Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 19 October 2018

Mixed Feelings - 17th to 20th September, 2018

This is my second attempt at writing this post. For reasons that I won't go into, my first attempt stalled. It started off long on words and short on images. It's still short on images, but not quite so long on words. It's definitely not a photographic post - I just wanted to get a message across.

Lindsay and I recently had a short break based in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. We booked accommodation at The Royal Oak in the centre of the town. This year I was a little apprehensive about one particular aspect of our visit, as there has been so much bad publicity about raptor persecution, with Yorkshire having the worst record of any county. Nevertheless, we were both looking forward to our stay.

Monday, 17th September 

We got away from home shortly after 10h00, stopping for lunch in  Boston Spa. It was then a run of less than an hour to Helmsley. Shops were visited, and an ice cream enjoyed, before we checked in. We had dinner at La Trattoria, a few doors down from The Royal Oak

Highs: 
  • Finding two Peter May books that I wanted, in a charity shop in Boston Spa
  • Ryeburn of Helmsley (twice!) - the best ice cream we have ever tasted anywhere!
  • Excellent tapas-style dinner at La Trattoria
Lows: 
  • Finding that our bed would be uncomfortably hard
  • Finding that our room was above the bar with throbbing bass from the music till 23h00 
Tuesday, 18th September

After breakfast, a tour of the town and an ice cream before departing onto the moors for a picnic lunch and an  afternoon on the moors, south of Cockayne. Dinner that night was at Helmsley Spice. I feel that I must enlarge on this matter as it was probably the worst Indian meal that we have ever experienced. We got off to a bad start when I said I had an intolerance of bell peppers (capsicums) but was OK with chillies. The response was that all their curries were based on the same 'gravy' which contained peppers! There was just one main course that I could choose without peppers. We both ordered the prawn on puri starters - and ended up with extremely sore mouths! - not hot from chilli, but as if there had been something very caustic in the mix. My main course was just OK, but Lindsay (who likes a hot curry) said that her Madras was ridiculously hot. We were both rather poorly that night, but Lindsay took a couple of weeks to fully recover from a sore tummy.

Highs:
  • A great breakfast at the Royal Oak
  • Ryeburn's ice cream (again)
  • Finding a wonderfully realistic life-sized sculpture of a Snowy Owl in the Sissons Gallery
  • Scenery on the moors - but with reservations!

Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - North Yorkshire Moors
Lows: 
  • A poor start after a dreadful night's 'sleep'
  • Coming away from the Sissons Gallery without the Snowy Owl
  • The endless reminders (sight and sound) that these moors are used by barbaric shooters
  • High winds keeping the birds down
  • An awful meal at Helmsley Spice
Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica) - North Yorkshire Moors
Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa) - North Yorkshire Moors
Wednesday, 19th September

After another good breakfast we set off to a different moorland area, having bought a picnic lunch to take with us. This time we stayed further east, through Hutton le Hole, Rosedale Abbey and Lealholm, to Castleton. We got back to Helmsley in time for an ice cream and had Dinner at The Royal Oak.

Highs:
  • A good breakfast at the Royal Oak
  • Scenery on the moors - but with reservations!
  • Finding a place called Low Bell End!
  • Dale Head Farm Tea Garden - apart from the sound of gunfire
  • Ryeburn's ice cream (again)
  • Dinner at the Royal Oak 
Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) (female) - by Hutton le Hole
Lows:
  • A poor start after a poor night's 'sleep'
  • The endless reminders (sight and sound) that these moors are used by barbaric shooters
  • Extremely high winds which, coupled with heavy rain, were stopping traffic on the moors 

Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica) - North Yorkshire Moors
Thursday, 20th September

After a gentle start and a late-ish breakfast, we went for a farewell ice cream and headed homeward.

Conclusions:

It had, over all, been an enjoyable break. However, the (lack of) comfort of the bed and very windy weather conspired against us to a degree.

One aspect, however, was upsetting to both of us, and that was the constant reminder that we were in shooting country. Groups of vehicles (mainly of a 'certain type') parked near long lines of shooting boxes on the moors, and the sound of gunfire spoiled what should have been a fabulous experience. Outside of the towns and villages, I estimate that 95% of the birds we saw had been put there purely to be shot - Red Grouse, Red-legged Partridge, and Pheasant were everywhere. The density of road-kill was far higher than I have ever seen anywhere before.

Even in Helmsley itself, the presence of shooters was evident in the evening, acting as if they owned the place (they probably did!) with yobbish arrogance.

Neither Lindsay nor I can understand the mentality of persons who take pleasure from the maiming or killing living creatures. It's frightening to think that these people probably have the same disrespect for the well-being of fellow human beings.

Speaking with several of the 'locals' I didn't find a single person who approved of shooting. However, the story was the same with everyone - shooting attracts people from all over the world and whilst low in numbers, these people are prepared to spend huge amounts of money to satisfy their barbaric lust to destroy life. This money then lines the pockets of the privileged few - who, sadly, are in powerful positions.

However, the tide seems to be turning. It was pointed out to me that many businesses in Helmsley were shutting down due to a major turn-down in the local tourist industry over the past couple of years, whilst most other tourist areas in UK are experiencing a bit of a boom due to people taking what I believe is called 'staycations'. Could it be that Lindsay and I are not the only people who have decided that, in spite of its many attractions, the area is being desperately spoiled by the shooting fraternity and, like us, will almost certainly not return - unless the shooting stops.

This barbaric killing and maiming has to stop, and the illegal persecution of wildlife must be fully prosecuted with much higher penalties.

 

I'm relatively certain that my next blog post is not far away, and will be on a happier note!

Thank you for dropping by.


22 comments:

  1. Fantastic Red Grouse images, the best Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I just wish that seeing these birds didn't stir up mixed emotions. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. It sounds quite dreadful, Richard. Hunting like this is true savagery and the fact that these yahoos flaunt their presence would be intimidating I am sure. The birding fraternity would do well to mount an entire boycott of the area. Bad food and hard beds didn’t help to assuage your unease, making an uncomfortable situation worse in fact. We had one bout with a hard bed in Australia, but we were generally pretty tired by the time we got to bed so it didn’t really bother us - and we do sleep on firm mattresses at home. At least the ice cream was good!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness to the staff at The Royal Oak, we were extremely well looked after, and our overall experience of the place was favourable. I believe that any other room would have been fine from a noise point of view. Lindsay and I do not do well in a hard bed, and we've been known to go out and buy a mattress topper to ease the situation before now, but it wasn't worth it for just three nights.

      I find it absolutely appalling that, in UK, literally millions of birds are bred each year, purely to be gun fodder for a small sadistic minority - more in my reply to your later comment.

      Delete
  3. The mention of Boston Spa brought back memories for me. I was evacuated there during WW2 for 5 years. I lived by the bridge over the Wharfe. It was where I learned about wildlife and photography. Nice blog thankyou Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. Thank you for your visit. I hope that the memories of Boston Spa that it brought back were, overall, relatively happy - being evacuated must have been very traumatic.

      Boston Spa is an absolutely favourite place for us to stop for lunch on our way north. We always head for the Deli Café. However, it didn't get a specific mention this time as, for the first time ever, we were a little disappointed. It will not prevent us from returning, however, as it is usually excellent.

      We always go for a short walk after lunch there, usually just to visit the charity shops. This time, however, for the first time, we took a stroll down to the river, and were very glad that we did! We didn't see much wildlife on that occasion, but I can imagine that it's a splendid place.

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Not a good time of the year to go I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went just one week earlier (12th to 14th September) last year with no problems. Huge numbers of game birds on the roads then too, however. What a difference a week can make!

      Delete
  5. A nice account Richard but said to see this is how a lot of people live their lives. I imagine most of those shooters live in the next village called 'massive bell end'. Some nice photos though from your trip. I will leave you now to get some much needed sleep by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for bringing a much-needed smile to my face in your response to a sad situation, Marc. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. One more thought - perhaps a write-in campaign to the local Chamber of Commerce could be organized with people stating that they will not return and giving their reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking along those lines too, David. There are, I'm pleased to say, some very high profile initiatives being taken by some very influential people, so I tend to add my voice to theirs, rather than start a new campaign. Via Twitter, I have notified 'Visit Helmsley', 'North York Moors National Park Authority', 'Welcome to Yorkshire', the
      Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, plus a couple of heavyweights in the fight against this barbarism, with a link to this blog post. I am, however, starting to feel the urge to ramp up my involvement, and have Lindsay's full backing in this respect. Thank you for your much-appreciated encouragement.

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard! Awesome birds! I do not understand why birds and animals have to shoot! Here is started the elk hunting season. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It's very worrying that people take pleasure in killing things. No person would do this unless they were mentally sick!

      Delete
  8. That is a good suggestion of David's to write and complain. yes I agreed. Barbaric people! Some great
    images in this post. Have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I'd love to be able to make a difference, and shall work towards that aim.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, sorry this is a bit late, but I have been without a computer for almost 2 weeks. I could not take it in immediately for various complicated reasons, and then when I did I was told that the hard drive had crashed out completely and they could save nothing. Thankfully most had been backed up but ………. I now have a new hard drive and I am slowly truing to put everything back.
    Re your post, nothing worse than an uncomfortable bed, I remember one holiday in Spain where I slept on the floor for a week, it was far better for my back than the allocated bed!! Hope that you are both feeling well again, I also love hot curry but there is a point when it becomes a little too much!!
    Hunting is horrible, and it is all around us here, and of course in my home country of Southern Africa. The latter of course with mainly poaching as well for horns and ivory, how long before there is none left to hunt? This morning in the garden I could hear the hounds in full cry and then gunshots. I understand that the wild pig are a problem for the crops, but they shoot all and sundry at random it seems. It will never stop here too many people involved I am sure!!
    Love your photos and glad to see there were highs as well as lows.
    Best wishes and have a good week Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations with your computer, Diane. You really do have the worst of luck with technology, particularly your dreadfully slow broadband. It must be extremely frustrating!

      Lindsay and I aren't very good at hard beds - we prefer ours a bit soft. However, there's nothing worse than a bed that sags in the middle. Thankfully, there aren't many of those around these days!

      I find all the hunting and shooting going on to be most upsetting. It's not just barbaric - it's detrimental to the countryside and the wildlife it contains (or should contain!).

      Have a wonderful week, and take good care - - - Richard



      Delete
  10. Hello dear Richard,
    Do I agree with you and Lindsay about these barbaric shooters I would down right call murderers.
    And to top it all, they introduce gmo's into the wild with their domestically raised fowls and wild boars.
    I can only hope this prehistoric behaviour will end one day and that hunters will be seriously hounded down. It makes me aggressive and nasty... :(
    Well, to end my comment on fun note, I just ran to the fridge to get myself an.... ice cream after reading your "highs"!! LOL!
    Warm hugs to the two of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carine. It's great to hear from you!

      Lindsay and I both get quite upset over shooting and hunting. There's no place for it in this day and age. GMOs is another issue which I'm uncomfortable about, but have little understanding of its implications - and I suspect that those who profess to know do not have a full understanding either, or are keeping the truth from us!

      As for ice cream - I confess to being the one that leads Lindsay astray on this matter. Not many days go by without us having an ice cream, although it's usually a rather small helping from the fridge. We currently have the choice of Cappuccino or Eton Mess, and Lindsay occasionally makes up a very alcoholic Rum and Sultana!

      Take very good care, and have a wonderful week. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hi Richard,
    what you say there in your post about the birds of prey does not sound good, but what does not sound good is the food you ate there and the misery you had after eating !!!!

    I absolutely love your photos! Captured from a very nice position and beautiful bright images. A compliment for your header :-)

    Enjoy the weekend.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma. That restaurant seems, for some reason, to be quite popular! Maybe there was an accident in the kitchen for that starter course we had. Nevertheless, we will not return to that restaurant. It was, however, the shooting aspects that really upset us.

      I hope you have a good week ahead of you. We are expected to get some very cold weather and I suspect that your weather might be similar! Thank you for your kind words. My very best wishes to you - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.