your kind words.

      with my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Oh how wonderful pictures! I would love to see this bird sometime. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I had never thought about it being absent from Finland. I guess it is because it can't fish in your winters as all the water is frozen! I hope that one day you will get to see one - they are wonderful to watch in action.

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. What a brilliant spot for them. I've never noticed the white feathers (images 3&4)acting like an air brake and wonder if that's why they do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never noticed those white feathers sticking out by the base of the bill, Doug, until I came to process the photos. I wondered if it was to slow itself down once it hit the water and had grabbed the fish. The water is very shallow there - you'd probably not get wet feet if you walked through it with wellies on!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Richard. I am so happy for you that at last you found the spot for enjoying and taking amazing captures of the Kingfisher. It took a lot of patience but succes at last.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. I suspect that this session will turn out to be my highlight of the year!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.