Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 23 June 2020

The Lockdown Garden - Week 25, 15th to 21st June, 2020

It feels good to be able to start this blog post on a cheery note - this has been a somewhat remarkable week in the garden from an avian perspective, as will be revealed below.

Monday, 15th June

I started the day by photographing a female Bullfinch from my study window. I find myself amused by the raptor-like approach in the first image.


Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (female) - garden on 15/06/2020
The day then got very exciting with the arrival of a Jay. Whilst not a rare bird, it's a rare visitor to our garden and this was the first since July, 2018!

Jay (Garrulus glandarius) - garden on 15/06/2020
The excitement continued shortly afterwards with the arrival of two Nuthatch. I believe that this is the first time that we've ever had two in the garden. Here's one of them.

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 15/06/2020
I did spend a little time in the garden that day, photographing insects.

hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri) - garden on 15/06/2020
Here's a bee that I have not identified - note to self:- bee fieldguide is next book on wanted list.


bee sp. - garden on 15/06/2020
As I wandered round the garden with my camera, I was struck by the sight of the centre of a poppy flower!

Poppy flower - garden on 15/06/2020

There had been no sign of Hedgehog or Fox on the cameras from that night.

In the afternoon I decided, prompted by a message from a friend, to go on a short orchid hunt at a local site - more on that in my next blog post.

Tuesday, 16th June

The Jay was with us again this day, but this turned out to be the last time we would see it in the week.



Jay (Garrulus glandarius) - garden on 16/06/2020
The Nuthatches were also back, but I just missed getting a shot of the two together.

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 16/06/2020
I'd noticed that the House Sparrows had taken to stripping the bark off one of the branches that I have stuck in the ground to aid the birds in their approach to the feeders. I suspect that it's for late nest-building or refubishment.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (male) - garden on 16/06/2020
We don't see many Long-tailed Tits at this time of year, so it was heartening to have one in the garden this day, although no photos were obtained.

We recorded Hedgehog and Red Fox visiting that night. Grey Squirrel is with us most days, and we rather like them - they do have a certain 'cute' factor, although not so much as Red Squirrels do!

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 16/06/2020
Wednesday, 17th June

Minor excitement was caused by a Carrion Crow alighting in the garden. We frequently see them on neighbouring roofs, but they rarely visit. The only bird I photographed that day, however, was a Goldfinch, from my study window.


Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 17/06/2020
That afternoon, I went out on another brief orchid hunt before the rain set in.

Thursday, 18th June 

We saw both Fox and Hedgehog on the cameras from that night. As the Fox was in daylight (just!) I'll post some video of it. It still looks painfully thin and is eating the spilt sunflower hearts. I'd put some food out for it if I didn't think that the four or five cats that regularly visit our garden wouldn't be encouraged to visit more frequently and snaffle it first!
That day we had another unusual visitor to our garden, although again not a rare bird in itself, in the form of a Jackdaw. I didn't manage a photo as it was only briefly in the top of our Rowan. I was probably more pleased by the sighting of a Coal Tit. This was once a relatively common species in the garden, but has become worryingly infrequent in the last couple of years.  Please forgive me, therefore, if I post a somewhat dire record shot.

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - garden on 18/06/2020
Friday, 19th June

Robin had, disappointingly, been absent from the garden for far too long, and so we were delighted when a juvenile visited this day.

From my study window, I had taken some photos of a Collared Dove, one of which is shown below.

Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) - garden on 19/06/2020
As soon as this Collared Dove departed, it was replaced by a male Bullfinch on the feeder, and I was just enjoying the fact that, unusually, we had two male and one female Bullfinch present at the same time, when the Bullfinch outside my window flew and hit the window with a loud thump. Stunned, it dropped into the Cotoneaster outside my window, and I noticed the cause of the disturbance - a male Sparrowhawk was on one of the upturned garden chairs just a few metres away. It looked as if it was just about to dive into the Cotoneaster and take the Bullfinch, but I managed to thump on the window, waving an arm, and frighten it off. I quickly went out to check on the Bullfinch and it was conscious and sitting on a branch and squeeking, probably in fright. I backed off, but stayed there at a distance in case the Sparrowhawk came back to investigate. Eventually, the Bullfinch departed, but I knew I'd done the right thing as far as the Bullfinch was concerned when the Sparrowhawk returned to the same place later and started peering into the Cotoneaster. This time I took some photos - a pity that it was perched on something as un-photogenic as an upturned garden chair!

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - garden on 19/06/2020
That night, the moth trap went out. It resulted in 41 moths of 20 species, but it was a visually relatively uninteresting and difficult to identify collection. I'll just leave you with one image of a species that has featured on this blog already on more than one occasion recently.

Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) - from garden on 219/06/2020
Saturday, 20th June

We'd had two Nuthatch all week until this day, when we were down to sighting just one. The Sparrowhawk was back too, which might be why the number of birds visiting was down. We have found, in the past, that when a Sparrowhawk starts visiting regularly the other birds, sensibly, tend to stay away. This, however, has no visible impact on the insects! We had Small Tortoiseshell and Small White butterflies this day (butterflies had been 'a bit thin on the ground' lately, probably due to inclement weather). Here's a photo of a hoverfly from that day.

hoverfly (Eupeodes luniger)  - garden on 20/06/2020
Sunday 21st June

This day was Fathers' Day, and Lindsay had kindly bought me the Ball and Morris field guide to Bratain's Hoverflies, published by Princeton Press. Hopefully, from now on, my ID skills on this taxa will improve.

Much of the morning was taken up with a visit to our daughter, with a conversation while sitting socially distant in chairs on her drive. On the way back, I stopped briefly at a location to look for dragons and damsels - but more on that in my next post.

Being largely preoccupied with othe matters, little was noted that day. Nuthatch was not seen, however.


In summary (weekly maxima in brackets):-

We observed 3 species of mammal visit : Hedgehog (1) ; Red Fox (1) ; Grey Squirrel (1)
 
We observed 2 species of butterfly visit : Small Tortoiseshell (2) ; Small White (1)

Exceptionally good for our garden at this time of year, we observed 22 species of bird visit :   Blackbird (3) ; Bullfinch (3) ; Chaffinch (4) ; Crow, Carrion (1) ; Dove, Collared (7) ; Dunnock (3) ; Goldfinch (10) ; Greenfinch (2) ; Jackdaw (1) ; Jay (1) ; Magpie (2) ; Nuthatch (2) ; Robin (1) ; Sparrow, House (8) ; Sparrowhawk (1) Starling (16) ; Tit, Blue (5) ; Tit, Coal (1) ; Tit, Great (2) ; Tit, Long-tailed (1) ; Woodpigeon (3) ; Wren (1). 


My next blog post will probably be on Thursday and feature the two excursions for orchids and a brief look for dragons and damsels. Until then, take care and stay safe.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm definitely pleased with my garden visitors, Anne. They help keep me sane - although some might disagree!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful film you have taken of Fox, bushy tail to boot. The Elephant Hawk-moth is lovely, and Sparrowhawk, Jay, and the female Bullfinch, I love your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so sorry, in these difficult times, for those people that do not have a garden, Bob. I think I'd have gone mad by now if I didn't have one!

      Delete
  3. Lovely collection Richard. 2 species I would love to photograph, Bullfinch and Jay. Very envious that you have these in your garden. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of upsetting the apple-cart, Marc, I'm pleased to say that Bullfinch is currently a daily visitor, although rarely in a photographically acceptable position. Visits from Jay, however, are extremely rare. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. It must have been very exciting to have the visit from the Sparrowhawk even though your sympathies lay with the Bullfinch, Richard. It is always a great thrill for me to witness predator/prey interaction, and there are always mixed feelings about the outcome, You have a whole series of fabulous pictures in this post, and I can see that macro photography continues to interest you. Th Jay as a garden bird seems pretty special to me too. It is a handsome bird by any standards. Great post - superb pictures and an engaging narrative. Nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David, for your kind words. Sorry for the late and ininspired reply. It's chaos here at the moment as I will explain in a blog post which I'll publish later today - all things being equal!

      Delete
  5. Lovely Richard, you get more in your garden than I get in the woods at the back of my house. Stay safe, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised by your comment, Mike, as it seems to me that you have wonderful wildlife visiting your garden. Take good care, and stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Now this is becoming a habit which may result in a less than desirable outcome.

    Sitting in my comfy desk chair, sipping hot coffee, enjoying an English garden complete with gorgeous flowers, buzzing insects, unique birds, drama of predator and prey, superb photography, inspiring commentary - why in the world would I choose to go out in the heat, drive for miles, hike around in the hot humid woods and come away with a handful of frustratingly out-of-focus images of some common creature? I may never leave the house again.

    Richard Pegler, you have spoiled us!

    Fantastic post! From the Bullfinch who thinks he's a hawk, to an actual hawk to a hawk which is a moth. Simply superb!

    We continue to try and get out early when it's cooler and return before the afternoon thunderstorms begin. Gini and I wish you and Lindsay good health and hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Wally - you always manage to bring a smile to my face, for which I'm most grateful. Sorry for a brief and late reply - it's chaos here at the moment as I will explain in my next blog post, probably later today.

      Take great care and stay safe. Just because our leaders say we can now do certain things, doesn't mean we should do those things.

      Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    Here in Germany a lot of loosening has been done again so that we can go further out, but there were also many new infections, how should you behave? crazy world
    Your garden documentaries are always an asset to me
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to know you enjoy my blog, Frank.

      The world certainly seems crazy right now, with many of our governments' policies being driven by economic considerations, rather than health concerns. However, it can be argued that if the economy collapses, many more lives will be put at risk. I do not envy those in government for some of the decisions that they have to make. I just wish that more people in UK were more sensible than they are, and not get together in their thousands on the beaches, for example.

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, What a great gift from your wife for Fathersday. Hope you will find everything in it you are looking for. Also great you went to vissit your daughter :) Than all those vissits in your garden from birds and mamals is a great joy. Love the Fox in the video, and I hope it will gain some more weight from the extra's you put out. The birds are amazing again. Such a nice close-up from the Goldfinch. The Sparrowhawk is super. Like the Bullfinch a lot. The insects on the flowers is so beautyful. And I would also have choosen that photo in the header. Love it!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very kind words indeed, Roos, and much-appreciated too! At the moment, I can barely hear myself think because of all the noise from the work going on outside - it is chaos here, and also very worrying too.

      Take great care, and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard, I think you had a beautiful fathersday. All those different birds which you have in your yard, and also a squirrel and a fox. It's amazing. Your photos are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline, for those very kind words. I do enjoy the wildlife that I get in my rather scruffy garden!

      Delete
  10. MY APOLOGIES FOR MY LATE RESPONSE TO YOUR KIND COMMENTS and my tardiness in visiting your blogs - it has been absolute chaos here over the past few days, and it is set to continue for a while, as I will explain in my next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard,
    it's also great to see a bullfinch in your own garden :-)))
    But xelfs you get a fox in your garden and a sparrowhawk too !!! that is very cool though. Because in addition to the tits, and other volges and beautiful butterflies, you have a variety of flora and fauna. the squirrel was also present. Really nice to have it so close to you :-)
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma, for those kind words. Our garden is a great source of delight to us, even if it is rather untidy!

      Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.