Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 9 October 2020

The Very End Of Summer? - 14th to 27th September, 2020

Firstly, my apologies for my absence from Bloggerland for a while - I have recently returned from a break on the fabulous Isles of Scilly. A blog post (or two) on that subject will follow this one, when I have had time to process the over three thousand frames I shot with my camera whilst away!

This post covers the two weeks before our departure for the Scillies and will almost certainly represent the end of summer in these parts. WARNING - this is also a rather long post!

Monday, 14th September

Nothing of significant note in the garden, although I did photograph a common, but nonetheless spectacular, Garden Spider.

Garden Spider (Araneus diadematus) - garden on 14th September, 2020
That afternoon I decided it was time to make my first visit to Rutland Water since the start of the Covid pandemic. As I approached my old Little Owl site No.42, where I had not seen an owl for a very long time, I noticed a suspicious shape poking out from behind the roof of the building. I nearly ignored it but, at the last moment, decided to park the car and walk back along the road to a place where I could check with the binoculars - there it was, a Little Owl!

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.42

My reasons for wanting to visit Rutland Water were twofold - I felt that it was about time I photographed some birds, other than those in my garden, but I also wanted to check on the dragonfly scene there. On arrival, I went to the gate by one of the ponds not open to the public and had a sighting of a male Southern Hawker which very briefly landed in a tree before a strong gust of wind sent it on its way again, and I only managed a rather poor shot.

Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I then took the trails towards the north of the site, and observed several Common Darters. Strangely, every one seen was a female!



Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
A Comma butterfly was exhibiting the reason for its names (both common and scientific).

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Along the edge of Sharples Meadow I was hoping to find a number of Migrant Hawkers as this has been a good spot for them in the past, but I just found one, and not in the best of positions.

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I was more than a little nervous about entering hides at Rutland Water, as these can get quite busy at times, and the car park had been virtually full. I did, however, risk popping my head into Crake Hide which overlooks the northern end of South Arm III. There was no one there but, disappointingly, the vegetation in front of the hide had grown so tall that it was difficult to see much. The only bird I photographed was an incoming Grey Heron.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
After half an hour or so, I had to give up and beat a hasty retreat as I was scheduled to visit our daughter on the way home. It had been an interesting session, but not as good as I had been hoping for.

Tuesday, 15th September

The garden highlight of the day was a male Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta), which briefly settled on a branch in our Rowan and departed as I went for my camera.

Wednesday, 16th September

Two garden highlights on this day, the first being a female Southern Hawker dragonfly which passed through without stopping, and the second being a rare visit by a Chiffchaff.

Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) - garden on 16th September, 2020
It was also good to see Coal Tit, as these have been very thin on the ground for a couple of years.

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - garden on 16th September, 2020
Thursday, 17th September

There was real excitement this day as we had a visit from a Humming-bird Hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum). This was only the second I have seen in the garden and only, I think, the fifth that I have ever seen anywhere! I was just raising my camera to it when it departed, never to be seen again.

The day was not lost, however, as I managed to get some shots of the Hornet mimic hoverfly, Volucella zonaria - the largest British hoverfly and a garden 'first'.


hoverfly (Volucella zonaria) - garden on 17th September, 2020
Friday, 18th September

It continued to be a good garden week when we had a visit by a pair of Nuthatch. Sadly, I only got a shot of one of them - which is better than I did with the Southern Hawker which also visited this day and avoided the camera!

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 18th September, 2020
Lindsay and I went out for a picnic lunch that day, and enjoyed the company of a Little Owl at my site No.34, although it was difficult to spot it in deep shadow. I have had to do some image manipulation to get it visible in the images below. This was the first time in two years that I have seen an owl in this tree.



Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.34
After lunch, we headed off towards Burrough Hill, but had not gone far before Lindsay alerted me to three small birds in the hedgerow. I was delighted to see Whinchat, and managed to get some shots of one of them.

Whinchat (Saxicola rubetra) (female) - near Burrough on the Hill
I had passed by the entrance to Burrough Hill Country Park, the site of a huge Iron-age hill fort, but had never visited. As this was a sunny day, even if a bit windy, we decided to investigate. The wildlife was a bit thin on the ground, probably due to the wind, but the views were wonderful - some of the best in the county, in my opinion!

part of Burrough Hill Iron-age hill fort

View from Burrough Hill Iron-age hill fort
Our homeward route took us past my old Little Owl site No.41 where it must be at least two years since I last saw an owl after the nest tree collapsed just above where John Truman and I had installed a nest box a couple of years or more before, after a previous catastrophe to the nest tree. I was just about to raise my binoculars to investigate a dark 'splodge' on top of the nest box when Lindsay exclaimed 'there's an owl!'
 

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.41
Sadly, looking at the entrance hole, it does not look as if this box is being used, other than as a perch.
 
It is also sad to reflect that here I was on a Friday, getting excited about seeing my third Little Owl in a week. A few years ago I'd have been disappointed if I had made this same journey in one afternoon and only seen three Little Owls. 

Saturday, 19th September

Little of note this day, other than an unphotographed visit by a Southern Hawker dragonfly - this time a male.
 
The young Goldfinches are nearly all in the process of getting their adult plumage now, and this one hasn't long to go before it 'comes of age'. In the meantime, it looks rather scruffy!
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 19th September, 2020
Lindsay and I are both fond of Grey Squirrels, although they are a controversial subject. However, at this time of year, they can be a bit of a nuisance as they like to bury hazelnuts from our tree all over the garden, including in the lawn. This year I reckon that I have had to dig up well over a couple of hundred saplings from their unrecovered hoardings.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 19th September, 2020
Sunday, 20th September
 
I'd very recently read an article about German Wasps (Vespula germanica) in UK, saying that they were very similar to our Common Wasp, although a little larger and more aggressive, which probably explains why the only time I have ever been stung by a wasp was at Peenemunde in Germany - not the worst thing to have occurred at that location! The article explained that the easiest ID point was markings on the face, so I set out to photograph a wasp face. 

Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) - garden on 30th September, 2020
Monday, 21st September

While out trying to find a male Migrant Hawker seen in the garden, I happened on some ladybirds. I confess to having been almost totally ignorant of the lifecycle of ladybirds so was, initially a little confused by what I saw. Having returned home this week and studied my photos, I now have a better understanding, and am concerned to find that these were Harlequin Ladybird - an alien species which predates other ladybirds, and poses a threat to our native species. I have now re-checked the location and all have disappeared except for empty larval shells.

Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis var. succinea) (nymph) - garden on 21st September, 2020


Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis var. succinea) (pupa) - garden on 21st September, 2020

Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis var. succinea) (emergence) - garden on 21st September, 2020
Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis var. succinea) (adult) - garden on 21st September, 2020
I also photographed some hoverflies that day. The first I am relatively confident is an Eristalis species but cannot be identified specifically without more details.
 
hoverfly (Eristalis sp.) - garden on 22nd September, 2020
The second, I believe, was Syrphus ribesii, but I'm happy to be corrected !
 

hoverfly (Syrphus ribesii) - garden on 22nd September, 2020
Tuesday, 22nd September

Seeing a window of reasonable weather, and probably my last opportunity before our forthcoming visit to the Scillies, I paid a short visit to Saltersford Valley to check on the dragonfly scene.
 
On my way to the boardwalk I stopped to photograph a Speckled Wood butterfly.
 
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Saltersford Valley
From the boardwalk, I only managed to spot a male Common Darter.
 
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Saltersford Valley
Seeing little, I left the boardwalk and made an anticlockwise circuit of the site. One of the juvenile Coots was trying out its wings for size. It looked rather amusing to me, particularly when it turned its back.



Coot (Fulica atra) (juvenile) - Saltersford Valley
Other than this, my circular perambulation yielded nothing of interest and I returned to the boardwalk. Here I found two female Common Darters.
 

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Saltersford Valley
The real bonus came, however, when a male Migrant Hawker arrived and I was able to get some perched shots, and some better flight shots than I have achieved of this species this year.
 





Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Saltersford Valley
This brings me to the end of this post as observations for the rest of the week were less because I was busy preparing for our visit to the Scillies.
 
I will now start to work my way through all those frames shot in the Scillies - I may be gone some time! 
 
This virus thing seems to be getting a lot worse again (unless you're a fan of Donald Trump),  so take great care, avoid the idiots, and stay safe. Best wishes - - - Richard

24 comments:

  1. Lovely post Richard with some wonderful photos. Love the in flight Migrant Hawkers, top quality shots. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. Your own work inspires me to try and better my own efforts! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. A post crammed with interest and excellent shots, some of which most of us tend to ignore. I enjoyed the scroll.

    Your closing comments are spot on Richard....'avoid the idiots'....even one of'em is one too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find my interests are continuing to broaden, Pete but, unfortunately, I now know a little about many things, but not much about any one thing!

      As with most situations, it only takes one selfish idiot to spoil it for the majority.

      Thank you for your supportive words - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard: The Little Owls were the hands down highlight of this post for me, especially so since I clearly remember these sites when we visited you a few years ago. In fact, I am quite sure that if I were to go back in our archives I would find pictures taken at these very locations. I remember well the sturdy nest box erected by you and John, and it is a little surprising that the owls have declined to occupy it. Some species, for whatever reason, seem reluctant to accept this kind of assistance from friendly humans. I share in your delight at discovering three owls, despite the fact that it might not have been so memorable just a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess, David, that I find myself thinking of you and Miriam when I visit the Little Owl sites that we saw owls at together. It was my absolute pleasure to be able to show you a good few. Sadly I would be now hard-pressed to show you just one Little Owl should you ever visit again. I'm wondering if the reluctance to use that owl box is because of the unreliability of the tree that it's on being imprinted on them in some way. Both collapses must have been extremely frightening for them at the time.

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard, beautiful pictures. I love the owl. Have a nice sunday. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. It has been a very relaxing Sunday - mainly processing photos and cooking dinner! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    The little owls are great, great that the boxes that you have hung up are used at least from the outside, you don't see such birds here anymore, it's a shame, your dragonfly pictures are also worth seeing again and not to forget the heron in flight, I'm already a little jealous .. ;-)
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very sorry to hear that you do not see Little Owls near you, Frank. I wonder why that is? I'll trade you some of my owl sightings for some of your deer sightings!
      (QvQ)
      (......)
      --"---"--
      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, what a fantastic post this is! I do not know which photo I like the best because they are each on its own stunning. But the LO are in this post my favorite. Hope you will be able to find more on your trips to come.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos, for your kind wishes. Without a shadow of doubt, the Little Owls were the absolute highlight for me too. I think that, as I am avoiding contact with othe people, I may be concentrating more on owls this winter. I will be able to be on my own, sitting waiting, at the end of the day.

      Stay safe - Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Oh WOW three Little Owls in one day, I would have been bubbling with excitement, Wonderful, and so glad we got to virtually visit them as well.

    I love your macro shots, but having just got the Tamron 18-400 mm lens I will have to make do. It does a far better job than my original Nikon 55 -300mm lens I must say.

    Keep safe and have a good week both of you, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite, Diane - it was two in a day, but three in a week!

      The macro shots in the garden were taken with the Sigma 150 macro, but all the shots when away from home, including those of butterflies and dragonflies, are taken with the Sigma 50-500, which will focus down to around 4 inches (10 cm) from the lens hood! You do fabulously with that Tamron 18-400!

      I hope the sun shines brightly for you both. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard, I loved the Common Darter and the Little Owls. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. The Little Owls are my absolute favourite, and I hope that I will be seeing more of them this winter. Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. This is probably cheating, but I hereby declare that my favorite photograph in this post is the one which filled my screen at any given time. They were ALL wonderful!

    How heartening it must be to see the Little Owls, right where you left them!

    Your in-flight Migrant Hawker images are quite special. I'm trying to develop the patience and perseverance (not to mention arm muscles) necessary to make such photos.

    It has been a pleasure going through this post several times, Richard. Thank you for sharing a bit of Nature's beauty.

    Gini and I are doing fantastic and are busy trying to find dry trails to explore as our rainy season may be coming to an end. We hope you and Lindsay are rested after your Scilly excursion and that this new week will bring us all peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind if you cheat, Wally, but it might cost you the price of a new hat if my head gets too big!

      It was really great to see the Little Owls. I'd almost given up on them as it got so depressing to go out and not be able to find one when, only a few years back, it was not unheard of for me to have a 10 owl day - in fact I seem to remember that I might have had one with David G. when he visited. However, in these changed times, I might go back to trying to major on owls - we'll see how it all unfolds.

      I'm delighted that you seem to be getting out regularly and are in good spirits. We're doing OK here, but the pressure is building up again, due to Covid, and we're finding ourselves retreating into (currently) self-imposed lockdown once more.

      Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Ricghard,
    what a beautiful blog full of beautiful photos.
    I see beautiful dragonflies and insects and also many beautiful birds such as the goldfinch and Whinchat and photo 38 the upright feathers of the young coot.
    However, I am jealous of your beautiful pictures of the little owl on the roof and in the tree. So nice and so cool to see this little owl. Really amazing! I am really enjoying these beautiful records :-)))))) My compliments.

    Greetings, Helma
    Stay safe and healthy. In the Netherlands the infections are very high and the situation is really serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and your kind words, Helma - and I think that you might not be the last this time! ;-}

      The Little Owls are my favourite, and I hope that I may see some more soon.

      The Covid situation in UK is getting extremely serious too, and I think that we might be going back into lockdown soon. Even if the government does not demand it, Lindsay and I will probably do so anyway. Stay safe, Helma - my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard
    Your camera does you proud, there are too many to say so. But, a hornet mimic hoverfly, my favourite, beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Bob. The insect world has helped me to keep going in these difficult times. Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.