Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 26 January 2018

Oakthorpe Colliery - on 16th January, 2018

For various reasons, I've done virtually no birdwatching for the past couple of weeks, other than observe the birds in my garden during foul weather. However, I thought I'd better do a blog post, just 'to keep the pot boiling'. So here goes -

Approximately 1 mile (1.5 km) from my home is the site of the old Oakthorpe Colliery. This has been transformed into something of a wildlife haven, although I was concerned recently that people were shooting next to the car park. Up until very recently there have been bird feeding stations at each end of the car park. However, I found when I visited on 16th January that the station at the north end of the car park had been dismantled and a new station installed only a few metres from the station in the south-west corner of the car park. I'm not sure of the reason for this move, but it seems to have had an effect on what species are visiting the feeders. 

I had to bide my time for a while in a rather awkward position for photography as a car had parked right beside the new feeding station and the occupants gone off for a walk. After about an hour they returned and departed in their car and I was able to move my car, which I used as a hide, into a more favourable position. 

In its previous position, the feeding station used to regularly attract Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker,  Nuthatch, and the occasional Willow Tit (a bit scarce in these parts these days). However, on this occasion, the first three of these species only made nervous approaches without stopping to feed, and Willow Tit was not seen at all. Hopefully this will change when the birds get used to the new set-up.

It was good to see a Yellowhammer approach the feeders, although it didn't stop to feed. This used to be a regular at this site in winter, although I hadn't seen one here for some time and wondered if they'd gone.

The weather and light were not great, but here are some images from that session. I hope you like Tits!




Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Oakthorpe Colliery

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - Oakthorpe Colliery


Great Tit (Parus major) - Oakthorpe Colliery

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - Oakthorpe Colliery
The Woodpecker stayed well-hidden. I think that it realised I was there!

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - Oakthorpe Colliery
 Sadly, the Yellowhammer stayed distant and partly obscured by a branch, but I was pleased to get any sort of shot of this bird.



Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) (male) - Oakthorpe Colliery
I know that some birders are not too fond of Grey Squirrels, but I consider them to be charming creatures - it's not their fault that someone decided to introduce them into UK!



Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - Oakthorpe Colliery
 
2018, Week 03 - 15th to 21st January
Garden List - Week 03 - 15/01/2018 to 21/01/2018 

It was a quite interesting week in the garden, no doubt helped by the fall of snow we had. The total number of species setting foot down increased from the 22 of the previous two weeks and reached 24 species.

Jackdaw put in a brief appearance once again, and I just managed to spot a Redwing in our Rowan before it departed. A male Siskin has also been visiting on some days - I hope that he attracts a female!

The male Sparrowhawk has started making a nuisance of himself again. He's not catching much at all, but causing the birds to flee in panic, sometimes flying into the window glass. Usually I manage to rescue them, but I did have a male Chaffinch break its neck today.

In a few days time I shall be away in Scotland (a solo visit) for a week , so I am not sure what or when my next post will be.



26 comments:

  1. A quality set of images there Richard. How I wish I had Bullfinch visit my garden. Now you are a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. We're doing much better than usual for garden Bullfinch at the moment. Had 6 on Wednesday - 3 male and 3 female, so very lucky indeed!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Great shots as always. It's good to be reminded to photograph the common birds. I have always liked Chaffinch but they are ignored due to their numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think Chaffinch are delightful birds. We always see a lot more of them in the garden in winter and, if we are lucky, they bring a Brambling or two with them - not been so lucky so far this winter, however.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Just wonderful pictures! yellowhammer come to us in the yard to eat oats. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. You are very lucky that you have Yellowhammer coming to your yard. I get the feeling that Yellowhammer are not doing so well in my area. I used to see lots of them locally, but do not see them often at all now.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Perfect shots of birds and Squirrel, excellent Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, for your kind words. With my best wishes - - - Richard.

      Delete
  5. Wow!!! Una colección de fotos magnífica, son todas de una calidad extraordinaria. Enhorabuena Richard, un abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por esas amables palabras, Germán. Con mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Great series of tits, Richard, and how can anyone take issue with that? But the shots of the Yellowhammer take the prize for me. From everything I read this species is in steep decline, so any sighting is welcome news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David. That Yellowhammer was certainly the most exciting part of the session. It's always a treat to see a Yellowhammer.

      Will probably not be able to visit your blog for a week as I'm off to Scotland in a few minutes. My love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos Richard. We get the Blue tit, Great tit and Woodpecker in our garden, but I never see the others.
    Have a great trip in Scotland, hope you see lots of interesting birds and insects to photograph. Take care and travel safely. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and wishes, Diane. It looks as if it is set to be rather windy, a bit wet, but not too cold. Not ideal conditions for birds, and definitely not ideal for insects! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however!

      Take good care. With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, so nice you get to get all those birds in your garden. The Coal Tit is lovely I do not see them much overhere. The Yellowhammer is also a lovely bird and those I do hear and see regularly in summer. And as I read you also have this grey dull and wet weather.
    Lets hope the sun will show itself more freaquently.
    Hope your week in Scotland will be succesful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Roos. Thank you for your kind words. I'm back from Scotland now. I had a very enjoyable time there but the biggest problem was the strong wind. It made photographing birds very difficult.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard,
    that's fun to watch .. in such detail shots
    the spring can come
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Frank. Yes, I'm looking forward to spring too, but I'm hoping that winter still has some more excitement in store for us. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Never really thought about Yellowhammers visiting bird feeders (or food under feeders). Great pictures as usual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug. In these parts, we do occasionally see Yellowhammer under feeders in rural locations. I more often see them, however, on hedgerows on my 'local patch', although much less frequently than I used to. Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Cars do make for good hides. I really like the GSW shot - different to most you see.

    Cheers - Stewart M - (back in) Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart. Thank you for your visit. The GSW shot may be unusual, but I too rather liked it as it portrays the most usual view I get of a GSW when out in woodland!

      Best wishes from UK - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. I love all the little perching birds, but can't often get pictures because I am slow on focusing ... and they flit so fast. I'm envious of your beautiful portraits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little birds are quite challenging to photograph, Sallie, as they keep flitting about. I often find that I have to take a break from photographing and just stand and watch as my arms are aching! Thank you for your visit. With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Great Garden Bird captures Richard,your Yellowhammers are Magic.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. Just to clarify any possible misunderstanding, those photos were taken in a wooded area near my home, not in my garden. The bit at the end of the post with my weekly garden observations was, perhaps, a bit of a red herring!

      With my best wishes to you and Sue - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.