Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 18 May 2018

Downy Emeralds - on Monday 14th May, 2018

I have a 'hit list' of dragonflies and damselflies that I hope to see this year, and on that list is Downy Emerald dragonfly. This species is described as being "local in the British Isles, and mainly concentrated south of the Thames". The species is notable for only emerging during a short period, and this is probably one of the easier times to photograph them at rest. I was, therefore, stirred into quick action when I got a 'heads up' from Marc Heath who had documented the emergence in spectacular fashion on Saturday 12th May at Thursley Common (Surrey), which you can find here.

On Monday 14th May, having set the alarm for 04h30, I was on my way at 05h15, with my SatNav, telling me I would arrive at 07h50. It's a long time since I did any motorway driving at this hour and I was surprised at just how much traffic was around at this time. I'd been hoping to be early enough to miss the worst of the traffic round the M25, but at the south end of the M40 the SatNav was already telling me I was facing 23 minutes of delay. I did the first 100 miles (160 km) in about an hour and a half, and the next 50 miles (80 km) on motorway took a further hour and a half. I eventually parked my car at Thursley Common Moat Car Park at about 08h30.

Having put on wellies, as recommended by Marc, I set off to explore. Almost immediately I met a gentleman and got into conversation with him. He'd seen three Downy Emeralds in a bush the previous week and had come back, hoping to get some better photos. We searched the immediate area and found nothing, and so wandered off to check out some other areas of the lake, in case I had misunderstood Marc's advice. We still found nothing, so came back to the original spot. 

It was then that the penny dropped as to why Marc had advised wellies, and I gingerly stepped onto the boggy area at the edge of the pond and was relieved that I only sank in by about 3-4 inches (75-100 mm). My new-found friend, Tony Hovell, had not brought wellies, however, so was virtually confined to dry land, although he did venture out at one point and got wet feet!

I found a few exuvia, a couple of which were from Downy Emerald, but the only thing moving was a Large Red Damselfly that had very recently emerged and had not yet managed to fully elongate its abdomen. It was too far away to get a decent shot with the Sigma 150 macro, and so I went back to the car for breakfast and changed the lens to the Sigma 50-500 as it looked as if I would need the reach of that lens. 

On my way back to the corner at around 09h30, I met up with Tony again, and we spotted our first dragonfly - and it was a Downy Emerald! I spent a while trying to capture this creature in flight, but was having difficulty getting it in frame and in focus. Eventually I found a technique which helped, and got a few shots. 


Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) (male) - Thursley Common, Surrey
We returned to the corner, spotting a pair of Redstarts that Tony had told me were there when he'd visited the previous week. It was apparent that the conditions had suddenly become suitable for the dragonflies and damselflies to become active.

I soon started to notice something that was giving some issues for photography, and that was the huge amount of pollen in the air which was coating everything, including my camera and the dragonflies. This rather interfered with the clarity of detail in my shots.

For a while, I 'had my eye in', and was getting a number of shots of the dragonflies in flight, although, for the above mentioned reason, I'm not over-happy with the results. Here are some more from the session:-







Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) (male) - Thursley Common, Surrey
After a while, I seemed to lose the ability to track the Emeralds with the camera, probably due to fatigue - my arms were aching! I only once saw a Downy Emerald settle - it was on Tony's bush, and literally for a second and I missed the shot!

I was relatively dedicated to observing the Emeralds, but I did break briefly on a few occasions to photograph other species.

Apart from the previously-mentioned newly emerged Large Red Damselfly (first image below) I saw the start of another LRD emergence (2nd image), but didn't spend any time on it because of the awkward angle and wanting to concentrate on the Emeralds. I did take some shots of adults too (the last one is a male).




Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - Thursley Common
There were a couple of Four-spotted Chasers mixing it with the Downy Emeralds from time to time, but these usually settled back on their distant territorial watch-points. I was glad I'd got the reach of the 50-500.




Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Thursley Common
There were several  blue damselflies around, but I admit to largely ignoring them. I did take a few shots - all of them of Azure Damselfly. The second image shows, on the lily pad, just how much pollen was falling out of the air.


Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Thursley Common
All the while I was at the Moat Pond, there was a seemingly endless stream of people with binoculars and cameras passing on their way to see 'the Cuckoo'. It seems that this Cuckoo has been trained to come to mealworms and approaches photographers to within just a few metres. If I'd not been on a mission, I might have been tempted - but I'm not sure. I did, however, take a couple of shots of the male Redstart that was keeping us company.


Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) (male) - Thursley Common
By 13h00, a while after Tony had departed, I was feeling rather tired and, as I was due at a wake that evening, and not wanting to fight rush-hour traffic again, I set off homeward. I got home a few minutes before 16h00, but was extremely tired and had a headache, so decided I should miss the wake. 

I wish that Thursley was closer to home, and that the getting there was not so frustratingly traffic-bound. I only covered a minute part of the place and the Dragonfly Boardwalk which, I am told, is also frequented by lizards, sounds rather interesting. I could probably enjoy a couple of days exploring there, so maybe I'll return one day? Certainly I'd enjoyed this day, and Tony's company added to the occasion.

As for the Downy Emeralds, I am booked to be on a British Dragonfly Society visit to a private site in Northamptonshire in mid-June, where the main target is this species. I suspect that I'll not even do as well as this visit to Thursley as there will be a dozen of us, and it's never so easy when one is in a sizable group. However, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 

Thank you for dropping by. Once again, I'm not sure at this stage what my next post will be.

32 comments:

  1. When you said you may not have many shots I was a bit worried but I can say looking at your photos that you have achieved some stunning flight shots. I would be very happy with these. well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Marc - coming from the master, they mean a lot to me! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Downy Emerald is even a new dragonfly for me, Richard - not that I have much expertise with European odenates. It was a long drive, but the results made it all worthwhile I am sure. I always carry a pair of rubber boots in the car and on more than one occasion I have been glad that I do. I used to also carry a spare pair of socks but the water hasn’t gone over the tops of my boots for a while. I tend to be just a tad more careful these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my growing increase in dragonflies, David, I'm tending to leave a pair of 'wellies' in the car at all times. The problem is when I find myself needing them when I'm half an hour away from the car! They're not an item I'd choose to wear unless I thought they'd be necessary. I often work on the principle that if I get wet socks they'll dry out on my feet eventually! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. You are right, rubber boots are not the most comfortable footwear. I find that the biggest irritation is that my socks slide down.

      Delete
    3. A problem I know too well, David. I'm tending to use a short fur-lined (mock fur of course!) pair and they're still comfortable when the socks are down - probably OK with no socks too!

      Delete
  3. These are state of the art flight shots. It was worth fighting the traffic and a headache. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. This is another thoroughly enjoyable post, Richard! Magnificent photography of dazzling dragons and darling damsels! You even thought of me and threw in a handsome Redstart!

    I don't care how good your equipment is, it takes artistry, skill and a lot of patience to produce images such as these. Birds in flight can be impressive, but capturing dragons on the wing - that's a whole other level of "wow"!

    Very impressive!

    We are apparently in monsoon season here as the daily rains provide much needed water but sure puts a literal "damper" on outdoor photography!

    Gini and I send you and Lindsay best wishes and hope your new week will be full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally. The Downy Emerald is a little bit obliging in that it has the habit of occasionally 'hovering' for just a second, or two if you're lucky! It was a matter of selecting a smallish area to try and get shots in and not deviating from it, pre-focusing at an appropriate distance but leaving the camera in autofocus continuous focus mode, and then waiting for the dragon to enter the zone, finding it in the viewfinder, and pressing the shutter button in the hope that the camera refined the focus in time! It seems to have worked for some of the time on this occasion!

      I'm sorry to hear of your inconsiderate weather. In contrast, we have been particularly lucky this past week, and I'm hoping it holds for tomorrow as I'm dragon hunting again.

      Wishing you and Gini all the best and hoping you can get out with the camera soon - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Amazing pictures. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those Dragonflies are amazing Richard, the one flying is fabulous. What is the speed you aimed them. And there was a Redstart, far out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. If you're asking about the camera settings, I was changing them from time to time, but to give you an example, that fourth image, where the wings are 'stopped' was taken with the lens zoomed at 210mm, ISO 1000, 1/2500s - f/8 with a -0.7EV compensation. I also always work with a fixed Colour Temp of 5560K. If you're asking for the speed of the dragonfly - I haven't got a clue!!!

      I never have been able to resist a Redstart!!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks Richard, cheers for the info, I will try that.

      Delete
    3. Also, Bob, I use autofocus in continuous focus mode for the flight shots.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant series of Cordulia aenea, Richard and your photos are very sharp and clean! Probably of the best I've seen, including mine ;-)
    I wonder if I would the patience to go back to these subjects!!
    But I wouldn't have the time... Between my african trips, I go to the Pyrenees to "stalk" the Western capercaillie.
    I hope you are enjoying a good weather, keep well my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noushka. I can understand your reasons for not having time for the odonata, but I am, nevertheless, saddened that we are not seeing more wonderful images from you of these fabulous creatures.

      Our weather here has been rather good for well over a week now - I just wish I had more time to get out and take advantage of it!

      With my very best wishes. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind reply Richard!
      Now I feel coaxed to get out and try odonata macros again! LOL!
      I'll see next week if the rain wants to let go... I can't believe how wet it still is here and it makes want to go back to Africa to find some sun!! Well in 3 weeks from now I'll be in a plane back to Botswana :)
      Enjoy your weekend

      Delete
  8. Wow!!! Las fotos de la libélula en vuelo son increíbles, con mi cámara es imposible hacer ese trabajo, que envidia!!! Enhorabuena por este reportaje Richard, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos. Un abrazo desde España, todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Germán. La lente Sigma 50-500 es extremadamente versátil, ¡y no demasiado cara! Con los mejores deseos de un Reino Unido soleado y ventoso - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    nice photos taken just the flight photos are you, I think, had very well succeeded me sometimes tried but without success, only the poor have hurt .. ;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Frank. I was lucky on this occasion! Woth my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Wow your flight shots are excellent,we are very envious,we don't get Downy Emeralds in Cornwall.
    Also love your Redstart shots stunning Bird,not seen any this year,must try harder.
    Loved looking,this post is brilliant.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, John. I'm sorry to hear you don't get the Downies in your neck of the woods. They do seem to be a bit restricted in their location, and I suspect that your journey to see them would be even longer than mine!

      With my very best wishes to you and Sue - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard,
    I am really jealous of those beautiful pictures of the emerald dragonfly. Last Monday I also tried to photograph these but the dragonflies kept shaving back and forth across the water. I finally have a few pictures but they can go to the trash now I see your pictures. Really beautiful !!!

    The firefighter and also the other damselflies and dragonflies are beautifully put on the foot. And finally a nice red tail.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Helma. I am sorry that I have not replied before now, but I have been away. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. As a general rule I always like to be at the M25 by 5am to avoid the pre-rush hour
    Truly impressed with the flight shots Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug. Sorry to take so long to publish your comment here. Until recently, blogger sent me an email to tell me when I had comments awaiting moderation. I suddenly found I had a stack of comments awaiting moderation that I'd not been notified of. This new privacy act seems to have stopped them from sending these messages.

      M25 by 5am would mean leaving home at 3am for me - I don't fancy that! Would probably be too knackered to operate the camera!

      Delete
  13. How did I miss this post? Fabulous photos and I actually managed to get a first photo of a dragonfly in our garden the other day, not normally resident around here, a Broad-bodied Chaser, I was delighted. I still miss your owls though even though these photos are superb. Well done.
    Take care and have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. Sorry to take so long to publish your comment - please see my reply to Doug above for the reason.

      Delighted to hear you photographed a Broad-bodied Chaser. Not had my first of those yet this year.

      All things being equal, I think I can promise an owl in my next post!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Hi Richard, I have the same problem with Google stopping emails which I find a real pain. They also seemed to have stopped checking spelling as well, and I have to admit that I do not always pick up spelling mistakes when checking comments quickly that I have typed. My fingers have never behaved 100% when typing!!!
    Glad that you are back and looking forward to further posts. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.