Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 7 December 2021

November Round-Up, Pt.1 - 1st to 15th November, 2021

November was, sadly, another month in which I got out into the wild far less than I should have done. As I have mentioned before, this was due to a number of reasons, which I will not trouble you with again. Most of what follows, therefore, is from my garden observations during the first half of the month.

Tuesday, 2nd November

In spite of autumn setting in, Red Admiral butterflies continued to visit us throughout most of the month when we had spells of sunshine.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - garden on 2nd November, 2021
The moth trap went out that night, but only resulted in three moths - all of the same species! The December Moth is a delightful species, and I always think of it as wearing a fur coat against the onslaught of winter.
 
December Moth (Poecilocampa populi) (male) - from garden on 2nd November, 2021
Thursday, 4th November

On this day, I did manage to get out for a few hours and visit Sence Valley Forest Park. My main objeectives were to try and find some 'winter thrushes' and to see if there was anything on, or around, the water. 

On the first leg of my wanderings, I did see a few Redwing, but these were very skittish (as always!) and I did not get any usable photos.

On Stonebridge Lake there was a family of Mute Swan, with both adults, plus three juveniles. This shot was taken from the hide at the opposite end of the lake.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Sence Valley FP
Also from the hide, I managed to grab some shots of a Long-tailed Tit.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - Sence Valley FP
I then took a stroll to Horseshoe Lake to see what might be around. I spent most of my time here trying to photograph the Pochard that were out on the lake but at some distance. I still have not managed to work out whether to pronounce their name as 'Poe chard' or 'Potchard' as both seem to be in use. Pochard are far from rare, but I don't seem to come across them very often.


Pochard (Aythya ferina) (male) - Sence Valley FP
I don't usually bother much with gulls (I can sense David cringing as he reads this!), however, this one seemed to want me to take its photo, so I felt obliged to do so.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Sence Valley FP

The light was fading fast, and it was time to head homeward. It had not been a very productive outing, but it had been good to get out and about.

Friday, 5th November

I'll start by saying that I'm sure that I'm not the only person in UK that thinks that the whole thing of celebration with fireworks has got out of hand. It seems that too many people have money to burn on fireworks that make the loudest of bangs. It's like Armageddon going on out there on Guy Fawkes night, scaring the crap out of wildlife, livestock, and pets, let alone many children too! And it's not only on November 5th (as it always used to be), but for a week or so either side of that date. It now seems that any celebration event, be it international, national or personal, has to be accompanied by fireworks. We've even had them going off long after our bed-time. It's time that these things were restricted in time, and only permitted for licenced organised events.

And don't get me started on gas-filled balloons!!

Anyway, back to this day before the countryside exploded with sound. I managed to take a few shots of the wildlife that graces our garden with their visits.

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 5th November, 2021
Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 5th November, 2021
Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - garden on 5th Novemeber, 2021
Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - garden on 5th November, 2021
Tuesday, 9th November

Having been informed of the location of a hornets' nest close to home, I felt that I had to investigate, so headed of to Willesley Wood. I had a good look round but couldn't find the nest, so decided to take a walk through the woods, circumnavigating Thortit Lake in the process.

There was little about and all I had photographed as I approached my start pointonce more were various fungi. I know virtually nothing about fungi, so am not attempting any sort of ID on the following. If anyone cares to offer ID suggestions I'd be delighted to receive them.




various fungi - Willesley Wood
I'd found so little to photograph during my walk that I resorted to taking some shots of a slug on the pathway. There's nothing like a bit of variety!
 
Black Slug (Arion ater agg.) - by Thortit Lake
Wednesday, 10th November

I was busy in my study when Lindsay called me through to the lounge, where a Pheasant had landed on the sill of the lounge window. I was able to get my camera and take a shot before it departed. This was only our second ever 'garden record' of this species!

Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (female/juvenile?) - garden on 10th November, 2021
Saturday 13th November

The moth trap went out again this night and, although there was nothing in the trap the next morning, there was a moth on the Virginia Creeper beside the trap. In accordance with normal practice I will record that as being from the date the trap was deployed.

The moth was a first for the garden - a Scarce Umber. This was a male of the species - the females are 'wingless'.

Scarce Umber (Agriopis aurantiaria) (male) - from garden on 13th November, 2021

This brings me to the end of my account of my observations for the first half of November. Thank you for dropping by. My account of the second half of the month will probably follow in a week or so.

In the meantime, take good care of yourselves and Nature. Best wishes - - - Richard


22 comments:

  1. Hello Richard: I am glad that I am not the only one who is confused as to the correct pronunciation of Pochard. The other one that seems to give issues is "plover". I always pronounce it as in "lover" but some choose "clover". The English language is not without contradictions, is it? I will leave this issue as I bow to you while adjusting my bow. As for fireworks, it is time we got past this nonsense - totally! They are loud, sometimes dangerous, and must interrupt nocturnal wildlife to an extent we can barely imagine. Obviously people have money to burn - almost literally, given the momentary burst of satisfaction they get from pyrotechnics. A pox on all of them! A pheasant in the backyard is quite wonderful. I will look forward to the summary of the second half of November. As you are wont to say, take of yourself and Nature. It needs all the care we can give it. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a 'plover lover' David, although I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced as in 'clover'. I am, by the way, a 'pot-chard' man.

      The pheasant was on the windowsill at the front of the house which, in some respects, is even more remarkable in that it is largely surrounded by concrete, bricks and tarmac.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Here we also have "southern" pronounced by some as "suthern" and others as "sowthern". On it goes! There must be countless other oddities.

      Delete
    3. I suspect that particular one is peculiar to your side of the pond, David. There are plenty of examples of such things in UK - through regional accent, affectation, or just plain ignorance!

      Delete
  2. Hi Richard, I see you are having e-mail problems as well. I shall do my best to stay in touch. Interesting post and good pictures too.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. I'm not sure what you are refering to with your 'e-mail' comment unless it is the persisting problem of Blogger notifying me of some comments, but not others (more than half of them). Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Lovely observations Richard and photos too. To have Nuthatch in the garden must be brilliant. Like the Pheasant being nosey. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. We don't often see Nuthatch, but it's always a treat when we do. That Pheasant was a very strange occurrence, and I'm surprised that I managed to grab a shot that was useable - fortunately, my camera was on reasonable settings as is went almost immediately!

      Stay safe- it's getting silly out there again - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard! There has been everything nice to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. At the moment, I am finding my garden to be more interesting than the countryside that surrounds me!

      Delete
  5. We have just returned from nearly three weeks visiting family member between Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. We're tired!

    Your post is like a breath of fresh coastal air! Wonderful detail on the Blue Tit photograph. And such a fantastic fungi series!

    Hope to get back in the birding/photographing/blogging loop soon.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are doing great this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one heck of a road trip, Wally. No small wonder that you're tired! I see, however, that you're already 'back in the saddle' - and how! The latest post from you is superb.

      We're doing just fine thank you, but getting a little worried about the rise of this Omicron Covid variant. I'm just hoping it's all over before we are!

      Best wishes to you and Gini for the weekend and the following week - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Another nice variety around and about Richard, including the delightful December Moth with its fur cloak, such an amazing moth, and a Stock Dove in the garden....Heck!

    Take Care Stay Safe....It's taking off again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, Pete, we are getting Stock Dove on an almost daily basis - one or two, but never more. We had a bit of a break from them for a month or so, but they've been quite regular visitors for maybe a year or more.

      This Omicron variant is getting a bit scary! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    the pheasant on the windowsill has improved everything, when does such a case happen and you still have time to get the camera .. great, plus the mushrooms .. well i'm very careful with the consumption but a few mushrooms go out of the can always...
    greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. I have not found such wonderful fungi as those you showed us in your delightful last blog post. I know so little about fungi, that I would not dare to try one that I found in the wild!

      If we are not in contact again beforehand, have a wonderful Christmas, and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos. I like the pheasant on the window. Have a nice weekend.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pheasant on the window is a favourite of mine too, Caroline! I hope that you're having a good weekend too.

      Delete
  9. Excellent images of nature, I love the Pochard and the Nuthatch, beautiful Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. It's always exciting to see a Nuthatch in the garden! Stay safe - it's getting silly out there again - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard,
    I recognize that you have gone into nature less. I also had no time for it, but also because of the loss of a few loved ones in the family.
    This blog full of pictures of butterflies, birds and also squirrel is really great. I also see a variety of fungi and mushrooms :-) Here in the Netherlands butterflies are already waking up because the temperature is too high for the time of year. This is worrisome.;

    Still be careful.
    Sincerely,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sincere sympathy for the loss of people close to you, Helma. I am, perhaps, fortunate in that I have only lost one friend recently and that was not due to Covid. So many people have lost loved ones due to this terrible pandemic.

      I too am noticing that wildlife and plants have been thinking that spring is with us. The bulbs in the garden are already poking through their leaves, and one of our fuchsias is sprouting new leaves from growth that has not died back this winter. However, we now have very cold weather again, so maybe this new growth will die again?

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.