Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 24 November 2018

Do I or Don't I - - mid- November, 2018

The local Short-eared owl site seems to have attracted a number of photographers who's only interest is 'getting the shot', with no consideration for the welfare of the wildlife around them, and the comfort of other birdwatchers and photographers who want to observe the fabulous spectacle that the presence of these birds offers.

This has, inevitably, led to the suppression of news about these birds on the various major bird news sites and social media groups. I had, therefore, to think long and hard as to whether to do this blog post on the owls.

I came to the conclusion that my audience is small enough, and comprises mainly people that I know to be responsible birders/photographers, and that a blog post from me would make no difference to the situation. I will, however, not take my usual step of announcing this blog post on Twitter. I will also not be mentioning the location of these birds in this, and future, posts.

My blog is, primarily, my own personal diary, but one that I am happy to share with others. I am not about to let a few selfish people interfere with my own enjoyment of my love of wildlife.

What I will be doing, however, is complying with a request to report any persons acting irresponsibly to the main ornithological bodies pertaining to the area. I carry a camera!

OK - now to the owls

Saturday, 17th November

The light was not good and, although Short-eared Owls were seen, I only got just-usable shots of Barn Owl.



Barn Owl (Tyto Alba)
Sunday, 18th November

As I passed through the site, I noticed someone standing in a no-go area outside the hide (much to the annoyance of those in the hide, I was subsequently told). Fortunately someone in the hide got a better photo of the miscreant than I did from the path nearly 150 metres away.

The light was quite good at times, but when a Short-eared Owl settled on a post less than 50 metres from my position it was almost directly into the setting sun! With the naked eye, the owl appeared as a silhouette, and it was almost impossible to tell which way it was facing. Oh well - better luck next time!! I guess, with greater post-processing skills (or photography skills), I could have made a better job of this shot.

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
The sun soon dipped down, but I did manage more shots of SEO. These might not be crisp detailed portrait shots, but I rather like the atmosphere they convey.



Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
When a Barn Owl eventually appeared it was over the other side of a field, where it stopped on a post for a while.

Barn Owl (Tyto Alba)
Other commitments, and the forecast of rain, kept me away from the owls for a couple of days, but I did make it down there on the Wednesday.

Wednesday, 21st November

I arrived on site and, a few minutes before 3 p.m., witnessed two owls having an altercation at the far side of the plantation. Sadly, they chose to do this in an area beset by wires.

Short-eared Owls (Asio flammeus)
It was over half an hour before I started to get my next photographic opportunities. The light had faded and most people had given up. However, although these shots again lack crisp detail, I rather like the atmosphere created by the almost monochrome effect of shooting in low light and high ISO.





Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
That session ended at 15h36, and it was 15h49 before the next opportunity when two owls had another brief fracas at altitude, and then went their separate ways, but the light was awful.


Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
I stayed for a short while longer, with no sight of the owls, and believe I was the last, other than dog-walkers, to leave the site. No Barn Owl was seen on this occasion.

Due to weather conditions and other commitments, I've not managed a visit since Wednesday, but am hoping to visit again tomorrow (Sunday 25th).


I think my next post will have a different subject matter - it might even feature wildlife in my garden.

Thank you for dropping by.

20 comments:

  1. Hello Richard: I don’t know what to do about yahoos who display no regard for the wildlife, nor for their fellow citizens. Other than public shaming there seems to be no answer to the problem, because unless they are trespassing or committing some other illegal act, there is no redress. And a few admonitions from others would probably fall on very deaf ears as it concerns those idiots. It probably is small consolation that the problem is not confined to Britain. Our love to you both, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David. I've not managed to get to this site as often as I would have liked to this past week, but when I have, the problem seems to have diminished somewhat. I suspect that the considerable backlash that the perpetrators experienced may have had some effect - we live in hope - but they've probably just taken their unacceptable behaviour elsewhere! The forecast is for a very wey week in these parts, so I'll probably not be back there again for a while. My love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. I agree the low light adds rather than subtracts from these images. Just great to see the see beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you like the low-light effect Adrian, and that it's not just me! They are fabulous birds to watch. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. It seems we live in a world now where more photographers exist than genuine birders. Many of these people don't even carry binoculars with them. The knock on effect seems to be that they will get their photo at whatever cost. The best thing to do nowadays is to keep things quiet and not mention locations within shots although if you work a patch, it's easy to work out locations. One of my reasons for turning to the dark side (dragonflies) was the amount of photographers around just wishing to get their shots and not giving a care to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see your point of view, Marc. I've never found an unpleasant situation when out with the dragons, and often found that people who see me photographing them take a pleasant interest in what I'm doing, with which I'm always pleased to engage. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. yes i agree Keep things quiet and do not let people know about these sites that do not care for Nature and all wildlife. Loved your shots of the Owls even with thee wires

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I'm finding it quite therapeutic being back with the owls again, in spite of the efforts of the inconsiderate few! Have a great week - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. OH wow!!
    I envy your pictures naturally, but I also agree that some photographers are desperately selfish.
    We this behaviour here too unfortunately.
    I had 7 or 8 Barn owls living on my property in the woods but approaching them meant disturbance so I after a first and only try I preferred to leave them in peace.
    Great post Richard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those much-appreciated kind words, Carine.

      It must have been wonderful to have so many Barn Owls on your property. I have no idea where the Barn Owls I'm seeing at this site are nesting, and I do not want to know, as it would be illegal to approach the nest without a special licence.

      Have a wonderful rest-of-week, and take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Absolutely beautiful are out of a world, thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. The owls are so very special for me, and it is great to be seeing them again. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. I will never understand people who want to disturb wild life of any sort. So many are disappearing from our planet and they need every bit of help they can to survive. With designated places that you can see from you are lucky, but why must people still be difficult and spoil it for others. I will never understand the human race!!!

    Love each and every one of your photos, the back lighting just makes it a bit different and interesting. It is really good to see you back photographing owls again.

    Have a happy week and take lots of photos to share with us all. Best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Diane, there are some very selfish people out there, when it comes to wildlife photography, and the welfare of their subjects is of little concern to them. It needs clamping down on - give them an inch and they'll take a mile. I take some consolation in that they're only shooting them with cameras, however. There are too many sick people out there that would prefer to use a gun.

      Thanks to a kind person that approached me after a talk on owls that I gave recently, I was invited, last night, to see the Tawny Owl that regularly visits his garden. Probably didn't get any usable photos - I'll be checking later today.

      Have a wonderful rest of week. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard! How wonderful birds!! Good night;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Unas fotos extraordinarias de Tyto Alba y Asio flammeus en vuelo, yo solo las conseguido fotografiar posadas, que envidia tengo de tus fotos. Enhorabuena Richard por este gran trabajo, un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soy muy afortunado, Germán, ya que cuando visito este sitio a menudo veo estas aves, pero por lo general están muy lejos. No espero visitarlos durante algunos días, ya que tenemos previsiones de lluvia para el resto de la semana. Gracias por sus amables palabras - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard,
    it would not be really good if bird watchers came to your site to trick you into locations where you shot these owls. It is deeply sad that there are still "people" who are destroying everything for a perfect picture.
    I love the owls in your blog site :-)

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Helma. Sadly, in spite of publicity about bad behaviour, people were still going into places where they shouldn't when I visited again yesterday.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.