Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 2 November 2020

Scilly Sojourns - September/October, 2020 - Pt.2

This is the second part of my report on my visit to the Isles of Scilly at the end of September/beginning of October. You can find Pt.1 here:-http://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2020/10/scilly-sojourns-septemberoctober-2020.html.

In Pt.1  I mentioned that I had four main objectives for the visit. Happily, by the end of day 2 on St Mary's, I had achieved two of them - namely to get better photos of the insula subspecies of Speckled Wood butterfly, and seeing my first ever dragonflies on the Scillies. This continues the story.

Thursday, 1st October

A pre-breakfast visit to the path above Littleporth Beach at the bottom of the garden produced one of my favourite subjects in pleasing light - a Stonechat.

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Littleporth
I also took some shots of Rock Pipit, and can't resist showing two of these, which make me smile each time I look at them!

Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Littleporth
Following my disappointment at not being back at base the previous day when my wife, Lindsay, had spotted one of my objectives, a Hummingbird Hawkmoth, just outside the kitchen window and had even got a record shot of it, I had done a recce of the area around Sally Port on the Garrison and come to the conclusion that it was worth a visit on a sunny morning. This was such a morning so, straight after breakfast, this is where I went! 

I only had to wait about 10 minutes before a Hummingbird Hawkmoth appeared, and I had just short of 10 minutes with this specimen before it disappeared. If I was a better photographer, I'd probably have managed to freeze those whirring wings somewhat better, but I'm quite pleased with the results anyway - which is why I'm showing multiple images!




Hummingbird Hawkmoth (Macroglossum stellatarum) - Sally Port
One gets the impression that if one of these meaty-looking beasts collided with you at speed, it would hurt. And isn't that proboscis amazing!

After this session, I went back to base for a coffee and took some shots of a Wren with a crane fly. Sadly, my camera settings were wrong and the ones of it seaizing the insect were blurred. The only one salvageable just shows legs protruding from its bill.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - the garden, Littleporth
As wet weather was forecast for the afternoon, I made the most I could of the morning by heading up to Peninnis once more. There were still reports of Wryneck coming in from Peninnis and I had yet to see one there. I arrived to find a gentleman who had just seen one, but lost it again. A search of the area revealed nothing.

In the distance, someone was stalking a bird atop a rock. I left him to it but took a distant shot before it departed as he closed in. It was yet another Lapland Bunting sighting!

Lapland Bunting (Calcarius lapponicus) - Peninnis
There were signs that the forecast rain was coming in soon and it was time to head back to base. As I was leaving the head, a couple of Great Black-backed Gull were having an altercation.

Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) - Peninnis
On reaching Porthcressa Beach a Shag was close to the shore and, rather than diving for food, was 'snorkelling' - a behaviour that I have not noted before in this species.

 
Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) - Porthcressa
The rain started when I reached Littleporth, virtually at the bottom of the garden of 'home'. I could not resist some more Stonechat photography.

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Littleporth

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Littleporth
Fortunately, the rain lasted less than two hours, and there were signs that the rest of the afternoon could brighten up considerably. It seemed that the best option was for me to stay locally, so I went down the path between the back of the property and the beach at around 15h00.

The intial result was yet more Stonechat shots - maybe this post should have carried a Stonechat warning at the outset?!

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Littleporth

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Littleporth
There was yet another behavioural aspect that I have not seen before, and that was Turnstones digging in the sand. They weren't just probing, but seriously digging. My shot of a bird with its head totally below surface level didn't come to much, but hopefully this next shot will indicate how seriously they were digging.

Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Littleporth
The wing pattern on these birds, coupled with the white back, when in flight, is delightful.

Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Littleporth
My main intention for this session was one of sitting in the rocks between Porthcressa and Littleporth beaches (known as Little Carn) to see what the rising tide might bring to me. This is a view from Porthcressa to Littleporth showing the rocks. Incidentally, the bottom of the garden of our base can be seen at the extreme right-hand side of the image and is the left-hand white wall atop the sea-wall. The two trees are a feature of the garden boundary.
 
view from Porthcress Beach towards Littleporth
My tactic of sitting in the rocks really paid off, although I wish that I'd had a cushion with me - my relatively recent loss of 12 kg weight has left me with a lack of padding to my backside! The birds seemed to be oblivious to my presence, as the rising tide brought them ever closer.

A Rock Pipit landed beside me and preened.


Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Little Carn

The Turnstones were the first waders to come close.


Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Little Carn

A Starling came to show off its finery

Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) - Little Carn

Finally, the Sanderlings arrived, and I had a wonderful session with them before I had to leave or risk getting marooned!




Sanderling (Calidris alba) - Little Carn
The day had ended on a high, and I was delighted.

Friday, 2nd October

This was to be our worst weather day, with extremely high winds causing all flights and sailings to the islands to be cancelled. Although there were sunny periods in the morning, the winds increased even further in the afternoon, and brought rain with them.

I ventured out in the morning, avoiding coastal paths and staying relatively local. Very little resulted. I was pleased to photograph a Stonechat in our garden - I reckon that not many people can say that!

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - the garden, Littleporth
By the western corner of Littleporth Beach a female of the species was obliging.
 
Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Littleporth
I got as far as Old Town and Lower Moors, with the only sighting that caused me to use the camera being a distant Little Egret in Old Town Bay.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Old Town Bay
The rest of the day was a total wash-out!

 

I shall save the rest of my report for Pt.3, to be published shortly.

In the meantime, thank you for visiting. I hope that there have not been too many Stonechat for you! Stay safe - - - - Richard

28 comments:

  1. Pete Woodruff will be in Stonechat heaven when he reads this. Superb report as always. A great selection of photos but the Hummingbird Hawkmoth wins for me. Excellent quality images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. The Hummingbird Hawkmoth session was probably the most satisfying for me in the days featured here, but with the 'sitting in rocks' session coming a close second. Strange though it may sound, the photo that I'm happiest with from a purely photographic point of view is that second Rock Pipit shot.

      Delete
  2. Marc beat me to the comments page, and was spot on with his 'Pete Woodruff will be in Stonechat heaven when he reads this'.

    Another excellent illustrated account of your Scillies trip, and no need for any Stonechat warnings for me.

    Take Care Stay Safe Richard/Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. It gives me great satisfaction to know that my Stonechat encounters meet with your approval!

      I hope that you and KT can stay safe and keep your spirits up in these difficult times.

      Delete
  3. Sencillamente espectacular, gran sesión!!! Enhorabuena Richard!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Tus amables palabras son muy apreciadas, Germán!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, absolutely amazing findings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. The Scillies is somewhere that never fails to provide delight.

      Delete
  5. This is one of those posts, Richard, where it is hard to know where to heap the praise most. First off let me say that I can't imagine anyone being other than thrilled with the Stonechat coverage, and not a little jealous I might add. For me the highlight among highlights is the close encounters with the shorebirds while sitting on your skinny posterior! You had the advantage of an incoming tide to force the birds farther up the beach, but even without that, I have found that sitting in one spot and becoming part of the landscape works every time. And, by the way, those shots of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth are gob-smacking too! And did I mention the performing pipits? Well done on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are extremely kind words indeed, David, and I really don't know how to respond to them other than to say 'thank you for your very much appreciated encouragement'. I draw a lot of inspiration from your own activities and output.

      Take great care and stay safe. We go back into lockdown on Thursday, and so my own activities will be very limited for at least a month, which is a bit frustrating as things have become a bit quiet in the garden lately.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous birds, photographer is the king. Well done Richard. I love Sanderling, Turnstone, Wren, Stonechat, well, they are excellent, but, I love the Hummingbird Hawkmoth, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I am delighted that you enjoyed the photos. Getting the Hummingbird Hawkmoth shots was extremely satisfying! Stay safe - it's a nightmare out there again! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    Excellent selection of pictures, I have never seen the hummingbird butterfly here, while on vacation in Sweden I saw one but before I had the camera ready it flew away, I think he laughed.
    Even the pillow was of no use that I had with me ... ;-))
    stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I do not know if something got lost in the translation, but I do not understand the reference to the pillow?!

      Take great care - it's getting silly out there again - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Magnificent set of photos and several birds that I have never seen. However I think my favourite is the common old starling, you have really caught its markings to perfection, The Humming-bird hawkmoth is always a challenge and one I enjoy taking on. We had one in the garden last week and I am in the middle of doing a blog now with some of the photos. It surprisingly had some blue on its wings which I have never noticed before.

    Hope you are coping with the lockdown, for us it has been much the same since the end of February and apart from missing a meal out we hardly notice it any more. Keep safe.

    Best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those photos you took of the Hummingbird Hawkmoth are superb, Diane, and the blue colouration is surprising to me too!

      We too are missing the occasional meal out, although we never frequently engaged in that delight. We are also missing the ability to 'pop out to the shops' to pick up fresh produce and inspiration for meals. A major downside for us is that everything we try to do seems to take twice as long as it used to. The worst aspect is that we have a daughter and granddaughter who are in extremely difficult circumstances that I won't go into, and we are not able to give them the level of support that we'd like to.

      My best wishes to you and Nigel - take care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I realise that it must be difficult for your daughter and granddaughter, you have pretty much explained the situation to me. It is very tough for some at present. We are lucky, retired and with a fairly big house and a large garden. Cheers,Diane

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your kind words, Diane. They are going through a particularly rough time at the moment. Lindsay and I, apart from worries about them, are doing fine, and consider ourselves very lucky compared to many people.

      Delete
  9. P.S. Forgot to say I love your header shot. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Richard, beautiful photos of the shore birds. The lapland bunting is my favorite, I never saw it. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline












    +++++


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. This was the first time that I had ever seen a Lapland Bunting, and I suspect that I will never see another one!

      Wishing you a super weekend too - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Ahhhh, I just love the smell of the salty air!

    As my Gini would say, "too many Stonechats is like saying too much garlic - there is no such thing!" That first Stonechat image with that warm light is really special!

    It's almost eerie to see your Sanderling images as we just watched that same species last week on a beach visit. You certainly found a nice variety of coastal species.

    All of that, and a Hawkmoth, too! Your photos are very good!

    Just like and actual trip to the coast, we are eager to return! (Oh, look - there will be a Part 3!)

    Gini and I are thrilled you and Lindsay were able to make this trip. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of contradicting Gini, I can't agree that there's no such thing as too much garlic, Wally. I use it a lot in my cooking, but only in a measured fashion. However, I can't see myself ever tiring of Stonechats!

      It seems most strange that we have both had the pleasure of being with Sanderling in recent weeks. They are one of my favourite shorebirds with their seemingly boundless energy.

      Hoping to hear that the political scene in your neck of the woods settles down soon and that progress can be made towards sorting out the mess that this world is in.

      Have a great week, and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hi Richard,
    this series with the most beautiful birds is also a feast for the eyes. Beautiful pictures of the European Stonechat and the Rock Pipit, but also the series of the hummingbird butterfly is from art and beautifully photographed. Nice is the wren with the prey :-)
    your sandpipers are also very expertly portrayed. I also really enjoyed this series. These are the things we enjoy in nature.

    Greetings, Helma
    Do stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to me that you have enjoyed this blog post, Helma, and thank you so much for saying so!

      Have a wonderful week, and take great care - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.