Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 16 November 2018

Cut Across Shorty - on 11th November to 16th November, 2018

Prompted by a report of Short-eared Owl at a site near my home on Saturday 10th November, I set off to Longmoor Lake, near Normanton Le Heath, after lunch on the Sunday.

Sunday, 11th November

The bird had been reported as seen on the east side of the lake, and I arrived to find one birder leaving, and another (a person known to me) waiting patiently by a gate. So far, there'd been no sign of Short-eared Owl (SEO) that day. 

Because my brain was telling me that 'east' was in a different direction to actuality, I exchanged phone numbers with the gentleman by the gate and went off to look in another area, which looked very promising - I was, in fact, to the north of the lake, as I discovered later when I took out my phone to check my location.

Several other people turned up to try and find the SEO but favoured the place by the gate. A couple that had already given up and were heading out, stopped to chat with me and suddenly I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye. It was the typical curved drop to the ground that an owl makes. Within a few moments the owl was spotted - we had our SEO!

I phoned the person by the gate, and then put out a message on the Leicestershire and Rutland Ornithological Society (LROS) WhatsApp group. Soon I was joined by others, including my old pal Rhys who had been elsewhere on site. The bird stayed distant, quartering the field that we were standing at the edge of.  Occasionally, it flew over the hedge, and then came back again. However, on one occasion, what we originally thought was the same bird came down the far side of hedgeline. It was then that Rhys spotted that there was another SEO back in the original field - we had two SEOs in view!

The bird that had flown down the hedgeline had continued over to the east side of the lake. The original bird quartered the field for a while more, then crossed over the track in front of us, briefly stopped in a distant tree, and then joined the other bird on the east side of the lake.

I didn't get any particularly pleasing images from that session, but here are a few for the record:-





Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - by Longmoor Lake
I also took a few distant shots of a very busy Stonechat. Here's one:-

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - by Longmoor Lake
Monday, 12th November

I returned to have another attempt at getting photos of the Short-eared Owls. To my delight, however, the first owl to appear was a Barn Owl.

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - by Longmoor Lake
When the SEOs did arrive, they made their way to the east side of the lake fairly quickly. I decided to head over and join the people there, but this turned out (for me) to be a wrong decision. The owls kept relatively low and a lot of intervening shrubs made photography quite difficult. As the light faded, one of the owls flew past to my original position and spent a little while there - I should have stayed put! This very poor shot was the best I came up up with of a SEO that day.

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - by Longmoor Lake
Tuesday, 13th November

I stuck to my resolve to hold my original position on the north side of the lake this day, and had no regrets that I did so.

As on the previous day, the Barn Owl was first to put in an appearance, and it was an absolute delight to watch it hunting.





Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - by Longmoor Lake
Soon, the first SEO appeared, and it became apparent that SEO and Barn Owl were heading towards each other. I'm kicking myself for missing the talon to talon moment when they met, but only managed a 'record shot' with both birds in the frame - possibly never to be repeated for me.

Barn Owl and Short-eared Owl - by Longmoor Lake
I did fall short of getting satisfying SEO images, but managed a few that didn't go straight into the bin - I'm not too disappointed with the last one of the trio.



Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - by Longmoor Lake
Wednesday, 14th November

I was back again, and very firmly resolved to stay at the north end of the lake. The Barn Owl was already out when I arrived just after 15h00.


Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - by Longmoor Lake
The SEOs appeared just a short while later. I witnessed  several interactions between Barn Owl and SEO and a couple of interactions between SEOs, all at a distance, and didn't manage to capture any images. However, from where the action took place, I was definitely in the right place. The penultimate image, although of poorer quality, is there as it shows the owl with prey.










Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - by Longmoor Lake
There were at least two SEOs present that evening, but I suspect that there may have been more. My companion commented with words to the effect that life doesn't get much better than this, and I had to agree. Watching owls hunting is the most fabulous experience!

I did not feel able to return on the Thursday evening as I was giving a talk on owls that night and wanted to conserve my energies.

Friday, 16th November

I had a call from friend, Doc Martin, to ask if I was going to Longmoor Lake, and as I was, in spite of the very dull weather with a chance of rain that was forecast, he kindly offered to give me a lift. 

On arrival  on site, I was very disappointed to see that some irresponsible persons had decided that it was acceptable to stand outside in front of the hide, especially when there are signs to state that this is a 'no access' area.

Martin and I headed for my usual position beyond the other end of the lake. At least two Short-eared Owls were present and we witnessed several altercations between pairs of owls. However, photography was nearly impossible, and this 'record shot' is the best I could manage. The Barn Owl didn't show while we were there.


Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - by Longmoor Lake
Better weather is forecast for the weekend and, all things being equal, I shall be back again, so it might well be owls again in my next blog post - especially if I am able to get better images than I have so far.

- and the title of this blog post - it seems that, whenever I'm watching a distant Short-eared Owl, I'm silently humming to myself Eddie Cochran's 'Cut Across Shorty'!

Thank you for your visit.



24 comments:

  1. The Short-eared Owl and Barn Owl are beautiful, flying, you caught them very well Richard. And, I love Eddie Cochran, superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. They are such wonderful birds to watch in action. My very best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Lovely series and encounters Richard. Always magical to watch these beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. It's great to have such wonderful birds to watch, now that the dragons have gone. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. My word, Richard, this kind of interaction with owls is hard to beat. I have seen many Short-eared Owls, and have seen them hunting and carrying prey, but Barn Owl is another matter entirely. I have not even seen many of them, and always perched or roosting birds. I have never had what must be the exquisite pleasure of seeing them floating across a field in crepuscular light hunting in that unique fashion they have. It brings to mind those early classic images taken by Eric Hosking, surely one of the finest wildlife photographers ever. I don’t know whether you are familiar with hs work, but he actually lost an eye to a Tawny Owl. I have a whole series of books written by him and about him.
    East may not be east at times, but whatever the direction you had an experience not to be forgotten. To have both Barn Owl and Tawny Owl in the same frame is nothing short of remarkable. The photographs don’t match your award winning Snowy Owl image but the experience must have ranked among the most satisfying ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could happily stand and watch owls in flight all day long, David. I tend to find myself getting a bit emotional as I do so! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these owls will stay for the winter, and that irresponsible photographers don't disturb them - 'name and shame' actions may have to be taken, judging by yesterday's observations, and I've been requested to report any unacceptable behaviour I observe.

      By strange coincidence, it was only on Thursday, during my talk to a local group, that I warned of the dangers of approaching a Tawny Owl nest, and cited Eric Hosking's unfortunate experience. I seem to remember reading that, on occasion, he had a similarly afflicted companion and they "only had one pair of eyes between them".

      My love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. I think these are wonderful but then I'm not a birder. I had forgotten the song, Rod Stewart is who I associate it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unaware of Rod Stewart's version, Adrian, until I searched on Youtube for Eddie Cochran's. Although it's a lot more basic and raw, I still prefer Eddie's! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. WOW Richard. Tow wonderful Owl species in one day and I think you did extremely well to take all thses photographs to show us. .Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I've been having a fabulously enjoyable time at this location and, hopefully, there's more to come! My very best wishes to you. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Photos for the record; wow I would be so happy if these were my photos. Both owls are just amazing, but to catch them both together in the same shot is fantastic. Love the little stonechat as well.
    I do not remember the song at all and with our internet I have no chance of finding out if I recognise it when played!!
    Have a good Sunday, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! I'm getting a great deal of pleasure out of these owls. It's a real privilege to be able to watch them. I was there again today, but only managed a few distant photos of the Barn Owl.
      I'm sorry to hear of your continuing internet woes - are there any plans to improve the situation?

      Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and have a good week ahead - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Yep, I think 'amazing birds' probably covers it! Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Evi, for your visit. Best wishes from UK - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    again a great treat to see your pictures, super nice
    thank you for showing
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I'm delighted that you enjoyed them. Best wishes from a cold and wet England - - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard,
    really beautiful pictures of this short-eared owl. You could also photograph the barn owl in flight. Nicely interspersed with the roodborsttapuit.
    I read your disappointment about people who always have to stand in front and destroy everything for a nice photo. Unfortunately these are people who have absolutely no respect for nature but only for their own gain.
    My compliments for your beautiful series of these owls. I'm really jealous of that.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Helma. Those selfish photographers make it difficult for the birds, and also make it difficult for the majority of photographers who respect the subjects that they wish to photograph.

      Have a good weekend, and take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Wow,you did very well to capture both Owls.
    These are stunning images,my next task is the Barn owl.
    After seeing these wonderful shots,I'm more determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do find a Barn Owl to photograph, John, and I look forward to seeing the results. Owls are such fabulous birds to watch in action.

      Thank you so much for your kind words that are much-appreciated.

      My very best wishes to you and Sue - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Llevo casi dos meses sin publicar ni visitar mis blogs favoritos por motivos laborales y no dejo de asombrarme con todo lo que me he perdido, otro reportaje que me deja sin palabras. Enhorabuena Richard, eres un genio.
    Todo lo mejor desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamento mucho saber que ha estado demasiado ocupado para el tiempo de ocio, Germán, pero tal vez "demasiado ocupado" es mejor que "no hay suficiente trabajo". Es bueno verte de nuevo en Bloggerland. Gracias por sus amables palabras que son muy apreciadas. Con mis mejores deseos de una Inglaterra muy húmeda - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.