Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 10 November 2019

A Short Visit to Hicks Lodge - on 29th October, 2019

My last blog post concerned a visit to Rutland Water on 10th October. Sadly, I'd been a bit too enthusiastic about my recovery from my earlier ills, and had overdone the physical exercise somewhat, resulting in me feeling almost as uncomfortable as I did when I left hospital at the end of July. This, to use a good old English expression, put the wind up me more than just a little, particularly when, on my wife Lindsay's recommendation, I read an article which stated that the condition for which I'd been hospitalised had a 15% mortality rate! I have, therefore, been taking it easy.

However, on 29th October I felt sufficiently recovered to have my first trip out for nearly three weeks. My chosen venue was Hicks Lodge, which is only a couple of miles (approximately 3 km) from my home.

I parked in the Oakthorpe Colliery car park, where there are bird feeders. However, these were empty when I arrived so I put out some bird seed and some peanuts, and sat and waited for quarter of an hour. The only thing to arrive was a Grey Squirrel, so I set off on foot to Hicks Lodge. 

About ten minutes into my walk I glimpsed a distant, but colourful, pair of birds flying in front of the new woodland area. I tried for a few shots, but failed. Fortunately, however, they turned and flew over the path, very much closer to me. I don't recall seeing Egyptian Geese before at Hicks Lodge.

I have always considered Egyptian Geese to be ugly, and a nuisance as they usually start breeding early in the year, often taking over the nests of other birds that have not yet returned to breed. This has been a problem at Rutland Water, where they occupy the Osprey nests.  On this occasion, however, I was struck by how splendid they looked in flight.


Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiaca) - Hicks Lodge
Further along the path, to the west I could see the usual flock of white domestic geese on the lake. A bit further on, in a meadow, there was a mixed flock of Canada Geese and Greylag Geese. I was pleased to see that the Bar-headed Goose was still with them. I guess this bird has to have been an escapee at some time, but I think it has been on this site for over a year now.

Bar-headed Goose (Anser indicus) with Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
By the main lake, I saw what I at first thought was a day-flying moth with pale wings. It seemed to settle on a nearby branch. It took a while to find it, and I found myself looking at a large caddis fly.  

caddis fly (Anabolia nervosa) - Hicks Lodge
Sadly, there was little of great interest to see by the main lake. There were a few Lapwing and Snipe around on the island, but most were sheltering from the cold wind in the vegetation on the far (leeward) side of the of the island that is nearest the hide, and I could only get very distant views.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) (x5!) + Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) - Hicks Lodge
After about an hour and a half it was necessary for me to set back towards my car as the gates of the car park close at 16h00. 

A very distant Kestrel landed on top of a hedge-line

Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) (female) - Hicks Lodge
Further along the path, a Wren announced its presence by an unmissable chattering. It took a bit of spotting, however!

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Hicks Lodge
With little seen, I was back at my car somewhat earlier than anticipated so I topped up the bird seed and peanuts, and sat in my car and waited once more. This time, there was a little more action and, as well as the grey squirrel, there were several Great Tits, a Robin, a Nuthatch, and a Great Spotted Woodpecker which stayed in the distance and didn't pluck up the courage to approach the feeders due to the endless supply of dog-walkers using the car park. The only thing I photographed was a Nuthatch, and that not too successfully!

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - Oakthorpe Colliery
Bird and photography-wise it had been an unproductive afternoon, but at least it had got me out of the house and back into nature. 

This post was written over a week ago, primarily, to fill a long gap and give me something to publish having returned from a break in Dorset. I'll now be processing the photos from that break.

Thank you for dropping by

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful header, I love the Egyptian Geese, I went to Rutland once, it was there, great. Cheers Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't share your love of the Egyptian Geese, Bob, although I was rather surprised at how colourful they are in flight. They are, as mentioned above, somewhat of a nuisance!

      Take good care, and keep out of the floods! - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. I am not sure whether I have seen Egyptian Goose in flight, Richard, but it is very striking, as you say. Good decision to have a modest excursion for the first time after your enforced hiatus at home. I think we all tend to overdo it when we start to feel better. I remember many years ago after having my appendix removed walking far more than I should have, and paid the price afterwards. Apart from that my doctor gave me hell for not heeding his instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely see an Egyptian Goose in flight, David. They are usually being relatively inactive at the water's edge. However, they have a predilection for nesting on high-up Osprey platforms, so must be quite happy with aerial situations!

      I've been being a good boy lately and, happily, am making good progress once more.

      Delete
  3. Glad all is well again. It is a bugger being old but better than the alternative. I suspect that my choice of the Caddis Fly will seem a little strange but I love the wee mites, especially the lava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your choice of the Caddis Fly is not at all strange, Adrian, although, for me, it comes after the Egyptian Geese in order of preference. Yep, getting old is frustrating, especially when there's still so much to do!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I'm pleased to say that all now seems to be going well!

      Delete
  5. I know it must have felt wonderful to be out and about again, but suspect it also felt pretty good to sit down in the car after an hour-and-a-half of exertion. Small steps.

    Although you said the day was "unproductive", take another look at the images you posted. Understand, there are many in our world who have never seen any of the beautiful creatures you have presented to us. I know that I am not the only one, for instance, who smiled at the "little brown job" hidden in the brush, only his loud voice giving him away. Wrens are among my favorite birds! Small package, huge attitude. (They are called Troglodytes for a reason!)

    Gini and I are delighted you are feeling better! Continue to mend. The wildlife will wait for you. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words of encouragement are very very much appreciated, Wally. All now seems to be moving steadily in the right direction, but I'm still being cautious.

      I too would probably count Wrens as being one of my favourite birds. I must have spent a few hours this year just watching them go about their business. Sadly, we don't see them as frequently in our garden as we used to. I'm thinking of building a nesting box to encourage them - perhaps a mini-project for next week?! Thank you for the inspiration.

      With my very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard, so sorry to hear that you have not been well again. Good though that you have managed to get out of the house. Lovely set of photos, the nu hatch is my favourite.

    We fly out of RSA tomorrow and will be back home on the 14th. many photos taken which is going to take me sometime to sort out.........

    Take care best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. I'm doing fine now, thank you, and progress is good.

      I hope that your journey home from RSA goes smoothly, and am looking forward to seeing all the photos - when you have sorted them out! I know only too well how time-consuming photo sorting can be!

      My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. I know the sort of problems that you face and I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike - much appreciated. I hope that all is going well for you now.

      Delete
  8. Miło znaleźć kolejny ciekawy blog obserwatora ptaków!
    I ja obserwuję takie gatunki u nas w Polsce. Tyle, ze bernikli kanadyjskich jest bardzo mało, sporadycznie. A Anser indicus nigdy nie widziałam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cześć, Ludmila! Dziękujemy za wizytę. Gęś kanadyjska nie jest gatunkiem pochodzącym z Wielkiej Brytanii, ale stanowi wprowadzenie. Anser indica to prawie na pewno ptak, który uciekł z kolekcji ptasiej. Wszystkiego najlepszego - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Great photos of this great birds Richard. I saw the nuthach in Germany. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I do get a lot of pleasure from watching Nuthatches. Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  10. The nature area is only a few streets of my home. We have had much rain but last days it is dry and cold. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard,
    A lovely post with interesting birds!
    Sorry I didn't tell you about me coming, but I took that trip with a group and I was not sure until nearly the last moment if we were going to go or not for several reasons. And once there, I realised that I didn't have your phone number with me!
    I intend to come back next year independently and this time I will let you know!
    Keep well both of you a enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Carine! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for next year! My very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard, your wife is right to worry about your going out to quicly. Hope you feel much better now.
    Your writing about the Egyptian Geese was exactly my idea about this bird. But yesterday took some photos of them because their feathers are most wonderful. Good to read that on your return the birds were more interested in the nuts and seeds you put their for them.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos - I'm taking very good care and all is going well, thank you! With the weather turning quite cold, and wet for much of the time, I've mainly been staying at home where it is warm and dry. Hoping to have a trip out soon, however.

      Take good care - with my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Hello Richard,
    it was perhaps an unproductive day as you say yourself but it is also about having fun in your hobby ;-) When I see your photos I see beautiful images of the Nile geese. I also love your tree sticker.

    Greetings Helma and think of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma. I guess that the 'tree sticker' is the Nuthatch - one of my favourite garden birds! With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha ..... I use a translation machine and the tree sticker is indeed the Sitta europaea ;-)

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.