Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 3 March 2023

Breaking New Ground - last week of February, 2023

header image (while this post is current):- Fisher's Mill Pool, RSPB Middleton Lakes on 23rd February, 2023

With Lindsay's situation continuing to improve, we were both confident that I could safely leave her for more than the two or three hours that I'd limited myself to lately, and go a little further afield. It also meant that I was not having to spend so much time keeping the household afloat, and could start trying to catch up with projects around the house and garden that needed attending to. The result was that, although I did get out twice in the seven days, I spent little time observing what was happening in the garden.

Wednesday, 22nd February                    Garden

This was the last day that I had recorded a Redpoll in the garden - until today (3rd March). However, we also had an unwelcome visitor in the form of a Brown Rat. I had been rather lax in sweeping up spilled seed from the feeders and this was, no doubt, the result of my failure. I quickly swept up but, unfortunately the rat was seen again yesterday (2nd March).

Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) - garden on 22nd February, 2023

Thursday, 23rd February                    RSPB Middleton Lakes

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I'd met my old pal Mick Smith at Hicks Lodge that week. Mick, and his wife Pauline, had been extolling the virtues of Miiddleton Lakes Nature Reserve. I have never been to this reserve before, although it is less than 20 miles (30 km) from my home. The reserve is just south of Tamworth on the west side of the River Tame. I have, however, in the distant past (2011), been to Dosthill on the opposite side of the river to photograph Short-eared Owls.

For the first time since Lindsay's operation in esarly December, I made myself a picnic lunch and headed off for a short 'day out'. Middleton Lakes seemed like an obvious choice.

It was a relatively easy journey there and I parked in the RSPB car park, headed into the courtyard at nearby Middleton Hall to check what might be there for a future visit by Lindsay and to avail myself of the ablutions there (none on the RSPB reserve). 

I'd armed myself with a map of the reserve that I'd downloaded from the internet and, having enjoyed a short introduction to the reserve by a volunteer at the reserves entrance, set off into the reserve. 

RSPB Middleton Lakes Map
I feel that I should point out that the signage in the reserve is not great and, without the map, I would almost certainly (1) got lost, and (2) missed a lot. 

It is approximately 1 km from the car park entrance, along the Woodland Trail, to the first lake, and I had not travelled far along the trail before I was greeted by a Dunnock. A Dunnock may not be the most colourful of birds but I think the feathering of the side of the face is wonderful.

Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Woodland Trail, Middleton Lakes
A very short distance further on, there is a small pond on the left with feeders beside it. I stopped to survey the area just before I got to the feeders as there were youngsters busy watching the birds on the feeders and the rats on the ground. It was all very common fare, and I didn't attempt any photography there.

Further on, on the right, there is another area with views over some water and reed beds. Here there is also a set-up which is desctibed (if I remember correctly) as a 'bird kitchen', where people put out seed on an arrangement of tree stumps to attract the birds. I spent a little while here, but nothing of interest was seen.

It was quite a bit further on that I came to what is described as 'Pooh Stick Bridge'. I stayed here a while as Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was being seen here on a virtually daily basis, but usually early in the morning. However, the best that I could manage was a shot of a busy Nuthatch.

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - Pooh Stick Bridge, Middleton Lakes
The trail crosses the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal at Fisher's Mill Bridge. Here, people had been leaving bird sees on the bridge parapet and this was attracting mainly Robins, and Great Tits, but some Reed Buntings were showing an interest and being quite bold.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - Fisher's Mill Bridge, Middleton Lakes
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (female) - Fisher's Mill Bridge, Middleton Lakes
It's only about 50 metres from Fisher's Mill Bridge to Fishers Mill Pool, at a point where I took the shot that is the header to this blog while this post is current. Here, although the birds were all distant, the noise being made by the gulls was tremendous!

I turned northwards here, seeing little of interest as I passed along the west side of Fisher's Mill Pool. I stopped at the West Scrape blind when I reached the area known as Jubilee Wetlands, but again saw little.

Part way along the west side of Jubilee Wetlands, a pair of Greylag Geese flew in and landed with a group of their congeners on the grass to the west of the trail. The second image, below, serves as a warning not to stand under flying geese!

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - by Jubilee Wetlands, Middleton Lakes

As I approached the northern end of Jubilee Wetlands, I noticed a large number of swans on the far side of Jubilee Wetlands North. Through my binoculars, I was surprised to see the furthest and largest group seemed to have very yellow bills. My immediate thought was Whooper Swan. A birder was coming from the opposite direction and I asked him if I was correct in my identification. He responded that he wasn't sure, but had been looking for Bewicks Swans. While we were busy talking, the swans took to the air and I grabbed my camera and took some shots as they flew past. I commented that I thought that it was the first time that I'd seen Whooper Swans in flight. Later, I was asked by persons on a few occasions if I'd seen anything interesting, and I'd replied that the most interesting thing for me had been the Whoopers. I was, therefore, highly disappointed and extremely embarrased when, on reviewing my shots when I got home, I found that these swans were only Mute Swans! How I'd managed to see yellow bills I don't know - it must have been a trick of the light. Anyhow, I did manage to get some acceptable shots of the Mute Swans.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Jubilee Wetlands, Middleton Lakes
A little further on, I found a Coot in a small pool of water.
 
Coot (Fulica Atra) - Jubilee Wetlands North, Middleton Lakes
Near to the start of the track that leads to North Pool and The Lookout, I could not resist a shot of a Reed Bunting in its more natural environment.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - near The Lookout, Middleton Lakes
From the path to The Lookout, I photographed a nearby lone Great Crested Grebe.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - near The Lookout, Middleton Lakes
I spent a while in The Lookout but, although there were many birds visible, they were all beyond the reach of my camera lens, and nothing out of the ordinary was spotted.

I made my return journey down the east side of the reserve, and the trail runs alongside the River Tame for most of its length. I did not bother photographing the Mute Swan in the river, but did try, rather unsuccessfully, to photograph some Teal which, surprisingly, didn't fly off as soon as I was in sight. I only managed to salvage one shot from here. Sadly, that shot features an item of detritus, not spotted at the time of taking it.

Teal (Anas crecca) (male + female) -River Tame, Middleton Lakes
Reaching the eastern end of the seasonal trail that crosses between Fishers Mill New Reedbed and Jubilee Wetlands, I stopped at the junction, and just missed getting a shot of a Treecreeper.

Turning down the seasonal trail there was a Kestrel in the distance ahead of me. Sadly, I was shooting straight into the light, so I only got a very distant record shot, and can't tell for certain whether this was a male or female bird, but I suspect the latter.

Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) - from seasonal trail, Middleton Lakes
I went a short way down the seasonal trail and stopped at the East Scrape blind to see what was visible. There were several Shoveler in view, but not much else.

Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) (male + female) - by East Scrape, Middleton Lakes
Wanting to see as much of the reserve as possible, I turned back, and then took the footbridge that crosses the River Tame to Dosthill Nature Reserve. I had a quick scan about from the top of the bridge and decided that Dosthill would have to wait until another day. Coming back off the bridge, I continued round the east and south sides of Fisher's Mill Pool, seeing absolutely nothing of interest.

Back at Fisher's Mill Bridge, a squirrel was looking for a snack, and a Dunnock posed nicely in a nearby bush.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - Fisher's Mill Bridge, Middleton Lakes
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Fisher's Mill Bridge, Middleton Lakes

I stopped at the bird kitchen for a while, and spent a short while photographing a Blue Tit.

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - the 'bird kitchen', Middleton Lakes
Opposite this area, there is a stream that runs beside the trail. Here, a Grey Wagtail flew past, and I failed to locate it again.

I got back to my car after just under four hours on the reserve. Although I had not seen or photographed anything outstanding, it had been a very enjoyable time. The reserve is full of promise, and I look forward to returning in the not too distant future, and taking things at a more relaxed pace. My thanks, again, to Mick and Pauline Smith for inspiring me to visit this place.

Friday, 24th February                    Garden

The numbers of birds visiting the garden have thinned out, almost certainly being put off by the frequent visits by the Sparrowhawk. I have, therefore, had limited opportunities for garden photography.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) - garden on 24th February, 2023
In our front garden, a pair of Goldfinch were canoodling in the top of our small Pink Pagoda Mountain Ash, staying stationary and just making facial contact for a least twenty minutes.
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 24th February, 2023
Saturday, 25th February                    Garden

After a long absence, the female Pied Wagtail made a brief return visit this day, but I only managed a rear-end view from the kitchen window.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - garden on 25th February, 2023
To our delight, we are seeing Wren more frequently recently. Here's a shot of Wren in a fuchsia which, after many years, now seems to have been killed off by the extended cold spell earlier this winter.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden on 25th February, 2023
Sunday, 26th February                    Kelham Bridge ; Normanton le Heath

An early afternoon visit to Kelham Bridge started off quite well as I was hearing the chatter of Fieldfare as I entered the site. I only managed photos of one bird and that was with difficulty as it was in a tree with another tree in front of it and I had difficulty in finding a gap to shoot through.

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - Kelham Bridge NR
Things then went rapidly down hill as, when I got nearer to the first hide, the tranquility of the day was shattered by the sound of unsilenced trail bikes. There were two of these machines which were on a circuit and passing at high speed within about 20 metres of the hide. Unsurprisingly there were no birds seen in the vicinity.

I didn't stay long, but moved on to the second hide. Here, it was much quieter, but there was little to see. Three pairs of Gadwall stayed distant, as did a lone Little Grebe, and the only other birds on the water were Mallards. However, the sun was shining, and a drake Mallard is a truly handsome duck - especially when in sunlight.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male) - Kelham Bridge NR
After about three quarters of an hour, I gave up and was pleased to find, on returning to the first hide, that the idiots on bikes had gone and peace had returned, as had a few birds. Contrary to my principles, all I have to offer from this stop is a shot of a woodpecker on a feeder - I felt I needed to add something to the account of this visit!

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - Kelham Bridge NR
I chose to make a short diversion on my way home, taking in Redburrow Lane from Normanton le Heath. I was disappointed to see that it was likely that some poor child had lost it's favourite teddybear. I hope that it was reclaimed from its seat before the rain set in that night.
 
Redburrow Lane, Normanton le Heath
I took a short walk along the lane when I got to the barn, and was enchanted by the song of a Song Thrush that was atop the derelict barn which used to be home to both Little Owl and Barn Owl before half the roof collapsed. 
 
Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) - Redburrow Lane, Normanton le Heath
Tuesday, 28th February                    Garden

The weather on this last day of February, was pretty grim, with rain for most of the day. It did not, however, stop us having a rare visit from a female Reed Bunting. I managed to get a few (much manipulated) shots of it through the rain-spattered window on my study by holding the lens close to the glass.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (female) -garden on 28th February, 2023
The Sparrowhawk was still visiting, and I got a number of shots, including this one of it having lost its composure, and looking slightly less manacing than usual. 

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) - garden on 28th February, 2023
 

Thus ended February. March is now upon us and I will endeavour to produce another blog post in a week or so's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

16 comments:

  1. Hello Richard
    I myself keep poultry, chickens, quails and sometimes pheasants in the garden for rearing, I have this rat problem all the time, where there is food, the rats are not far away, I have already lost several animals as a result. The shot of the falcon is a pity, it's always nice to see when it makes its shaking flight in the air... and you shouldn't walk under geese that are flying... I've noticed that, the sparrow hawk makes a sublime impression...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that you kept birds, Frank. That is quite a menagerie you have there! I am sorry to hear that the rats have caused you to lose some of your livestock. At the moment, it seems that we have just the one rat, but I fear that it will soon be breeding and the problem get worse. I have a humane rat trap that needs repairing, and that might be a job for me tomorrow. Maybe I can catch it and take it to a far-away place!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Really good to see and hear you are 'breaking new ground' Richard, and that Lindsey's progress continues to improve, so making you able to do so.

    Kind Regards Richard, and hope you continue your recovery Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. My excursions are now on hold again as the weather here is none too good - very dull and cold - and I've got too many domestic things to sort out.

      Other than that, things continue to improve.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. It is always a treat to receive good news and today you offered us a double dose!

    First and most importantly, it sounds as thought Lindsay is making excellent progress! We hope that continues and look forward to her results in the next marathon.

    Second, the natural world rejoices at your return! What an outstanding collection of images you have provided for us to enjoy. That first Dunnock photograph is superb at showing the feather detail! My favorite is probably the Reed Bunting in the - reeds. (Okay, suffice it to say all the rest are favorites, too. Each has its unique appeal. Even the rat.)

    We continue our daily efforts to ignore politics, wars, pestilence and mean people. Swamp and forest offer peace and quiet.

    Gini and I hope this new week brings good things to Sir Richard and Lady Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally. Lindsay and I are both bolstered by your kind words of support.

      I can't find swamp or mature forest, but here the odd boggy area and woodland suffice in offering remedies to your mentioned discomforts.

      I too am hoping this week bring good things as, tomorrow, I'm due to get a new camera and lens in switching from Nikon to mirrorless Canon. I hope that your week will be equally (or even more) exciting.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard :=)
    Your Dunnock and Wren captures are super, yes, they are little brown birds, but they are such little beauties,Your unwelcome brown visitors, the Brown Rat, and the Sparrowhawk are undesirables, and I hope they go elsewhere. to find food, and out of your garden for good, although your photos of the Sparrow Hawk are fabulous. I sometimes see Field Mice on my balcony but they don't make a habit of reappearing.., because I also brush, and mop the floor of my balcony whenever I see them..

    Lovely capture of the Great-spotted Woodpecker, Blue-tit, and Grey.Squirrel. Do you know that people are being encouraged to eat the flesh of the Grey Squirrel as a culling exercise in the UK?

    I hope Lindsey continues to improve, and I send you both my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem I have with little brown birds, Sonjia, is with those that I can't identify because they look similar to the next little brown bird. Dunnock, Wren, and a few others, however, are just a delight to behold (and photograph!).

      The rat is a problem that I could do without and, if it persists, I have now broken out a humane rat trap and will deploy it, and then transport the rat to a location a long way away. However, I'd be disppointed if we never saw a Sparrowhawk. I just get a bit concerned when they visit on a daily basis. Fortunately for our other birds, it doesn't seem to catch one very often, but the birds get wise, and stay away. Eventually it gets to the point where there are few birds visiting, and the Sparrowhawk goes away too.

      I was not aware that people in UK are being encouraged to eat squirrel. The information sounds more like it originated in a scaremongering output from one of the tabloid newspapers than a reality.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Another set of lovely photos. Good to hear things are looking up for you both. Looks like winter is about to return. Take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. Yep - we have a snow and ice warning out for tomorrow! Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard: Sorry to be a little late coming to the party but we spent the weekend away in Algonquin Provincial Park, enjoying glorious weather and great birding. I didn't take an iPad or lap top with me so I was out of touch, but we were so busy I wouldn't have had internet time anyway. So glad to hear that Lindsay is making such good progress and that you are venturing farther afield. Great series of images, especially the close up of the Dunnock. Every so often Miriam will make a quilt in various shades of brown and beige and the result is always very pleasing. It's not always essential to have bright colours. I am thinking of running a course, called Swan ID 101.......just sayin'. Shall I sign you up? Best wishes to both of you - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that you are getting around so much, David, and enjoying life and Nature so fully.

      I think that you'd better sign me up for that Swan ID course, and put me down for the Gull ID course too, while you're at it!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, glad things are improving more and more for Lindsay. That you can go out farther and farther is a good sign. The place you went to vissit seems great to me. A lot to see as you show us here. The unwelcome visitor in your garden is dreadful. I hope you will get rid of it soon.
    I read your reaction on the blog of David you are going to get a new camara? Congratulations!
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. I have decided that I need a camera set-up that is not so heavy and have taken the opportunity to buy a mirrorless camera body and a much lighter lens. This will end up as less than half the weight of the set-up I currently use. It should have been delivered today, but it now looks as if I will not get it until tomorrow or the day after! It is going to be a big learning curve for me as I will be changing from Nikon to Canon. I could be producing rubbish for a while!

      Thank you for your visit - my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.