Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 12 November 2023

The First Half of October, 2023

Having returned from our visit to the Isles of Scilly on 3rd October, I found myself with nearly two and a half thousand photos to process. This took about three weeks to complete, and limited my time out in the field. I did, however, manage three short excursions, but also found myself distracted by birds in the garden while at my desk, working on the photos. Here are some of my observations from the first half of October.

Thursday, 5th October          Garden

Stock Dove was absent for a few weeks, but is now being seen on an almost daily basis. Occasionally we get two of them.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - Garden
Carrion Crow has become a frequent visitor to the garden, and also we sometimes get two together. I think that face radiates intelligence.

Carrion Crow (Covus corone) - Garden

Woodpigeons are also frequent visitors - it's a rare day that we don't see one in the garden - but we rarely see youngsters, such as this one.

Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) (immature) - Garden
Sunday, 8th October          Garden
 
Our over-the-back neighbour has a box hung on the dividing fence which he fills with peanuts in their shells. These seem to be exclusively attractive to the local squirrels which take great delight in burying them in our garden, although sometimes they will stop and enjoy the contents - as this one did, sitting on the wall of our mini-pond, which I photographed from my study window.
 
Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - Garden

Monday, 9th October          Saltersford Valley Country Park
 
Lookking for a dragonfly fix on a fine weather day, I headed to my favourite local dragonfly location - Saltersford Valley.

I started off by spending time on the boardwalk, which is usually the best location for finding dragonflies. There were several Common Darters here, mostly landing on the boardwalk , which is not very photogenic. Occasionally, however, one would perch on some vegetaion.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

At one point, a pair of Common Darter appeared in tandem, but I was only able to photograph them on the boardwalk.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male+female in tandem) - Saltersford Valley CP
I spent quite a long while trying to photograph one of the two Migrant Hawker dragonflies that were patrolling round the boardwalk. I failed to get any flight shots and if they landed it was always away from the boardwalk and partly obscured by the Reedmace. This was, unfortunately, my best shot.
 
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

I seemed to be getting nowhere fast, so decided to take a walk round the site.
 
A Western Honey Bee looked rather fine on wild Angelica.
 
Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) - Saltersford Valley CP

I found a few more Common Darter which, to my advantage, didn't have a boardwalk that they could settle on. 


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

The bright red berries of Guelder-rose stood out like a beacon.

Guelder-rose (Viburnum opulus) - Saltersford Valley CP
A return to the boardwalk gave me an unobstructed view of a perched Migrant Hawker, but at a distance and at an awkward angle for photography.
 
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

I came away, concious that, apart from the tandem Common Darters, I'd only seen male dragonflies. This however, is not an unusual situation, as males have a tendency to patrol near water, while females tend to come to water to primarily mate or oviposit.
 
I had hoped to find Willow Emerald Damselfly here, as I had not yet positively seen one this season, but I failed. 

Tuesday, 10th October          Thortit Lake Area

I'd had an eye injection in the morning, after which I was supposed to take it easy for 48 hours, and not drive for at least four hours. However, at around 16.00, the effect of the dilation drops had worn off, my eye was not feeling too uncomfortable, and so I decided on a gentle visit to my nearest dragon site, Thortit Lake, to try once more for Willow Emerald.

Having parked my car, as I entered the site, I found five Common Darter roosting on the gate. I was a little surprised to see that these were all females.


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - near Thortit Lake


As I approached the lake, a Red Admiral kept landing on the path ahead of me and then flying ahead as I got nearer.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Thortit Lake
As I approached the water's edge, a pair of Mute Swan with four youngsters in tow came towards me, obviously expecting to be fed. They soon realised that I would not oblige, and turned away again. My shots including the youngsters were not good, but here's one of one of the adults.
 
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) (male) - Thortit Lake

I saw two or three Migrant Hawker dragonflies, but not in a position to be photographed. A Coot went swimming by as I was about to head back to base, mindful of the fact that I was supposed to be taking it easy.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Thortit Lake

As I neared the exit gate, I saw that some of the female Common Darters were still on the gate.

Wednesday, 11th October          Garden

Another shot of one of the Stock Doves that visited that day, taken through the glass of my study window.
 
Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - Garden

Thursday, 12th October          Garden

We had been seeing very little of Wren over the past couple of months, and so were absolutely delighted when one showed up this day - not the best of shots, taken from the conservatory, through the double-glazing at an angle.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)  - Garden

Saturday, 14th October          Garden

It has been a quite good year for Comma butterflies. This one visited us this day and sunned itself on Lindsay's nook in the garden.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Garden

Sunday, 15th October          Calke Park : Garden

Against my better judgement - it was a fine weather Sunday during the schools half-term holiday -  I set out for a visit to Calke Park. I found myself in a queue for the entrance booths when I was about 500 metres from them, and would have turned back if the road had not been 'one-way'. 

I first headed for Calke Explore, where there is a hide overlooking a bird feeding station. The car park was full, but I managed to squeeze our small Smart car into a gap in the overflow car park.
 
I fully expected to find the bird hide full of unruly children but, to my surprise, there were just four people in there (it has capacity for six) and they left as I arrived (I didn't think I looked that threatening!). 
 
I stayed for about half an hour, but not much was going on and the branches used as photographic props had all been removed, so I photographed very little.
 
The rats were plentiful and very busy seeking food.

Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) - Calke Park
The few photos I did take didn't turn out too well and probably the best of a bad bunch was this of a very common, but nonetheless delightful, bird - a Blue Tit.
 
Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Calke Park

With little going on here, I decided to try the other hide on the estate. This is by the main car park near the house. As the house came into sight, I was surprised to see that the overflow car park was full of cars, and a second (unofficial?) overflow car park was in operation. This was, by far, the busiest that I have ever seen Calke Park. Amazingly, however, I managed to find myself a vacant spot in the main car park within a few metres of the hide.
 
I also found that, with just two people in the hide when I got there, I had room to sit in comfort. There was more going on from this hide, although nothing very exciting was seen. The birds were zooming in to the feeders which were suspended on a tensioned wire that went from one side of the clearing to the other. The best photographic opportunities were when the birds approached but were still in the neighbouring trees. Here are a few of the shots that I took.

Nuthhatch (Sitta europaea) - Calke Park

Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) (female) - Calke Park

Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (male) - Calke Park

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - Calke Park

Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) (male) - Calke Park

Nuthhatch (Sitta europaea) - Calke Park

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male) - Calke Park

The arrival to the hide of a group of people acted as a signal for me to depart. I stopped for a while just outside the hide to view the deer in the Deer Park.
 
My attention was drawn to a young Fallow Deer that was bounding across the grass at a good speed.

Fallow Deer (Dama dama) - Calke Park

The reason for its haste soon became apparent!

Fallow Deer (Dama dama) - Calke Park

Over on the far side of this area there was a Fallow Deer with what I can only suggest, by the antlers, was a young male Red Deer.

Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) and Fallow Deer (Dama dama) - Calke Park
I then drove round to what is known as The Round Car Park and walked down to the south-west arm of Staunton Harold Reservoir and then headed westward to reach the weir that is the inflow from Calke Park. This is the view eastward from near that location. On my previous visit, the water in the reservoir was so depleted that, with wellington boots on, it would have been possible to walk across the reservoir on a right to left trajectory that approximates to that thin dark line behind the brighter blue strip.

Staunton Harold Reservoir
From near the inflow, on the far side of the water, I spotted a Heron that was looking for its afternoon tea.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Staunton Harol Reservoir

As I headed back, a Little Egret arrived, landing in the trees on the far side of the water.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Staunton Harold Reservoir

An immature Great Crested Grebe was closer as I went along the boardwalk section of the path.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Staunton Harold Reservoir
I arrived back home in time to witness the Sparrowhawk making a nuisance of itself once more. This immature male has been visiting on a 'several times a day' basis, but its hit-rate is relatively low. The visits are, however, frequent enough that many of the other birds have got wise and are staying away from our garden.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (immature male) - our garden


As it stands at the moment, my next post will cover the second half of October, and be somewhat shorter than this one as I did not manage to get out with my camera during that period.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

18 comments:

  1. That Sparrowhawk shot at the end just about sums up your report. A beautiful capture as are your other shots. Nice to see you still getting some Common Darters. I had 3 yesterday in a brief look. I doubt they have too long to go now. I managed to get a sign in screen for once and logged in. Not sure if this will help with you and comments. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I've not seen a Common Darter for a few weeks now. It's been pretty cold in the daytime in these parts lately.

      Will try and access your blog again when I sign off here.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. I must make mention of your dragonfly images in this post which I found exceptional Richard. I also have to put my ignorance into the public domain when I claim to have never heard the Apis meliffera being referred to as a 'Western' Honey Bee....I never thought I was so out of touch!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. I'm sure that you're not at all out of touch. It seems that 'Western Honey Bee' is an alternative common name for 'European Honey Bee', or just plain 'Honey Bee' - in fact NatureSpot gives it the latter name. The Bloomsbury Field Guide, however, gives it as the 'Western Honey Bee'.

      Thank you for your kind words about the dragons.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard,
    The red deer looks very proud and powerful even at a young age, a very nice photo and the sparrowhawk in your garden is very nice to look at but the other birds are hiding... here in my case it's the lynx when it comes through After walking through the forest, you don't see any deer for a long time.
    The first half of October was worth it...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Frank - I'd love to see a Lynx in the wild, even if it did keep the deer hidden away. I did not know that you had Lynx in that part of Germany.

      Thank you for your visit - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Wildlife is still present in October in your home, especially dragonflies! In my little pond I have some very red, almost fluorescent ones. They give a nice counterpoint to the large leaves of the water lilies but unfortunately I cannot photograph them; I'm a little slow I think ;)) Thank you for this beautiful sharing. Kind regards, Philfff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if you have some very interesting dragonflies in your pond, Philfff. Maybe I should visit you?! - ;-} Thank you for your visit - best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. All the pleasure would be mine Richard! My pond is very small but my region is magnificent! Don't hesitate if you're in Provence: you have something on my blog to give me on the day of your arrival ;) Kind regards Philfff.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for that kind offer, Philfff. However, in reality, I am unlikely to be leaving UK at any time in the future. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Just a quick visit today, Richard. Great series of pictures here. Stewart arrived safely on Saturday night and we spent a glorious day birding yesterday and he racked up lifer after lifer on the Mill Race Trail and at Riverside Park. I gave him your best regards. I hear him stirring now, so we'll have breakfast and head out for another day's thrills! Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit, David - much appreciated as I know that you are extremely busy for the next few weeks. I'm sure that Stewart will have the time of his life! My very best wishes to the three of you - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Wow Richard you seem to see so much. I have not seen a dragonfly this year, not that I have had the time to go looking for them, and the past month has been almost continuous rain. It is still raining and we have now reached our annual rainfall figure. I have not even seen any interesting birds this year either, just all the general run of the mill, not even a nuthatch. I am so looking forward to Namibia in January and I am keeping fingers crossed the nothing crops up to stop us. As we get older I am never sure what might pop up in life!
    I hope that your eye is OK it sounds painful an injection into the eye!
    Keep safe you two, my very best wishes, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Diane, I'm not getting out and about much lately, due to a combination of bad weather, maintenance jobs on the house, and numerous medical visits - some mine and some Lindsay's as she currently needs me for transport! Future blog posts will be a bit thin for a while compared to this one.

      Injections into the eye are not at all painful, with the worst bit being the stinging of the iodine drops put into the eye beforehand to prevent infection. They also put in anaesthetic drops - so no pain, but just an uncomfortable feeling of pressure. For me, the biggest problem is the time lost due to travel and all the tests before they do the job.

      I am sure that you will have a wonderful time in Namibia - just take very good care of yourselves and don't do anything that might upset your plans.

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. What a nice helping of Odonata! And birds!

    We're happy you became stuck in the line at the car park. The results are totally worth the inconvenience. Of course, we weren't the ones having to wait. :)

    To think, while you were away from the house, your garden was being protected by your very own private security system. I feel certain that Sparrowhawk's wages are very --- "cheep".

    Outstanding summary of the first half of the month and Gini and I enjoyed it very much. We hope both you and Lindsay have a peaceful weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line actually moved quite fast, Wally, and yes, it was worth the wait.

      The Sparrowhawk is continuing to be a nuisance, and seems to have become rather more adept at catching prey.

      Not sure about the prospect of a peaceful weekend - hospital appointment on Sunday!

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Gracias por esas fotos maravillosas, un placer pasar por aquí. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa. Me alegro que los hayas disfrutado. Mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.