Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 3 September 2019

Strumpshaw Fen Pt.2 - 8th (lunchtime) to 9th (lunchtime) July, 2019

This is the second part of my report of my short visit to Strumpshaw Fen in Norfolk. You can find the first part here:- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2019/08/strumpshaw-fen-pt1-7th-to-8th-lunch.html

Up until now, I'd had two 'lifers' for the visit, and my best ever views of Barn Owl. The second half of my visit wasn't quite as rewarding, but there was another unexpected 'lifer' in store for me.

Monday, 8th July - lunchtime onward

Having had my picnic lunch in my car, I set off down Tinkers' Lane. Little of interest was seen on the lane, but I started seeing camera fodder as soon as I crossed the railway tracks onto the path that leads to the Lackford Run. 

I was keeping my eyes open for another Variable Damselfly, having had one as a 'lifer' the previous day. Common Blue and Azure Damselflies were readily found.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
There were a few butterflies in evidence too. Here are a couple:-

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Strumpshaw Fen
I got quite excited when a Southern Hawker arrived, and landed in an inaccessible tree at some distance. This was heavily cropped with the lens at 500mm

Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) (immature male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I got even more excited when, a short time later, a Hairy Dragonfly appeared and perched in an equally inaccessible place. This was the first (and will be the last) time I'd seen this species in 2019. It is quite late in the year for this species and, coincidentally, this exact date (July 8th) was the last recorded sighting of this species in Norfolk in 2018!

Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I spent some time photographing Scarce Chasers, but only males were seen.


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I'd also seen mainly males of Black-tailed Skimmer, but got lucky when a pair arrived in mating wheel. These ones were trying to fool me into thinking they were Scarce Chasers by not being on the ground.

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fenail
Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male+female in cop) - Strumpshaw Fen
I did keep myself busy by photographing the occasional 'other insects', including butterflies - it's all good practice!

longhorn beetle (Rutpela maculata) - Strumpshaw Fen
Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen

Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
The day ended on another high as I got to the end of my walk. In the area where I'd seen the Variable Damselfly the previous day, I found a few more, and was particularly delighted to find a female amongst them.


Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
It was now around 17h00, I'd had an early start and had spent virtually the whole day on my feet, and it was time to head back to base. I stocked up with provisions for an evening meal from the M&S Foodstore, and ended up with another early night.

Tuesday, 9th July - to lunchtime

The gentleman that I'd chatted to while watching the Barn Owl the previous morning had told me that he tried to get there every day at around 07h00 to watch the Barn Owls, and they never let him down. The alarm was set for 05h00, a quick breakfast was had, and off I set for Strumpshaw Fen once more.

The day was not as bright as the previous day, and rain was forecast to arrive at lunchtime. I arrived shortly after my companion, briefly spotting a Barn Owl enter a box that was relatively close to the path, just before I arrived. 

We waited for quite a long while, but the only thing that flew anywhere near us was a Marsh Harrier with prey.


Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
The juvenile Barn Owls were showing at the entrance to their nest box. There were at least three of them, and we came to the conclusion that some would be fledging very soon. 

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) (juveniles) - Strumpshaw Fen
We'd been there for about two and a half hours, with no further sightings of an adult Barn Owl, so decided to explore other areas of the reserve. My companion (yes, I've forgotten his name!) had not seen a Grasshopper Warbler, so we headed to where I'd seen one the previous day, more in hope than expectation. On the way, I photographed a moth which, I found out later, is a bit of a speciality of the area.

Lesser Cream Wave (Scopula immutata) - Strumpshaw Fen
We didn't see a Grasshopper Warbler, and little was seen at Fen Hide too, but we were informed that there was a Great Egret being seen from Tower Hide, so we headed to there.

The Great Egret was distant, and stayed that way.

Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Strumpshaw Fen
I spent a little while trying to photograph a Common Tern, but with limited success.


Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) - Strumpshaw Fen
A family of Shoveler arrived, including six youngsters. The adult female had a very noisy preening session.



Shoveler (Anas clypeata) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
A juvenile Great Crested Grebe was cruising around at a distance.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) (juvenile) - Strumpshaw Fen
We spent nearly an hour here before deciding to go our separate ways as it was starting to look like the rain was coming our way. My companion headed back southward, while I set off in the opposite direction towards the Lackford Run.

Whilst still beside the River Yare, and on the densely tree-lined path, I noticed an Emerald Damselfly perched. It was in a difficult position and, with the rain clouds overhead reducing what little light there was, I nearly didn't bother to photograph it. It was only nearly a month later, when I got out of hospital, that I came to look at my photos - and found that I'd actually photographed another 'lifer' - a Willow Emerald Damselfly! This was largely confirmed by the marking on the side of the thorax.


Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
Rain was already in the air, and I high-tailed it back along the Lackford Run and down tinkers' Lane to my car, managing to get there before the worst of the rain arrived. Having had my picnic, with the weather turned for the worse, it was time to head homeward.

It had been a rather exciting and rewarding visit to Strumpshaw Fen, although I had not managed to achieve either of my original two objectives. I was too late for the Swallowtails and, although I'd had very distant views of Norfolk Hawker, they had been very elusive, and I'd not managed a single photo. Several people stated that it had been a bad year for them in those parts. I hope for a return visit next year, and who knows what wonders might entertain me!

Thank you for dropping by. Unless I get out somewhere to take some more photos, I expect my next post be a short one and feature mainly dragons from the end of June.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! I'm delighted that you liked them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Richard
    Fantastic nature, so many I can't mention one. They are splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to visit, Bob. I'm sure you'd love it! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard, good to read and see you are on the right track again surching for all kinds of beautyful things nature has in store for us. Another special find like the Willow Emerald Damselfly, and it is indeed amazing to see that green marking. A Great White Egret, they are also doing remarkably well on the continent and groing in big numbers every year. Love that capture of the three Barn Owls in their nestbox. And as always your photos are most wonderful and sharp.
    Al the best from Maaseik,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. This visit was just a few days before I went into hospital, and I was not well during the visit, so this isn't a report of me being back in action again. In fact, I had not been out with my camera for two months, until today. Sadly, today I did not manage many photos, and I suspect that those I did take weren't very good.

      Great Egret are doing amazingly well in UK and I suspect that we will have a good breeding population soon.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Those young Barn Owls at the opening to the nest box are just too precious for words, Richard. I was very interested to see the Great Egret too. This species has become quite common here in recent years and at Columbia Lake in Waterloo there were fifteen when I checked two days ago. I suspect that following on the heels of Little Egret a few years ago they are about to colonize the British Isles. I would imagine that Norfolk with all its fens could become a stronghold for them. Great couple of days away you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. I've been saying, for a couple of years now, that soon Great Egret will be as common here as Little Egret now are. Fifteen years ago, the sight of a Little Egret was remarkable in UK. We've had good numbers of Great Egret at Rutland Water this year - can't remember the exact count but think that it was in double figures at one point.

      Delete
  5. Yet again some real rarities here and beautifully captured.
    We have lots of Ringlets here but they only have rings underneath their wings the upper surface is plain brown. Happen it's just a Scottish aberration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. I have some photos of Scottish Ringlets taken precisely for the reason you give. However, I prefer the southern version as they look somewhat more attractive with their wings open!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    I want and can not decide which one should be the best ... first quality ...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you liked the images, Frank. Thank you for your visit. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Agnes. Beautiful nature helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Richard,
    what a great catch of dragonflies, damsels, butterflies and insects. Beautiful to see and nicely sharply photographed. The harrier with prey is also great to see. And ohhhhhhh ..... those two barn owls in that bird box !! Great to see !!! I'm in love hahahahaha ......
    All your animals that come underneath such as the egret, ducks and dragonflies are beautiful. My compliments for this fantastic series.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from someone as talented as you, Helma, your very kind comments are much-appreciated! It was a great visit to the east of England and I'm hoping to return there next year. I wish you all the best for the coming week. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Superb post, Richard!

    I've been concentrating a bit more on odonates and your splendid images really help motivate me to do better. From the damsels to the large dragons, just wonderful!

    And, of course, just like most of your fans, I "awwwwed" aloud upon seeing the young Barn Owls. Very special.

    What a unique moth!

    Thank you for putting this fantastic two-part post together for us all to enjoy. I know it took a lot of your valuable energy.

    We're doing great! Getting out a lot, despite the heat and humidity. Gini and I continue to wish you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the super dragon images on your recent blog posts has fired up my enthusiasm to get out there and find some before the season ends, so I have you to thank for the inspiration, Wally. I'm delighted to hear that you are braving the climate and getting out a lot, and that things are going well for you both. I seem to be doing OK here - waiting for the results of yesterday's x-ray for confirmation. Thank you for your kind wishes. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. My gods! Your insect shots are sooo good! If I try to do a macro on those skimmers, one side is blurred. Really nice. Hope all is well with you. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Chris! A couple of years ago I went out for a morning with a very accomplished dragonfly photographer. He told me that, when shooting dragonflies, I should take lots of shots and take them from slightly different angles. I try to follow his advice and possibly end up with one 'keeper' for every 10 to 20 shots!

      THank you for your kind words. Still recovering from pneumonia and pleurisy, but getting there now! My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.