Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Never Give Up !! - on 18th March, 2013

The weather forecast for the week was pretty dire, so when I woke up on Monday to find there'd been a very heavy frost, and the sun was shining brightly, I did the few chores I needed to do first, and then set out just before 10:00 to find some owls. The temperature outside was a balmy 12 degrees C, but I'd not gone above two miles (3km) when I found myself in thick fog and the temperature dropped to 2 degrees C. I'd learnt on 5th of the month that sometimes it just pays to press on and not give up, so I did so.

At the first site I stopped at, I couldn't even see the building where I'd first seen an owl on the last day of February. It was only a couple of hundred metres away, but totally obscured by the fog.

I next went to my LO Site No.08. If an owl hadn't been sitting out on a branch in silhouette I'd never have spotted it. You'll get the picture from this first image (totally unretouched).

Little Owl - my Site No.08
With a little experimentation when I got home, I found I could make a bit more of this same shot by hugely increasing the contrast and boosting the colour, as shown in the first image below. However, the mist emphasises the graininess.


Little Owl - My Site No.08
From here I went to another site, but nothing doing, so I decided to visit a farm which I supplied with a LO nest box last year to see if he'd had any luck with it being occupied. On the way I found that I needed to answer the call of nature, so diverted down a country lane. Having sorted myself out, I set off again and a short while later noticed a shape in a tree as I passed. I quickly reversed back up, and there was an owl!

Now one thing about fog and mist is that it flattens everything, and it's hard to judge distance and perspective. The owl had its back to me, and at first I thought that I'd seen a Little Owl in a near tree, but when I looked through the binoculars I saw I'd got a Tawny Owl out in a more distant tree! Yes, a Tawny out in the daytime!

I grabbed a few shots with its back to me, through the car window, and then slowly got out of the car and entered the field. However, I only managed some safety shots from just inside the field next to the car, when the owl ducked down into the tree. At least it had had the decency to look at me first so I got a shot showing its face! I'm keeping the image for later in this post, for reasons that will become apparent!

I then went off to visit the farmer (who is also a birdwatcher) who was only a few minutes away. Although he was seeing a Little Owl on an almost daily basis, he was only seeing the one. Furthermore there was absolutely no sign that the owl box we'd erected had even been looked at by an owl, although he often sees the owl in the tree that the box is in.

I then told him about my encounter with the Tawny Owl and he was quite excited as he'd not seen a Tawny in the area for years. I explained where it was and he said "do you mean that tree over there?" - you could see the tree from his farm! Amazingly, with a friend, he'd been considering putting a Barn Owl box in this self same tree! I strongly advised against it - Tawnies and Barn Owls don't mix to the best of my knowledge!

Now, bearing in mind that I'd been looking at that tree with the Tawny through the fog, so it all looked flat and grey, you'll understand that I had to do some major tweaking to the photos I'd taken when I got home. You can imagine my amazement when I discovered that I'd got two owls in the frame! I'd not spotted the lower bird!

Tawny Owls - undisclosed site, Leicestershire
You can guess where I'll be spending some time when we get some fine weather - the field is farmed by my local farmer!

On the way home I even managed to find a Little Owl at my Site No.18, where I not seen an owl since August in spite of several visits. 

OK, so you'd be mad to go out owling in a strong wind and torrential rain, but you should never give up unless it really is dire!

14 comments:

  1. Never give up....Keep on keeping on Richard.

    Your Tawny Owls are brilliant too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a find, I sense you're excited look forward to seeing more of the tawny, it could be a reason why the LO box isn't being used, I've seen a Tawny take an adult LO in daylight before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I've seen Tawnies before (even in daylight) I've never happened upon a nest before, so yes, Doug, I'm really excited!

      The farmer tells me the Little Owl shows well and frequently, often in a prominent position, so I suspect that the Tawny isn't the reason for the lack of occupation of the box - certainly the box is totally Tawny-proof.

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard.

    I absolutely ove your tawny owl image; what a stunning bird, beautifully photographed and the mate lower down is a real bonus. Fantastic stuff. I would love to have knowledge of a tawny site - congratulations indeed.

    Nice to meet a farmer who is a birder too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christian. I'm hoping they're going to breed and keeping my fingers crossed that I might be able to monitor the owlets development.

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos especially considering your weather. You obviously have lots of patience which I was not born with! I wish I could take better photos of birds, but the ones on my photodairy are improving. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. You underestimate your own photographic skills, and your artistic eye!

      Delete
  5. Glad you didn't give up. Amazed at the owl shots you are able to get. I've only seen the barred owl and even in bright daylight they like to hide in the shadows of the tree limbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. I will be seeing many more owls that the average birdwatcher over here because that is my particular interest. Most of our owls here don't show in broad daylight. The Little Owls are one of the exceptions, and Short-eared Owls are also often out during the day (although uncommon in these parts). Barn Owls can be seen as dusk sets in, or early in the morning. However, Long-eared Owls and Tawny Owls tend to be pretty much nocturnal - which is why I was so excited by seeing a Tawny out in the daylight! Tawnies are Britain's most numerous owl, but probably the least seen (other than the LEO).

      Delete
  6. It looks like you were able to bring out the colours of this bird, previously shrouded in dreary weather...very nice~

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.