Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 2 June 2020

The Lockdown Garden - Week 22, 25th-31st May, 2020

I'm going to try and keep this blog post a little shorter than my last one - I wonder if I'll be able to! Herewith, an account of my lockdown week.

Monday, 25th May

Examination of the trail cams showed visits by at least one Hedgehog that night, but there was no sign of a a visit by the Fox.

A quick check of the Garlic Mustard revealed that there were now five caterpillars, although two were so small that I might have missed them the previous day! 

We observed 13 species of bird visiting our garden, but nothing out of the ordinary was seen. 

The only photos that were taken were of a tiny beetle on a plant that seems to have arrived in our garden, and will remain there as it is loved by insects. I have no idea what the plant is!


beetle (Oedemera lurida) - garden on 25/05/2020
Tuesday, 26th May

The trail cams revealed visits by a Hedgehog, and the Fox.

We recorded visits from  15 species of bird. One of these was the Rook/Carrion Crow that I now have increasing doubt about the identity of. This bird is exhibiting a Rook-like peak to its crown, and a slim bill. However, the bill now seems to be staying relatively dark (no pale base) and showing a shallow curve to the culmen, suggesting to me that it is possibly more likely to be a Carrion Crow with an exceptionally slim bill than a juvenile Rook. Calls heard seem sometimes to be Rook, sometimes Crow! It might sound a bit bizarre, but do these two species ever hybridise? Any views would be very welcome. I've not yet managed a profile shot of this bird in our garden, but here's one taken with it on the roof behind the garden. My friend and mentor, Marc Heath, has now identified this as a Carrion Crow, and I'm happy to go along with that.

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - from house on 26/05/2020
I couldn't help but try to get some shots of the Bullfinches that visited again this day. Sadly, I only achieved record shots.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden on 26/05/2020
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (female) - garden on 26/05/2020
The number of Orange-tip buterfly larvae found on the Garlic Mustard was slowly increasing with the discivery of this tiny individual - probably only about 6mm long.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (larva - early instar) - garden on 26/05/2020
The most excitement was created by two 'firsts' for the year. While we we were having lunch in the conservatory a Small Heath butterfly landed briefly on the grass, soon followed by a teneral female Blue-tailed Damselfly which bumped into the conservatory glass beside me. The butterfly disappeared before I could rise from my seat, and I couldn't relocate the damselfly, in spite of an extensive search and a now-cold lunch. 

The only other item photographed that day was a 14 Spot Ladybird - this one seemed to be exceedingly small, and I only had a few seconds with it before it flew and was lost to sight, resulting in another record shot.

14 Spot Ladybird (Anthocharis cardamines) - garden on 26/05/2020
Wednesday, 27th May

The trail cams witnessed the Fox once more, but no Hedgehog. 

Just 12 species of bird were recorded, with nothing of particular interest seen, although we did have three Bullfinches (2 x male, 1 x female). Just to maintain an avian content, here are a couple of some of the more common of our visitors.

Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) - garden on 27/05/2020
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 27/05/2020
I noted that the number of Orange-tip larvae on the Garlic mustard had increased to six but, by the end of the day, the two largest had disappeared. I did not know whether they had been predated or had wandered off to pupate. Here's the largest one.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (larva) - garden on 27/05/20
From the antennae, I believe this next item to be a hoverfly rather than a bee, but cannot fathom it out. I'm hoping that Conehead54, or some othe knowledgeable person, will see this blog post the lavae of which feed on the bulbs of daffodils, narcissae, and bluebells and advise! - Now identified as a Narcissus Bulb Fly, with thanks to Conehead54!, the lavae of which feed on the bulbs of daffodils, narcissae, and bluebells

Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris) - garden on 27/05/2020
I spent a couple of  hours or so in the morning at a local dragonfly spot, but more about that in another blog post.

There was more excitement when a Large Red Damselfly bumped into the conservatory window beside me as  I was having lunch - another cold lunch, and the damselfly not located.

That night, the moth trap went out. It resulted in 22 moths of 17 species which is one of the better results for my simple trap in my small suburban garden. Here are some of those caught, none of which are at all rare.

Ingrailed Clay (Diarsia mendica) - from garden on 27/05/2020
Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) - from garden on 27/05/2020
Double Square-spot (Xestia triangulum) - from garden on 27/05/2020
White Ermine (Spilosoma lubricipeda) - from garden on 27/05/2020

I'm including two images for the last one featured as my good friend, David, has said he prefers to see them on a more natural-looking background. I can fully sympathise with this view, but sometimes the plain background is less distracting to the eye, and reveals the true beauty of the subject itself - as, I believe, in this case. It might be a common moth, but it is truly fabulous to behold!


Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) - from garden on 27/05/2020
Thursday, 28th May

A Hedgehog was seen on the trail cams overnight, as well as a mouse drinking from the  Hedgehogs' bowl.

We had 15 species of bird visit again, including the Rook/Crow, but nothing out of the ordinary visited.

No photos were taken that day, so it was a relatively uninspiring day.

Friday 29th May

One of the trail cams caught a short altercation between two Hedgehogs, and another caught a Grey Squirrel drinking in the bird bath.
 
We had just 11 species of bird seen to visit our garden. Here are a couple of them, including a somewhat better shot of a Bullfinch, although there's a lot of room for improvement!

Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (male) - garden on 29/05/2020

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden on 29/05/2020
The only other photos I took that day were of a Red-tailed Bumblebee - this time on a flower of our Welsh Onions. It was sporting very full pollen sacks.


Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius) - garden on 29/05/2020
Saturday, 30th May

The trail cams showed just one Hedgehog, and the Fox.

I recorded 14 species of bird visiting the garden, including our only Stock Dove of the week.

Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) (female) - garden on 30/05/2020
Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) - garden on 30/05/2020
The Crow didn't visit our garden that day, but I did take some shots of it in our neighbours' tree.

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - from garden on 30/05/2020
Lepidoptera-wise, we had yet another visit from a Cinnabar moth. I don't recall ever seeing them in our garden before this year, but they seem to be showing up regularly now. I was surprised to see a rather tatty Holly Blue in the garden at this time of year. I suspect that it was a female.

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (probably female) - garden on 30/05/2020
Sunday, 31st May

The trail cams on the last day of the week revealed visits by a Hedgehog and the Red Fox.

In spite of me spending the morning away from home, dragon hunting, we noted 14 species of bird visiting with an unusually large number of Goldfinch (7) for the garden at this time of year. The noise from the 'at least 9' Starlings was getting a bit intrusive. 


Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) (juvenile and adult) - garden on 31/05/2020
 Thus ended the week. We'd noted just 17 species of bird in the garden, 2 species of butterfly, and an exceptional 2 species of damselfly. Sadly, by the end of the week, all the Orange-tip butterfly larvae had disappeared. At first it was the largest of them that went, and I thought that they might have wandered off to pupate. However, the last three were quite small when they vanished, so I expect that it was the Blue Tits and Great Tits that found them.

With two visits out dragon hunting this week, I have decided to do a separate blog post on those visits in a few days time. I have now got around two thousand shots of dragonflies and damselflies to process, taken on four trips out in the past six days - it's great to be getting out again!

Take great care, and stay safe!
 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! You have a lot to see in the garden;-) Hope you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, we're doing just fine here! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Male Bullfinch, wowsers what a bird and the shot is pretty fine too. I would say your corvid is a Carrion Crow. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From yours, and other comments, I'm getting the impression that Bullfinch isn't as common in gardens as I thought it was, Marc. Thank you for the ID on the corvid - post updated accordingly.

      Take good care, and keep those dragon posts coming! - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard, I see you have been keeping yourself busy and getting some fine shots too. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I like to keep myself occupied, and the garden fills any gaps that might otherwise be taken up by boredom!

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard- some exquisite moth photos again. Always enjoy Bullfinches too- I do see them occasionally in my locality but they do seem scarcer. Your query insect is a hoverfly-m the Narcissus Fly, Merodon equestris- the larvae feeding in bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Conehead54 (I'd love to have a less anonymous name for you as it feels so impersonal to call you Conehead54 - maybe you're a famous cricketer?) for your very kind words and for the ID on the Narcissus Fly - much appreciated. I've duly edited the blog post.

      Take care and stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, Some great birds that come and vissit your garden. The Bullfinch, Goldfinch and the Starlings are spectacular. The Moths are most wonderful as well and as you placed one in your header that is most apealing the Elephant Hawk-Moth is stunning and a great photo as well. Good to see the Hedgehogs ars sitll vissiting your garden as the Fox. I believe you already received an answer on your question of the Bee/Hoverfly by Conehead.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. At the beginning of the week I thought we had lost the Hedgehogs as we didn't see any for a couple of nights, but there were two, having a bit of an argument, last night!

      Stay safe and well. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Great job, Richard, and thanks again for the moth on a natural background! It is stunning as you point out, Your recent series of posts illustrate one thing very well, and that is that for many, enforced confinement by Covid-19 has really compelled us to explore our own backyards in greater detail. It is so easy to forget that an intact miniature ecosystem exists out there. Based on blogs that I have seen I think that the job you have done in recording and presenting the life of your garden, is clearly number one. I have really enjoyed these posts. All the best, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, David. I have been getting a little concerned that maybe the format will get a bit repetitious and boring, so could do with some exciting events in the garden to report on. So far this week the most exciting happening is that it has just started raining properly for the first time in weeks - oh, hang on a minute, it looks as if it's stopped again. Damn!

      Delete
  7. Once again we have been mesmerized by the latest installment of: "Richard's Garden of Natural Delights In The Time of Plague".

    What an incredible job you have been doing to document the natural world just outside your door! Gini and I really appreciate all that you continue to share.

    I know several birders who would be quite content to have observed "just 17 species of bird" in their gardens! Your diversity of insects once again highlights how easy it is for us all to overlook the smaller members of our planet.

    Very much anticipating dragons appearing in your next documentary installment.

    Please continue to ensure you and Lindsay remain safe. All our best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind encouragement is very much appreciated, Wally. I'm just so glad that I have a garden to enjoy in these difficult times. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that things will have settled down a lot (if not completely, but that's highly unlikely) before the winter sets in as I think it will be somewhat more difficult to cope with a winter lockdown in the British climate. At least the birds should be more plentiful, and somewhat different, in winter.

      By the time you read this, there's every chance that my next dragon blog post will be live.

      I assure you that we are both being somewhat more careful than the average Brit! I'm trusting that you are too! My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Stunning work on the garden in lockdown too. The Bullfinch are beautiful, I have heard them, but I didn't see them this year, pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to be telling me that they're not seeing Bullfinches, Bob. This is very worrying as I was not aware that they were getting so scarce. Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard, beautiful photos. Here the carrion crows have young ones. I saw them yesterday when I walked with the dogs. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow I love your header photo, that Elephant Hawk Moth is just beautiful. All excellent photos as usual and it is good to see the different moths. Wish I could see a Bullfinch here!

    I think lock-down has done us all a lot of good and we are appreciating our own gardens far more than normal.

    Take care and stay safe. Best wishes and I hope you have a good weekend despite the fact that everyday seems like a weekend at present!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard,
    I really didn't think your last post was too long because the photos it contained were of great quality and of great beauty. These foot's in this blog also show a great respect for nature 😀
    Wonderful to see these insects and other creatures in your blog. awesome!
    Sorry for the late comments on this and your previous blog but I was very busy working and looking after my mom.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Richard,
    You also mastered this week perfectly, I have never seen bullfinches before or maybe I did and there was a robin in my eyes ... ;-)) The new easing in the Corvid19 dilemma is already a start that will eventually put everything back on the safe track is going, now I'm waiting for the next post from you
    for both of you health
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.