Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 28 December 2019

Christmas Day Picnic Lunch - 25th December, 2019

For many years, Lindsay and I celebrated Christmas with a Christmas Day picnic lunch in the countryside. However, for the past three years we have, at their request, enjoyed Christmas Day lunch with our daughter and granddaughter in their house. Developments in the effects of our granddaughter's autism have now resulted in Christmas having to be a non-event for our daughter and granddaughter, and so Lindsay and I decided that we'd revert to the Christmas Day picnic.

We'd decided to revisit a local nature reserve for the event - until a friend told us seven days beforehand that the area was inaccessible because of floods! We therefore started looking for alternatives.

Things got more complicated when Lindsay started a heavy cold on 23rd December. She did feel well enough, however, to visit our favourite Thai restaurant, 'Thai Marina' at Barton Marina, for lunch on Christmas Eve, and a very fine lunch it was too. On the way back, our route took us close to the flooded nature reserve and Lindsay agreed to us checking it out as a possibility.

The nature reserve has a private drive of around three quarters of a mile (1 km) length, accessible through a secure gate. Part-way along this drive we found the problem, with considerable lengths of the approach road under water. If I had not known the road well, and if we had not been in our 4x4 with good ground clearance, I would not have attempted it. However, we managed to get through with caution and, having arrived in the car park and checked out the state of the hides, we decided that, given that the weather forecast was very good for the following day, we'd go for it!

Lindsay was feeling rather worse when we woke up on Christmas Day, but was determined to carry on as planned, although we did simplify the picnic somewhat. We chose and prepared our own fare, with Lindsay opting for crackers, a dip, crisps, Christmas cake, and a flask of coffee, and me making up a turkey and mayo baguette, and packing a sloe gin mince tart, and a bottle of elderflower tonic water. 

By the time we left home, the forecast of unbroken sunshine had moderated to unbroken cloud cover! The journey there was pleasant and the roads weren't too busy, and the floods were negotiated once more without difficulty. We settled in the first hide and, having unpacked our lunch, enjoyed the view whilst eating.

the view during Christmas Lunch
Although the view was splendid, nothing was seen of any great interest, and the birds stayed very distant for most of the time. The grey day also made photography difficult.

Ducks were there in the form of Gadwall, Mallard, Wigeon, and Goldeneye. I did attempt a few shots of a very distant drake Goldeneye but failed, with the best I could do shown below

Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (male)
At one point, I tried to photograph a duck that flew past and had me mystified at the time. I can see now that it was a female Goldeneye.

Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (female)
I didn't attempt any photos of the Cormorants, but now wish I had as one was in rather fine plumage exhibiting much white. However, it was a very long way away. There were a few Grey Heron and a couple flew a bit closer.


Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
At one point, a heron flew in and made a most inelegant landing, although it soon regained its composure!



Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
The real stars of our visit were, however, the delightful Long-tailed Tits. A flock of 12 birds was almost constantly in attendance and, on occasion, came much closer to us than any of the other birds, keeping us entertained during our stay.





Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus)
After about half an hour, the cold was getting to Lindsay, and it was time to head home and finish our picnic in the warmth.  The heated seats in the car were put to good use during the journey!

It had been a most enjoyable interlude, in spite of not seeing anything outstanding, and the change of scenery had been most welcome.

You may have noticed that I have refrained from stating the location of our picnic. I have to confess that this is entirely for selfish reasons. Both times that we have been here on Christmas Day, ours has been the only car on the reserve, and not one other soul has been seen - we quite like it that way!

I wish all my readers a happy and healthy New Year. My 2020 vision is that it should be a better year for the planet, and the wildlife that the planet belongs to. Please do all you can to further this objective.

29 comments:

  1. Well that's one way to spend Christmas day, with nature. Sounds like it was all worthwhile in the end too with some nice sightings. I wish you and your family a Happy New year. Fingers crossed lots of wildlife crosses your path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. We do enjoy our Christmas picnics, and it does have the advantage that we're less likely to over-stuff ourselves with food and have an uncomfortable evening, or get drunk by mid-day!

      Have a great 2020 yourself - fingers are crossed that we'll meet up during the year.

      Delete
  2. I love the determination to get out and have your Christmas day picnic lunch Richard.

    KT tells me of 8 Long-tailed Tit in procession through our garden the other day, delightful creatures which I missed.

    A Very Happy New Year to you Richard/Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long-tailed Tits always raise our spirits when we see them, Pete - we had four visit the garden briefly on Boxing Day.

      Have a great 2020 yourselves, Pete and KT

      Delete
  3. Even a short visit to such a lovely location lifts the spirits, doesn’t it? I hope Lindsay is recovering; Barry is improving although his cough rattles the windows! My garden birds are keeping me entertained - nothing unusual to report but I’m happy with the regular visitors - although less impressed with the grey squirrel that has found the feeders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear that Barry's health is improving, Linda, even if you end up having to re-putty the windows. Lindsay is starting to get better now too. It's not her cough that causes problems, however, but her sneezing. The volume of Lindsay's sneezing has always been the stuff of legends, but currently it's got to the point that it's painful - for me, and I'm having to turn down my hearing aids! It's scaring the living daylights out of the birds in the garden.

      I have to confess that, maybe controversially, I'm rather fond of squirrels and, although I do not actively encourage them, I find their antics quite charming when they are in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard! How wonderful nature, and incredibly beautiful photos. I wish you a wonderful new year;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, and an excellent New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Wow a picnic on Christmas day, I hate the cold and picnics for me come only at a minimum of 26°C !! I admire your spirit. Lindsay in particular not feeling well.

    I love the photos you have taken, and those Long-tailed tits are just gorgeous. I hope by now Lindsay is feeling better and that you stay clear of the bugs.

    Happy and healthy 2020. Our very best wishes to you both Diane and Nigel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A minimum of 26°C! - you've been away from UK for too long Diane, and are getting soft!! Lindsay and I have even been known to sit in a park in Northumberland in January, and eat ice creams in the falling snow!

      Lindsay is feeling much better now, but has a hacking cough which is a bit antisocial so we're not going out at present.

      I hope that you and Nigel have a wonderfully happy and healthy 2020. My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I had a terrible cough when we came back from RSA it went on and on, I feel for Lindsay.
      Richard, I lived in Africa for 50 years, Christmas was always salads and in the swimming pool!
      Re your comment on my blog. I wish I had your photography skills and your knowledge!!

      Delete
  6. Ah the joy of a Long-tailed Tit. I am quite sure I could make wallpaper out of your header and be happy with it. It surely is among the most delightful of little birds, and the fact that they are generally encountered in small flocks enhances the pleasure. Be sure not to to let Lindsay sneeze near the window as the tits pass by lest they be disturbed by the turbulence! The best of all worlds would be that she has fully recovered and you can both sit quietly and watch the birds. 2020 is almost upon us. All the very best, Richard. May both you and Lindsay enjoy good health throughout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, David, Long-tailed Tits are heart-warming with both their appearance and their behaviour.

      Lindsay's sneezing has abated - only to be replaced by a hacking cough which, although not so violent and loud, is more persistent in its frequency! I think the birds are getting accustomed to it.

      Less than four hours to go until 202 as I write this, and my thoughts and best wishes are with you both for a splendid New Year in every respect.

      Delete
  7. Richard, a fantastic way to spend Christmas. Sorry that your Granddaughter is suffering, I hope both she and her mother find things easier in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do enjoy our Christmas Day picnics Adrian, even if this one was a little below par, due to Lindsay's cold.

      Thank you for those kind words. We're currently keeping our fingers crossed that our daughter and granddaughter will arrive for a token 'Christmas lunch' tomorrow without any 'bells and whistles' but it will be touch-and-go whether she'll even leave the house.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos Richard. The golden eye is in dutch Brilduiker. I love the long tailed tit (Staartmees). I hope Lindsay will feel better now. I wish you the best for 2020. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your information,Caroline, although I will never remember those Dutch names!

      Lindsay is feeling much better now, thank you, but she has a bad cough.

      My very best wishes for a wonderful 2020 - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Happy new year 2020 Richard, beautiful Long-tailed Tit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful - a Happy New Year to you too, Bob

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard,
    everyone celebrates Christmas in his or her own way. Nice that you do this with a picnic. Last year it was different with the daughter and grandchild but now again with the picnic. I myself had to work for the Christmas days but Christmas will never be the same with us again.

    I enjoyed your photos and especially the series of the Great Blue Heron that you have beautifully portrayed. It is always enjoyment with you when I see your posts and read :-)
    also for you one beautiful, safe and healthy 2020.
    that in this new year we can again enjoy many beautiful nature moments.
    Dear greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helma. I'm sorry to hear that you had to work during the Christmas period, but sometimes it is good to be kept busy - as I'm sure you know!

      Thank you for your very kind words. I'm looking forward to your blog posts in 2020, showing more of your of your wonderful artistic and photographic talents. I hope that your year is filled with the wonders of nature. Take good care and keep well - - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hello Richard, all my best wishes for you and your loved ones for the new year 2020. Health, love and most of all wonderful encounters in nature and birding. I see you had a wonderful Christmas outing in nature the best place to celebrate.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas lunch surrounded by nature is certainly something we hope to do for a few more years to come, Roos!

      Thank you for your kind wishes. I hope, too, that your year is a happy and healthy one, filled with the joys of nature. I'm looking forward to reading all about it on your blog! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard
    also a happy and healthy new year 2020 from me many photo motifs and breathtaking moments ;-))
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank - Im not sure that I'll be able to match your encounter with a Raccoon in the wild in Germany! With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. First, we hope Lindsay is feeling much better now! We also hope your own health going into this new year is improving and that you both will experience no physical issues for 2020!

    Gini and I love your idea of a Christmas picnic and are happy you were able to enjoy the tradition. Nothing like a little flooded road to keep the crowds to a minimum! On days like this, we don't really mind if we don't see much in the way of wildlife and are just happy for the experience.

    A heron, ducks and those Long-tailed Tits - not a bad birding day after all.

    We had our own bout with viruses over Christmas so we empathize with Lindsay. All is good now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that both of you had health issues over Christmas, but pleased that you're OK now.

      Sadly, although now recovered from her cold, Lindsay has been in bed for the past four days with a really bad back. She's in constant severe pain and, although she can just about take herself to the bathroom, she's totally incapable of getting downstairs. The medical services wanted her to go to hospital, but it would have been impossible for me to get her there, so they said to call am ambulance, but we were then told that they were too busy to attend as it wasn't life-threatening. They ended up sending a doctor out at 4 a.m.(!) for a home visit. Looks as if it's nothing serious, but that she's going to be out of action for some time, so yours truly is pretty well confined to quarters keeping the household running for the foreseeable future - blog posts might be a bit thin for a while, although I have got one up my sleeve.

      Take good care. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year to you both as well! Your picnic sounds right up my alley. What a great way to spend the day. I'm sorry Lindsay wasn't feeling well. Hope she is feeling better. We do the same thing. There's a place we usually go on Christmas Day if we're home and take a nice nature walk. Is she feeling better? I just read your last comment. She needs to some and no moisture! Arizona will cure her of her ailments. Take care of her and the home. I am finding that I am love with the idea of staying at home. I never want to leave it. All these years of running around and now.....I just want to lock myself up in my house. It will be a quieter year for me as well. The body and soul need to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. Thank you for your kind words. Lindsay is a little better now, but still a way to go, and still not able to get downstairs. I hope that you are physically and spiritually on the mend yourself now.

      I think that we have probably made our last international journey, preferring to only go places that we can walk or drive to. I'm in my mid-70s and there's still plenty that I've not seen in UK!

      With my best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.