Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 5 September 2020

A Couple of Trips Out - 18th & 20th August, 2020

I have not been out much lately as I am still in catch-up mode at home with things that I should have done in 2019 and are so much harder to do now that it's 2020! However, I have got two short excursions to report on and, fortunately, quite a few photos to illustrate the the post with.

Tuesday 18th August           Cloud Wood

In the preceeding week I'd had an invitation from good friend Brian, who is somewhat of a botanist and also Chairman of a local wildlife group that I'm part of, to accompany him to Cloud Wood as there was a good chance of seeing Violet Helleborine in flower, and the possibility that Broad-leaved Helleborine might still be in flower - the helleborines being a group of orchid species. Although not particularly interested in the plant world, I have started to develop a bit of an interest in orchids, so I gratefully accepted the invitation.

On the Monday I had a call from Brian who, having checked the weather forecast (occasional sun and the small possibility of a shower), confirmed the arrangements for meeting up the next day. I was also told that two of the most wildlife-knowledgable people in our group, Min and Tim, would be joining us.

I arrived five minutes early (10h55), to find the other three already there and, having changed my footwear, we set off into the wood. Cloud Wood is an ancient woodland that was clear-felled during the Second World War, but allowed to regenerate naturally. It is part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

We had not gone far before Brian stopped us to show us a Broad-leaved Helleborine. Sadly it had gone over, but I took some photos anyway. Helleborines are not the showiest of the orchiid family!


Broad-leaved Helleborine (Epipactis helleborine) - Cloud Wood
Cloud Wood can be interesting for insects, and I photographed a few. This next item is a tiny moth that I often see in my garden - sometimes referred to as a Mint Moth.

Pyrausta aurata - Cloud Wood
There was one insect that I initially thought was a hoverfly species, but I later found out that it was a fly, although there is a similar-looking hoverfly. The most easily noted ID feature is that the fly has a bristly back-end to the abdomen. There were many of this species seen during this visit.

Tachina fera - Cloud Wood
Tachina fera with Seven-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata) - Cloud Wood
I think that this next one is a Dark-winged Flesh Fly and, if I'm correct, it seems that it is a bit of a rarity for the county, with only three previous records, one of which happened to be - in Cloud Wood!  UPDATE - now an accepted record

probable Dark-winged Flesh Fly (Nyctia halterata) - Cloud Wood
There were numerous hoverflies around, and I photographed a few. I think that I have managed to ID them all, but if you spot any mistakes, please let me know. The first is a very large one and I thought at first that it was a hornet as it flew past me. It landed near Brian, who got to it first and struggled to get a shot of it before it flew away. Fortunately I'd taken a distant record shot first. We only had one more sighting of this species, and that was a fly-past.

Volucella inanis - Cloud Wood
Eristalis pertinax - Cloud Wood
Eristalis arbustorum - Cloud Wood
There were many day-flying Silver Y moths around. This seems to have been an exceptionally good year for this migrant species.

Silver Y (Autographa gamma) - Cloud Wood
Another insect named for a character marking on its wings is the Comma butterfly. This one was intact, but a little worn.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Cloud Wood
I photographed a few plants on the way to finding our main objective. Here are some of them.

Umbellifera species - Cloud Wood
Cuckoo-pint (Arum maculatum) - Cloud Wood
Indian Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) - Cloud Wood
Indian Balsam, or Himalayan Balsam is an introduced and invasive species, but quite attractive in appearance.

As we approached our target species, Min noticed a slime mould on a nearby tree stump. It was probably one that goes by the attractive name of Dog Vomit Slime Mould! The scientific name is barely more pleasant.

probable Dog Vomit Slime Mould (Fuligo septica) - Cloud Wood
There were a few of our target species, the Violet Helleborine, in a small area, and they were starting to 'go over'. As they were in a deeply shaded part of the wood, photography was not easy. These shots were the best I could manage. I was using the Sigma 150 macro lens that day which allowed the use of the on-camera flash for the second image. I'm not sure which I prefer.


Violet Helleborine (Epipactis purpurata) - Cloud Wood
Having found our target, we made our way back to the entrance. However, eagle-eyed Min spotted a tiny larva on a leaf and, on examination, declared that she thought it might be a kitten moth caterpillar. Having run my photo by caterpillar expert and renowned illustrator Richard Lewington, it was confirmed as an early instar kitten, and probably a Sallow Kitten.

probable Sallow Kitten (Furcula furcula) (early instar) - Cloud Wood
Thus ended a very enjoyable and somewhat different session. My thanks to Brian, Min, and Tim.

Thursday, 20th August          Heather Lake

This was my first visit to Heather Lake since 11th July and I was not sure what to expect. After walking to the lake from my roadside parking place, I arrived to find a family with noisy children and even noisier dogs playing at the far end of the lake, acting as if they were at a seaside beach. After waiting a while to see what developed I started out on the path that headed down the west side of the lake. I didn't get very far before the family started to move. I was expecting them to come down the east side of the lake which has a quite broad clear area along it which makes crossing at a social distance possible. However, they decided to take the very narrow west side path that I was on and started heading towards me, strung out over a considerable length - it was time for me to turn round and take the east side of the lake.

I did my usual thing of taking a few shots to check my camera settings, the nearest subject to hand being a male Common Blue Damselfly. Not the best of photos, but I didn't bother with any more shots of blue damselflies that day, so here's one.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Heather Lake
As I neared the south end of the lake I took some shots of a mating pair of Common Darter.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male + female in cop) - Heather Lake
At the south end of the lake I spent nearly an hour trying to get flight shots of a male Migrant Hawker. The dragonfly's lack of cooperation, coupled with my own slow reaction speed, meant that my efforts were all but a total failure. This was the best that I could do!

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Heather Lake
During this interlude, I saw a Silver Y moth fly out from the bank and land in the water about 10 metres from the bank. It seemed such a strange thing for it to do! The surface tension kept it afloat, as can be seen in this next image.

Silver Y (Autographa gamma) - Heather Lake
Having given up on the Migrant Hawker, I carried on a little further and, through a narrow gap in the reeds, spotted an Emperor ovipositing.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (female - ovipositing) - Heather Lake
There were many Common Darters around. When solitary, they stayed close to the ground. This meant that they could be hard to spot before disturbing them, and photographic images were somewhat cluttered, as can be seen in the first image, below. The specimen in the second image was a little more obliging in choosing a perch that was raised from the background. The most cooperative one, however, was the one that sat on a reed against a backdrop of open water, as shown in the third.



Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Heather Lake
Most of the Common Darters seen, however, were busy working on the next generation! I swear that the female has a grin on its face!

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male + female in cop) - Heather Lak
Part-way along the west side I found a Brown Hawker ovipositing in a very obscured position. Usually females ovipositing give the best opportunities to photograph this species as, otherwise, they are very fast-flying and, unlike many species, they do not patrol a territory. They also rarely seem to settle anywhere.

Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female - ovipositing) - Heather Lake
Having made a full clockwise circuit of the lake, I set off back anticlockwise. This proved to be a good move as I found an Emerald Damselfly to photograph.


Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (male) - Heather Lake
Things got even better when I saw a Brown Hawker settle. I believe that I have only ever seen them settle in a tree at a height of 5 metres or more. This one was near the ground!


Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female) - Heather Lake
I only managed a few shots before it disappeared into the distance.

Just as I was about to leave, a Common Darter appeared over the water, and I managed a slightly better flight shot than the one of the Migrant Hawker.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Heather Lake
It was now time to head home again.

This brings me to the end of this post.  Garden photography has been a bit thin on the ground lately, although the garden has not been without some excitement. I have also only been out into the wild only once since the two trips featured here, so the next post might feature both aspects. I shall give it a little thought!

In the meantime, take great care and stay safe - and be aware of those that seem to think that the virus has gone - it hasn't!!

30 comments:

  1. A mythical Brown Hawker caught on camera. No matter how hard I try, I seem to never get opportunities with this species. Must be autumn, with Common Darter photos about. A lovely read as always. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Brown Hawkers are difficult, Marc, but I do manage to get one from time to time. I suspect it's not long now until it's just Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers locally - and maybe the occasional Willow Emerald if I travel! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photos Richard, everyone are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Richard: A fine account of your recent meanderings. It is always good to go afield with agreeable and knowledgeable companions, and if they have expertise in the flora of the area so much the better. Plants may not regularly capture your attention, but knowledge is never wasted, and being able to recognize plants that are known host species to insects you might be looking for is a great help. You scored well with a range of butterflies and moths, followed by the exciting discovery of Dog Vomit Slime Mould! Try to top that just before having lunch! It's good that you had success with the dragonflies too. I suspect that their season is drawing to a close. Perhaps you will venture out again during the week ahead. All the best. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, David! With the broadening of my interests (which, sadly, has come rather late in life) I'm getting more and more conscious of how all aspects of nature are interwoven to form a very rich pattern - and how man, for selfish reasons, is hell-bent on destroying the natural world and, ultimately, mankind itself. I make my voice heard when I can but, depressingly, most of the time it's like pi--ing into the wind.

      I had a great session out last week - my longest since lockdown, by far, and am hoping to have a day out this coming week too.

      Best wishes to you both. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. There is still a little summer left. No insects have flown here for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that we have a little more summer left here, Anne. We still have insects around - mainly butterflies, bees and wasps it seems.

      Delete
  5. An excellent 'couple of trips out' and an equally excellent illustrated account of them too Richard. The last image of the in flight male Common Darter is particularly impressive.

    Stay Safe Take Care Richard.


    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Pete. Not been getting out as much as I would like to, and it won't be long before my excursions will be more focussed on birds as the opportunities for other taxa will diminish with the onset of autumn and winter!

      You take good care too, Pete. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, fantastic finds and photos. The Brown Hawker is stunning but I love your Orchids you were looking for. The Commen Darter in flight is amazing. Well done. All your other photos are most wonderfull but I wrote that already. O well better dubbel that not at all.
    Have a nice day and enjoy the late Summer days.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with Dubbel, Roos, particularly if it is Westmalle Dubbel - it is even Lindsay's favourite beer!

      Frankly, I found the orchids to be a little dull in appearance, but exciting because of their relative rarity.

      Not much summer left now, I fear, and much to do before winter arrives.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard,

    I know, I am very late reading and responding but it is no different.
    Your photos are really beautiful with all these different dragonflies and damsels.
    Also beautiful butterflies and other insects. Nicely sharp, beautiful in color and very nice details. I really enjoy this very much.
    Stay safe and healthy. '
    I'm going to continue reading with you ;-)

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visits and kind words, Helma. It's no problem to me at all that sometimes you are a little late - I'm allways delighted to hear from you.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      (QvQ)
      (......)
      --"---"--

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Richard :-)

      Delete
  8. When you get out, you REALLY get out! Cloud Wood looks to be a very special place. Having "experts" along certainly adds depth to a field trip. I have a feeling they think the same about having your presence.

    Since my arms are still tired from attempting (unsuccessfully) dragonfly flight shots yesterday, I really appreciate how good yours are! Very impressive.

    The diverse collection of photographs you have provided today has me wanting to see more. Hopefully, we will both be able to get out and about in the coming days to sample what nature serves up.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are doing as well as we are! All is good on this side of the pond - hot and steamy, but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wally and Gini. Delighted to hear that all is OK over there, even if somewhat hot and humid - but then you're used to those conditions!

      I have not been out much lately as I have, at last, got round to a paving project that's been on hold for a few years - should have it all finished, weather permitting, in about a week. I did have another arm-waving session earlier this week, with some reasonably positive results - more on that at a later date.

      Have a wonderful weekend and week ahead. My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    two nice trips, professional staff is always good when it comes to things that you weren't interested in before, I really liked it
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. It was very helpful being in the company of 'experts' for that visit to the woods. Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard, I need to knock 20years of my age before I can attempt photo's like that. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for what I think is a compliment, Mike, but I suspect that your years are not that much advanced on my own mid-seventies! Take great care, and best of luck with your new 'local patch' - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard, beautiful photos of the insects. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline. Thank you for your visit. You too have a great weekend. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Fantastic images, I love the Dark-winged Flesh Fly, awesome. And I love all of Dragonflies, thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I think that the Dark-winged Flesh Fly has a wonderful name. I'm so pleased that you like the dragonflies too - I'll never get to Marc Heath's standards. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Forget to mention the Little Owls are very vocal at present but still not coming close enough for photos. D.

      Delete
    3. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Diane. Not sure how I missed this comment, and why it ended up under my reply to Bob!

      Delete
  13. How interesting to go out with a knowledgeable person. Love all your photos abd the dragonflies are fabulous. Guess they will not be around for much longer, but that also means most insects as well will disappear for the colder months. Wish I could learn to enjoy winter!!

    Sorry I am behind with visits but the kitchen here has been working in overtime. So much in the garden. Also of course the very slow computer does not help. Take care, and very best wishes to you both, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. My apologies for not seeing this comment from you before now. I just found it when I went to check my comments area in blogger. Usually I see comments awaiting moderation in my email!

      Yes, most of the dragonflies will be gone soon but it's not unheard of fro a few to last into November.

      I fully understand how busy you have been. The amount of produce you have is utterely amazing!

      Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.