Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 16 August 2019

Heather Lake - on 18th June, 2019

Not having been out for a while, my blog, over the next few weeks, will be be visiting some of my excursions from earlier in the year.

The dragonfly season got off to a relatively late start in this region. A visit to Heather Lake at the beginning of June just turned up a few damselflies and was not worth reporting on. This day was a little better, and gave me my first local dragonfly of the year.

The walk from my car to the lake passed through two wooded areas. Speckled Wood butterflies were around. 

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - on walk to Heather Lake
Once at the lake, I was disappointed to see relatively few damselflies around. Those present were, primarily, Common Blue Damselfly, with very few Azure Damselflies seen (and none successfully photographed). I didn't do well with the Common Blues, but here are a few for the sake of completion.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (teneral female) - Heather Lake

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Heather Lake
I was half way round the lake and had not spotted a single dragonfly when I noticed a Four-spotted Chaser low down in long grass, and clearly in trouble. I investigated and found that it was missing its right fore-wing. I also noticed that it was the first time I'd seen f. praenubila of this species, with extended dark markings on the wing tips. I moved it out of the damp grass and onto something more substantial where it would be dry. It did not however look good when I returned half an hour later, and was back, low-down in the vegetation.


Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata f. praenubila) (damaged male) - Heather Lake
There were a number of other insects that I found interesting, although I do not know much about them so my identification might be awry - please let me know if/when you spot mistakes!

One fly, in particular I found fascinating as it was brilliant green. I'd not seen one before but, apparently, they are quite common. It was, however, difficult to photograph as it always landed low down in the grass.

Sawfly (Rhogogaster sp.) - Heather Lake
Lacewing (Chrysoperla carnea) - Heather Lake
Sawfly (Tenthrodo sp.) - Heather Lake
Moths were represented by one caterpillar and one adult micromoth.

Vapourer (Orgyia antigua) (larva) - Heather Lake
(Agapeta hamana) - Heather Lake
I couldn't resist a shot of one of nature's perfections - a seed head. I have no idea what the plant was!

Seed head - Heather Lake
It had started to rain, so I headed for home, with a pleasant surprise as I made my way through one of the wooded sections - a fox was briefly on the path ahead of me. I made a mess of the photo in the poor light and in my haste, but here it is anyway.

Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) - near Heather Lake
It hadn't been the most successful of visits, but I did find it interesting and rewarding.


Thank you for dropping by. I'm not sure what my next post will feature, but I expect it to be relatively short and have dragonfly content again.

20 comments:

  1. Nice to see you still blogging Richard and about dragonflies and damselflies too. Some quality shots there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc - I just wish I wasn't having to rely on material from earlier in the year. Still scratching my head as to where I might go for a photo session without too much effort!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy seeing a fox! It seems to me, Richard, that dragonflies are among the most frustrating subjects to photograph. There is an abundance here right now but getting them to land, and then In a position unimpeded by vegetation, and close enough, seems at times to be well nigh impossible. But you obtained some remarkable shots. If patience is a virtue then you are indeed virtuous! Good to see you back at work on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, David - it's always exciting to see a fox. However, I rarely manage to photograph one successfully. Yes, dragonflies can be very difficult to photograph well, and my results are quite poor compared to those of some - Marc, above, for example. The approach is somewhat different to that for birds. For dragonflies, I go for the direct approach, but very slowly with minimal body movement. I am, however, a man of relatively infinite patience in the field - it's usually stamina, or my bladder, that lets me down!

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard, these are amazing close-up photos sharp and wonderful details of the insects. Love the Fox always nice to have a surprise meeting in nature.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprises are, for me, one of the most exciting aspects of observing nature, Roos. I think it might get boring if you always knew what you were going to see if you went anywhere! Although I very much enjoyed photographing the insects, the Fox was the highlight of the session for me - I just wish I'd managed a better photo! My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Your photography is amazing Richard. Love the fox that has just spied you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very kind words which I'm sure I don't deserve, Margaret, but thank you anyway! I'm not sure who was most surprised - me or the fox. I wish it had hung around for a bit longer, however. My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Wonderful wildlife sightings;-) Hope you are OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. I'm not doing too badly, thank you. I had a check-up on Wednesday and the consultant said I was making good progress. I'm just having to take it easy for a while. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard
    Beautiful array of great things, The Dragonflies are superb, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I'm disappointed to be missing the tail-end of the dragonfly season at the moment. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Another tour de force Richard. I particularly enjoyed the first Sawfly. I hope your recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. I'm not doing too badly at the moment. I feel well enough, although severely lacking in stamina, but the dull pains in my chest are keeping me awake at night. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos of the insects, butterflies and red fox. The red fox is my favorite. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline - the Red Fox was a highlight of the visit for me! With my best wishes to you for the week ahead - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. What a tease you are! "Oh, I didn't get anything but really poor photographs of Common Blues and really shouldn't even show them in public but here they are anyhow even if they are terrible."

    And then you proceed to amaze us with fabulous images anyone would be proud to emulate. Not content to present technically proficient photos, you even show off by flaunting THREE damselflies in ONE shot!

    The finishing touch, a wild fox digitally captured right in front of you! Sigh. We should be so lucky.

    Seriously, Richard, a simply wonderful post that I savored greedily.

    Feel better!

    (Sorry for the late response. I'm just lazy.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Common Blue Damselflies are often found in large numbers at some locations, Wally, and this is one of them. Here there are relatively few sticks for them to perch on so there are often several on one stick. Add a bit of a breeze as there was this day, and they orientate themselves in one direction - hey presto!

      I don't often meet up with a Fox, but when I do it's always a thrill.

      Thank you for your words of encouragement!

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard,
    I also see a few beautiful natural pearls in this blog. Various damselflies, dragonflies, but also moths. Your openigs photo of the butterfly is really beautiful and sharp.
    I love these creatures :-)

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma. I'm delighted that you have enjoyed my photos. My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.