Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 26 January 2020

Firecrest! - on 20th January, 2020

The day after publishing my last blog post, in which I stated that I'd been having difficulty getting out, Lindsay stated that she felt in good enough condition to be left on her own for a while if I wanted to head out for a spot of birding for a few hours. So, having sorted out after lunch, I had a quick look at Birdguides, and saw that Firecrest had been seen for the preceding few days at Whitemoor Haye, which is only about 20 minutes from my home. 

To put things in perspective, Firecrest is far from common in the English Midlands but does get increasingly more common in the southern part of England. I have had only four previous sightings of Firecrest, and only managed any sort of photos on two of those occasions. For those of you not familiar with this bird and its behaviour, it is a tiny bird (sitting in size between Wren and Goldcrest - which is UK's smallest breeding bird) and has a reputation to be constantly flitting about in hedges and is, therefore, not an easy bird to photograph. 

I arrived in the area at around 13h40 and, as I approached in my car, was told that the bird had not been seen all day! However, as I arrived at the actual location, I was informed that it had been seen a few minutes earlier but had disappeared into an inaccessible area behind the hedge.

The road is a narrow single-track road and so I had to go a few hundred metres up the road to find somewhere where I could park my car. I then started walking back towards the group, but had only gone a few metres before a fellow coming the other way said he'd just seen a small bird flitting around in the hedge. I soon spotted it, and it was the Firecrest. Waving arms brought the group to us and I enjoyed a session of just over an hour in the company of this bird.

With it flitting about incessantly, all we photographers were having a difficult time getting shots, particularly as it spent virtually all of its time working the far side of the hedge and, when it did come into view for a second or two, it was unpredictable as to whether it would be against a light or dark background. My photos are, therefore, not good. Here's the first shot I managed to fire off!

Firecrest (Regulus ignicapilla) - Whitemoor Haye
Subsequent shots were equally mediocre, but are included here as I have never done any better with this species.



Firecrest (Regulus ignicapilla) - Whitemoor Haye
This state of affairs continued for quite some time and the bird was starting to roam further away from us, favouring a tree probably around 20 metres behind the hedge. I was standing alone in a spot where I could observe it in the distance, when it flew into the hedge directly in front of me - and started to preen! It stayed in one spot for a full 12 seconds - I have never seen this species stay in one spot for so long -  but the other people looking for it just couldn't get there before it departed again. It wasn't ideally positioned, but here are a few from that interlude:-






Firecrest (Regulus ignicapilla) - Whitemoor Haye
After over an hour of almost continual waving the camera around, my arms were aching and it was time to depart as I felt I was unlikely to get any better shots, with the bird getting more and more elusive.

I did stop a little way down the road at Croxall Lakes and spent some time in one of the hides there, and this might feature in a future post, although nothing outstanding was seen.

I'd had an extremely enjoyable afternoon and felt that I'd maximised my freedom with a Firecrest being a real highlight from a birding point of view, even if the photography wasn't all it might have been.

Thank you for dropping by. I'm not sure when my next blog post will be, or what the subject matter might be either. The weather forecast does not look too good for the next five days, with wind and rain featuring for much of the time.

P.S. Around the Whitemoor Haye area there are several other places named XXX Haye or XXX Hay, and I was curious to know what the meaning of Haye was. It seems that it is derived from an Old English word for hedge and means 'enclosed field'. Such enclosures were often where deer were kept over winter for the supply of venison.


36 comments:

  1. Cracking set of photos Richard of a tricky bird to photograph. It even sat and preened for you. Bet you returned home very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy indeed, Marc! I wish I had more opportunities like that with a restless bird - it might improve my photographic skills - or my arm muscles. ;-}

      Delete
  2. Wow Richard, I think these are great photos. I have only once ever seen a Firecrest and the only shot I got was only barely enough for me to keep as a record. They are such cute little birds.

    Delighted to hear that Lindsay is feeling better. I am also on the mend thank goodness.

    Best wishes to you both and we hope that Lindsay continues to improve. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Diane. Firecrests are a challenge!

      Lindsay continues to improve, but was told by the doctor, today, that her problem is not muscular, but a trapped nerve. He reckons it will take about 8 weeks to get better, and has prescribed physiotherapy which should be starting next week.

      I hope that you continue to improve too - take good care.

      With my best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning views of the Firecrest. Thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob - it was a most enjoyable time. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. I have ignored your comment about the mediocre photographs Richard. I've yet to see a Firecrest anything like these in your shots of this bird, mediocre or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first read your comment, Pete, I thought that you were hinting that the bird didn't look anything like a Firecrest - you had me worried! With all that's going on at home at the moment I'm finding that I'm getting a little muddle-headed! I hope that all is well with you. My very best wisahes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Great series of images, Richard. I really envy you this sighting. This species has been a real nemesis for me and despite my best efforts I have still not seen it. In Slovenia, Miriam actually saw it, but I was about two metres to one side of her and the bird was out of my line of sight, and by the time I moved over it was gone. And Franc was unable to get a picture. Damn! That's the nature of birding I guess. Glad to hear that Lindsay is feeling at least somewhat better and I am sure you were happy to be able to get out for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew of a sure-fire place to point you at for this species, David, but I'm not sure if there would be one - anywhere! Sorry to hear that you had a near-miss in Slovenia - that must have been really frustrating.

      I'm pleased to say that Lindsay is improving to the point that I actually managed to get her out of the house today, even if it was only to visit the doctor. She's now been told it's a trapped nerve rather than a torn muscle!

      Delete
  6. A very nice bird to see, but very hard to photograph - I have only had one chance at it! (and failed on the photography front!)

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite hard to find here, Stewart. However, once one is found they tend to hang around in the same small area for a few days.

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, fantastic photography of this little bird who almost can not sit still. I have seen them on this part of the Canal but was not able to get a decent photo of it. Well done.
    All the best for you and for Linsay hope she will recover soon, as I understood by your writing she is not well.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. Lindsay is recovering well, but it will take time. We're thankful that it's not anything serious - just very painful and inconvenient!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is a very beautiful little bird, Anne, and full of character.

      Delete
  9. A real result. I saw one here a few years ago but never got a picture. They are a bit small for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit small?! - I can remember a time, Adrian, when you used to put up some magnificent shots of insects on your blog. OK, so they weren't quite as mobile, and you used macro, but small is beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I looked out the macro stuff the other day and intend having another go this year. The Firecrest is very small and flits here and there far too quickly for me.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful bird to capture Richard. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing my first Firecrest last year in Wales. It's such a beautiful bird. It looks similar to our Golden-crowned Kinglets here. They do certainly jump all around the place. Your pics are great and I'm glad you got to get outside for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were very lucky to see the Firecrest in Wales, Chris, as they are not usually a bird that can be found to order. They are, of couse, of the same family (Regulus) as your Golden-crowned Kinglet, but I think that the Firecrest has more colour on the body and perhaps less well-defined stripes on the head. Thank you for your visit and your kind words - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful little bird that is !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent series of spectacular photographs, Richard! How nice the Firecrest posed a bit for you.
    Very happy to hear Lindsay was feeling a bit better and we hope she improves rapidly.

    Gini and I wish you both all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, again, for your kind words, Wally. I'm pleased to say that Lindsay is coming along nicely now. She's even started to manage the odd bit of simple cooking. Also, I took her out (for the first time since before Christmas) for a crafting afternoon yesterday, leaving me free to spend some time on a nature reserve. Life's starting to get good again!

      Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Hello Richard
    you say these are not good shots ... under these (wave-like) conditions I think they were very well done, especially because the summer golden chicken stood for you for 12 seconds.
    a very beautiful bird
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Frank. I must remember that, to you, this bird is a 'summer golden chicken' - I like it! I see that to Helma (see below) it is a 'fire gold rooster' - a similar sort of name.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  15. Hello Richard,
    beautiful to see the fire gold rooster. It has been some time since I saw and was able to photograph this beautiful bird. The dire series you show here is really great. My sincere compliments for this fantastic series.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma. Thank you for your comments - I find myself hoping that something got lost in the translation when you say "The dire series" - it basically says that the series is terrible! ;-}

      My very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Ohw my !!!! That terrible translation also hahahahaha ...
      No, it is not a terrible series but a very beautiful series. It had to be: This series!

      Delete
  16. Absolutely beautiful shots. I'm new to birding, but always looking for new blogs and information on our feathered friends. I've never heard of the Firecrest. I'll have to do some research. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda. I guess that you're from the USA - in which case you don't get Firecrest there, but you do get the closely-related Golden-crowned Kinglet. These littel birds are full of character! Thank you for your visit - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.