Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 2 September 2018

In Search of White-legged Damsels - on 20th July, 2018

As suggested in my previous post, for this post I am harking back to a visit I made earlier in the summer.

The Ashby Canal is relatively close to my home, and there are a couple of places on its length that I know to be quite good for White-legged Damselfly at the right time of year. Unfortunately, I left it a little late this year to seek them out. One of the main problems with leaving it late was that the canal-side vegetation had grown very high, making it difficult for photography - as I found out when I visited. However, the Ashby Canal is good for White-legged Damselfly precisely because the canal-side vegetation is allowed to grow undisturbed.

I parked in my usual canal-side place, and started walking the towpath. It was sunny when I set out, but rather breezy. I walked for about 500 metres, seeing virtually nothing except a brief appearance of a Brown Hawker and a male Banded Demoiselle that disappeared before I could get a shot in. I was almost on the point of giving up, and returning home without a single release of the camera shutter.

Eventually, I spotted a male Common Blue Damselfly, which I did manage to get  a shot of - from a distance.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male)  - Ashby Canal
A few minutes later, I found a pair of Common Blues mating.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male + female - in cop)  - Ashby Canal
Almost immediately after this I found a male White-legged Damselfly - and then another - and another!



White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes) (male) - Ashby Canal
I don't know whether it was location, time of day, or a subtle change in the weather, but I now started seeing more dragons and damsels. At one point I had an Emperor Dragonfly patrolling the far side of the canal, but I'd only got my 150 macro lens with me, so didn't manage any images. Blue-tailed Damselfly were busy, with the only females photographed being of the blue andromorph colour form.


Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Ashby Canal


Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male + female - in cop) - Ashby Canal
Ruddy Darters seem to have done extremely well this year in these parts but, from my own experience, Common Darter have not fared so well.


Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Ashby Canal
Banded Demoiselle were now starting to show more. I found one pair preparing to mate. However they were in a very difficult position for photography, and I accidentally disturbed them while trying for shots. Here's a couple from before they disappeared.


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male + female) - Ashby Canal
That was the only female Banded Demoiselle I saw. There were, however, several males around.



Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) - Ashby Canal
At one point, I spent some time watching three males interacting with each other. With the prevailing light and the lens I had, I wasn't able to get all in focus or eliminate motion blur, but it was interesting to watch.



Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) - Ashby Canal
The main objective, however, was the White-legged Damselflies, so here are a few more from that day.



White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes) (male) - Ashby Canal
One individual was performing an action which I suspect was the transfer of sperm from primary to secondary genitalia.



White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes) (male) - Ashby Canal
What started out as a disappointing session, had turned itself around and become a very enjoyable time beside the Ashby Canal.


Thank you for dropping by. I have no idea, at this stage, what my next blog post will feature. 

16 comments:

  1. I really appreciate these photos as they are a huge help to me for my ID. We are off to Bergerac next week and there are a couple of lakes there where I got some good photos in July. The weather does not sound wonderful though and it might upset my photography!! Beats wishes and have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. If every you get stuck with dragon and damsel ID, I'd be happy to help if I can - although I'm no expert. You're welcome to send me a photo to have a go at.

      I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for your weather while you're away - I hope you get better than the cold drizzle we have got at the moment!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Ah Richard, even at your age you are chasing white-legged damsels. What better way to spend your time along the canal? Patience is obviously a virtue as the old saying goes and you were rewarded with multiple sightings and a great series of images. Odenates are pretty plentiful here at present, as are butterflies and moths, but I haven’t had much time to devote to them. Too much bird stuff going on. Much love to you and Lindsay. Davjd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is, David, I tend to forget what I'm supposed to do when I catch up with them. And even if I remember, my equipment has a habit of letting me down!

      Just this morning, I said to Lindsay that I really must start spending more time with the birds. They've really taken a back seat this summer. Oops - just remembered what birds on the back seat used to mean in my early years!

      My love to you and Miriam - - Richard

      Delete
  3. These are truly top notch. What stunning images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian. This summer I've been really enjoying insect photography, but there's a lot of room for improvement there!

      Delete
  4. A smart Damselfly indeed Richard and excellently captured too showing off the features nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. The White-legged Damselfly is possibly my favourite damselfly.

      Delete
  5. Incredibly beautiful pictures! Have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. So sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard
    What some Dragonflies, my favourites are Banded Demoiselles, and the White-legged Damselfly, lovely catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Some of our damselflies and dragonflies are truly spectacular when you see them close-up. My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Unas fotos absolutamente extraordinarias, con todo lujo de detalles. Enhorabuena Richard, todo lo mejor desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Germán. Me encanta ver los detalles en estas fabulosas criaturas, y la mejor manera de hacerlo es a través de la fotografía. Ten un excelente fin de semana - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. What a lovely series of blues... except for the Ruddy darter!
    Brilliant photos :)
    The emperor would have fitted in perfectly! LOL!
    As a matter of fact, I used to take pictures with my 150 macro Sigma too but since I have the 200/500 mm I use it for dragons and the results are not bad. Also, it allows me to take pics from a distance!
    Enjoy your sunday and I hope you'll have a sunny weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Carine. Most of the time I use the Sigma 50-500 for my photography, including for dragons, for the very same reason that you favour your 200-500. This time, however, I wasn't expecting to see anything at a distance, so took the 150 to save weight.

      Cold, cloudy, and windy at the moment - I hope that your weather is better than ours! My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.