Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 27 October 2018

A Grand Day - on 27th September, 2018

It was forecast to be a fine-weather day, so I set off to visit Willington Gravel Pits, where I had not been so far this year, although it is not very far from my home. This place can be good for birds, and also offers the possibility of dragonflies.

The first viewing platform gave some pleasant views of Black-tailed Godwit, Lapwing, and Little Egret, and a Snipe came in and landed reasonably close but in a position that made photography difficult.


Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) - Willington Gravel Pits


Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) - Willington Gravel Pits



Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Willington Gravel Pits
Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Willington Gravel Pits
The 2nd and 3rd viewing platforms didn't yield anything of interest and when I got to the hide at the end of the run it was quite busy with people. There was plenty to see, but all at a great distance. I took very few photos, but did grab some shots of a Lapwing flock in flight and also of a distant Ruff. Close examination shows other birds in the Lapwing flock some of which were, I believe, Starlings and two of which were Black-tailed Godwits. There was at least one other bird which was a Godwit-sized wader, but I can't identify it.

Lapwings + other birds - Willington Gravel Pits

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) - Willington Gravel Pits
I wasn't able to stay long as I'd told Lindsay that I'd be back for an early lunch time. I headed back along the track, finding the Snipe was still in the same place, and was resting.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Willington Gravel Pits
Working out that I still had half an hour to spare before I needed to head homeward, I took a short walk along the path that leads to the railway bridge and canal. Here I saw a few Common Darter dragonflies. These mainly seemed to have the preservation of future generations on their minds.


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male + female in cop) - Willington Gravel Pits
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Willington Gravel Pits
I arrived home to find that a rather special bird, plus another slightly less special, had been discovered only a couple of miles (3 km) from my home. The finder was local birder, and 'thoroughly nice bloke', Mick Smith, who kindly gave me directions as to how to find its location. I quickly had lunch and set off again.

Parking in Donisthorpe church car park, I set off down the track, which is the bed of a disused railway line. It was only a walk of just over 800 metres to get to the point where I could see the stretch of water below me. I managed to find a spot with an extremely narrow field of  view through the trees and the nearest bank approximately 70 metres away (per Google Earth).

Fortunately I quickly spotted the lesser of the two birds - the Great Egret. It was, however, in an un-photographable position. My luck changed when it flew off to the right and landed on higher ground in the adjacent field. I managed to find another spot where I had a clearer view.  It was now, however, about 120 metres away. It then did the most massive poo and headed back to the water. Had it done this to save polluting the water?

Here are a few of the Great Egret:-




Great Egret (Ardea alba) - near Donisthorpe
It was definitely my lucky day, however, when the Glossy Ibis strode into view at the near bank. In this next image, which contains both the Egret and the Ibis, you can see virtually my whole field of view. It probably included less than 10% of the water surface, and the visible stretch of near bank was probably less than 1% of the total water's edge.

Great Egret and Glossy Ibis - the flash near Donisthorpe
The Ibis stayed in the visible stretch for quite a while, but at that range the photos were never going to be great. Here are some that I did manage:-






Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) - near Donisthorpe
The Ibis eventually wandered out of sight and, having waited a little while in case some birders showed up wanting to find the location (none showed), decided it was time to leave. I realised that I'd not been to Ticknall Limeyards for a while, so set off to visit there.

Having arrived by the lake that's usually the most productive for dragonflies, I found a couple of Migrant Hawkers, and a single Common Darter. I tried for some shots for a while, but then the sun went down and all was lost. I didn't quite come back empty-handed, but it was a close call!

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
It had, thanks to Mick, been truly a Grand Day Out!


Thank you for dropping by. My next post might well feature an owl or two!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful series Richard. I love the Glossy Ibis and Little Egret, well taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Those birds were certainly a delight for me. My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. What an incredible day out, Richard. I remember going to Willington Gravel Pit with you, but I don't recall this kind of productivity. I predict that Great Egrets are soon going to become as familiar as Little Egrets are now. The shot of the Glossy Ibis and the egret together is one for the record books to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willington Gravel Pits does occasionally turn up some good birds, David, but summer (when we visited together) is not, perhaps, the best time to visit.

      I have been saying for a while now that Great Egrets will soon be a common as Little Egrets. Ten years ago it was not usual to see a Little Egret in thes parts, and now I could guarantee to see one half an hour from home if I wanted to. I could now probably find half a dozen Great Egrets in a day too! Even Glossy Ibis is starting to appear more frequently, although it still warrants reporting on the bird news networks.

      My love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. These are a pleasant change Some very posh birds. I enjoy seeing what you've seen as there is little chance of my getting close to anything with the dogs wandering with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was far enough away from all these birds, Adrian, that, even if I had dogs with me, the birds would not have been disturbed - all these were with a lens at 500mm and heavily cropped. The dragonflies, however, were up-close and personal.

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard,
    first-class mixture of the pictures you succeeded perfectly, the silver heron is super photographed, great post
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words, Frank. It was a very enjoyable day. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. What a great selection of birds and dragonflies. Glad that you got word about the Egret and the Ibis and that you got some great photos despite the distance. Hope all is well, best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and wishes, Diane. I was delighted to see you got such a super photo of your local Little Owl. We're doing fine here, thank you. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard! Awesome pictures of great birds! Here the geese have already left off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. Thank you for your visit. We still have plenty of geese around - Yesterday I was looking at a mixed group of Canada Geese and Greylag Geese which had a Bar-headed Goose in with them (I guess an escapee from somewhere)!

      Delete
  7. Great series Richard, with a number of interesting species!.
    And I appreciate also the S. striolatum mating wheel!
    Strange to see the Glossy ibis in your latitudes, I see them in large numbers in Africa!
    Enjoy your weekend and take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Carine.

      I was still seeing a few S. striolatum a couple of days ago, but I suspect that they will be my last for the year.

      Glossy Ibis is becoming a little more frequent in its visits to UK. We maybe get one or two a year in Leicestershire. They are always a great bird to see.

      It's been a very dark dull day today, so I've not been anywhere. I hope that you are having better weather! Take good care, and have a great week - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to catch up on blogs after being away for a few weeks. This one is especially delightful, Richard!

    What a good day you had! Although Great Egrets and Glossy Ibises are common, here, I suspect they are not in your area. I thinks it's interesting the sunlight reveals similar coloration in the plumage of the Ibis and the Lapwing. Simply beautiful.

    Your images of the Common Darter and Migrant Hawker are exquisite!

    Gini and I hope all is well with you and Lindsay! May the coming week bring you peace, joy and lots of birds and bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words, Wally. It was rather a fine day. I hadn't realised that Glossy Ibis was common in your neck of the woods. It must be raher pandemic as Carine/Noushka says she sees it regularly in Africa too.

      Lindsay and I are fine, thank you, and muddling through! My very best wishes to you and Gini for the week ahead - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.