Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 22 March 2018

Turned Out Nice Again! - on 8th March, 2018

If I've been a bit quiet in Bloggerland for a couple of weeks, it's because I have been away on the Isles of Scilly for a family holiday. I'm back in the saddle now, and feverishly working through the several thousand frames I fired off whilst there - hopefully there will be a few good ones (he said with a grin on his face!).

This post concerns a visit to Rutland Water, prompted by an attendance at the Volunteer Training Centre for the pre-season meeting for volunteers on the Rutland Osprey Project. As this meeting was scheduled to start at 18h00 so I set off mid-afternoon with the intention of visiting some of my Little Owl sites as the weather was fine.

Unfortunately, as I headed eastward across the county, the weather got more and more windy, and I realised I had little hope of finding an owl in the cold and windy conditions.

Near Queniborough, a Buzzard flew up from beside the road, but my attempts at photography were rather poor. Further on, near Burrough on the Hill a spotted a distant pair of Buzzards having a bit of an altercation. Here are a couple of images of that, although I wish I had been somewhat nearer the action.


Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - near Burrough on the Hill
 To my surprise, I found an owl tucked in away from the wind at my Little Owl site No.37.

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.37
There were no further owl sightings before I got to Rutland Water, where I called in at the Egleton Visitor Centre, enjoyed my first ice cream of the Rutland season, and then set off northwards.

Cutting a long story short, it seemed to be unusually quiet on the bird front on this part of the reserve. I spotted little of interest on Lagoon 4, and only photographed a Pochard.

Pochard (Aythya ferina) (female) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Most of my photos were taken from Shoveler Hide on Lagoon 3. I missed the potentially most interesting shot as a Water Rail shot across in front of the hide and instantly disappeared into the reeds. I reckon it must have been lurking within a metre of where I was sitting, but below my line of sight - unless I had stuck my head out of the window and looked down!

Here are some of the shots I did take - all of very common birds. There was much strong and low sunshine on occasion and I found photography challenging, although it did give a fine blue colour to the water. Fortunately the wind had died down somewhat too.

Shoveler (Anas clypeata) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Shoveler (Anas clypeata) (female) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve


Teal (Anas crecca) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Gadwall (Anas stepera) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Gadwall (Anas stepera) (female) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve

Pintail (Anas acuta) (male + female) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve

Pintail (Anas acuta) (male) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
I'd taken a picnic tea with me which I'd left in the car and, at the appropriate time, headed back to the car park. By now it had turned very dull and rather cold. On the way back I found one of the meadows to be full of Redwing. However, these flew off the moment I saw them (and they saw me!). One Song Thrush did, however, decide to be brave.

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) - Rutland Water, Egleton Reserve
Whilst eating, I reflected that the afternoon had been a little disappointing - little did I know what was in store! Having finished my picnic at an appropriate time, I set off for the VTC. I was nearly there when I noticed a familiar shape sitting on a roadside fence post. I stopped the car at an angle in the road, and took some shots. I then moved forward a bit further and took some more.  The second image is a poor one, but it gives an indication of the depth of the feathering on the head as it was caught be the wind.




Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - near Egleton
Having taken my shots, I had to pass the owl to get to my destination. As I set off it flew to a fence a short way back from the road, and I got some more shots from a closer range.


Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - near Egleton
The owl then flew from this position to another roadside post ahead of me. However, it flew off again as I approached on my way to the VTC.

It was a short and enjoyable meeting at the VTC, where it was good to catch up with old friends and meet new faces. 

Afterwards, the weather had gone downhill, and I headed straight home, with no further sightings - but I was still buzzing from my Barn Owl encounter. 

If someone with a reliable crystal ball had told me that, including this day, I'd see four different species of owl in UK over a nine day period, I'd have assumed Little, Barn, Tawny, and possibly Short-eared. Little did I know that one of those would be missing and the substitute would be fabulous!

I suspect that it will be a while before I'm ready to publish a post on my Scillies visit, so my next post will probably be about something closer to home.

Thank you for dropping by.

22 comments:

  1. I love the Barn Owl, and the others as well, thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. The Barn Owl was a real treat for me - Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. A nice series of waterfowl images, Richard, and the encounter with the Barn Owl was, I am sure, magical. This is a species with which I have really not had much luck, and while I have seen them I have never had those chance encounters you get, and most of my sightings have been of distant, or well hidden birds, with unsatisfactory views. The Little Owl in the tree is very appealing, and I have a warm glow knowing that I have been at that very site! Now, get to work on those Scilly Isles shots so that we can all see what you have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. Virtually all my close encounters with Barn Owls have been chance encounters, and all the more special for it.

      Your command is my wish, and I will now feverishly resume processing those Scilly Isles photos - I've just completed day 2, and so only have 5 more days to do!

      With love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Good to see you back again. Love the subtle lighting with the Barn Owl creating a beautiful set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. The Barn Owl encounter was very special for me! With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, I love the first two shots, fabulous. I think the barn owl though is one of my favourite birds. I see this one is ringed, wonder how far it had travelled. We had a barn owl in our roof here for a while, but sadly we had to block off the entrance as our ceiling was looking terrible to say the least of it. Apart from that it was right over our bed and it was pretty noisy at times! I wish I knew where it had moved to.
    I have started a new blog purely on birds. I had a great collection from RSA and of course now Europe as well so I decided that they must all go together. Links on my blog.
    Hope that you have a good weekend. Best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! I suspect that Barn Owl had not travelled far at all. Lloyd Park, Rutland Water's Reserve Officer, is a prolific ringer and sometimes it is more difficult to spot an unringed bird than a ringed one!

      Sorry to hear you had to exclude your own Barn Owl. In UK it would be illegal to do that because of their protected status.

      I love your new bird blog - keep up the good work!

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. If we could not have stopped it entering the roof we would have had to have either closed our bedroom down for good, or put in a totally new ceiling that did not absorb the waste products! It is a very old (well over 200 years) converted barn so quite big and high as well. Diane

      Delete
    3. I fully sympathise with your situation, Diane. Sometimes these things just have to be done. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Incredible observations! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Barn Owl images Richard, can't possibly think of ANY OTHER OWL I would like to photograph and see ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. I've no idea what you are getting at with that comment - is there any other owl? ;-}

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard,
    such a observation compensates for the many hours that one was in vain and one could not take pictures. Here in Germany I have not seen a barn owl in the wild .. pity
    Great pictures, nice post
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I'm sorry to hear that you have not seen a wild Barn Owl. I do not see many in UK, but I cannot remember a year without a sighting.

      Best wishes, and good luck - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Fantástico reportaje, todas las fotos son muy bonitas y en especial las de la lechuza sobre la estaca que son excepcionales. Enhorabuena Richard, un abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Germán. Tuve mucha suerte y me emocionó ver al búho y tener la oportunidad de fotografiarlo. Tales momentos no ocurren muy a menudo. Con mis mejores deseos desde una soleada Inglaterra - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard,
    I read that you have been to the Isles of Scilly for a few weeks with your family for a vacation.
    The pictures in your blog of the fighting buzzards in the air is great to see. In addition, beautiful pictures of the Pochard, the Teal, the Gadwall, the Shoveler and the pintail, they are beautiful. Beautiful sharp and full of details.
    The little little owl and the barn owl touch my heart.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Helma. Yes, the Isles of Scilly were great, but we were there for just one week. I am still processing the photos - I have done 5 out of 7 days only! I saw some great birds, and managed to get some photos that I am extremely pleased with.

      Thank you for your visit and your very kind words. With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Welcome back Richard from your outing with family. I presume it was a joyable time with family and nature. And than back to the cold. Spring is having a hard time to get going. But great to see you saw the LO and a Barn Owl. I still have to see my first Barn Owl.
    I am curious for your captures you took.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. It was a very enjoyable time, and a very exciting time too! For some reason, I omagined that Barn Owl would be a common bird in the areas that you visit! I hope you see one soon.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.