Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 26 September 2020

Still Summer - Just! - 7th to 13th September, 2020

It has been rather a long time since my previous blog post as I have been busy. However, I've now completed the garden path, and so I feel the need to keep things flowing by putting something on the blog. This blog post will be a relatively short one, but I have a feeling that the next blog post might be somewhat longer!

Monday, 7th September

The week got of to a slow start as far as sightings were concerned, and the only photos taken were of a juvenile Woodpigeon. I do not usually bother to photograph Woodpigeons, but I do not remember ever photographing a juvenile one before.

Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) (juvenile) - garden on 8th September, 2020
That evening the bat was seen once more at sunset, and was seen every subsequent evening that week except on the Sunday.

Tuesday, 8th September

In the morning, I photographed a hoverfly on a michaelmas daisy. I believe it to be Eristalis tenax, but please correct me if I'm wrong!


hoverfly (Eristalis tenax)  - garden on 8th September, 2020
In the afternoon I went out in search of wildlife. I decided on a visit to Croxall Lakes in Staffordshire as on a previous visit (last year) I had noticed a boardwalk access to a pond that I did not know existed there, and it looked as if it would be good for dragonflies. Croxall Lakes can also be good for birds.

I arrived to find the 'pond' had dried up to the extent that you'd have been hard-pressed to fill a domestic wash-basin with the water left in it. Not a single dragonfly or damselfly was seen there.

I carried on regardless, in the hope of finding birds, and maybe some damselflies by the River Trent at the far end of the site. Cutting a long story short, I didn't find any odonata, and virtually no birds were seen. 

I then returned and cut off eastward under the railway and across the meadow to the hide by the smaller of the two lakes. Soon after arriving at the hide, a Kingfisher suddenly appeared in the distance, hovered for a couple of seconds above the water, dived, and then came out and shot behind trees to my right. During this brief time, I didn't even manage to get it in my viewfinder. I waited an hour in the hope that it would return, but to no avail - I even started photographing trains to pass the time!

DB Cl.66, No. 66 124 (EMD) - Croxall Lakes
The only birds that I was able to to photograph were some Canada Geese.


Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Croxall Lakes
It was time to move on! As I left the hide, my attention was drawn to something in the grass not far from the hide. It turned out to be the largest field fungus that I have ever seen . Nearby, there were many more. This first one must have been around 10 inches (25 cm) across. If my ID is correct, these were Parasol Mushroom, and are said to be "uncommon" but "edible - excellent". I suspect that I could have collected 4 or 5 buckets full in 5 minutes! However, I would not trust my ID skills, and Lindsay would never contemplate cooking any fungus that had not been identified by an expert. The first image, below, is of the first (largest) one, and the subsequent two images show less developed specimens.



Parasol Mushroom (Macrolepiota procera) - Croxall Lakes
My next destination turned out to be even less successful. I headed off to to visit another place that I'd not been to since lockdown - Drakelow NR - and arrived to find a notice on the gate that stated that it was closed for the duration, due to lack of maintenance because of Covid!

Things were getting somewhat frustrating so it was time to go somewhere where I knew I had a chance of seeing something worthwhile. It would only be a very small diversion from my route home to call in at Saltersford Valley so that is what I did!

Having parked, it was but a short walk to the boardwalk at the eastern side of the first lake. I arrived to find a male Southern Hawker dragonfly holding territory at the near end of the boardwalk. I must have spent getting on for half an hour trying to get flight shots of this dragonfly, but got nothing but an identifiable blurry shot before it departed. I then took a wander along the boardwalk and managed to find what was probably my last Ruddy Darter of the year.


Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Saltersford Valley
I next set off to the west side of the lake where I found a male Migrant Hawker which kept settling in the reeds in front of me, but always with intervening reeds. I did, however, note an adult Coot on a log in the lake and another adult with two young further out.


Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley
When the Migrant Hawker disappeared, I took the circular walk which briefly passes a point on the large lake where I saw Red-eyed Damselfly earlier in the year. This time the walk was fruitless, apart from the opportunity to take some shots of a Speckled Wood butterfly.
 
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Saltersford Valley
As I passed by the section where I'd seen the Coots, I noticed that one of the juveniles was quite close to me.

Coot (Fulica atra) (juvenile) - Saltersford Valley
I was about to head back to my car when I changed my mind and decided to re-visit the boardwalk. I arrived to find the Southern Hawker had returned to the same spot, and tried once more for some photos, but didn't even manage a blurred one before it departed. I did, however, manage some shots of a rather obliging Migrant Hawker. Here are a few of the many shots I took - I even managed a few flight shots, although far from good.







Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Saltersford Valley
It now really was time to go home as I was cooking tea that evening.

Wednesday, 9th September

Nothing remarkable in the garden this day, but I did get some shots of a Comma butterfly that was in a rather bright condition.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - garden on 9th September, 2020
Thursday, 10th September

This day brought us some excitement in the form of visits from a Nuthatch, a Willow Warbler, and (not seen for some weeks previously) a Stock Dove. Sadly, I only managed photos of the Nuthatch, but was happy to get these as this is a species rarely seen in the garden. It was busy hiding sunflower hearts in nooks and crannies and, at one time, seemed to be playing hide-and-seek with a House Sparrow.







Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 10th September, 2020
Sunday 13th September, 2020

There was then little of significant interest in the garden until the end of the week, and on this day the Nuthatch returned, but any photos taken were rather less acceptable than those above. Most excitement was caused, however, by visits from two dragonflies, neither of which stayed long enough for a photo. The first was a male Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum), and the second a male Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea).

 

That brings me to the end of this blog post. As mentioned above, the next blog post is likely to be a long one, and might well be a couple of weeks in the production process! In the meantime, stay safe and well, and look after nature so that it can look after you.
 

30 comments:

  1. Brilliant Richard, the Parasol Mushroom is my favourite, lovely to eat. And the Nuthatch, beautiful images, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have picked those mushrooms, Bob, if I had more confidence in their identity! I wish the Nuthatches would visit more often, but it is always a real treat when they do visit. Thank you for your kind words. Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. You seem to have more to photograph than me Richard. Even the animals have disappeared from my garden. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that, Mike. Do you know why they have gone? Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Love the Nuthatch and Migrant Hawker photos. As always Richard, your garden seems to deliver the goods and has some lovely wildlife. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I feel so sorry for people who don't have the benefit of a garden in these difficult times. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard, beautiful photos, I love the Nuthatch, we have them not in our area. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Caroline. I'm rather fond of Nuthatch too - I tend to think of them as miniature woodpeckers! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Good morning Richard: I know that Wood Pigeons are very common, and not even highly regarded by some, but I have always considered them very handsome birds and I for one welcome the picture of this young pigeon. The start attraction of your entire post is, of course, the CANADA Geese, slowly, but unwaveringly it seems, colonizing the entire temperate world! I will be sure to telegraph to them that you are a special friend of Canada so that they treat you with deference and respect, and attempt not to poop in your path. It is ironic that we both featured our respective nuthatches this week, and I have no doubt that we were equally delighted to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. I tend not to think of them not as handsome, but as smart in appearance and the opposite in intelligence. Do I detect an element of bias in your attraction to Canada Geese? I always get excited by the sight of a Nuthatch no matter where it is, even though it is a relatively common bird, but one in the garden is much appreciated by both Lindsay and I.

      Delete
  6. hola Richard, he llegado hasta tu blog porque amo la naturaleza y la fotografía, (pero no soy fotógrafa!!!!) o sea que no puedo opinar sobre las fotos sino desde el ángulo de mi gusto por ellas.En este caso que fantástico recorrer el jardín y lograr estas maravillosas capturas, todas me encantaron y me resultaron fantásticas, pero quede fascinada con los insectos y puntualmente la de la mosca y flor..me pareció una foto tremenda. Que sigas disfrutando tus paseos asi podemos compartir estas bellezas . Saludos desde Argentina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saludos Eli. Gracias por su visita y sus amables palabras. Estoy encantado de que hayas disfrutado de esta publicación de blog. Espero que se las esté arreglando para mantenerse a salvo en estos tiempos difíciles de Covid. Con mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, again you show us all the beauty of your garden and its inhabitants. The juvenil Woodpigion, Nuthatch. Than all the butterflies, and dragonflies stunning. Your photos are again a joy to watch. I notice that you do not have problems with the new blogger and posting photos. As it ocurs to me your blog always seems a lot wider than mine and still your header is in the middle or at least covers the whole upper part of your blog. If I make my blog wider that my header photo stays on the left and dous not cover the whol lenght. Do you have a trick to solf that problem?
    Hope you are ok and stay safe,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roos. I meant to say thank you to you in this blog post for passing me that good advice on sizing pictures in a blog post, as it worked extremely well. However, I wrote the post in a bit of a hurry and forgot - sorry, and thank you. Unfortunately I am without my computer until next week so cannot investigate to give you a proper answer. I will do my best to remember when I get the computer back. If I forget, please remind me!

      My wife and I are both fine, thank you, but this Covid virus is getting us very worried as it is getting very bad again in UK. I hope that all is well with you. Take good care - - - Richard


      Delete
    2. Thank you Richard for your reaction. Take your time because in the meantime I solved it for the moment I think. But when you have acces to your computeren again I am interested how you centre your header.
      We are fine too and try to avoid situations that could not be safe.
      Regards,
      Roos

      Delete
    3. Hi Roos. Sorry to take so long to reply - Lindsay and I have been away on the Isles of Scilly and I needed to access to my computer to give an exact reply. The way that I ensure that my banner header goes all the way across the top of my blog is, when I have composed the image with the text on, I resample it to a size to suit the blog template that I use - in my case I resample the header image to 1184 pixels wide every time. This is the the perfect size for going all the way across the top of the blog - for different templates, or for different adjustments of the same template, it might be a different number of pixels however. I then remove the old header and put up the new header using the "instead of title and description" option. I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything you don't understand or if I can help with anything - I'm no expert, but I will do my best to help if I can!

      Lindsay and I are in the process of going into voluntary lock-down again as things are getting crazy in UK!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    4. I've just been back to your blog, Roos, and see you have already sorted it without my help - well done! Your header is super!

      Delete
  8. Richard although you say you did not see much you have some excellent photos here. The Nuthatch is lovely and the shot with the sparrow is cute. I would so love to see a nuthatch. Most annoying to actually see a kingfisher but not to get any photos. A friend of mine in the Dordogne the other day got some magnificent photos of a kingfisher with a frog in its mouth!! Bet it did not have garlic butter on it though 😊

    Take care and stay safe, this COVID thing is not going anywhere for a while!! Best wishes to you both Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diane. I'm sorry to hear that you don't see Nuthatch in your neck of the woods. I don't often one myself, but I could probably find one at short notice within 5 minutes of my home. Kingfisher is very much a matter of luck, however, unless I travel some distance. Lindsay doesn't like frogs, with or without garlic butter!

      The Covid situation is getting crazy in UK and, with so many poeple refusing to accept the rules and advice, I don't see it getting in my lifetime - which might well be foreshortened at this rate!

      Best wishes to you both. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I am wondering if we will ever go on holiday again, Thank goodness we went to RSA at the end of last year!!! Keep safe Diane

      Delete
    3. Well, Diane, we did manage to get away last week, and had (nearly) a week on the Isles of Scilly. The flight there was delayed by just over 24 hours, the weather was not great, but we both agreed that it was one of the best holidays as we badly needed a change of scenery. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    I was just on David's side ... now I'm visiting your blog, and what do I see, you too are showing us a nuthatch
    I've seen Kleiber here several times, of course not photographed well German Kleiber are different ... ;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. I am not sure what you are saying here. British Nuthatch are Eurasian Nuthatch and the same as yours, but maybe not in character. Nuthatches in Canada are of two different species to the European ones. Or are you just saying that German Nuthatches do not like to be photographed? ;-}

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. I presume this is likely your last "summer" post, and it is simply lovely! What a diverse collection of nature you offer. Birds, insects, fungi. Who could wish for more?

    The Ruddy Darter and Migrant Hawker are, of course, favorites.

    However, any day one encounters a Nuthatch is a special day! I could watch these little tree climbers all day. And have done so!

    Gini and I are quite busy chasing fall migrants and life here is fantastic! Yesterday we had our first "no humidity" day of the season and it felt wonderful. All our best wishes to you and Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the very late reply, Wally. Lindsay and I have been away for a week - it was just what the doctor ordered!

      There may be a last late 'summer' post in the pipeline, but then it's almost certainly autumn ('fall' to you) followed by winter - just to be different!!

      Having been away, I'm not sure what the dragonfly scene is near home now - looks as if there will be no good weather for a few days as we are still suffering the effects of 'Storm Alex', but there will be a dragon or two in the next blog post, but can't promise any more Nuthatches.

      Delighted to hear that your weather is now de-humidified, and that things are going well for you. Best wishes to you and Gini - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard,
    you are not the only one who is late to respond and visit. I even think I'm the last one hahahahaha .... but I always look back and often I still have the mail in the mailbox of blogs that I have yet to view :-).
    You have your garden path ready so you can continue for a while ;-)
    Your photos are beautiful again and I especially love to see the hawker. The Nuthatch series is also really beautiful. It is also a beautiful bird with a specific attitude. I've enjoyed it.
    Stay safe and healthy.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma - sometimes 'last is best'! Your kind words are always much-appreciated. Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.