Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 9 September 2023

Catchup Time Pt.4 - 18th June to 6th July

Header image (while this post is current) - Comma in our garden on 6th July, 2023  

I pick up my Catchup series with a post that starts with observations after my return from my Norfolk trip, which has previously been reported on.

Sunday, 18th June          Garden

Meadow Brown is a common butterfly, but far from common in our garden - without checking my records, I'm not sure if we have actually seen one in the garden before this year. 

Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) (male)  - our garden
I let a number of plants of Garlic Mustard grow each year, although I am aware that they are particularly invasive. However, they are the favoured food plant of the larvae of the Orange-tip butterfly. This year, I only found around eight Orange-tip caterpillars. This one was a little different in that it had dark lines round its body instead of being monotone green. I am reasonably certain that it is still an Orange-tip, however.

Orange-tip (Maniola jurtina) (larva) - our garden

Monday, 19th June          Ashby Canal, Snarestone

I was booked to lead a walk for the Blackfordby Wildlife Group, on Tuesday 20th June, to look for wildlife on the Ashby Canal by Snarestone, the key target being the very localised White-legged Damselfly. This is my favourite damselfly species. Having not been there for a long while, I thought that I should check it out with a brief visit the day before the walk. The day was not ideal as it was quite windy and there was only occasional sunshine. Photography was challenging.

The first damselfly I found was the target species!

White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes) (male) -  Ashby Canal, near Snarestone
Nearby was a Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone

I saw a few of these as I walked down the towpath. As expected, Banded Demoiselle were also present.

Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone

There were also a few butterflies around.

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) (male) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone

It was good to see that, in spite of the less than ideal weather, White-legged Damselfly was the most numerous species that I found. The second image, below, shows just how 'hammer-headed' this species is.

White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes) (male) -  Ashby Canal, near Snarestone
As I headed back along the towpath, a juvenile rabbit came scurrying towards me. I stood still and it came quite close before spotting me and bounding away.

Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) (juvenile) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone
I watched it go down the towpath until it stopped, looked around for a while, and then approached me once more. This time it stopped briefly in front of me before heading away again and disappearing into the hedge on the landward side of the towpath.

Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) (juvenile) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone
I continued back towards the car park, keeping my eyes open on the base of the hedge as I went along, and found the young rabbit skulking right beside the path. It didn't move when I stopped to photograph it. 

Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) (juvenile) - Ashby Canal, near Snarestone
As the canal towpath is popular with dog-walkers, I don't fancy this young rabbit's chances of a long life.

In the event, the poor weather forecast for the following day turned into a dire one, with strong winds and heavy rain, and the walk was cancelled, but I'd had an interesting time checking it out.

Wednesday, 21st June          Garden

The opportunities to photograph dragonflies in our garden are few and far between and, as I write this, this day was the only opportunity I had for such an activity this year.  A female Common Darter came and sat on the dead flower head of a California Poppy in an awkward position for photography, and these are the best that I could manage.


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - our garden
Friday, 23rd June          Garden

We were now seeing good numbers of recently fledged birds visiting the garden and this is always a fascinating time. Immature Blue Tits have a much greyer appearance than the adults.

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus

) (immature) - our garden

Sunday, 25th June          Garden

The Jackdaw that visited this day, for a change, stopped somewhere where I could get a shot through the glass of my study window.

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - our garden

Monday, 26th June          Garden

Happily, for our regular garden avian visitors, it had been many weeks since we had last seen a Sparrowhawk in our garden. However, one visited this day, although it went away empty-taloned. I can't see enough detail in my photo to determine the sex of this bird, but I think it was a male by the orange visible on the neck.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) - our garden
That evening, I put out the moth trap.

A few weeks back (in mid-August), I commented on the blog of a young Canadian lad that I was concerned at him netting dragonflies and holding them by the legs as I feared that it would damage their legs - which are essential to a dragonfly's ability to catch prey. My good friend, David Gascoigne, noted my comment and responded with the words ("I saw your comment and I share your concern about handling dragonflies, or anything else for that matter. We miss lots of stuff since it never lands, but we will never go out with the intention of capturing odenates, butterflies or other small creatures.") that got me thinking long and hard about my own activities, specifically relating to moth-trapping. This involves attracting moths to light by an apparatus that causes them to fall into an area where there are egg-boxes that they can tuck themselves into until the following morning. In the morning, after being recorded, they are then released into a quiet area where they can rest until the following evening. Interesting specimens, however, are potted and placed in the fridge for a while until I can photograph them. 

Very occasionally there are casualties. On two occasions I have had hornets in the trap and they took their toll on the occupants. Loss of a limb sometimes happens, but it is extremely rare for a moth not to survive and fly away to freedom after its release. Following David's comment, I feel a little uncomfortable about continuing with this activity, although I find it very interesting - and how else does one get to see creatures that, for the most part, are nocturnal and masters at hiding themselves away in the daytime.

My current thoughts are that I will continue, but on a far less frequent basis, and with even more caution for the creatures' wellbeing.

Having said my piece, here are a few of what I found to be the more interesting moths this night - none of them rare, but all delightful and infrequent to our garden.

Burnished Brass (Diachrysia chrysitis) - from garden moth trap

Miller (Acronicta leporina) - from garden moth trap

Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) - from garden moth trap
Wednesday, 28th June          Garden

We have been fortunate enough to have been getting fairly frequent visits by Bullfinch this year, with often a pair showing up. We were hopeful of seeing youngsters and on this day our wish came true, although the photos obtained were not the best.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (juvenile + male) - our garden
Friday, 30th June          Garden

Carrying on with the juvenile birds theme, this juvenile Goldfinch posed nicely outside my study. Currently, Goldfinch is the most numerous bird visiting our garden with most of them being juveniles, some of which are just beginning to show traces of adult plumage. 

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) (juvenile) - our garden
Saturday, 1st July          Garden

From my study window this day, I spotted the strangest juvenile bird that I have ever observed. It was a Woodpigeon and, to my mind, it didn't look as if it was developed enough to fly - but it was! That bill looks very odd!


Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) (juvenile) - our garden
Monday, 3rd July          Garden
 
This day I managed a slightly better shot of a juvenile Bullfinch, although still not on a natural perch.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (juvenile) - our garden

The Jackdaw chose a rather more natural-looking place to pose, however.

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - our garden

Wednesday, 5th July          Garden

Relaxing in the conservatory after lunch, Lindsay spotted a lacewing on the outside of the glass. I went out and took some shots with my camera. I'm rather pleased with the result and will be keeping my eyes open for reflection-shot opportunities like this in future.
 
Lacewing (Chrysoperla carnea agg.) - our garden

Thursday, 6th July          Garden and House

This year has been a good year for Comma butterflies in our garden, and I can never resist trying for photos.
 
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - our garden

Lindsay found a small ladybird on the wardrobe in our bedroom. She commented that it had cows on its back! This was one of the forms of the Harlequin Ladybird. At one time there was great consternation about the presence of this invader from the continent, but I get the impression that it is of less concern these days. I certainly was happy to set it free, unharmed. When I looked at my photos I could see what she meant by the 'cows'. Given that this ladybird was probably less than 6mm long, I am amazed by Lindsay's eyesight.

Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis f. spectabilis) - our garden
Earlier in the year, a pair of Stock Doves had been regular visitors to our garden. However, we had not seen one for rather a long time so I was pleased when this one arrived.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - our garden


 
This brings me to the end of this post. The following day we headed off to Hampshire for a week in the New Forest - a wonderful stay that I have already reported on .

My next post will probably be another Catchup, and feature the second half of July and a chunk of August, as I did not get out much for a long time after our return from the New Forest.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

18 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying catching up with your catchups.

    A plethora of pleasing pictures to peruse.

    I'm fascinated with the texture of the Orange-tip larva. Thank you for including images of the Jackdaw lately. It seems to me many photographers consider similar birds "not worthy" of their time to photograph since they are rather common and not colorful. All birds are equally attractive to me.

    So many images to savor! Coffee is sweeter and my day is better having viewed your post, Richard. Thank you for sharing the beauty you encounter.

    Gini and had a terrific morning yesterday filled with odes, unusual flowers, migratory birds ... you know, a typical day in Paradise.

    We truly wish all the best to you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely champion in the alliteration-stakes, Wally!

      I'm comfortable in the knowledge that all living creatures, be they 'common' or 'rare', are a source of wonderment to me, and my photography hobby is a means of getting to know them better.

      I am now eagerly awaiting a blog post from you, featuring your morning of 8th September.

      Our own activities have been severely limited following a catastrophic failure with our car on September 1st which we were lucky to escape from unscathed physically (if not mentally). It now needs a part that the manufacturer does not have in stock anywhere in the world! We've been told that we could be waiting for months, and the car is only 7 years old and from a major manufacturer. We are having to rely on our all-electric Smart which only has a range of about 80 miles. Sadly, charging points are a bit thin on the ground in these parts.

      Best wishes to you and Gini from UK where, it seems, our heat-wave will come to and end in a couple of days.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Un precioso reportaje, me ha gustado mucho. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole of them were are beautiful images, Richard, your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I hope that you are feeling a bit cooler now. This heat must have been very difficult for you. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Some lovely photography Richard, particularly the White legged Damselfly portraits and those Bullfinch shots. Nice to see a juvenile Bullfinch. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a juvenile Bullfinch visiting alone on a several times a day basis, Marc, until the week before last, but it has not been seen for a while now. I just hope that the Sparrowhawk that now seems to be visiting regularly is not responsible for its absence.

      I consider myself very lucky to have White-legged Damselfly 10 minutes down the road from me. Sadly, although they are my favourite damselfly, I only managed to get out and see them twice this year. Such is life!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. A beautiful collection. Richard, Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I hope that your camera problems are all sorted and that we'll soon see more of your foxes, and maybe a headgehog or two?

      Stay safe - - - -Richard

      Delete
  6. I see ‘your’ Sparrowhawk is still around. I have not noticed one this year but on the other hand, maybe I have not spent that much time watching the birds as other things are distracting me from photography.

    The Elephant Hawk Moth is quite beautiful and I am sure that you are very gentle while handling them.

    I have yet to see a bullfinch and the juvenile I would never have recognised!! That also goes for the juvenile Goldfinch, I would have thought I had found a new species!!!

    We have two Wood Pigeons here for what seems like forever but never have we seen a youngster, maybe one is sterile. I have no idea what their life span might be and we have now been here for 17 years!

    I love the shot of the Lacewing, the reflections on the glass are amazing. Love the cows on the ladybird, must look out for that one 😊

    Sorry I am so far behind but was just do not seem to have spare time for anything at present. Neither of you are forgotten though and I hope Lindsay is doing well. Very best wishes as always. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. I'm not sure that it's the same Sparrowhawk, but it is beginning to make a nuisance of itself. It seems that the biggest danger is the birds hitting our windows when they panic on its arrival. I think that we have more casualties that way than we do from the Sparrowhawk actually catching a bird.

      Please don't apologise for 'late visits'. It's just good to know that you're there and OK. I fully understand about lack of time - and I haven't got half of what you have to keep me busy!

      Lindsay is doing really well now and our main problem is a badly failed car which needs a major part (four-wheel drive differential) which is not in stock anywhere and has to be made somewhere in Europe. It looks as if it could be months, rather than weeks, before we get it back. It was very frightening when it failed (we skidded over into the opposing lane) and if it had done so on the motorway I suspect that we'd not be still here!

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard: This comment is really in the way of letting you know I haven’t forgotten you! I am on vacation ( birding of course) on Vancouver Island, and visiting Miriam’s sister, Jan. Not much spare time! We’ll be back home on the weekend and back to normal. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the update, David, and for thinking of us. I hope that you are having a wonderful time with family and getting in some good birding. I look forward to hearing about it on your return.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, I am glad for you that you found your favorite White-legged Damselfly. Your other observations are wonderful as well. Butterflies, all kind of birds and a Sparrow Hawk in your garden. Young Doves do look a bit strange indeed. Their beak looks a bit out of order...
    Take care,
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little concerned about that beak on the Woodpigeon, Roos. I didn't notice that bird again after that one visit, so I am not sure if it developed into a normal-looking bird.

      I feel extremely lucky to have a garden that attracts wildlife and keeps my spirits up when I can't get out.

      I hope that all is well with you - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. The garden is completly full of Life all around. Very high quality and detailed photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words. I have had a quick look at your own blog but, sadly, my Spanish is virtually non-existant and you seem to not have a 'translate' facility on the blog. Am I correct in thinking that your blog is primarily concerned with promoting tourism to your locality?

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.