Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 19 January 2020

Out For A Duck - on 30th December, 2019

Harking back to the end of last year, I'd been getting a bit stir-crazy and, having heard of an interesting sighting at the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust's Drakelow Nature Reserve, I came to the conclusion that an after-lunch visit was required. 

I arrived at the car park  to find just one car there, with a couple just about to get into it to depart. They reassured me that my target was there, and that there was a 'young man' in the hide that would show me where to look. As there was no other vehicle present, and this place is in the back of beyond, I wondered how he'd got there. As I approached the hide, I got my answer - he'd arrived by bicycle. What was more impressive was that he'd managed to bring a 'scope and full-sized tripod with him.

He told me that my target had been showing well, but that it had currently disappeared round a distant 'headland'. Oh well! - time for a pleasant chat in good company. 

It didn't take very long, however, for my target to appear - there she was - a female Long-tailed Duck. It had been more than three years since I'd seen this species inland (at Rutland Water) and, surprisingly, nearly nine years since I'd seen one on the Scottish coast (where they are relatively common in winter). She was, however, a long way away.

Although the sun was shining, it was fairly low and giving difficult light conditions for photography because of strong contrasts between water, background, and the bird. It didn't help that the bird was actively feeding and spending most of its time underwater, only surfacing for a few seconds before disappearing and then surfacing some time later in a different location.


Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) (female) - Drakelow NR
After a while, the duck disappeared round the back of the headland again. I waited a while, but the only thing to come near enough to the camera to take a photo of was a Wigeon.

Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (male) - Drakelow NR
After a while, I decided that it was time to explore the rest of the site - if only to get a little exercise! Although I saw plenty, there was nothing to tempt me to use the camera but, as I headed back, a pair of Mute Swans made it quite clear that they wanted their photo taken - or maybe they thought I would feed them!


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Drakelow NR
Although it was now 15h00 and the light was failing, I thought it might be worth my while to pop into the first hide again and see if the Long-tailed Duck was showing. It wasn't at first, but it soon appeared again and I managed some more shots although the light was even more difficult.


Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) (female) - Drakelow NR
To my delight, it then came somewhat closer! It was, however, still spending most of its time underwater.





Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) (female) - Drakelow NR
I do think that a female Long-tailed Duck looks wonderful face-on.

The light was going and there was no point in hanging around any longer, particularly as the exit gate was nearly a mile and a half away (2.2km) down a slow track and I didn't want to be trying to read the combination lock in the dark.

I'm sorry if this post feels a bit like scraping the bottom of the barrel which, essentially, it is. I have absolutely no idea what the subject of my next post might be as, until I find the time to get out again, I will have little to offer. I'm just hoping that my wife Lindsay's back gets better soon so that I can be released from some of the household duties!

Thank you for dropping by. Please, in all your activities, think about the future of the planet and its wildlife and do what you can to protect it - or it might not have a future!


28 comments:

  1. Hi Richard
    Well, you have a photos the Long-tailed Duck, I haven't seen one.. Well done.
    I shall be the future of the planet and its wildlife, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not too easy to find, Bob. Scottish harbours in winter seem to be the easiest places to find one to photograph. Thanks for the comment - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. A Long-tailed Duck is well worth the effort, Richard. It is a beautiful little creature and you finally wound up getting some pretty decent shots. Too bad a male didn't agree to put in an appearance along with the female. This species is common on Lake Ontario in the winter, and I always look forward to its arrival. Hope that Lindsay is more mobile soon, both for her sake and for yours. Spring, after all, is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a strange coincidence that you featured a Long-tailed Duck on your blog David, just as I was writing this blog post! I was once lucky enough to see a male and female together at Burghead in Scotland - a place that I expect you remember.

      Thank you for your concern and good wishes. Lindsay is getting more mobile and now managing to spend about half her awake time downstairs. She's even up to making the occasional cup of coffee, but not much else. She's getting thoroughly fed up with the situation.

      Delete
  3. The light levels may have been low but the added colour in the reflections shows the duck off perfectly..... Don't forget to clean behind the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. I've enough to do without worrying what's going on behind the fridge! However, I'm rather pleased with the way I'm managing to keep the shipe afloat.

      Delete
  4. I do not think I have ever seen a long-tailed duck so this was an interesting post for me.

    So glad to hear Lindsay is on the mend. I have been full of flu again this week and although feeling better today the cough is still quite bad!! We went to a 'do' with the mayor, Saturday before last, about 200 people, and I mentioned there was quite a lot of coughing around! The French greeting of kissing is not suitable for winter with bugs around!!

    Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that you've been unwell, Diane. I usually lead a relatively solitary life outside home so don't get exposed to large close groups, and it's a long time since I was last French-kissed! ;-}. With all the shopping I'm doing at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if I succumbed to something unpleasant, however.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. A lovely experience to see, let alone photograph a Long tailed Duck. A lovely collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. It was an enjoyable encounter with a very appealing bird!

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, I looks like a lot of bloggers went out to find some Ducks or other birds that can be seen on the water. The Long-tailed Duck is beautyful. I have seen them in other years as well most in The Luysen. But never was able to take photos up close like you managed. Wonderful.
    Hope all is well,
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. In this area, many of the interesting birds that visit in winter are wetland birds. Because we are so far inland where I live, the birds that are usually seen on the coast create a lot of excitement when they appear here.

      I'm OK, thank you, but my wife is still in pain with her back and I'm still doing all the work round the house. At least I'm getting plenty of excercise, even if I'm not getting out much!

      My very best wishes. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. LT Ducks are great - I remember getting very cold having wonderful views of them off the coast of Northumbria many Moons ago!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a habit of turning up in cold weather, Stewart, but I was lucky to be able to watch from inside a hide - which even had armchairs instead of the usual hard bench!

      Best wishes from UK - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. I like how you bird. Plus, I'm glad you chased this duck. It's a good one, even if I've seen it many times, I always enjoy the beauty of a Long-tailed Duck. That's a cool bird!

    And what about a bird tally in your backyard for the next post? You're a good person. I hate the chores myself. Bird or chores? The birds win almost every time. I hope she gets better. It's a slow process. Wishing you both back to "normal" soon.

    Take care!

    Chris and Micheal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those kind words, guys. I'll have to think about a 'back yard bird' post. Did, however, get out for a few hours the day after publishing this post, and came up with some more material for a blog post.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. I love those times when you get good sightings and your the only one there and you have got your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your sentiments, Mike, but it's also good to have intelligent company sometimes. On this occasion I enjoyed the company of the other person for the first half - then he departed to cycle home as he didn't want to be on his pushbike after dark and I had the place to myself - best of both worlds.

      Delete
  10. Kudos, Richard, on having the patience to wait out the Long-tailed Duck! I agree with you on the face-on image. Very nice, indeed!

    Swans and wigeon are nice side-benefits, too! Lovely.

    Lindsay must have a sense of satisfaction in that all those years of her training you have finally come to fruition. Seriously, Gini is all too familiar with back issues and we both send our most positive thoughts for her recovery. We suspect you are not out of the woods yet, either, so be careful with how much hiking you plan!

    All here is good. Lots of birding lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Patience is something that I have plenty of when it comes to wildlife watching, Wally. I won't say that I've never been the person that dashes into a hide, looks round to see what's visible, and then dashes out again if nothing's showing, but have long learned that sitting waiting for the birds to arrive is often the best policy.

      Lindsay has always told her friends that she's got me well-trained, and I'm happy with that. I have to admit that, other than the fact that it restricts my 'free time', I'm quite enjoying being in charge of the household. I'm just off to do the ironing - which happens to be one of my regular jobs anyway (Lindsay hates ironing!).

      Delighted to hear that all is well with you both. Thank you for your all your kind words of support - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard, your long-tailed duck is very beautiful. I hope to see him too in the future. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline. Thank you. I hope you see a Long-tailed Duck soon too. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard
    Light contrasts on the water are difficult to get to grips with, but how the duck got closer still nice photos were taken, the swan is still waiting for food :-))
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. The light contrasts were difficult, and I was constantly heving to change camera settings as the bird moved from 'light water' into 'dark water' and back again. This was made more difficult as often it would dive in 'light' and surface in 'dark' and vice versa. I t was just a joy to see the bird, however.

      Yes, I don't think that swan will trust me again!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Hello Richard,
    great to be able to photograph the ice duck :-))))
    The whole series is really amazing to see. I hope to meet this one time :-)
    You also managed to beautifully manage the swan. White is by no means easy but you have managed to capture the beautiful feathers of the swan.
    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma. I hope that you do manage to find this bird to photograph, as I am sure that you will make some wonderful pictures! My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.