Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 8 October 2021

September In the Garden - 2021

I'm very much behind with all matters Blogger at the moment due to a recent return from the Isles of Scilly where the last few days were a little blighted by two days with no internet on the island and the ill health of one of the family. We then returned home to find that our electricity supply had failed with the distribution board tripping out, seemingly soon after our departure from home, and that we had three freezers and a fridge full of festering food, virtually all of which had to be disposed of. It then took a couple of days to clean down and decontaminate everything. We have now started re-stocking, so that we can eat!

I have already offered a blog post on my dragon hunting outings in September. This post features some of the observations in our garden for that month. From the header image that is there while this post is current, you will not be surprised to know that it includes - - a dragonfly!

Sunday, 5th September

It is not often that we get a Comma butterfly in our garden, so I was pleased to be able to get a few shots of this one. You can see the 'c-album' on the underwing that the scientific name refers to.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - garden
We get overspill from the bird feeders, some of which falls onto the soil and germinates. I tend to let some of the sunflowers grow, but usually weed out most of the other spillage. One plant had looked a little dofferent so, out of curiosity, I let it grow. It grew quite tall and then started producing very small, but beautiful, flowers. I think it was probably a linseed plant.
 
Linseed? - garden
That afternoon, while sitting in the conservatory, Lindsay and I noticed what, at first sight, appeared to be four white butterflies having a close-quarters altercation. We initially came to the conclusion that this was males wanting to mate with a female. The numbers soon built up and there were eight of them involved. It was probably around ten minutes before I realised that this was seven Small Whites mobbing a Brimstone butterfly - I have never seen such behaviour in the butterfly world before. As all this happened at probably over 5 metres distance, I did not manage to capture the event well but, hopefully, the following may convey something of the situation.

Small White (Pieris rapae) + Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (female) - garden
Eventually the Small Whites gave up the chase and the Brimstone rested, giving me time to get up to the top of the garden and get a few close-ups.

Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (female) - garden
Wednesday, 8th September

Red Admiral is one of our most common butterflies but is also one of the most spectacular. I find its underside just as appealing as its upper side.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - garden
Also common, and usually very apparent at this time of year, is the Garden Spider, which is one of UK's largest spiders. They string their large webs over considerable distances, often catching me in the face - to my discomfort! They are quickly on the scene to cocoon their captured prey to add to their larder.
 
Garden Spider (Araneus diadematus) - garden
Saturday, 11th September

Here's the upperside of the Red Admiral, photographed on this day.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - garden
Thursday, 16th September

The garden moth trap went out that night, and resulted in 40 moths of 12 species. The two favourites were a Frosted Orange (a 'lifer'), and Common Wainscot (2) purely because it has a subtle elegance.

Frosted Orange (Gortyna flavago) - from garden moth trap

Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) - from garden moth trap
The most interesting in some respects, however, were the 11 Lunar Underwing. I have only had this species on a few occasions, and never witnessed the huge range of colour forms. Here are a few of the eleven trapped to give you some idea - yes, that orange one has been confirmed as Lunar Underwing by an expert!
 
Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) - from garden moth trap
 
Friday, 17th September

I noticed several Common Green Shieldbug on one of our fuchsia bushes. They are sometimes known as stink bugs. Here's one of them.

Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina) - garden
While looking at these, I noticed a colourful small beetle-like insect. This turned out to be Pantilius tunicatus - one of the Miridae.

Pantilius tunicatus - garden
Tuesday, 21st September

I have no idea why I continue to get excited whenever we get a Crow visit the garden. They used to be a very scarce visitor, but lately they've become an almost weekly visitor. For whatever reason, here's this month's crow image!

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden  
Wednesday, 22nd September

In spite of my efforts to attract dragonflies and damselflies by installing a mini-pond last year, this was only the second time this year that we have seen a dragonfly settle in the garden.  At first, I took it to be a female Common Darter and was hoping that it would visit the pond and oviposit (although this is usually done in tandem with a male). However, on closer inspection it turned out to be an immature male. Although it was around for several hours, it never approached the pond and never settled anywhere photogenic. It didn't help either that I was busy painting the garden fence for much of the time and reluctant to get paint on the camera.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (immature male) - garden
Later that day, Lindsay and I had been watching a Grey Squirrel that had found a source of peanuts in their shells somewhere in the neighbourhood and was transporting them one-by-one to a stash somewhere else, with the fence at the bottom of our garden being on its route. It was moving at high speed and I thought that I'd missed with every shot, but found I'd actually captured it with one sequence with results that I'm quite pleased with. Here's my favourite.
 
Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden

That brings me to the end of this update. A few days later we were off to the Isles of Scilly for a family holiday. However, there were some birding highlights and these will feature in posts to come - when I have managed to sort out the just over three thousand frames I shot off (less than usual for this length of stay).

Until then, take good care of yourself, and Nature.


 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Absolutely wonderful subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what you can find in a small garden if you don't cover it in concrete and plastic, and don't keep it too tidy, Anne!

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard, :=)

    It was such a lovely surprise to see your comment this afternoon, Thank you for your visit. I'm so sorry for the lack of internet, on your holiday. and the horrid series of events on your return. :=( All that food going in the bin, I have also been there, and it's upsetting to say the least.

    I'm pleased that you managed to get a fabulous action shot of the squirrel. It really is a delightful image.It was also interesting to learn something new about Slugs, I didn't know that paint was part of their diet, but how annoying for you! We keep on learning new things, like the curious incident with the Small Whites. Lovely capture of the Brimstone, thankfully all in one piece after the mobbing. All your butterfly and moth images are an absolute joy to see, dragonflies,bugs and Crow included, and the violet Linseed flower is very pretty. As always I have enjoyed my visit so much.

    Take care Richard, Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst thing about losing all that food, Sonjia, was not losing the shop-bought stuff, which can easily be replaced - at a price, but losing all the ingredients and dishes that my wife and I had prepared ourselves and were looking forward to enjoying at a later date. We'll get there, but it might take some time to recover the seaonal stuff.

      Thank you so much for your kind and supportive comments, which are very much appreciated.

      Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Some fabulous insect photos as usual. I haven't managed to see Pantilius tunicatus-but an attractive mirid. Lots of colourful moths in autumn with various yellows, oranges & greens, though our most recent trapping was dominated by Box moths!

    Agree with your tentative ID of Linseed or Cultivated Flax-quite a common bird seed constituent. Some interesting plants can come up from bird seed. Nyger seems frequent & has attractive yellow flowers but gets knocked back by the first frosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pantilius tunicatus is said to be fairly frequent in Leicestershire, although the map doesn't show that many records. In spite of its beautiful colour, I suspect that it is easily overlooked. It seems that it might have been a bit out of place on a fuchsia.

      Box moth is not good news! I wouldn't mind seeing one 'in the flesh' but, hopefully, it would be just the one, and not too close to home.

      Thank you for supporting the Linseed ID. We gave up with Nyger when the Goldfinches decided, many years ago, that they preferred Sunflower hearts. We now have Sunflowers all over the garden - it seems that losing their husks doesn't deter them from germinating!

      Thank you for you visit, kind words and advice. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. An enjoyable and interesting tour through the garden via your images Richard. The Small White/Brimstone butterfly behaviour would have been a first for me too.

    I'm obviously sorry about the disruption to life during and returning from the Scillies. Hope things are or have returned to some normality by now, here's hoping for your sake.

    Kind Regards to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a repeat of that Small White and Brimstone incident a couple of days later, Pete, although only three whites were involved on that occasion. From my photos, however, I can see it was the same Brimstone! Maybe it was of a particularly obnoxious character?!

      We're getting back on track now, although we still have far less food than we did have. Direct Line were an absolute delight to deal with, and agreed settlement of the claim less than two days after submitting it.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Wow, the Grey Squirrel flying through air to eating peanut in its way, Richard, beautiful. And the Butterflies,, Spider, Moths and the Dragonflies, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, I was rather pleased with that squirrel shot. Usually I just get shots of them sitting eating.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    the power failure is a bad thing, all the beautiful food is spoiled and has to go, I hope that there is no more damage, I had a similar breakdown once, on vacation the water tank from the heater burst ... flood in the house ... now to your pictures, like before I am always enthusiastic about your dragonfly photos .... when I'm on the road I rarely find any that I can photograph but I can hear them laughing in the reeds when they see me ... ;-))
    nice post
    Greetings Frank
    P.S.
    did you send an email? it was just the mail I sent ..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, Frank, we have never had a flooded house. I think I'd much prefer the loss of food to sorting out the aftermath of a flood.

      I, myself, had to laugh at your idea that the dragonflies are sitting in the reeds laughing at you. Wonderful!!

      Yes I did get your email, and I'm sorry for not replying until now - I have had other things on my mind. I'm really pleased that you are so satisfied with that Sigma 60-600mm. I guess that I might be going down that route when my Sigma 50-500mm dies - or I might decide to go mirrorless instead?

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. You had a bit of a rough time of late, Richard. Being sick away from home is the worst thing of all and I hope it was nothing serious leading to thoughts of a premature end to your vacation. I also hope the afflicted family member has fully recovered. Then to return to the disaster at home was another punch to the solar plexus. I can only hope that your house insurance covered most of the damage, but that doesn't compensate for the emotional cost, does it? The incident between the Brimstone and the Common Whites (Cabbage Whites here) is really interesting. It makes you wonder what was going on and whether this is normal behaviour. I too am thrilled when crows visit the backyard, something that doesn't occur frequently. Finally, the shot of the squirrel is priceless! Best wishes to you and Lindsay, happy to be home with restocked freezers no doubt! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting back to normal now, thank you David. The house insurance had a GBP 100 excess on it but the insurance company have been wonderfully helpful and pleasant in the way they handled the claim. They've already notified us that payment is on its way. What we miss most is having access to the produce, meals and sauces that we prepared ourselves, and can't be replaced until we have time to prepare them once more, or until the ingredients come into season.

      The term Cabbage White in UK is a layman's term for either of two species - Large White and Small White - species that themselves would be relatively difficult for the layman to separate!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard,
    very sad to read that there is a family member in very bad health. This is always worrying :-(
    And then also come home and find that the electricity has gone out, so you can throw away all your food.
    Glad you have some nice pictures in your blog :-)
    That jumping squirrel is really fantastic hahahahaha....
    Many beautiful moths and the bug is also very nice to see.
    Be careful.

    Regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma. We are steadily getting back to normal, in health and in food!

      It was fun to watch that squirrel. It was really very fast.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Wow!!! Un reportaje genial, las fotos son todas maravillosas sobre todo esa ardilla en pleno "vuelo", magnífica!!! Enhorabuena amigo Richard, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Germán. ¡Estaba muy contento y sorprendido de obtener esa foto de la ardilla!

      Mis mejores deseos desde Inglaterra, donde las hojas ahora están cambiando de color y cayendo de los árboles - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. My apologies for the late entry! No viable excuse could be manufactured, just pure negligence. :(

    The opening image of the Comma is spectacular! Love the Common White and Brimstone interaction with what appears to be a finch (?) photo-bombing the whole thing.

    From butterflies to crows to moths to dragons to bugs - it is all delightful. Then, to top it off, a fabulous action shot of a scampering squirrel!

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay will manage to rest up after all you have been through of late. Our very best wishes are sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Wally. That finch is a House Sparrow. The Rhododendron in which it is lurking is their favourite gathering place, with the Honeysuckle on our boundary fence with next door coming a close second.

      Thank you for your kind words - we're getting there bit-by-bit. Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard, Sorry I am far behind in both blogging and commenting. We have had two short trips away where I have managed to get a number of photos, but I have not had the time to go through them and they are piling up on me. Maybe with winter approaching and less garden/kitchen work to do I will have time to sit at the computer.

    I am really sorry that one of the family has not been well but I hope by now that all is good again. I am also sorry to read the news about Titus John White, a shock for everyone I am sure. As for the freezers, I feel for you. One year when my Mum was breeding turkeys and the freezers were full of Christmas orders, she discovered (too late) that the gardener had switched them off to use the plug for other purposes. He had not switched them back on!!!

    Fabulous set of photos here and the squirrel caught in mid air is stunning.

    Have a great Sunday and I hope to be back blogging very soon. best wishes to you and the family, Fiane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my full sympathy with your being behind with blogging, Diane. I'm way behind too, and a long way off finishing processing my photos from the Scillies, although we have been back all but two weeks - so many other things to do!

      Take good care and stay sane (no, I did not mean to write 'safe'!) Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.