Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 15 December 2021

November Round-Up, Pt.2 - 16th to 30th November, 2021

The second half of November was, in terms of my birdwatching, even quieter than the first half, with my only trip out being on the last day of the month. It was not, however, without interest in the garden.

Tuesday, 16th November

Coal Tit is an occasional visitor to our garden. Sometimes we can go for months without seeing one, but at the moment we are seeing one most weeks. However, they tend to zoom in, grab a seed, and then immediately disappear to consume it - I tend to think of them as smash-and-grab artists. All this usually takes place at the top end of the garden, and I rarely manage a photo. On this occasion, one stopped momentarily outside my study window, and the camera was at the ready!

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - garden on 16th November, 2021
Thursday, 18th November

We had been having some fine sunsets around this time, and Lindsay called me through to the front of the house to see this one.

Sunset - from front of house on 18th November, 2021

Sunday, 21st November

We had a pleasant surprise this day with the arrival of a Pied Wagtail in the garden. Whilst this is a relatively common bird, it has been a very infrequent visitor to the garden. I am not sure whether this is a male or a female, as all the reference books I have show, and discuss, males in breeding and non-breeding plumage, and females in breeding plumage, but make no mention of females in non-breeding plumage and even mention confusion over this aspect! At first I had this down as a female, but I'm now inclined to think that it is probably a non-breeding male. Comments will be welcome!

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrelli) (male?) - garden on 21st November, 2021
Monday, 22nd November

The wagtail returned this day but was not photographed. We did, however, see Wren which is undoubtedly present more often than seen, and always a delight to behold.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden on 22nd November, 2021
The Viburnum was coming into flower and already filling that corner of the garden with its wonderful perfume.
 
Viburnum splendens - garden on 22nd November, 2021
Saturday, 27th November

One of life's greatest mysteries will be - how ever did a caterpillar get into the bath in our upstairs bathroom, when all the windows had been closed for weeks? I can only suggest that, as I had been doing some gardening over a couple of days, it had dropped onto me and I had brought it in on my clothing. I have not been able to positively identify this caterpillar, but think that it is probably the larva of a Dark Arches moth.

Dark Arches? (Apamea monoglypha?) - from the house on 27th November, 2021
Sunday, 28th November

Sadly, Song Thrush is in desperate decline and now rarely visits our garden. We did, however, have a very brief vist from one this day.

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) - garden on 28th November, 2021
Monday, 29th November

This was a remarkable day in that, in the morning, I was greeted by snow when I looked out of my study window.

view from my study window on 29th November, 2021
Robin put in an appearance. All snow needs a Robin!

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - garden on 29th November, 2021
Later, the skies brightened a little and the snow began to thaw. For a brief moment we had two Pied Wagtails together in the garden. I did not have time to check them out or take a photo and it didn't register whether they differed in plumage (i.e. whether the were a pair), but two together was a first.

I took a few photos of other common  birds.

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - garden on 29th November, 2021
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (male) - garden on 29th November, 2021

Tuesday, 30th November

The snow had all gone and I did spend some time trying to photograph a few birds in the garden. A Pied Wagtail found my garden mini-pond. I'm even less sure about the sex of this one, and it looks a little different to the one shown earlier in this post - although that may be just a trick of the light and the pose of the bird(s).

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrelli)  - garden on 30th November, 2021
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - garden on 30th November, 2021
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 30th November, 2021

I find that Carrion Crow can look quite menacing sometimes.

I took a late afternoon trip out to the nearby Longmoor Lake in the hope of finding some owls as I have, in the past, seen both Short-eared Owl and Barn Owl at this location at this time of year. This was my only trip out in the second half of the month.

The light was already fading by the time I got to the lake at around 15h00. Shortly after I arrived, the numerous geese started to depart in groups, each group shouting their intentions to each other before departing. This is behaviour that I have witnessed many times before at the end of the day.

departing Greylag Geese (Anser anser) - Longmoor Lake
It wasn't long before they were all gone. I continued along the lake towards an area where I'd seen owls before, stopping to try and photograph a distant Reed Bunting in the lakeside reeds. It was now 15h15 and light levels made it difficult enough to find the Reed Bunting with the binoculars, let alone through the camera viewfinder. After many attempts, I did, however, manage a record shot as shown in the heavily cropped and light-manipulated image below.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (female) - Longmoor Lake
A little further on I found some Wigeon.
 

Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (female + male) - Longmoor Lake
Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (male) - Longmoor Lake

I did not succeed in finding any owls and so started heading back past the lake. When I was about halfway along the lake, a cacophony of sound started building up to amazing levels and, to my utter surprise, all the geese returned to the lake. This is something that I have not witnnessed before. I'd assumed that when these birds had departed, just before sunset, they were heading off to an overnight roost. I'm now wondering if they departed to find their supper, before returning to roost on the water. This image, below, is just a small part of the returning birds.

Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) + Greylag Geese (Anser anser) - Longmoor Lake
This happened at 16h05 - it was much darker than this image would suggest! Ten minutes later it was dark enough that I had to use my head torch in order to pick my way back to my car without stepping in dog excrement, although I have to admit that this unpleasant factor was not as bad as on previous visits.

 

Thus ended a month in which I largely relied on my garden to maintain my wildlife interest. So far, in December, I have not fared much better, and the run-up to Christmas is not likely to improve that situation. However, the garden has been rather more interesting than usual, so I already have enough material for another blog post, which will probably appear between Christmas and New Year as I intend to take a short break from blogging, although I will try and visit your blogs.

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and that 2022 will bring some sanity to the world for us all - please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Best wishes - - - Richard

 

32 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful findings. Merry Christmas Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the exception of the Nuthatch, I'm pleased to say we have visits from all your garden birds, including the very rare - once only - Song Thrush.

    Take Care Stay Safe Richard. With our kind regards also to Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to know that you too are getting a good assortment of birds in the garden, Pete. I'm hoping that my next post will include one or two different species.

      With my very best wishes to you and KT - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos Richard. I was worried when I saw the snow that there was going to be a male Bullfinch there. Phewww! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. You've now put me in a difficult position - do I, or do I not, put that male Bullfinch in my next post? ;-}

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Lovely shots with my favourites being the Coal tit on the Cotoneaster & the close-up Greylag in flight. Thanks for sharing your photos & wish you & your family a safe Xmas & a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your advice and encouragement throughout the year, which has been very much appreciated. I hope that you, and yours, have a great Christmas and that 2022 is a happy and healthy year for you - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Maravillosos momentos has captado Richard, he disfrutado mucho viendo este reportaje. Te deseo una "Feliz Navidad" y un próspero "Año Nuevo" siempre rodeado de aves en medio de la Naturaleza. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saludos Germán. A medida que envejezco, se acerca el día en que cuelgue mi pesada cámara con una lente grande y me uno a ti como usuario de una cámara compacta. Mientras tanto, cuídese bien y manténgase a salvo, pero sobre todo, tenga una Navidad fabulosa y un 2022 lleno de naturaleza - - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Sundown at your house is spectacular, Richard. I am glad that Lindsay attracted your attention to it. The star of the show in this post is the wren. What an adorable little creature, and a great shot! I also find it heartwarming to see all those CANADA Geese! I think they could rival the dogs for unwanted poop in all the wrong places! Winter has disappeared here. Yesterday it rained and was eight degrees. Right now it is twelve and for the next several days the forecast is for above freezing temperatures. We have primulas blooming at the front of the house. Crazy! And disturbing too. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do see some very beautiful sunsets from the front of the house in the autumn, David, and I do sometimes photograph them.

      In my experience, the poop of vegetarian animals is not nearly as unpleasant as that of carnivores and, although geese can make a great mess, I don't find it particularly offensive. Dogs however are a totally different issue.

      We too are having weather which is up-and-down like a yoyo. We had a very cold spell by UK standards recently (-7° during the day) and within a few days it went up to +16°. It is now quite grey and misty, although back to 'normal' temperatures for mid-December and is forecast to stay misty for a few more days. It seems that it's the instability of the weather that global warming is causing that's giving the most problems currently. At least we have been lucky enough not to have had the devastating extremes that many places have suffered.

      My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, what a fantastic Christmas header photo. So for you and all your loves ones I do wish you the same health and a optimistic 2022. you also show us some great photos of birds you encounterd.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. I have very much enjoyed your wonderful blog posts in 2021, and look forward to your offerings in 2022. I am hoping that you enjoy good health and do not have any more enforced breaks! Stay safe and have a wonderful festive season - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    I also noticed the robin and the snow after thinking about it for a while, whenever there is snow on us I see the robins .., they are probably there beforehand and I don't see them ;-)) For you and your loved ones a nice and, above all, healthy Christmas. I'll do a post before Christmas with pictures taken with the new lens ..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow did not stay with us for long, Frank, but it does seem that there is a possibility that we might enjoy a 'white Christmas' this year. I shall keep my fingers crossed as we intend to have our usual Christmas Day picnic lunch in the countryside.

      Thank you for your kind words throughout the year. I hope that your Christmas is a wonderful one and that you too stay safe and healthy.

      I look forward to snowy photos from you with that new lens - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. The iconic image of a wren with snow in the background is spectacular!

    Your collection of "garden birds" is really impressive. Wrens are among our very favorite birds. They all seem to have attitudes multiple times larger than their physical form. Totally unafraid!

    That is quite the special sunset view!

    All here is good. Our grandkids gave us a cold for Christmas! Thankfully, the doctor confirmed it as a "common cold" and nothing exotic. Still miserable, though. On the mend now. Enough that we're able to get out for short bits in the mornings. Soup and sleep have done wonders.

    We're busy preparing for a family Christmas event and Gini and I send you and Lindsay wishes for Peace, Joy and Love at this special time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear of the misplaced generosity of your grandchildren, Wally. Not the sort of Christmas present one wishes for, but it could have been worse! I hope that you both are continuing to mend and will be back to full strength before Christmas and that family event.

      We're 'partially celebrating' Christmas tomorrow, when our daughter and granddaughter come to visit us for macaroni-cheese - our granddaughter doesn't do Christmas.

      Have a wonderful Christmas. May 2022 be filled with health and happiness and an abundance of wildlife for you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos in the snow. Merry christmas and a happy new year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I hope that your Christmas is a happy one, and wish you a healthy and better 2022, filled with wonderful wildlife.

      Delete
  11. Absolutely stunning birds, and a lots of snow, beautiful. Festive seasons to you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, I hope that you and the family have a great Christmas, and that 2022 is a better one for all! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hi Richard, Stunning set of photos, wish a wren would visit us! Sorry I am struggling to keep up, I seem to be on the go all day and just do not have the time to blog very much.
    Wishing you both Happy holidays and all the best for 2022, may we all get back to living some sort of normal life very soon!! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Diane, our Wren seems to have departed. I hope that it's safely established somewhere else. I too am having great difficulty keeping up with things. In my case I think it's a just a matter of me having become a bit slow in my old age!

      Thank you for your kind wishes. I hope that you both have a great Christmas, and that 2022 brings much more stability to life for everone. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Very beautiful images ... Happy 2022

    Stay safe my friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. My very best wishes to you for 2022 - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Hello Richard,I'm so pleased that you were able to capture a lovely photo of the Coal Tit, before it flew away.The little Wren is so adorable, and your photo is splendid. Beautiful images of all your garden birds the frequent visitors, and the not so frequent ones, like the Nuthatch and Pied Wagtail. I have yet to get a reasonably good photo of a Pied wagtail, as they tend to fly a few yards away each time I try to approach them, and I never see them in my garden. The caterpillar in the bath, reminds me of when I found an earwig in my breakfast mug. I had been gardening the previous day, so like your caterpillar I must have brought it into the house on my clothing. I haven't forgotten about your medication Richard, but before I answer, I must mention the glorious sunset photo, which is truly beautiful.

    I don't mind at all to tell you the name of my medication, and it isn't the same as yours. The one I'm still taking is Neurontin, also called Gabapentin, but your medication Naproxen could still be the cause of your failing eyesight. Nearly all drugs have side effects and not everyone is affected by them, or in the same way, in fact this is the first time I have ever had problems, but I was only five weeks into taking them when I first started noticing burred vision, Which doesn't seem to be your case.

    Richard I'm afraid that I haven't been very helpful, but wish you and yours all the very best in the coming year, and am now looking forward to your next post. :=)
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonjia. One of the advanatages of having a small garden is that the birds are never very far away. All my garden bird photos are taken through the glass from inside our house - either from in my study or from our conservatory - so I do not have the problem of trying to approach them and causing them to fly away. I am,however, considering setting up my portable hide in the garden so I can get some better close-ups of the smaller birds.

      Thank you for your kind response to my query about your medication. It WAS helpful, and I have decided that, from tomorrow, I will start to try and wean myself off the anti-inflammatory painkillers and see how I get on. I don't want to trouble my doctor at the moment as he's got enough problems looking after people with far more serious issues than my own!

      I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that your own change of medication continues to improve your situation. Wishing you all the very best for 2022 - - - Richard

      Delete
  15. Do not worry Richard!!! I´m Ana, Anna, Anita, Anuska haha!!!.. Happy new year... Take care and be happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and do better the next time I visit your wonderful blog, Ana! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  16. Hi Richard,
    you have a beautiful header above your blog :-)
    Also for you and your loved ones a very beautiful but above all healthy 2022 and with many beautiful photo moments.
    This post also contains beautiful pictures of both winter and sunny weather. I enjoyed it.

    Still be careful.
    Sincerely,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Helma!

      Thank you for your kind words.

      I hope that your 2022 is filled with good health, happiness, and much wildlife.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.