Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 8 July 2021

2021 Hebridean Adventures, Pt.2 - 23rd to 26th May, 2021

Blogger is still succeeding in destroying header images, but I'll persevere anyway - please just imagine that the header is sharp!

I set off writing this post with a view to making an effort to making it shorter on words, and cram in the photos in the hope of this being the final part. However,  best laid plans . . . . ! It's going to be a three-parter. If you missed it, you can find Pt.1 here:- http://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2021/06/2021-hebridean-adventures-pt1-18th-to.html.

So here goes:- 

Sunday, 23rd May          the north of North Uist

          cold and very windy

The road on which our rental property is situated is named Clachan Sands. The place nmed Clachan Sands which has an informal camp site and a fine beach is nearby but off a different road - boy, does that cause confusion to the campers! 

A stroll a couple of hundred metres up theroad from the cottage after breakfast didn't produce the plethora of Redshank and Lapwing expected. However, Meadow Pipits were much in evidence.

 
Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - Clachan Sands,  North Uist
We stayed local that day, the Committee Road leaving us stuck on the Meadow Pipit theme.

Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) -Committee Road, North Uist
Not far from the property, beside the road to Berneray, we found a Hooded Crow.

Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix) - by Berneray Road, North Uist
A mid-afternoon return to the cottage had me finding things a little more exciting by the property.

Common Gull (Larus canus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

Another visit to the road by the cottage in the late evening had me spending time with an owl once more until it flew into the distance and joined up with another some 800 metres away (as shown in the last of the images below). If you don't like owls, now might be a good time to depart, as I am rather fond of them and there will be more than a few to come in this post!






Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Monday, 24th May          North Uist to Benbecula and return

          very windy and wet, a.m ; drier, but dull, p.m.

There's a road near Lochmaddy, North Uist where, two years ago, I briefly saw a pair of Red-throated Diver. We returned there this day, on our way to Griminis on Benbecula. We found a single Red-throated Diver, but it stayed very distant in poor light, so I only got a record shot.

Red-throated Diver (Gavia stellata) from North Lee Walk, North Uist

A visit to Griminis on Benbecula in the hope of finding Red-necked Phalarope didn't come up with the goods, and the rain was coming in through the window of the car. Even the geese had had enough and departed.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Griminis, Benbecula

Even my evening trawl of the road beyond our cottage was disappointing with the most interesting thing being Hooded Crow.

Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Thus ended a rather flat day.

Tuesday, 25th May          the north of North Uist

          very windy again, with showers in the morning

A pre-late breakfast stroll up the lane was pleasant although not outstanding.

White sheep, black lambs - Clachan Sands, North Uist

Lapwing  (Vanellus vanellus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

A run to the machair near Borgh on Berneray had us wondering why so few cars were parked on the grass above the beach. We subsequently found that this was now forbidden. However, there were several cars parked at a spot on the way back and an investigation found  us a beach we had not visited before. In spite of the cars, there were few people around and it was an amazing beach.

access path to beach through dunes - near Borgh, Berneray
beach - near Borgh, Berneray
The machair, on the way back to the main road can be interesting and Skylark here are quite common.


Skylark (Alauda arvensis) - machair near Borgh, Berneray

Calling in at the cottage gave us the delight of a relatively good encounter with a Twite - at last!

Twite (Linaria flavirostris) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Malacliet beach on the north coast of North Uist is one of Lindsay's favourites for looking for sea glass and bits of pottery. I concentrated on the few birds. I'm not good at gulls but think this is a young Common Gull.

Common Gull (Larus canus) - Malacliet, North Uist
Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula) - Malacliet, North Uist

mixed flock of Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula) & Dunlin (Calidris alpina) - Malacliet, North Uist
I took some photos of Sea Thrift and seaweed, being intrigued by the pink colours in the seeweed.

Sea Thrift (Armeria maritima) - Malacliet, North Uist


seaweed - Malacliet, North Uist
Further along the coast, we stopped so I could take some photos of Dr. Macleod's tower - a well-known landmark at Scolpaig.

This folly was built on an island in a small loch by Dr Alexander MacLeod of Balelone. The tower was built with stone scavenged from an earlier Iron Age dun. Around 1820 Dr MacLeod, for reasons best known to himself, decided to pull down the Iron Age remains and create a mock medieval tower in its place. One rather kind interpretation is that the doctor was concerned about the living conditions of the islanders and came up with his folly building plan as a make-work project to provide employment.
 
Sadly, it seems that this area is going to be severely sullied by the constraction of a rocket-launching station for communication satellites.
 
Dr. Macleod's Tower - Scolpaig, North Uist
Balranald beach on the west coast of North Uist swallowed up the three or four other people on it with no problem!

Balranald beach - North Uist

Sanderling (Calidris alba) - Balranald, North Uist
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) -Balranald, North Uist

Back at base, I didn't get any shots of owls that evening, but I did get a long-distance view of a Hen Harrier in the fields behind the cottage.

Hen Harrier (Circus cyaneus) (male) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
It was a fine ending to the day!

Thursday 26th May          the north of North Uist again

          less windy and a bit warmer with sunny spells

A more pleasant start to the day, weather-wise, seemed to have brought in the birds with suddenly there being good numbers of Redshank and Lapwing seen on my pre-breakfast stroll from the cottage. Most exciting was the sight of a Curlew, however.

Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Sheep with four black lambs - Clachan Sands, North Uist
The Redshank were being particularly noisy.

Redshank (Tringa totanus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

Lapwing  (Vanellus vanellus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
Encouraged by my earlier trip up the road, I returned after breaksat. As I left the cottage, one of the very confiding Wrens nesting in the thatched roof was delivering food to young. This, I believe, is of the subspecies hebridensis which is larger than the mainland Wren

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes hebridensis) - Cottage, Clachan Sands, North Uist
Redshank (Tringa totanus) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) (female) - Clachan Sands, North Uist

From the road just to the north of the cottage, I spotted a high-flying Short-eared Owl.

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) - near Clachan Sands, North Uist
We had lunch that day at a new eating facility that has popped up between the road and sea shore at Malacliet. It was excellent, although the bad weather for the past few days had prevented the fishermen from going out, so the menu had a few gaps in it. This instantly became our lunch stop of choice.
 
lunch at The Wee Cottage Kitchen, Malacliet, North Uist
Continuing down the west coast of North Uist, we took the loop road which ends up near the RSPB visitor centre, stopping at a place where the road is close to the coast. Here we found Eider and Sanderling. You are getting both shots of the group of eider as I couldn't make up my mind which amused me most.

Eider (Somateria mollissima) (males + female) - from Balranald loop road, North Uist
We stopped at Balranald, primarily to use 'the facilities', but I did take some shots of a common Gull.

Common Gull (Larus canus) - RSPB Balranald, North Uist
My regular run up the lane from the cottage produced a distant Curlew, but no Short-eared Owl.

Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Clachan Sands, North Uist
This brings me to the end of Pt.2 of my account. Pt.3 will follow at a later date.
 
Thank you for dropping by.
 
Best wishes - - - Richard


29 comments:

  1. Stunning images! All great but particularly love the owl & wader shots. Looks a fabulous place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's one of my two favourite places in UK, the other being the Isles of Scilly

      Delete
  2. What a lovely read. Plenty to see on that trip and a host of lovely photos and scenery. Got to applaud a few of them Short eared Owl shots. Lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I could sit and watch Short-eared Owls all day. Stay safe - -- - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard: You saw species that would have been really satisfying for me. I remember how common Meadow Pipits were when we visited Scotland together, and how we scanned one flock for a Tree Pipit - to no avail. Sometimes it's really good to have common birds you can rely when searching for something far more elusive. And you certainly had good luck connecting with Short-eared Owls. Any encounter with any owl makes it a red letter day in my book. Common Eider is a stunning bird that I can only see by making the journey to the Atlantic Coast, and if everything works out the way I hope, I will be doing just that in September. The sheep with the two black lambs is very attractive and I am wondering about the bare patch on its chest. Do you know the reason for that? I will look forward to Installment 3. Maybe a Corncrake or two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many days I have in Scotland without my mind going back to the time the three of us had a week together there, David. I'm sure you'd both love the Uists - especially if you like seafood!

      My fingers are now crossed for your planned trip to the Atlantic Coast, and encounters with Eider. I love those calls they make, and distinctly remember my surprise the first time I heard them.

      No Corncrake I'm afraid. They were far less evident this year, although occasionally heard from the cottage. The vegetation that they usually lurk in was almost nonexistent this year.

      I too wondered about the patch on the front of that sheep, and thought it was possibly as a result of veterinary attention.

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard,
    Extraordinary pictures, brought back many memories of my younger days, and a very good read too.
    Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike. I hope that those memories were happy ones. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard, beautiful serie photos. Have you read the number of the ring of the Dunlin ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I could only get a partial read of the ring. Might try reporting it anyway as someone may be able to sort it out. Take care - - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    fantastic pictures, of course the short-eared owls are my absolute favorite pictures
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank. The Short-eared Owls were the main highlight of my holiday, and my prime reason for visiting this place. Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Me has hecho pasar una buena tarde viendo y leyendo este reportaje, las fotos del Asio flammeus en vuelo son maravillosas. Un abrazo desde el norte de España, donde se empiezan a ver las primeras limícolas que regresan del norte de Europa. Todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Germán. Me alegra que te hayan gustado las fotos de Asio flammeus. Son una de mis especies de aves favoritas y lo que me hizo querer ir a estas islas. Mis mejores deseos desde Inglaterra, donde hace tanto frío que me dan ganas de encender la calefacción. Cuídate y mantente seguro - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. My favourite are Sanderling, Short-eared Owl and Dunlins the best Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. I'm rather fond of those three too. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, the Eiders are amazing ducks. The subtle colours the have is apealing to me. The birds you and sceeneries you show of your trip are amazing and I am a bit jalous of all you saw. The Short ear owl is one I still have to encounter.
    I do hope you enjoyed this trip twice as much because of the long wait you had to go out again.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. I agree with you about those colours on the drake Eiders - they would look good on pottery! I also love the sound that Eiders make when calling to each other. I hope you see a Short-eared Owl one day. They are wonderful to watch

      Yes, it was twice as good to be there, as we had been booked to visit last year but could not go because of Covid.

      Take good care and stay safe. I'm not convinced that our own government is doing the right thing in removing Covid restrictions tomorrow - I can see anothe huge wave of infection coming already. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. After scrolling through your post three times (six times for the owl images), three things occurred. I swear I can smell the sea. Secondly, my coffee cup was empty by the second review - and I just didn't care. Last, I asked Gini if she wanted to ride with me to the coast on Monday. She gave me her patented "now what do you think" look, so it's a date.

    Stunning photographs, scintillating narrative of your encounters and - well - owls. Although I am insanely jealous but I am also extremely pleased you and Lindsay were able to have such a fantastic adventure!

    I am certain I could easily spend a day wandering that beach - near Borgh, Berneray. The diversity of birds you discovered is fairly amazing! What did you do to upset that Redshanks?

    Gini and I were quite concerned how close you seemed to be to those wild sheep and are happy to hear you escaped without incident. (My mind went to tales of buccaneers of old and could envision a sign over a tavern swinging in the wind: "The Black Lamb". Chilling stuff!)

    Anxiously awaiting the Third Installment of your Hebridean exploits!

    Both of us hope both of you have a peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wally, there's certainly something magical about the coast. Sadly, I don't think that there are many places in UK that are further from the coast than we are in Ashby de la Zouch. Someone, somewhat sarcastically, once penned a well-known song which included the line "If you wanna smooch and be happy as a pooch, go to Ashby de la Zouch by the sea."

      Those Redshanks seem to spend their time yelling at each other as well as any intruders - be they human or avian. The noise is delightful to wake up to.

      I made sure that those black lambs were well fenced-in before I approached them.

      Your kind, and entertaining, words are much-appreciated, Wally

      Pt.3 should be up here in a couple of days or so.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini Try not to dissolve in the heat, and have a good week ahead - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Sorry Richard, I am not ignoring you, but I just seem to be extra busy in the house and the garden and the speeds on our WiFi have me climbing the wall. I have taken several photos, but I have also not had the time to go through them all so I am getting further and further behind.

    Impossible to pick any favourites in this post, a magnificent series of photos. I am fascinated though by the black sheep to the white mothers. I love the owls and the eiders and the wren with its breakfast is just too cute.

    Take care and please stay safe, I do not trust the new rules over there!
    Very best wishes to you both. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my total sympathy on all counts, Diane. I have the same ditractions, apart from the WiFi issue! I'm approximately a week and a half behind with my photo processing (only about three thousand more to go through), and about two months in arrears with my blog!

      We are both taking great care, and we too are not happy with the new (lack of) rules.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Almost the whole of France is going cable it seems. We appear to be left out of the reckoning and we are not on the list!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Richard,
    I just saw your latest blog and also in this one I'm only green on the colors hahahahahah...
    Great photos and what a joy this is!
    Great blog with the most beautiful flora and fauna.

    Regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words, Helma. I'm not sure that green suits you! ;-}

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.