Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 16 June 2020

The Lockdown Garden - Week24, 8th to 14th June, 2020

The week was a relatively quiet one from the point of view of garden observations and photography, partly due to me being busy building a new mini-pond in the garden. I am, therefore, going to take the opportunity to slightly alter the format of my weekly garden lockdown report in the hope of eliminating some of the repetetive nature that seemed to be developing. I shall mention the highlights on days where there were any, and give a summary at the end of the post.

Monday, 8th June

The excitement on this day was the appearance of  a Great Spotted Woodpecker - not a rare bird, but a relatively rare visitor to our garden. The last time a GS Woody visited was on 6th March this year, and that was a female. Without searching through my records, I think it was last year when we last had a male visit, and if it wasn't last year, it was the year before! I have said before that I don't like to post photos of birds on feeders, but sometimes exceptions have to be made, and this is one of those times.

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - garden on 08/06/2020
Tuesday, 9th June

The avian highlight of the day was a brief visit by a Carrion Crow (Corvus corone), but no photos were obtained.

I was out dragon hunting in the afternoon when I got a message to say that the pond kit that Lindsay had so kindly said I could have for my birthday was going to be delivered that afternoon. This had me scurrying back home again.

Thursday, 11th June

A moth followed me into the house during the evening, and this turned out to be a Small Dusty Wave. This only the second time I've seen this pretty little moth, and the first time was a much more drab dark form.

Small Dusty Wave (Idaea aversata) - from garden on 11/06/2020
Friday, 12th June

I took a break from pond-building as the sun was shining brightly and I could see the potential for a few photo opportunities. This turned out to be a good move!

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae) - garden on 13/06/2020
One of the joys of dabbling with macro photography is being able to see details that one never would with the naked eye - not only in the main subject of the photograph, but elsewhere too. I have started appreciating the beauty in some of the flowers and foliage that the subjects are resting on (yes, with the exception of the green bit of card that I sit my moths on, David!).

Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus) - garden on 13/06/2020
bee species - garden on 13/06/2020
'Greenbottle' (Lucilia sp.) - garden on 13/06/2020



hoverfly (Eupeodes luniger) - garden on 13/06/2020
The absolute bonus this day, however, was the appearance of a young Nuthatch. Although not a rare bird, this was our first Nuthatch of 2020. As I write this, we have now been having a pair of young Nuthatch visiting on a frequent basis, and I'm hoping that I might have a few better photos in the can, but in the meantime these are a couple of not-so-good shots from that day.


Nuthatch (Sitta Europaea) - garden on 13/06/2020
The moth trap went out that night, as we'd had much rain, and a dry but humid night was expected. I managed to get 50 moths of 20 different species. This is quite a small catch compared to what many people with more professional equipment in more countrified regions get, but was possibly my highest catch to date. Nothing particularly noteworthy was caught, but here are a few that show a bit of variety.

Bee Moth (Aphomia sociella) - from garden on 13/06/2020
This next one is one of several species of the Marbled Minor type that can only be positively identified by disection and so, in the absence of such drastic action (which I am never likely to undertake!), can only be described as 'Marbled Minor agg.'

Marbled Minor agg. (Oligia sp. agg.) - from garden on 13/06/2020
Riband Wave (Idaea aversata) - from garden on 13/06/2020
Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) - from garden on13/06/2020
Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) - from garden on 13/06/2020
Sunday, 14th June

The trail cams revealed our regular Fox visiting in daylight.


In summary (weekly maxima in brackets):-

We observed 3 species of mammal visit : Hedgehog (2) ; Red Fox (1) ; Grey Squirrel (1)

We observed 1 species of butterfly visit : Small Tortoiseshell (3)

We observed 16 species of bird visit :   Blackbird (3) ; Bullfinch (3) ; Chaffinch (2) ; Crow, Carrion (1) ; Dove, Collared (3) ; Dunnock (1) ; Goldfinch (7) ; Greenfinch (4) ; Magpie (1) ; Nuthatch (1) ; Sparrow, House (7) ; Starling (5) ; Tit, Blue (6) ; Tit, Great (4) ; Woodpecker, Great Spotted (1) ; Woodpigeon (8). 


I'm expecting to publish a short blog post on my brief dragonfly hunt from the Tuesday this coming Thursday. Until then, take great care, stay safe, and please do your best to observe and help the planet's nature.

20 comments:

  1. An outstanding report, Richard!

    Love that woodpecker. Your macro photography has motivated me to increase my efforts at close-up imaging with the hope one day I can find a bag of money on the street with which to buy a proper macro lens.

    The Small Tortoiseshell is stunning! No wonder you placed it on your banner!

    Pond building!?! I envy your ambition and stamina.

    Late spring has brought wet and humid weather. Bird nests and fledglings abound and bugs galore need their portraits taken! We hope to oblige them.

    We hope you and Lindsay are safe and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these garden shots were taken with the Sigma 150 macro lens, Wally, although in the field I get good macro results with the Sigma 50-500 where I can focus on something about 3 inches from the lens hood if I wind the length back to around 180. The Sigma 150 is a very reasonably priced lens. Tamron seem to be getting great reviews these days too.

      I cheated with the pond. LIndsay has a phobia of frogs, so I got one that is basically of a wooden construction with a liner. It was just a case of building a kit that now sits on the patio. It's an EXTREMELY small pond - only about 3 foot square and 16 inches deep/high!

      Our wet season is continuing, with thunder storms for the past few days, but I did manage a couple of quick photographic trips out - mainly for orchids, which might surprise you!?

      We're doing just fine here still, and hope that you and Gini are too.

      Delete
  2. Some lovely quality photos Richard there. Like a mini nature reserve. Amazing what life we get in our gardens. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is surprising. Covid has certainly shrunk my outings, but broadened my interest horizons. Stay safe - - Richard

      Delete
  3. As Marc says Richard it is amazing what goes on in our gardens. Excellent pictures. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I'm starting to learn more about the wildlife in the garden, and it's even prompting me to get more fieldguides on different taxa. I don't know it yet, but I'm getting a fieldguide on hoverflies for Fathers Day on Sunday! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. The pond should bring some interesting creatures into your garden. I have suggested this a couple of times but I am told it will be too much trouble!! I even had a little pond at my small dwelling and tiny garden in Rhodesia! I just love that Marmalade hoverfly it is stunning. We often used to have a woodpecker come down to our feeder but I have not seen one now for a couple of years :-( Great set of photos as always though.

    Re ordering things from the UK - it is not so simple, many will not deliver here and ones that used to to since Lock-down are now not doing it. Not really a problem, we have a fantastic choice of cheeses here so we cannot complain :-)

    Take care and stay safe, best wishes to you both. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pond is small and should be trouble-free with the plants I have on order. I'll possibly feature it in a blog post soon. It's one that sits on the patio, so no heavy digging to install it.

      This is the first Marmalade Hoverfly that I'm conscious of seeing but it is, apparently, the most common hoverfly in UK!

      I checked one company's web site and they do deliver to France. But, as you say, you're spoilt for choice with your French cheeses. If I had to choose between English and French cheese from now on, it would be a difficult choice to make, but I'd probably go for French.

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have Great Spotted Woodpecker visit your yard, Richard. Downy Woodpecker makes a regular appearance here, but that doesn't make every occasion less delightful. Now once in a while, when a Red-bellied Woodpecker comes by, that's real excitement! The colour on that greenbottle fly is spectacular. It is perhaps the star of the show this time - despite the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only when you see the Greenbottle up close like that you appreciate the fabulous nature of its colour. I'm really getting a bit hooked on this macro-photography stuff, David, seeing all sorts of things that I'd have missed otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard, you have a beautiful lockdown garden. Great pictures. The great spotted woodpecker and the nuthatch are my favorites. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline, for your kind words. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Well Richard, what a shot, the Elephant Hawk-moth, beautiful, and you shot a Fox in daytime. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Elephant Hawk-moths are truly beautiful, Bob, and an absolute delight. The Fox has taken to visiting at first light now - I had him on camera in daylight this morning!

      Take great care - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Some excelent photos of the birds and insects, that come to visist your garden Richard. That Elephant moth is so beautyful! Never saw one. Great to have Woodpackers in your garden as well. Love the photo of the Small Tortoiseshell in your header.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen Elephant Hawk-moths that have been caught in moth traps, Roos, but I have seen their caterpillars in the wild a few times. The caterpillars are just as spectacular as the moths!

      That's the only sighting of Great Spotted Woodpecker in the garden this year. We usually see them a little more often, so it has been a bit disappointing.

      Take great care, and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    Elephant Hawk-moth wow what a great color and the look is great, the bird sightings will soon be less because Corvid19 rules are relaxed ... ;-))
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elephant Hawk-moth is a very special moth, Frank. There is no doubt that Covid-19 is a terrible virus, but there are some really good things that have happened because of it, as well as all the bad things, and I just hope that we can keep all the good things and forget the bad ones.

      Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.