Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 27 April 2018

The Fieldfare Invasion - 1st to 4th March, 2018

Thursday 1st March, 2018

Most years we have one or two visits by one to three Fieldfare to our small suburban garden in Leicestershire. This is usually at the beginning of winter, when we still have berries on our Rowan tree. It was, therefore, somewhat of a surprise when the spell of extremely cold weather (commonly referred to as "the Beast from the East") hit UK on 1st March that we had a Fieldfare arrive in our garden and take the last few shrivelled berries on the Rowan that had been rejected by the resident Blackbirds.
 
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 1st March

I quickly took a couple of apples from our fruit bowl, cut them in half, and put them out on the snow on the ground. Almost immediately, more Fieldfare arrived.

The apples were being fought over and we needed more, so I went out to Packington Stores to buy some. Whilst there, I asked the proprietor, Peter, if he had any old apples that were past their prime that I could feed to the birds. He hadn't, but said he could get me some early the next morning when he went to market, and they'd be in the shop at 07h00!

By the end of the day, my counts of Fieldfare numbers present had peaked at 14. Here are a few images from that day.






Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 1st March
Friday 2nd March, 2018

I was out early to visit Packington Stores to get the apples. Peter offered me two boxes - one more than half full with (I guess) around 60 to 70 apples in, and one with around 40 apples in. I chose the one with less apples and was charged next to nothing for these.

Having got home, I cut in half around a dozen or so and placed them at various positions around the garden in the hope of minimising competitive squabbles. The Fieldfare came in greater numbers and, by mid-day, I was having to replenish the offerings.

At one point I managed to count 33 Fieldfare in the garden, but I suspect that there were more than this! Here are a few from this second day.






Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 2nd March
Saturday 3rd March, 2018

The snow was starting to disappear and Fieldfare numbers were down - at last some of the other birds that usually visit our garden were able to get a look-in! On this day we peaked at just 8 Fieldfare.



Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 3rd March
Sunday 4th March, 2018

There was no doubt that the Fieldfare invasion was almost over.  We peaked at just 6 birds and by the afternoon there was just one left, then that one departed too. All we were left with was the remains of a lot of apples, masses of what must have been Fieldfare poo, but which looked like stewed apple pulp that was turning brown, and some wonderful memories of what is never likely to ever be repeated! It was amazing while it lasted! Here's a shot of the last bird to be with us.

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 4th March
At this point in time, I have no idea what my next blog post will feature.

Thank you for dropping by.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, you certainly had some Fieldfares, well turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever again see anything like that in my garden, Bob. Thank you for your visit. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard: What an incredible experience and it must be especially satisfying that you made it happen. A little creative thinking resulted in a birder’s dream come true, some past-their-prime apples got put to good use, and it all cost next to nothing. I think we all owe a vote of thanks to Peter too, for his cooperation in securing the apples. A great story all round.........and by the way, I have never seen a Fieldfare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the word out about Peter and his apples, David, and I know of at least one other birder that took good advantage of his generosity. Peter's small village store (primarily a grocery) is an amazing place - just a couple of days ago someone was telling me that they'd been in and asked if he knew where they could buy a compass, and Peter went to the back of the store and produced one! It seems that anytime you ask for something and he hasn't got it in stock, it'll be there for you the next day. He's a lovely guy too. We go there in preference to the local Tesco supermarket.

      I was somewhat surprised that you've not seen Fieldfare. I thought that your visit to Slovenia might have yielded some as I have seen them in Central European countries (possibly not Slovenia, however) - mainly foraging on mown grass in parks. I realise that this might not have been the type of place you'd visit when birding.

      With love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I think we were just a tad early.

      Delete
    3. If the map in the Collins Bird Gude is correct, David, in Slovenia you were in the "Present all year round, including when breeding" area, although not far from "Winter range", which you would have entered when you dipped into Italy.

      Delete
    4. Should have added that I've only seen them in spring to autumn months in that region as I've not visited in winter.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing these photos with us. Not a bird I know at all, but you certainly made it all happen and very successfully it seems. I love the shot of the Fieldfare in the buds and the leaves and the expression on the bird’s face looks so satisfied. Well done another terrific post with great photos.
    Have a great weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Diane, which are much appreciated!

      I admit that the shot of the bird in the Pieris buds is one of my favourites too - not as a 'technical' portrait of the species, but for its amusement value!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard! Fieldfare is really a beautiful bird. In the summer, the beauty of the fieldfare will not be noticeable. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. We only see these birds in winter in England. With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Amazing collection of brilliant Images,love the falling snow shots,and you had large numbers.
    Also love your new Header.
    Keep safe and well.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. For me, that was a real treat, probably never to be repeated.

      Best wishes to you and Sue - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Some stunning images Richard the last one from the 2nd just has that look of "thought we migrated to get away from the snow" and the 4th image at the start, easily a favourite with the falling snow and the angle of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Doug. You've probably nominated my favourite shots too!

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard,
    great to see the fieldfare. It is a beautiful bird that can only be seen in the Netherlands in the winter. It is great to photograph this bird in the snow. You shot one very beautiful series.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma. It's great to hear from you again. It is sometimes possible to see Fieldfare in the summer in the north of UK, but in England, as in the Netherlands, it is only in winter that we see them.

      I hope that you have a good week and I'm looking forward to your next blog post.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.