Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 9 December 2010

Another Lightning Strike! - on 9th December, 2010

They say that lightning never strikes twice in the same place, but I've never trusted that. Last month we had 39 Waxwings just along the road from us. They were only there for a day, and weren't seen again. Today, my wife and I were busy with Christmas shopping. Coming back into our road, I couldn't believe my eyes. We had a Waxwing in the same roost tree as before. Although there were plenty of berries left in the feed tree, it didn't come down for food, and departed to a more distant tree after I'd been watching it for about half an hour. By then the light was fading.

Waxwing

I have no idea what the feed tree is. The berries are very small, and pink. The birds love them. I'd be interested to hear if you can identify the tree from the image of the fruit, below.

Can you identify this tree from its fruit, please?

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The berries appear to be some type of ornamental rowan (mountain ash), sorbus sp. there are lots of types, hybrids etc. Great garden trees as they don't grow too large and lots of birds eat the berries

    I found this site while browsing the net and have added it to my favourites.

    all the best phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this information Phil. Sorry not to have replied before now, but I've been away in Hungary, and only got back (just!!) late last night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Richard,
    small world! someone I used to know was the local wildlife officer for the police - Roy Adams. He now lives in Hungary and runs bird tour holidays; might be worth a look; http://www.hungarianbirdtours.com/

    best wishes phil

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.