Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Failure, Followed by Success - on 24th and 25th June, 2020

I'm getting a bit behind with my blog posts, due to rather a lot going on round here at the moment, but all is (mostly) well and, hopefully, it's onwards and upwards from this point on. Just two excursions to report on for the week in question.

Wednesday, 24th June

This day Lindsay and I celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary, although 'celebrate' is a bit of a strong word in these restrictive times.  As dining out in style was not an option, we decided on a picnic lunch in the countryside, and then me cooking dinner that evening. 

We got ready and just before putting the camera in the car, I noticed that the battery was only half full and, although I can usually get well in excess of a thousand shots from a fully charged battery, I tend to change the battery when it shows only half-full. I always keep a couple of fully-charged batteries in my study, so it's a quick job to put a battery in the charger and replace it with a fresh one.

As we arrived at our chosen picnic spot, I saw that there was a Little Owl in a nearby tree. I confess to this being by design rather than accident! Lindsay was happy for me to grab a few photos before we settled in for lunch. I got out the camera - and it didn't work. This idiot had only got distracted when he went to change the battery, and neglected to put a fresh one in. My first Little Owl since the end of February, and no chance of photographing it. We'd planned to do a bit of driving around after lunch, but Lindsay could see that the frustration was going to be too much for me and suggested that we wend our way home again as soon as we'd finished eating.

Thankfully I redeemed the situation by cooking Lindsay's favourite meal that night - sesame chicken in a rich soy, honey, and ginger sauce, accompanied by a mango and coriander (cilentro) salsa.

Thursday, 25th June

Lindsay encouraged me to go out this day, probably to compensate for my lack of photographic exercise the previous day, so I made my way to Heather Lake as I hadn't been there for more than two weeks, and I fancied seeing if the Emperor dragonflies were around still. On the previous visit I had, unusually, only found females of the species.

Having parked the car and got through the gate I stopped to check my settings by photographing a bee. I have no idea of the species, but hope to ID it in the not-too-distant future when I have had time to digest the two new bee field guides that I got on Saturday!

bee species - near Heather Lake
The walk to the lake is mainly along a ride through a wooded area, and I found my first damselfly long before I got to the lake.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (teneral female) - near Heather Lake
Immediately before reaching the lake I arrive at the well-reeded stream which feeds the lake, but never seems to contain more than a trickle. However, there are often many damselflies here. This male seems to like his ladies young!

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male + female) - Heather Lake
As I arrived at the lake itself, at the narrow inlet end, a Mute Swan hove into view and seemed to check me out - maybe hoping I had food for it?

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Heather Lake
At first I was just seeing damselflies - no dragonflies.

Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans)(male) - Heather Lake
A male Emperor appeared, and I spent a little while trying to take some flight shots, without much success. I'm definitely out of practice in this direction or, more likely, I don't have the stamina that I used to have to wave a heavy camera around, and my reaction times are slower! Here's the best that I could manage - it seems to be carrying its lunch in its mouth.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (male) - Heather Lake
Soon, I found a Black-tailed Skimmer. This is a species that I don't often see in these parts, but have seen them at Heather Lake on two previous occasions. It's a species that it is not usually easy to get a pleasing photo of, due to their habit of settling on the ground, rather than on a stalk or leaf. I was pleased, therefore to find one on a leaf - and then another, and another - they were all perching off the ground. I have seen other comment about this species' sudden change of habit. I have never seen so many Black-tailed Skimmers before, and not one was on the ground!





Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Heather Lake
There were, literally, hundreds of damselflies, but I admit to paying scant attention to them, concentrating mainly on the dragonflies. I did, however, take a few shots.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male + female) - Heather Lake
Further on, near the south end of the lake, I found an ovipositing Emperor.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (female) - Heather Lake
I was a little excited when I thought that I'd found female Black-tailed Skimmers but, on examination of my photos, I'm relatively sure that these were both immature males.


Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (immature male) - Heather Lake
In addition to the swan, which was now following me continually as I went round the lake, there were two other enchanting bird sightings. The first was a family of Coots on the far side of the lake (two adults plus five young - four of which are in shot).

Coot family (Fulica atra) - Heather Lake
It was this next sighting, however, that melted my heart - a female Mallard with ten chicks in tow!

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (female + chicks) - Heather Lake
Having completed a clockwise circuit of the lake, I turned round and set off back in an anti-clockwise direction, collecting a few more skimmer images as I did so. 



Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Heather Lake
By the south end of the lake I must have spent a good 20 minutes trying to photograph an Emperor in flight, until my arms gave out. Sadly, the results were even worse than earlier. I'm not sure if I like this next shot, with the bright light reflecting off the wings, but all the rest were absolutely hopelessly out of focus or out of frame!

Emperor (Anax imperator) (male) - Heather Lake
As I returned along the east side of the lake I found a straggling Mallard chick that didn't seem bothered by my presence.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (chick) - Heather Lake

In a previous blogpost, I mentioned and showed a male Common Blue Damselfly landing on the back of an ovipositing female Emperor dragonfly. I have since read that this is not an unusual occurrence, and I witnessed this happen again this day.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (female) + Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Heather Lake
It was now time for me to head home, but not without first saying goodbye to the swan that had still faithfully been following on my travels.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Heather Lake
I had not been counting my sightings, but if you asked me to estimate numbers I'd say I'd seen about 30 Black-tailed Skimmers, 6 Emperors, and a hawker species that I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get a proper look at as it seemed unfamiliar to me for the time of year, but looked suspiciously like an immature male Migrant Hawker.


I have absolutely no idea when my next blog post will be as I've come to the conclusion that I've got some relatively major projects that need my attention, such as a stack of random sandstone that's been outside our back door for a few years, and needs transforming into a garden pathway. I will, therefore, make an effort to have a period with less time processing photos and sitting at the computer in my study.

In the meantime, take great care and stay safe. Thank you for dropping by.

22 comments:

  1. You may not have been able to photograph the Little Owl, Richard, but you had the distinct pleasure of seeing it, and having Lindsay to share the experience made it all the sweeter. I bet the owl reported back to all his chums, "You know the fellow who used to come and see us all the time? He was here today with his missus." The owl telegraph was doubtless buzzing. And then you had a dragonfly extravaganza the next day, so I would say that overall it was a grand success, and given the general state of the world these days, forgetting a battery for your camera doesn't really seem so bad. Good luck with the garden path. I have been led down the garden path a few times in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for an opportunity to return to the Little Owl, David, but it's not been owl weather, with strong winds and a lot of rain, and it's been very cold too, although that last factor is not a great problem for an owl. The forecast is better for next week, so fingers are crossed!

      As for that path, I've come to the conclusion that it's not my chosen path but, nevertheless, it's one that must be trod.

      Delete
  2. An excellent set of photos Richard. You certainly nailed them Black tailed Skimmers, lovely detail. Glad you are now getting out a bit. Congrats on the anniversary. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I couldn't believe just how cooperative the Black-tailed Skimmers were. I'm off to a new location tomorrow, in spite of the dreadful weather forecast, as I've been asked if I would like to help Forestry England survey for dragonflies a couple of ponds they've recently created. Not expecting to see anything tomorrow, but looking forward to checking out the lie of the land before visiting on better weather days.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard! Late wedding day congratulations! Lovely swan picture;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Swans are so elegant - even when their heads are under water!

      Delete
  4. Como nos tienes acostumbrados un reportaje extraordinario. Me ha encantado la libélula en vuelo, espectacular. Enhorabuena Richard, un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creo que podría estar envejeciendo para tomar buenas fotos en el vuelo, Germán, ¡pero seguiré intentándolo! ¡Todo es un buen ejercicio y también es muy divertido!

      Los mejores deseos de una Inglaterra fría y húmeda - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your 48 years and well done for cooking what sounds like a fabulous meal. Lovely set of photos once again.
    Wish you had been here this evening, the Little owls were both at the corner of our garden and something had obviously upset them. I have never heard them so agitated, I wonder if there was a snake around. The best part though was that they were ignoring me and I got the closest photos I have ever taken 🦉
    Keep well and stay safe, very best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I like to cook, and Lindsay is always so appreciative!

      Have you seen your Little Owls since the goings on yesterday? I hope that they are OK! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos of them. Are you still pleased with the new lens?

      I hope that you are both keeping safe and well. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. What a way to celebrate your anniversary Richard. Many congratulations. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to put the battery in the camera, however! Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. To bad about the forgotten battery Richard. But at least you have seen the LO and next time you go there and make some stunning captures. The compensation with the Dragonflies is stunning. Some wonderful photos!!! By the way that recepy for the chicken sounds realy wonderful. Also from me a late wedding day congratulations.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Roos. I'm hoping to go back next week to see if I can find the owl again.

      If you are interested, I'd be happy to write down the recipe for the chicken dish and email it to you. There aren't too many ingredients, and it's quite an easy dish to prepare and cook.

      Best wishes - take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to you youngsters on 48 years of marriage! Gini and I wish you many more!

    An owl seen is a memory for the observer. An owl photographed is just us showing off.

    What an outstanding display of odonata! Your images of lovely damsels and handsome dragons are quite impressive, Richard. The clarity of your photos reminds me of my promise to myself: "Use the tripod. Your hands are no longer reliable."

    I know you are your own worst critic, but the in-flight shot of the Emperor I thought was very good. The Black-tailed Skimmers certainly cooperated for you. What a great outing!

    Best of luck with the garden path project. Wish I could be there to help - strictly in a supervisory capacity, of course. It turns out I am allergic to actual work.

    Again, a toast to you and Lindsay on 48 years! It just gets better from here on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes, Gini and Wally. We're looking forward to the big Five-O, but have not yet decided how we'd like to celebrate it. However, we'll probably aim for something simple and relaxing rather than exotic.

      Yes, I guess I must be an inveterate show-off - that thought will now stick with me!

      I have not used a tripod for about 25 years and then I was using it to support a large and heavy semi-pro video camera. All my shots are hand-held, and the older I get, the less chance there is of me toting a tripod, with its extra weight, into the field.

      I've a serious suspicion that the garden path might be put on a back-burner for yet another year. Currently I'm torn between the prospect of paving, or doing another leather carving project as I have an owl-themed belt that I've done some test-pieces for before committing to the real job.

      I hope that you're both keeping your heads above water in these difficult times - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hoi Richard, hartelijk gefelciteerd met jullie 48 jarig huwelijk. Mooie fotos van de insecten. Ik heb weinig insecten en vlinders gezien dit jaar. Groetjes Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, Caroline, voor je vriendelijke woorden. Helaas lijken insecten over de hele wereld ernstig in verval te raken, en we moeten er alles aan doen om deze situatie te keren. Het moet beginnen met het stoppen van het gebruik van chemicaliën op het land en het creëren en beschermen van wilde bloemen in openbare ruimtes en privétuinen bevorderen.

      Wees voorzichtig en blijf veilig - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard
    Congratulations on my 48th wedding anniversary
    1972 what was that time? 1972 was the longest year of the Gregorian calendar. As a leap year, it was one day and two leap seconds longer than usual. Otherwise, have fun building a garden path or belt ...
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank, for your kind words and that interesting piece of information. I had not realised that it was the longest year - it was, however, almost the longest day of the year, and it felt like it!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. The Black-tailed Skimmer is the best, especially the header, fantastic. I love the Mallard chick, it's looks a bit lonely. Thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted that you enjoyed this, Bob. I don't think that Mallard chick was lonely for long, it was soon back with its mother! Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.