Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 16 October 2017

Launde - on 24th September, 2017

I'd decided to have a run out to the east of Leicestershire to see if I could find any Little Owls, as they have been worryingly thin on the ground lately. I didn't see any on my outward run so headed off to Launde Abbey to see if the small pond by the road junction held any dragonflies. 

To my surprise, there were more dragonflies there than I'd ever seen before, although they were all Common Darters. What is more, almost all of them were either engaged in mating or in ovipositing in tandem. 

Here are a couple of males that I found, which were not preoccupied with the mating process!


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Launde Abbey
Here are a couple of shots of mating pairs.


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (mating pair) - Launde Abbey
And here are some shots of these dragonflies ovipositing. They fly in tandem and the male positions the female so that she dips the end of her abdomen into the water to oviposit.

Hopefully, the last few images will give some idea of the orgiastic atmosphere of the situation!






Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (pair ovipositing) - Launde Abbey
There were times when I got four and five pairs in shot, but the focus on some of the pairs was way out.

I had limited time available here but, shortly after departing, I had a pleasant short session with a Red Kite.





Red Kite (Milvus milvus) - near Launde Abbey
Sadly, no owls were seen on the homeward run either.

I returned to Launde Abbey with Lindsay nine days later - we had a most enjoyable lunch there - and a very quick stop by the pond showed that the Common Darters were still at it! I hope this means a strong population next year - I understand that the larvae take just a year to develop.

Thank you for dropping by. I'm currently unsure what my next post will feature.

22 comments:

  1. What lovely set of photos showing them flying in tandem and ovipositing. I would be really pleased with them myself. As for the Red Kite, one of my favourite birds. Excellent photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc, for those kind words. It's always good to see a Red Kite - such graceful flyers! Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Awesome great bird! Have a good night;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It was a very windy night - not caused by anything I ate, but by the tail-end of Hurricane Ophelia! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Sorry that you did not get to see the owls but the red kite is beautiful. Wow, love is really in the air for the dragonflies and same amazing photos.
    Nigel came in from the garden yesterday saying he had just seen a huge dragonfly, it was gone almost before he saw it apparently so I had no chance :-( Sigh,
    Have a good week,best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you missed getting a shot of the dragonfly, Diane. You'll have tyo get Nigel to be a bit quicker next time!

      I hope that all is well with you, as there has been some strange weather lately. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. A productive day. I will have to get owling as I can hear them most evenings and nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing some owl photos from you, Adrian! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. One of my favourites, Red Kite, superb. Well shot in flight, cheers Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. They are really magnificent to watch when in flight. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. I had a few new'ish sites this summer yet have failed to connect again with the LO's since August.
    You can't beat Red Kites, seriously love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Owl situation is absolutely dire at my old sites, Doug, and I confess to not having seen a Little Owl since 18th August. I'm hoping to find the time soon to start looking for owls again in earnest. I have been a bit distracted by other things of late.

      It's always exciting to watch a Red Kite - fabulous birds!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Lovely post again Richard and great to see you take time to observe even the most common of dragons!
    On picture n°5 the male is quite immature, nevertheless ready to breed!!
    My, your latest comment is right on the spot although I began this journey a long time ago since my mom's death in 71. But my ordeal in 2015 increased many folds this thirst of enquiring about the (holographic) universe and its dimensions we live in. I am hoping the answers I am getting are right, that not all is lost and that we will be reunited with our loved ones in a different dimension after our earthly experience.
    My best wishes and warm hugs to share with Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noushka. It was such a spectacle with this mass mating and ovipositing taking place, that I couldn't help but be enthralled. I had noticed that male in No.5 and was quite surprised.

      I hope I didn't stir things up too much with my comment, but 2015 was in my mind as I read your post.

      Take good care. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    fascinating pictures, the dragonflies first-class sharp and with very beautiful light and then the red kite, where you can see very nice details
    super beautiful photographed
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank, for your kind words. It was a very enjoyable day, even if I didn't see any owls! With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. The Red Kite flight shots are superb, Richard. You have really captured the essence of their grace in the sky. We arrived back home last evening. Today will be a day of shopping, laundry etc. and tomorrow it's back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. It's good to see you back. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Slovenia and Croatia blog posts.

      Red Kites have to be amongst the most graceful of flyers - always a delight to watch!

      My love to you both - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous and sharp pictures of the dragonfly and the pairings.
    Really great to see and a compliment for these footgraphs.
    The red cloak is jealous. Beautiful robber in flight.
    Fantastic blog.

    Best regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma, for your kind words. Seeing a Red Kite in flight is a joyful experience.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hello Richard, what amazing captures of the dragonflies. But The Red Kite is the topper for me. Amzing birds and amzing captures! Regards, Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. I had an interesting time with the dragonflies, and the Red Kite afterwards was the icing on the cake! I was sad that I didn't see any owls, however.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.