Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 20 September 2017

A Dilemma Resolved - on 27th August, 2017

I'd had a hankering to have another session with the new macro lens, and try it on a few dragons and damselflies. The local weather forecast for the Sunday didn't look too bad and as it was probably the last open Sunday at Alvecote Wood at which I'd have a chance at these creatures (the open days are on the last Sunday of each month until December) I'd made up my mind to go there for the day, taking sandwiches with me. My main interest was to photograph some Emerald Damselflies as I'd not photographed many so far this year.

For some reason, that morning, I checked Birdguides for the latest news on sightings. I confess that this is something I probably only do once every week or two on average at this time of year. I was, therefore, highly disturbed to see that a Hoopoe had been being reported since the Friday only about 11 miles (18km) from my home. I've only ever seen one in UK once before, and then only got very distant views. 

Do I carry on with my plans to go to Alvecote, or do I head for Loughborough? Could I fit in both? If I fit in both, where do I go first? Ah, but I need the macro for Alvecote and the 50-500 for Loughborough - do I really want to be changing lenses in the field?

You'll probably have guessed wrong! What I decided to do was to go to Alvecote first, taking both lenses with me then, at around mid-day, look to see if the Hoopoe had been reported that morning and, if it had, scoot over to Loughborough.

I arrived at Alvecote Wood to be told that Sarah, the co-owner, was down by the ponds looking for dragons and damsels already, so without more ado, I set off for the ponds. 

At the ponds, I saw Sarah in the distance, but immediately saw some Emerald Damselflies. I soon found a limitation with the 150 macro. A mating pair were in front of me, but too far away to make anything of with the 150 - I'd have just about managed it with the 50-500.

Sarah told me that she'd seen plenty of Emerald Damselflies and a few Migrant Hawker dragonflies. However the latter hadn't been settling, and kept flying up into the trees.

I set about practising with the new macro lens, with the Emeralds as my prime target as they can be quite photogenic. I'm quite pleased with the results although, as always, there's room for improvement.








Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (male) - Alvecote Wood
If you only ever saw bronzed specimens as shown in those last four images, you could be forgiven for wondering where the 'emerald' epithet came from. I do love those blue eyes!

There were a few Ruddy Darter around, but I didn't spend much time on these.


Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Alvecote Wood
The Common Darters were being a little more obliging than their ruddy counterparts.






Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Alvecote Wood
That last set of images really convinced me that I'd bought the right lens! 

At one point I was watching a Migrant Hawker, and it settled on the far side of the pond that I was standing beside. I took a safety shot from a distance and I'm surprised that the shot (quite heavily cropped in the image below) turned out so well.

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Alvecote Wood
To my delight, it soon flew and settled a bit closer to me - then, almost immediately, it did so again!

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Alvecote Wood
I just couldn't believe my luck when it again rose from its perch and came even closer still. I am pleasantly surprised by the depth of field achieved, and these are almost certainly my best images of A. mixta yet!



Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Alvecote Wood
I learnt something that day which I wish I'd been aware of for the past few years, and that is that if I am using my camera in autofocus mode (which I always do), I can override any mis-focus by turning the manual focus ring. I have subsequently found that this works on the Sigma 50-500 also! Another thing that I soon found with the new macro lens is that the minimum focal distance is not as good as that on the 50-500!!

It was approaching lunchtime, and time for a decision. Fortunately, I was able to get an internet connection and check on the state of play in Loughborough - the Hoopoe had shown only a few minutes previously. I returned to my car, gobbled my sandwich, switched lenses so that the Sigma 50-500 was now on my camera, and set off for Loughborough which was only half an hour away.

I arrived to be told that the Hoopoe had shown for a while, but had then disappeared into the distance, looking as if it might not return. There were around half a dozen people standing at the roadside waiting for the bird. Whilst there, pal Col Green showed up and we had a chat just down the road from the main group who seemed to be talking far too loudly for our liking - we didn't think there was much chance of the bird returning under those circumstances. After around an hour it was starting to look as if we would be unlucky - and then we found ourselves being beckoned round the corner into Cherry Close, where an extremely kind lady invited us all into her house so we could stand in her lounge and dining room to watch, through the windows, the bird that was in her back garden. 

The bird was directly in front of me at one point, but it stayed virtually motionless and almost head-on for a while. Suddenly it became animated and moved off to the right. I still had great views, but the photos of it then deteriorated somewhat as I was shooting at an angle though double glazing. It was, nevertheless, a totally magical experience. I can see from the camera data that I was only there for 5 minutes, before deciding that it was time to let someone else have a chance, and so departed, leaving a donation with the wonderful lady who had let us all into her home without even asking us to take our boots off! I'm allowing myself to be totally self-indulgent with the images below as I just know I'll never get another opportunity like this with this species!









Hoopoe (Upupa epops) - Loughborough
It seems that some people stayed considerably longer than I did that afternoon, and some were lucky enough to get some excellent images of it with its crest up. I'm more than happy to get what I did, however! The next day the bird had gone.

I take this opportunity to thank, again, the wonderful lady in Cherry Close. You're an absolute star!

 Thank you for dropping by. 

32 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at how accommodating some non birders can be. Personally I don't think I would let a bunch of birders in my garden :-) but imagine being able to tick that as a garden species!! Brilliant images too.
    I have to say also the thing macro lens from my end of the screen seems to be really delivering some amazing results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug, for those kind words of encouragement.

      I still find myself thinking what an amazing lady she was to let us into her house, particularly as she was on her own. She even invited me to go upstairs! Apparently she told someone that her late husband was an enthusiast of some sort (I can't remember what, but it wasn't birds), and she knew he'd have wanted her to let the birders in.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. What a cracking set of images Richard. Those Emerald photos are pin sharp but you must remember, it's a macro lens and if you are lucky enough to get close enough for photos which is ideal in this manner of photography, the results will speak for themselves with this lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those kind words, Marc - coming from 'the master', they are particularly special to me.

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Another inspiring post, Sir Richard! What an incredible lady you encountered! Your Hoopoe photographs are superb! I chased this species all over Germany when we lived there without success. Alas, I found no nice ladies with one in their garden.
    Keep practicing with that macro lens and maybe you will manage a decent image some day. (Okay, for those who don't know me that is what is known as "extreme sarcasm".)
    I'm very impressed with the magnificent depth of field that lens is producing.

    Good news. We've been out and about the past two days and have encountered very active wildlife. Lots of damage to habitat but, as usual, nature is very resilient.

    Gini and I wish you and Lindsay all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wally. Thank you so much for your very kind words - even if I do get a little embarrassed by your bestowal of the knighthood!

      Thank you also for the reassurance that your wildlife survived the hurricane. I'm now a little less concerned for the wildlife in costa Rica which, we heard this morning, has just been badly hit, although I feel desperately sorry for the people there. Given that tourism is their major industry I fear it's going to prove to be a double-edged sword.

      With best wishes to you and Gini - - - WRichard

      Delete
    2. Ha. Looks like the news reader confused Puerto Rico with Costa Rica! - Unless I wasn't fully awake during the news!

      Delete
  4. Well done on every shot here, glad you saw the hoopoe, wonder if it was the one that was in our garden :-)
    That macro lens does an amazing job (or the man handling it does) but I guess you have to get closer with it. I looked at the sigma 50 500 today but there are a number of people who say about the weight as you did. Most of the creatures I photo do not wait around for me to use a tripod so maybe I need to think again.
    Wonderful, wonderful photos Richard well done.
    Best wishes and have a great week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. Thank you for those kind words.

      I'm actually not able to get as close to the subject with the macro lens as I can with the 50-500! It's something that I'm having to get used to, but the results should be better eventually.

      The only time I ever use a tripod is if I'm in my portable hide - and that only happens about once a year! These days, I only use lenses with Optical Stabilisation (OS) (Sometimes called Image Stabilisation (IS) or Vibration Reduction (VR)) which means I can take handheld shots with reasonable results. For macro work I have, however, now bought a new monopod which is small enough to fit in a bag or hang from my belt - but I have yet to use it!

      The week has not got off to a good start, I'm afraid, with noisy work going on at the front of the house next door, and work on four new houses on the land at the back of our house which started on Monday and had a major impact on our hedgehogs! Two massive diggers have been at work continually (I'm talking machines, not men, here!.Fingers are crossed that it will get better soon!

      With my very best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Building close by is always a nightmare and 'your' hedgehogs will not be at all happy. Hope things soon quieten down. I have only ever seen two hedgehogs here and that was before I was camera happy! Keep well Diane

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard,
    what am I supposed to say ... I am thrilled with the dragonfly photos, such a macro lens is already a great in itself .. then I look at all pictures and see a Hoopoe below. So I had not yet before the camera. Super Series Richard
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. It was extremely lucky for me to get to see that Hoopoe. It is only the third time I have ever seen one - the first time being in Spain. They don't show up very often in England, but I guess that might change with climate change!

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. The lens is wonderful but the operator deserves at least half of the credit. The bird is a magnificent find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about taking any credit for the photography, Adrian. Especially with handheld macro work I usually work in 'scattergun' mode, on the basis that if I take enough shots I might get one or two that are OK!

      As for that Hoopoe, apparently it had been around for a while but the news had been suppressed at the request of the local person that first spotted it. When it was found that it was spending time visible from the public highway, the silence was broken. One day I hope to make my own mega-find - but time is running out!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. I can well imagine that a Hoopoe in the UK would be an amazing sighting. I have seen this species many times, but it never ceases to astound and delight. I am hoping that they will still be around in Slovenia in a couple of weeks. Great photographs, Richard of the Hoopoe and the dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they had them in Slovenia, David. Having said that, I don't think I'd started birding when I last visited that country. I hope you are not too late for the Hoopoes - I think you're pushing your luck a bit with that one!

      I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come back with - and what I missed out on back then!

      Love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard! Wow what a bird !! I love them. Is it rare there? Still have dragonflies found? The autumn has not taken them away? No more visible here. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. The Hoopoe is described as a 'scarce migrant', so although not 'rare' there are probably 10 or more show up in UK each year now. I get the impression that sightings are increasing in number.

      We do still have dragonflies around, but not many. I was lucky to be able to photograph a Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) in our garden on Wednesday - and we don't have a pond!

      Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Stunning Richard, the Hoopoe and you, must have been quite something. And the dragonfly looking at you...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magical experience, Bob. Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard,
    Well what a great day you had!!
    You made the right choice and came back with a full basket of beautiful pictures! LOL!
    Congratulations, you handle this new macro lens at perfection, the kind of sharpness I get with it too although I didn't use it for 2 years!!
    The hoopoe is quite a catch especially since you don't get to see them often around your area.
    It is very light, I believe it to be a youngster.
    I am truly happy for you :))))
    Between you and me... yesterday was a fabulous evening, got great stag pictures!!!
    All the best, hugs to share with Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great day all round, Noushka.

      If I don't use that macro lens for two years I'll be in trouble with Lindsay!

      I commented at the time that the Hoopoe looked quite pale, and the general concesus amongst those there was that it was probably a young bird.

      I'm just going to go over to look at your latest blog post, and just about able to contain my excitement!! ;}

      Take good care, and enjoy the rest of your weekend - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. These photos are superb. What a blue eyes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sami. Those blue eyes are amazing!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. These are Top Notch Richard,amazing detail.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I am rsther pleased with that Sigma 150 macro!

      Best wishes to you and Sue - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Prachtige foto's van de juffers en de libellen,
    Mooie scherpte en geweldige heldere foto's.
    De Hop is een vogel die oiom hele graag eens zou fotograferen.

    Groetjes, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank u voor uw vriendelijke woorden, Helma. Ik hoop dat je snel een Hoopoe kunt fotograferen!

      Beste wensen - - Richard

      Delete
  14. I had to drop by again Richard to congratulate you on your excellent Hoopoe images,they are probably the best that I've seen,a very big well done.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John, for those very kind words. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  15. Hello Richard, Wonderful captures of the dragonflies and so crispy. But the Hoopoe however is for me the catch of the day. Must have been so thrilling for you to see this bird.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a very exciting day for me, Roos!

      It's good to have you back. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.