Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 19 February 2019

The Draw of a Firecrest - on 28th January, 2019

I have recently been away from home for a week, visiting Speyside in Scotland. The following is a post I prepared before I departed, fully expecting to be overloaded with photo processing after my return.

It seemed that I had only been getting out birdwatching approximately once a week, and I was starting to get stir-crazy. On this day, prompted by the sighting of a Firecrest, I reckoned that it was time to go somewhere I'd not been for many years, and that was Attenborough Nature Reserve, near Nottingham (yes, the Nottingham of Robin Hood fame). This is only about half an hour from my home and, as I had things to do in the morning, I departed after an early lunch.

I expected it to be relatively quiet on a Monday, but arrived to find that the main car park was very tight for space and the overflow car park was full! I managed, however, to find a spot in an unofficial lay-by beside the access road.

My first job was to try and find the Firecrest. It had been reported as being in bushes by the approach road, just before the level crossing. I spent probably around 20 minutes looking, but there was no sign of it visually or, more importantly, audibly. I then went into the nature reserve.

Fortunately, the place was not as crowded as I thought it might be. I first made my way towards the Tower Hide, checking my camera settings by shooting a Dunnock beside the main path.

Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Attenborough NR
Shortly after turning off the main path, towards Tower Hide, I stopped to photograph a couple of Egyptian Geese. Although these are now very common birds in these parts, it was here that I saw my first ever Egyptian Geese on 1st January, 2006, at the start of my birdwatching interest.

Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiaca) - Attenborough NR
Just before reaching the hide, three Robins were vying for my attention, perching on three consecutive fence posts. Here's one.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Attenborough Nature Reserve
I spent around 20 minutes in the hide, with nothing showing close enough for photography, and not much of interest showing at all. I then set off with the intention of visiting as much of the reserve as possible, primarily to get a feel for the place for future visits, rather than taking time to observe the birds.

It was a brightly sunny day, with low winter sun by the time I left the hide at around 14h00. As much of the water that I passed was of small areas surrounded by trees, the light for photography was quite challenging at times, and the results are not my best.

A distant Shoveler was in open water.

Shoveler (Anas clypeata) (male) - Attenborough NR
Sadly, I burned out the white on this Great Crested Grebe, otherwise it might have made a reasonable shot. I include it, however, because of the eye, shining like a jewel.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Attenborough NR
The real stars for me, however, were the Goosander. I saw one at a great distance soon after leaving the hide, but then I found that I was seeing them on almost every bit of water I came to. The drake Goosander is often said to have a green sheen to its 'black' head plumage when seen in the right light. I have never seen a purple sheen like that on the first drake I photographed.


Goosander (Mergus merganser) (male) - Attenborough NR
There is no colour sheen visible on the heads of the drakes in these next three images. However, winter sun on rippling water gives some delightful effects.



Goosander (Mergus merganser) - Attenborough NR
The sheen is visible on these next images, as is (sadly) the burn-out on the whites!


Goosander (Mergus merganser) (male) - Attenborough NR
I suddenly realised that I was at the furthest point of the reserve, it was 15h30, and my car was parked on the wrong side of the gate which would be locked at 17h00. This might not sound too bad, but I was 2 km from my car as the crow flies, and twice that distance on the path I would take. I had to hurry!

Just before reaching my car I met a person coming in the opposite direction. He'd just seen the Firecrest in the area that I'd been scanning earlier. He warned me, however, that views were difficult as viewing was straight into the setting sun. I quickly moved my car to the overflow car park which is outside the gates and set off to try and find the Firecrest.

It didn't take long to find it, as it was calling continually but, to my great disappointment, my camera chose this to be the time to fail. It's a problem that hits me every two or three months, and it's an electrical disconnect between the camera body and the lens. The solution is to dismount the lens and work the connection pins (cleaning the contacts at the same time). In the circumstances, it was difficult enough to get a bead on the bird, but the difficulty was compounded by the fact that only about one in twenty presses of the shutter button actually did anything. Add that to shooting straight into the sun. and I was not expecting to have anything at all when I came to examine what I'd taken.

When I came to load my shots onto the computer, I found that around half the shutter actuations hadn't opened the iris, so the shots were virtually black, but I did have just one shot that, although awful, will just about pass as a record shot!

Firecrest (Regulus ignicapilla) - by Attenborough NR
After a quick call to Lindsay to say I was going to be later home than expected (again!), I set off homeward, happy in the knowledge that I had, at least, seen a Firecrest for the first time in several years, even if the photographic opportunites that afternoon were below par. 

For the past few months I've been wearing one of these wrist devices, akin to a 'fit bit'. I have been trying to raise my fitness by increasing the amount I walk. For example, if I have not got a lot of heavy shopping to carry, I tend to walk into town, rather than drive. On this day, I noted that I'd walked just over 10.4 km (approximately 6½ miles) at Attenborough NR - my longest walk since getting the device. My total for the day was just over 13.0 km (8 miles). I realise that, for many, this may sound like a trivial distance, but I'm pleased to have done it.

I am not sure what my next post will feature, but there could be some snow in there somewhere!

Thank you for dropping by.

20 comments:

  1. Hardly a trivial distance, Richard, and by walking to do the shopping you are helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions too. I know it sounds trite, but every little helps, and if only more people would start to do the same it would make an appreciable difference. I don't have one of those devices but my knees are pretty reliable in letting me know when I have gone more than about 8 km! The other day, when walking to a local store (about 20 min each way) I saw a Cooper's Hawk in a tree that I certainly would have missed had I taken the car. Keep on doing it I say, and good for you. I will look forward to reading about your Speyside adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, my walk into town is rather urban, David, and so far I've seen nothing of interest - nothing I'd admit to, anyway! It's heartening that sometimes total strangers will say hello.
      I'm not used to that away from the countryside. It might take a while to sort out the Speyside photos, but it will probably be my next post in about a week.

      Delete
  2. Well done with the Firecrest on the end. Love that purple sheen on the Goosander's head. That's a new one on me. Top photos as usual Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I was surprised by that purple sheen - must investigate!

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard
    The best of them are beautiful, and I love the Goosanders, they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I too am rather fond of Goosanders. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. All the walking was not in vain some beautiful shots as is to be expected from you.
    The Firecrest is a bonus. I never see them here but some summers there are Goldcrest. \i suspect the latter are common. Small and common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. Goldcrest are not rare, but not exactly common either. They can be difficult to spot as they skulk in bushes, and are most easily detected by their constant calling. I probably only get two or three sightings a year.

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Egyptian goose is an interesting looking bird. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. The Egyptian Goose is becoming a nuisance in this region. It is one of the first birds to nest, and we have problems with them trying to take over the nests of Ospreys! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, amazing captures of the Goosanders, a bird we do have here but more to the coast. Good you managed in the end to capture the Firecrest. A bird so fast but so beautyful that it is a chalenge to get a decent picture of it. I like the Dunock as well.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Firecrest is a difficult bird to find here, Roos, and, I agree, a difficult bird to photograph, especially when the sun is in the wrong direction!

      I usually see Goosander on inland rivers and lakes in UK, and it's Red-breasted Mergansers that I see more from the coast.

      Take good care, and have a great weekend - I hope you are getting warm weather as we are - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Que suerte tener a todas esas especies cerca de tu casa y poder hacer esas fotos tan buenas. Extraordinario reportaje, la foto de cabecera del blog es una maravilla. Enhorabuena Richard, un abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Saludos, Germán! Tengo mucha suerte de vivir en un área relativamente interesante para la vida silvestre. ¡Ojalá el clima fuera más confiable! Sin embargo, no debo quejarme, ya que es bastante cálido y seco en este momento. Con mis mejores deseos de un país que está a punto de ser arrojado a la deriva a la oscuridad - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard,
    you have succeeded very nice pictures, you look at like ... I have with the little birds not so lucky ..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. Yes, the little birds can be difficult subjects sometimes! My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Richard I love your photos and I can see nothing wrong with the Grebe at all!! Ok, so the Firecrest is not quite what you hoped, but it is a record of having seen it, I have a few records that are not as good as that!!

    The weather here has been amazing with temperatues going up to 20C. I have got far behind with blogging as the garden is coming first at the moment.

    Have a good week, best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diane. My main problem with the grebe image was that the detail on the feathering at the back of the neck was burned out to plain white.

      We haven't quite got up to 20°C, but been close. Went to Scotland with all the snow gear earlier this month, and the temperature didn't drop below double figures!

      With my very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard,
    I'm not gone but I'm busy moving my daughter to another house in a different place (but nice and close to us).

    Exciting that you could see the firegold rooster and also could photograph :-)
    I really appreciate your photos of the birds in this post. I fell in love with the robin 💖 Schitternede photo. The hedge sparrow, the Egyptian geese, the great crested grebe, the shoveler are also very happy. Your big man-and-woman cut-out basin is fantastic. I would have liked to make these photos myself :-))) My compliments.

    Enjoy the weekend.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Helma. I'm still, however, trying to work out what a "big man-and-woman cut-out basin" is! Have a great week ahead and take good care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.