Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 13 January 2019

A Fine Day - on 8th January, 2019

It had seemed like we had been having day after day of exceedingly dull, and rather windy weather for ages when, suddenly, a fine day had been forecast. It was an opportunity not to be missed and, for the first time in weeks, I decided it was time to take a day out birdwatching, rather than a quick visit somewhere. My biggest dilemma, however, was in deciding where to go. Three potential objectives were in prospect:- the Jack Snipe that was being seen from time to time from Crake Hide at Rutland Water; the somewhat nearer Waxwings that were being seen in Loughborough; the female Merlin that was regularly being seen near Ellistown - which is even closer to home.

Late the previous evening, a message was posted that the Waxwings had been seen departing high. The decision was made - I'd try and find the Merlin, then head over to Rutland Water to try and find the Jack Snipe, having my picnic lunch on arrival at Rutland Water. The scene was set - and then torn down again - a Reed Bunting appeared in our garden! A Reed Bunting is not a rare bird, but it is extremely uncommon in our small suburban garden. Without consulting my records, I can't recall one visiting in 2018. I had to try and get some photos!



Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - our garden, Ashby de la Zouch
While I was busy with the Reed Bunting, a message came through that the Waxwings were again in Loughborough. I was already running very late on my original plan, so switched objectives into a visit to Loughborough on my way to Rutland Water. However, I didn't get away from home until 10h30.

I arrived at the spot in Loughborough to find half a dozen other birders/photographers there watching the two Waxwings in a nearby tree and waiting for them to come down to a much nearer berry-laden tree where they had been feeding. I was told that the birds were being very uncooperative as they were landing in the far side of the tree to feed, making photography very difficult. Going round to the far side of the tree wasn't an option for photography as it would have been shooting straight into a low, but very bright, sun.

I limited myself to half an hour here, on the basis that, although the Waxwing is an exciting occasional visitor, I'd had far fewer sightings of Jack Snipe in my life! I did, however, get a few shots of these birds - although far from satisfying from a photographic point of view. Because of deep shadows, I've had to do a fair amount of manipulation of the shots taken when they were in the feed tree. I was, however, pleased to get the first image, below, with the berry (almost) in the bill and showing the shape of the bird's tongue - even though the light is terrible.







Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) - Loughborough
I left the scene a few minutes after mid-day, when the birds flew up high into a distant tree, and set off towards Rutland Water, rejoining my usual route there at around the half-way point.

Running late on my original plan, I decided to have my picnic at my favoured spot on this route, which overlooks my Little Owl Site No.34. I was excited, on arrival, to see an owl in the entrance to the original nest cavity. This is the first time I've seen this cavity used by an owl since May, 2017!

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my LO Site No.34
I didn't spend long over my lunch, and soon headed off to Rutland Water, where I went directly to Crake Hide. A few hundred metres from the hide, I met a lady coming in the opposite direction who told me that the Jack Snipe had been showing superbly until about 20 minutes ago, but had then disappeared into the reeds!

I arrived at Crake Hide, where three gentlemen were present who had each arrived before the lady had left, but after the Jack Snipe had departed. There was virtually nothing visible from the hide, until a drake Teal arrived with an entourage of approximately 15 females (I didn't count them, but I did wonder what the drake's secret was!).

Teal (Anas crecca) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I probably spent around a couple of hours in Crake Hide. During this time there were distant glimpses of Great Egret in flight, and partial views of Marsh Harrier flying behind the trees However, it was clouding over and the light was going off the area in front of the hide, so it was time to look in other areas.

A visit to Shoveler hide revealed a Little Egret approximately 100 metres away.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I sat watching an altercation between two Great Egrets over 400 metres away, which ended up with them chasing across in front of me, still at a great distance.

Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I see that the scientific name for this species is variously stated as Ardea alba or Casmerodius albus - or even Egretta alba! Ardea alba seems to be the most used, however.

Shortly after this interaction, a Great Egret flew back from the direction that the two birds had departed to. This time it was significantly nearer. Because of relatively low light conditions, my settings were not suitable for flight shots, but I did manage to salvage a few.



Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
It was, perhaps, to my advantage that the sun was no longer shining, as I managed to avoid 'burn out' on the white plumage of the egrets on all the shots I took. The disadvantage, of course, was lower shutter speeds. 

Having landed behind the Little Egret, the Great Egret approached the Little Egret, allowing a size comparison shot.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) + Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Both birds then waded to an area a little nearer to my position (I measured them at approximately 80 metres distant on Google Earth). 

This next image is not one of my best from the session, but I hope it illustrates why I think of Great Egret as the 'Giraffe' of the bird kingdom.

Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I then had a veritable feast of watching these two birds in action, and the Great Egret was doing particularly well in catching fish! There now follows a rather indulgent collection of images!

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) + Great Egret (Ardea alba) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve











Eventually the light became hopeless, and I was already going to be home for dinner much later than I'd told Lindsay I'd be back, so I set off back to the car park, where I phoned to update Lindsay and apologise - "no problem" she said (she's wonderful like that!).

It was fully dark for my run home of about an hour and a half, and nothing of interest was caught in my headlights.

The day hadn't worked out exactly as hoped for, but it had been a fine day - in fact, it had been a VERY fine day!


Unless something crops up in the interim, I suspect that my next post might feature a few garden birds, and maybe some other wildlife too.

Thank you for dropping by - and as it's my first post of 2019, my best wishes to you all for a sparklingly wonderful year!


28 comments:

  1. A lovely post to start the year off on. Always great to see some Waxwings. Kent seems to be missing them so far with only the odd one being seen. Cracking Great White Egret shots and a nice comparison with the Little Egrets. Hopefully the weather will improve soon. Roll on the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I'm sorry to hear that Waxwings are a little sporadic down in your parts this winter. We are getting a few sightings in Leicestershire and surroundings, but I'm not aware of large numbers of them anywhere - seems to be just thee odd one or two here and there, with the highest number I've heard of being seven.

      Last year I remember saying that soon Great Egrets will be as common as Little Egrets - I think that it has already happened!!

      Fingers crossed for the weather. I'm already making plans for dragon hunts!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Love the little Reed Bunting, now if I had seen that in our garden, I would have probably registered it as and LJB, I now know to look closer! The Waxwings are great, I think I might have managed an ID there. So pleased you saw a Little Owl, always a delight to not only see, but to get a photo of as well. That male Teal is just greedy.😁 I really like the large and the small of the Egrets together, a great comparison and such magical fishermen/women!!!!!
    Hope things are going better for you that they are for us!! Take care and best wishes, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you are still enduring FiL problems, Diane. I can understand how difficult and frustrating it must be for you, particularly when you get laid low by a bug. If my memory serves me well (which, usually, it doesn't these days!) you have still got another month or so to go. I shall be thinking of you both, and keeping my fingers crossed. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. As usual a wonderful post and I was delighted to see the Waxwings so far I have seen none this year and only very few seen. Great to see both the Little and Great Egret fishing together. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. There have been a few sightings of Waxwings this year in these parts, but the numbers are quite low. We dont seem to be getting flocks of a dozen or more that we've had in some years.

      It was a real treat to the the Little and Great Egrets together. I suspect that, with the large increase in numbers of Great Egret around, this sight will become more commonplace.

      Have a wonderful week. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Little wonder you don't have time for 3D. Great shots. I would never have either the skill or patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the skill, Adrian, but I do have the patience (or is it just that I'm too lazy to move on!). It helps when one no longer needs to work for a living - gives far more time to waste in entertaining ways!

      Delete
  5. Now you've gone and done it. For your first post of the New Year, you have set the bar quite high. We shall all now expect such near perfection for the remainder of the year! (Of course, with your talent, it won't take much of an effort.)

    A very nice series, Richard! For me, any photo of a Waxwing would be exciting! We only see them during migration here and they don't stay long before heading for South America. Your "indulgent" series of the egrets is a delight. Watching two such expert anglers in close proximity is what I call a special day!

    And sharing a lunch spot with an owl. If I didn't know better, I might think you were just showing off.

    Thank you so very much for sharing your very good day! It makes me itch to get outside, which I will be doing first thing in the morning!

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are enjoying the New Year and a brand new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wally! If you think the bar is high, I think you might be looking through the wrong end of your binoculars! ;-}

      I guess that the Waxwings you see from time to time in Florida will be Cedar Waxwings, whereas ours, in American parlance, are Bohemian Waxings. Did you see the Bohemians when you lived in Germany? I believe Bohemians are seen in North America but just in the north of the continent?

      The egrets went a long way towards dispelling the disappointment of not seeing the Jack Snipe!

      Call me daft, if you like, but the real highlight for me was seeing the owl. Not a rarity by any means, but it stirred up the greatest emotions of the day.

      Thank you for your kind wishes. The way things stand at the moment, we need them. We are, we hope, nearing the end of a two year battle to get an education for our autistic granddaughter - if her brilliance is nurtured we believe her ability could be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

      May the rest of your week be filled with wildlife and love - - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard! Fantastic birds and pictures! Hopefully the spring will soon come here to see the birds again;-) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I too hope that your spring will come soon. I'm not sure that I could live with all that snow and ice that you get in your long winter! Best wishes, and keep warm - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Oh my word, you caught the Waxwings, I thought they weren't coming this year. And the Reed Bunting, Little and Great Egrets, wow, what a treat you have seen. Beautiful photographed Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. There are a few Waxwings around in the Midlands at the moment, but not many! That day was a very enjoyable one. I hope your cold is better soon - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. To reinforce your comments above to Wally, any waxwings he would see in Florida are Cedar waxwings. This is not a migratory species and they would be resident birds there. They are even residents here and survive our winters without difficulty. As for you sightings for the day, I can well understand that the owl triggered the most emotion. After all you have a long and close history with these little gems. But the Reed Bunting in the back yard wasn't too bad was it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that clarification on the Waxwings, David. I'm delighted to report that the Reed Bunting has continued to be with us on a 'several times a day' basis - we even had two of them one day! I don't know how long it will last however - better try and get some more photos while the going is good!

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard,
    Wow, your Waxwings are fabulous!
    No chance here in the south of France for me...
    Great also to see an LO in this nesting site, I hope you will see many more and bring us great pics them this season!
    Keep well my friend, and my hugs with Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carine. It's strange that the Bohemian Waxwing avoids your area, but can be found in some winters in areas in more southern latitudes to you if you travel east..

      It's quite sad that I very rarely see a Little Owl these days, although I did see that same owl again yesterday. They have gone through a very bad patch these past few years, and I'm hoping that conditions will improve and they make a recovery. As well as climate change, there seems to be a great loss in potential nest sites, and an increase in predation. However, I am sure that a major factor is farming practices which are leading to a catastrophic fall in numbers of invertebrates. It's a very worrying situation.

      Take good care and keep well and warm - - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thank you Richard for your explanations.
      I fee really sorry about the brexit, many English citizens like you must feel at a loss.
      How can our leaders be so stupid? Europe was a good idea and it should have remained as 12 countries, but since they accepted so many other countries with their own agendas, the situation has become unmanageable.
      All the best and enjoy your sunday

      Delete
    3. I think that you're absolutely right, Carine.

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard, Waxwings wow great you could see them and the captures are most wonderful and luckely you had Sunshine as well. Wonderful as well that you saw the Great Egret together with the Small Egret. Somthing that is not often seen. The Reedbunting in your garden is amazing. You had indeed a great day also because you saw a LO.
    All the best and regards from Belgium,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind words, Roos. I had a very enjoyable day, and getting some passable photos was a real bonus. However, I will need to work hard on my photographic techniques to match the kind of results that you show in your recent post on the Peregrine Falcons. Exquisite!

      Take good care. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard,
    this is really a beautiful series with variety of birds :-)
    The reed bunting is always beautiful to see. I only see this little shy bird in the spring.
    Your series of the egret is really cool! Really great to see the little and the great egret standing next to each other :-))) Lovely to see. Your little owl is fantastically so in that tree and I'm a bit jealous of that.
    The teal is beautiful and I hope to see this week too. The plague bird is amazing. Wonderful series. I enjoyed tremendously.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind words, Helma. I was quite lucky that day. I am amused by your name for the Waxwing being Plague Bird.

      Take good care and keep warm - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard,
    the heron with its head in the water and then with the fish .. because you have found the right moment to trigger ..
    the little owl had surely been waiting for you the way he looks at you
    very nice pictures Richard thanks for pointing
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I'm delighted that you enjoyed this post. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Unas fotos espectaculares de la gran garza blanca, y que suerte poder fotografiar al Bombycilla garrulus, un ave que solo se ha dejado ver en el norte de España en contadas ocasiones. Gran reportaje, me ha gustado mucho. Enhorabuena Richard, un abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias, Germán! ¡Me encantaría cambiar una Bombycilla garrulus por una de tu Salamandra salamandra! Mis mejores deseos de un frío Inglaterra gris - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.