Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 5 April 2020

Lesser Kestrel !! - on 14th March, 2020

I was going to include a report of this sighting in a future blog post about our stay on the Isles of Scilly this March. However, after consideration, I have decided to do a short post specifically about this sighting. The story unfolds as follows:-

Saturday 14th March

I'd gone for a long walk along the coast on a dull and windy day, starting at the top end of Watermill Lane in the north-east of St. Mary's and tracked south round the coast, seeing little of great interest. 

I was just about to crest Porth Hellick Down at 11h00 when I noticed a Kestrel at some distance inland. As I'd seen little up until now, I decided to bang off a few shots, without any expectations because of the distance and the light. Not knowing whether Common Kestrel was a common sight on the Scillies, I reported it on the 'Isles of Scilly Bird Group' WhatsApp group. I then continued back to base at Littleporth.

The rest of the day was uneventful.

Sunday 15th March

I'd been on a boat trip out to St. Agnes, and then out to Tresco, and was sitting back at base when a message came through on the WhatsApp group. I will let the following images take up the story. The bits with the green background on the right are my 'contribution'.




 - and so it went on! I could barely contain my excitement. This was, of course, a lifer for me, and an extremely rare bird, with only 14 accepted records in UK since the year 1900!

Later that afternoon I had a message from Birdwatch magazine and Birdguides offering me a commission for a finder's report which, of course, I had to decline. However, although I'd not been the finder, I take great satisfaction in the fact that it was my photos that verified the find - even if they were rubbish!

Far better photos were obtained by other people the following day and on subsequent days.

I'll return to this sighting when I publish the full story of my stay on the Scillies on this blog.

In the mean time, stay safe, stay home and stay happy.


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It's the person that realised it was something different that deserves the congratulations, however!

      Delete
  2. A fun day, keep it up Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant contribution to the ID of this bird....'As I said, not good shots!'....matters not a jot Richard. Great stuff.

    Keep on keeping on in isolation Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Pete. I think that my two most exciting birding moments ever have been on the Isles of Scilly. A wonderful location!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Richard. Even a poor photograph can clinch the ID of a species, and obviously your pictures did the trick with this sighting. I will check my records later, but ai am pretty sure that I have only seen this species in South Africa and Ethiopia. It boggles the mind to think that if you had already had an excellent day of photography you might not have even bothered with the long shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this species only in Ethiopia, not in South Africa, Richard, despite it being shown as locally common in some areas.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, David. I was quite surprised to hear that you have only seen this species in Ethiopia, as I too was under the impression that it is quite common in Spain and Eastern Europe. Yes, I could easily have not bothered to fire off shots that day, particularly as I was tired, having walked for a couple of hours in a strong cold wind. For me, this one is up there with the Snowy Owl sighting - also on the Scillies!

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. A big well done. Days like this are rare but will be remembered forever. Congratulations on getting any kind of shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Marc - not going to forget this one in a hurry! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard this is a second try after I whrote two days ago. Hope this one will get through. Congratulations with the spotting op this bird.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. I don't know what might have happened to your original comment - I didn't see it, and if you tried to send it two days ago, it wasn't to this post as I only published this post yesterday! Thank you for your patience.

      I hope that all is well with you. Take great care - it can't go on for ever - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Toda una satisfacción esta observación, enhorabuena amigo mío!!! Un fuerte abrazo desde el confinamiento español.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saludos Germán. Fue bueno saber de usted. Espero que esté logrando mantenerse seguro y saludable en estos tiempos terribles. Mis mejores deseos desde el cierre de Inglaterra (¡espero que el último fragmento se traduzca bien!) - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard,

    it's great if you can photograph a species that you think is a "normal" bird. Great that you can provide proof of this again :-)
    Kind regards and be safe
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was pure luck, Helma!

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.