Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Siskin-fest - February/March, 2018

Warning! This post contains relatively few words (when compared with my usual efforts) and rather a lot of images of Siskins!

For a couple of weeks or so, the most numerous bird visiting our garden on many days has been Siskin. Whilst we get them most years at this time of year, we have never had them in such numbers. It is relatively unusual, at the moment, to look out of the window and a Siskin not be present. The weather, whilst no doubt contributing to their presence, has not, however, aided photography. I have, nevertheless, managed quite a few shots with the camera. If the images look as if they were taken in sunshine it's probably because I have tweaked the white-balance in many cases! All the shots were taken from the comfort of my study, through the window glass.

Tuesday, 6th February

The Siskins had arrived. We had just two this day - one male and one female.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Monday, 12th February

Although, during the preceding week, we'd had up to 5 Siskin in the garden (3m 2f), on this day we had just two again (1m 1f). The females were proving difficult to photograph!

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Wednesday, 14th February

It seems that the females wanted to get in on the action. On this day we had 5 females visit, with a solitary male. I got some shots of females!




Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden
Saturday, 17th February

We had two of each on this day, and I had a number of photo opportunities.




Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden


Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Sunday, 18th February

We peaked for the week on this day with 8 (4m 4f) Siskins arriving. I had a bit of a field day with photography, but again it was mainly the males that obliged.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden







Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Tuesday, 20th February

On this day we had six Siskin (4m 2f). I just managed a couple of shots of a male.


Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Thursday, 22nd February

On the Wednesday we had peaked at 10 Siskin (7m 3f), and we matched this number again on this day (5m 5f). I only got a couple of shots of a male bird.


Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Saturday, 24th February

I noted 4 males and 3 females this day. Here's one of the females that briefly stopped just 2 metres from my window.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden
Tuesday, 27th February

On this day we had 5 male Siskin and 2 females - and a little snow. This was the forerunner of worse to come!

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden
Thursday, 1st March 

The snow had arrived by the bucket load, and so had 14 Fieldfare which kept me occupied for a chunk of the day. I did, however, get a few of shots of Siskin in a snow-free spot outside my window.


Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
Friday, 2nd March

The Fieldfare peaked at 33 on this day, and will probably be the subject of a future post. These birds kept me busy with constantly defrosting the water supply and replenishing the apples that they were feeding on. I did manage a few Siskin shots, however. Here's a final shot for this post.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden
The Siskins are still with us and omnipresent, and I'm really enjoying their company. The Fieldfare departed on Sunday and have not been seen since, and a sense of normality has returned to the garden.



Garden List - Week 07 - 12th to 18th February, 2018 and Week 08 - 19th to 25th February, 2018

Apart from the Siskin high count of 8, Week 07 was relatively unexciting, although the species count was quite healthy at 22. The Redpoll count had dwindled down to just 2 (m+f), and Jackdaw (with the half-bald breast visited again one day. A male Sparrowhawk put in a brief, and unsuccessful, appearance on one day too.

Week 08 species count was down to 19 species. The two Redpoll were still around and the Siskin count, as mentioned above, had got up to 10 on two days.

 





































I hope that you have not found a long blog post with lots of images of just one species too boring. My next post will either be somewhat more varied, or might just cover the Fieldfares - I suspect the former - just to give a bit of variety.

I'm going to be heading into a rather busy period for a couple of weeks, so do not know when my next post will be.

Thank you for dropping by. 


22 comments:

  1. Fantastic Richard, and the Siskins are one of my favourite, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. They're a real treat for me in the garden - I shall be quite sad when they go! Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. So just remind me, what does a Siskin look like again!! A lovely series of shots Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure - I'll just go and have a look! Thanks, Marc. Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Wow what great shots. I have seen them rarely in our garden and have never managed a photo, but I see many of them in the farm next door. Not easy for me to get in there though to take photos. Our excitement though was a sighting of a Hawfinch on 28 Feb in the garden and I did get a photo. Think it was a one off not to be seen again! On the 27th I managed to get the cranes flying over, so 2 days of joy in February :-)

    Hope you are well, best wishes and take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Diane - a Hawfinch in the garden would be the highlight of the year for me! And cranes flying over would come a close second!

      We're not doing too badly here, thank you, although Lindsay is having trouble with her breasthing at the moment. She'll probably do better when it warms up a bit more. I hope that you both are over your ills now.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard,
    Wow so manny Siskin in your garden. Some great captures indeed.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. I suspect I'll never again see so many Siskins as this in the garden. I has been a real pleasure, and they are still with us - at least 7 at one time this morning!

      I hope that all is well with you, and that you are out enjoying that new camera. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. With visitors like this, Richard, it qualifies as an enchanted garden. Not a bad way to spend a snowy, miserable day - sitting in the warmth, no doubt fortified by hot tea and cookies, just shooting through the window. It is probably so appealing you’ll be wishing for more snow! With much love you you both, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be an enchanted garden now, David, but it looked decidedly maniacal last Friday when the Fieldfare invasion was at its peak - you know our small garden - can you envisage 33 Fieldfare fighting over apples, whilst there must have been in excess of 50 other birds trying to get at the bird feeders? This was all due to the weather.

      I didn't spend all the cold spell indoors - I did have some profitable sessions at a local bird hotspot. Sitting still in breezy sub-zero conditions took its toll after a couple of hours each time!

      Love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard! Awesome pictures! Lovely little birds;-))Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. They are wonderful little birds and full of courage! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Always good to see them. I used to see large flocks on the south side of Loch Ness. I never realised they were around this far south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only usually see them when they head over from the continent in late winter (sometimes in autumn) in these parts, Adrian. However, they are year-round residents in parts of Wales, East Anglia, and the South-West. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Not jealous, honest :-) cracking set of images Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. I expect that they'll be gone soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another blog post from you soon! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard,
    what can I say ... every picture a first-class portrais of the siskin,
    but why do they keep you so quiet? ..hahaha ;-))
    great series
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. At times it has been difficult to concentrate on getting things done because there has been so much to see in the garden! With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard. Amazed there were no ringed birds as per pics as a very high proportion of these and lesser redpoll can be ringed and the ringed read and origin of the birds found. Have you had any ringed birds - even part-reads might be traceable if the bird is a second calendar year ie known age and the last four or so numbers are visible. Thanks Pete Marsh (Lancs ringing recoveries coordinator for county bird report)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. Now you mention it, it does seem strange that there were no ringed birds. I'll be looking back through previous photos to see if there are any ringed ones. However, whilst I am conscious of a high percentage of visiting Redpoll being ringed, I have no recollection of seeing a ringed Siskin in the garden! Will let you know if I find any. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard!
    Yes indeed, many shots of Siskins but why not? You are lucky to have seen so many in your garden!
    Great pics!!
    I have to admit since I've sold my place, I don't get to photograph these birds very often now!
    I hope you are well and off to take more pics!
    I will be travelling again quite a bit in the following 2 months.
    Warm hugs to share with Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka. Sorry for the long silence - Lindsay and I have been on the Isles of Scilly with our daughter. And yes, I was taking more pics - just short of three and a half thousand of them! The major highlight was photographing a Snowy Owl in Snow!

      I hope your travels are enjoyable and productive.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.