Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 27 October 2008

Boulder & Sawhill Ponds on Wednesday 24th September

This day we took a walk from out hotel, on the edge of the ‘city’ of Boulder, into the centre and the Pearl St. Mall. As we walked down the road from our hotel, a Hairy Woodpecker flew across in front of us and landed on a telegraph pole. A short time later we were seeing squirrels (possibly Eastern Fox Squirrel). We then turned the corner and spotted an American Kestrel perched on a distant tree.

Hairy Woodpecker - male

.
Eastern Fox Squirrel ???
.
American Kestrel - male
.
It was not long before we reached the Boulder Creek, which runs through the town. The path alongside the creek is popular with cyclist, joggers, and people getting from A to B. It is also not too bad for birds. We saw American Crow, Northern Flicker, Hairy Woodpecker, American Robin (at a distance), and two birds which I think were probably female Western Tanager.

American Crow
.
Northern Flicker - female
.
Western Tanager ???
.
American Robin
.
Hairy Woodpecker - male
.
In the afternoon, after a very pleasant lunch, we went out to Sawhill Ponds, which is a noted birding area, just a few miles out of town. We had been told that morning that American White Pelican had been seen there recently. My wife decided to stay in the car whilst I explored, so I felt that I could not spend too long here.

I soon found Bullfrogs, and then put up a splendid Belted Kingfisher (no photo) which flew away very noisily. Further on, I found a Snowy Egret, and American Wigeon. My route then took me away from the water for a while, and I found another Northern Flicker. Regaining the water, my heart leaped as I found a solitary Killdeer (although a quite common bird in these parts). I had already been gone longer than the hour that I said I would be so headed back towards the car. I found another Northern Flicker – the first and only male I was to see of this species, and too distant and into the sun to get more than a record shot. Just before getting back to the car I came upon what I believe to be Blue-winged Teal.

Bullfrog
.
Snowy Egret
.
American Wigeon
.
Northern Flicker - female
.
Killdeer
.
Blue-winged Teal ?

I was not in too much trouble when I returned, and that evening we went up into the Front Range - the low mountains above Boulder which are the start of the Rocky Mountains. Here we found a flock of eight Turkey Vultures circling ominously, high above the town, but at our eye level.

Turkey Vulture
.

Colorado Chipmunk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.