Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 28 April 2020

The Lockdown Garden - Week 17, 20th-26th April, 2020

With the enforced lockdown (which we Peglers are more than happy to abide by) due to Covid-19, this blog is going to take on a somewhat different look for the foreseeable future. It's my intention to post on a weekly basis with my day-by-day garden wildlife sightings. Initially, I also intend to do a bit of a catch-up with some of my other garden sightings since we returned from the Isles of Scilly on 16th April, and went straight into lockdown. Whether I manage to stick to this intention remains to be seen!

And just in case anyone thinks that the Week 17 refers to week 17 of lockdown, it doesn't - it's the internationally recognised calendar designation of weeks, and the basis of my wildlife recordings.

Monday, 20th April

Just 13 species of bird put a foot down in our garden (I don't record fly-overs), with nothing particularly exciting being seen. This is par for the course in late-spring, with numbers in winter usually around the 20 mark.

Butterflies included a Small White, and an Orange-tip.

Small White (Pieris rapae) - garden on 20/04/2020
Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (female) - garden on 20/04/2020
A solitary Grey Squirrel graced us with its presence that day.

That night, Elon Musk's Starlink satellites were due to pass overhead at around 22h00. Lindsay and I went outside to look for them but failed, in spite of it being a totally clear night. However, by torch light, I did spot this spider. It's a poor photo, not helped by the fact that I'd dialed an exposure compensation of -5 (!) into the camera in anticipation of photographing Starlink and had to apply massive correction afterwards, but I think it's a Rabbit Hutch Spider.

possible Rabbit Hutch Spider (Steatoda bipunctata) - garden on 20/04/2020
Tuesday, 21st April

The number of bird species was down to just 12 - again with nothing remarkable.

We had 2 butterfly species visit:- Small White and Green-veined White.

Green-veined White (Pieris napi) - garden on 21/04/2020
Wednesday, 22nd April

Just 12 bird species once more.

The 3 butterfly species were Green-veined White, Small White, and our first Large White for the year.

The Grey Squirrel was back again

No photos this day

Thursday, 23rd April

The garden trail cams revealed an overnight visit by our first Hedgehog for a few days (we had been getting up to three a night, but numbers suddenly dropped a couple of weeks ago).
We also had a rare visit by a Red Fox.
Birds in the garden were up slightly to 14 species. Here are a few:-

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (male) - garden on 23/04/2020
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (female) - garden on 23/04/2020
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - garden on 23/04/2020

Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) - garden on 23/04/2020
Butterflies were Orange-tip and Small White, but not photographed.

I did take a quick shot of 'nothing', just to check the camera settings before I started, and decided to keep the image which is of bluebells - sadly, not the English Bluebell but an introduced foreign species/cultivar.

Bluebells - garden on 23/04/2020
That night I put out the moth trap, and caught just 3 moths of 3 species - and two of the three were from the outside of the trap! I was surprised that one of these was a Cinnabar - sadly a bit tatty. My thanks to @MothIDUK for the ID on the pug.

Bright-line Brown-eye (Lacanobia oleracea) - garden moth trap on 23/04/2020
Cinnabar (Tyria jacobaeae) - garden moth trap on 23/04/2020
Oak-tree Pug (Eupithecia dodoneata) - garden moth trap on 23/04/2020
Friday, 24th April

We managed 15 bird species this day, although nothing remarkable was seen, and no bird photos taken.  

We had three butterfly species, being Peacock, Small White(2), and Orange Tip.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (male) - garden on 24/04/2020
I was also attempting to photograph other insects. This bee was difficult to photograph.


Hairy-footed Flower Bee (Anthophora plumipes) (female) - garden on 24/04/2020
I was rather pleased with the photo of this St. Mark's Fly.

St. Mark's Fly (Bibio marci) - garden on 24/04/2020
I'd been pondering for some time about my moth trap. I often find as many moths outside, or on, the trap as I do inside it - and I suspect that there would have been many more outside if the local Robin hadn't plundered the surrounds. It's structurally all clear plastic, and I've been wondering if it would be more productive if the collecting box was painted black. As the light cover is also clear plastic, I've been finding the occasional moth sitting on that.

I usually limit myself to once a week for the trap, mainly for the sake of the moths, but also to save my time! However, with a very low catch the previous night I decided to experiment as weather conditions were predicted to be similar. I made temporary modifications by wrapping black plastic round the outside of the box and covering the clear top of the light unit with reflective foil in the hope that this would reflect more light down onto the collecting vanes (the idea is that the moths bump into the vanes and drop down through the funnel into the box where they have a nice bed of egg-box sheets to rest in) rather than attract them to the top where they'd sit until flying off again.

It seemed to work in that I only found one moth outside the box, and there were six moths inside the box. The total was 7 moths of 4 species. I'm only showing one of the three Early Grey as they were all very similar. However, I'm showing both of the Shuttle-shaped Dart as there is considerable colour variation between the two. Sadly, the last two specimens I'm showing were a bit the worse for wear. Confession time! When I first trapped an Early Grey and looked it up in the field-guide, I misread the name - for several months I had it as an Earl Grey. Lindsay and I even had discussions as to what other moth species might be named after teas!

Early Grey (Xylocampa areola) - garden moth trap on 24/04/2020

Shuttlle-shaped Dart (Agrotis puta) garden moth trap on 24/04/2020
Light-brown Apple-moth (Epiphyas postvittana) (female) - garden moth trap on 24/04/2020
Brindled Beauty (Lycia hirtaria) (male) garden moth trap on 24/04/2020
Saturday, 25th April

We had a return visit from a Hedgehog in the early hours.
Bird species were back down again, with just 13 species. We did have some excitement, however, in the form of our first 2020-fledged bird of the year - a Robin that was already full of attitude, and showing its first red feather on its breast. I must try and photograph it as it has become a regular visitor.

Only one butterfly was noted that day - a male Orange-tip.

That night, I broke my 'once per week' rule yet again as I wanted to see what would happen if I put the moth trap over on the other side of the garden. It resulted in 9 moths of 8 species, of which only Light-brown Apple-moth and Brindled Beauty were repeats of the previous night's catch - the latter unfortunately being a re-trap of the same specimen. Muslin Moth, Brindled Pug, and Powdered Quaker were all 'garden lifers', although not at all rare.

Garden Carpet (Xanthorhoe fluctuata) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020 (1 of 2)
Pale Prominent (Pterostoma palpina) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica) (male) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
Powdered Quaker (Orthosia gracilis) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
March Moth (Alsophila aescularia) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
Light-brown Apple-moth (Epiphyas postvittana) (female) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
Brindled Pug (Eupithecia abbreviata) - garden moth trap on 25/04/2020
Sunday, 26th April

This day we had 15 species of bird visit the garden. One of them - a Dunnock - has taken to spending much of the day probing for food round the moss on a garden wall. It seems to have become a daily ritual.

Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - garden on 26/04/2020
Only one butterfly was seen, but it did pose nicely for me - eventually!! Here she is, ovipositing.

Green-veined White (Pieris napi) (ovipositing) - garden on 26/04/2020
That ends the round-up for the week. We ended with just 15 species of bird and 5 species of butterfly for the week.

OTHER INSECTS & SPIDERS - 16th March to 19th April, 2020

Moths and butterflies for the period have been left for later posts. Here are some of the other insects and spiders that were seen during the period
 
The Dark-edged Bee-fly is an insect that I first noticed in the garden last year. This year they have been plentiful. That long proboscis looks quite formidable, but is purely for collecting food! I think that they're really cute.



Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major) - garden on 27/03/2020
While I was photographing the Bee-fly, this spider crept out onto the wall beside me. I have absolutely no idea of the species, and would welcome any suggestions.

spider sp. - our garden on 27/03/2020
Just over a week later, this was my first shieldbug of the year. As it was final instar, I expect that it had over-wintered.

Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina) (adult) - garden on 06/04/2020
The next day I photographed this Red Mason Bee that was high up on the wall of the house.

Red Mason Bee (Osmia bicornis) (male) - garden on 07/04/2020
OK, so not wildlife, but I couldn't resist a shot of the moon that night.

the Moon - from the garden on 07/04/2020
A few days later, I took this shot of a hoverfly in flight.

Cheilosia grossa - our garden on 12/04/2020
Two days later, I was in the garden with the camera once more. This spider was tiny - the 'cannonball' that is sitting on is an Ivy berry about 6mm (quarter inch) in diameter. I have no idea what species it was, and help would be welcome.

spider sp. - our garden on 14/04/2020
This hoverfly was also one of the smaller species.

Eupodes luniger - our garden on 14/04/2020
I have no idea what species this bee is. I think that these two shots are probably of the same specimen.


bee sp. - our garden on 14/04/2020
The next day I was out with the spiders on the Ivy berries again.


spider sp. - our garden on 15/04/2020
That brings me to the end of this rather long blog post. Looking at the weather forecast, I suspect that next week's report will be rather shorter, so I will probably add butterflies as the subject of the catch-up.


Thank you for dropping by. Take great care, and stay safe in these difficult times.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Really interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, I'm pleased that you found it of interest. Take care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. WOW....I call his comprehensive stuff Richard, and I'm impressed with your moth/insect ID, and the video's too. Also your....'which we Peglers are more than happy to abide by' re the lockdown is admirable

    Take Care Stay Safe Richard and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. There are some excellent tools on-line to help with ID. I find that the Twitter account of @MothIDUK to be a wonderful resource for identifying difficult moths - If I post a photo via Twitter he's usually back to me within minutes! The other tool I use is the Naturespot website www.naturespot.org.uk.

      Look after yourselves there, Pete and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard, this is a great alternative for going out with a garden that is good for birds, insects and animals. So much different kind of birds the photos are most wonderuful. Butterflies and a orangetip great! Than you even have hedgehogs and a Red fox coming to visit. Great also that you have a cam to capture what is vissiting at night. I like the set up of your weekly blog and I already wonder what we will see next week. Take care, stay healthy,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have a garden (even if it is only a small one) to enjoy at this time, Roos. We feel so sorry for people who live in apartments without gardens or views of the countryside. I'm just so glad that we have concentrated on making the garden wildlife-friendly for the past few years.

      Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. A lovely variety of wildlife in your garden Richard. A little bit of everything for you there. Surprised you don't count flyovers as they are over your garden but each to there own. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess, Marc, that one of the main reason that I don't count flyovers is that my ID skills for distant birds in flight, like my bird song recognition, are sadly lacking. This is one of the drawbacks of coming to birding late in life when one's memory capabilities are shot!

      Look after yourselves there and stay well - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    what can you say ... you rarely have such an excellent documentary, there is something going on in your garden ... definitely a great idea,
    whether my garden has that to offer? we will see ..;-))
    stay healthy
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. I have just been looking at your wonderful photos of the fox cubs - fabulous!!

      Thank you for your kind comments. I hope that you will also find something interesting in your garden. Stay safe and well - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Well done Richard you really have something to shout about. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. The garden is helping me keep my sanity! Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. This all goes to prove, Richard, how productive gardens can be, and the diligent observer has a wealth of riches to discover. I dabbled in moths for a while, but they drive me batty! I still enjoy seeing them, but I have pretty much given up on trying to ID them. Stay well, stay safe, stay interested. I understand Lindsay's concern about staying indoors, but a good walk might be just the therapy you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very lucky as far as moths are concerned, David, as there are two excellent companion fieldguides available - one for micromoths and the other for larger moths - and if I can't make my mind up using these, there's an excellent resource available from @MothIDUK on Twitter! (that was a near miss - I left the 'w' out when I first wrote it and just noticed my mistake!). I guess that you might well have a much larger number of specimens to contend with however?!

      I can't see us getting out anywhere inside the next couple of months, but fingers are crossed. In the meantime, I hope that you and Miriam stay safe and well.

      Delete
  8. Richard you do not really need to go further than your garden as it is full of wonderful critters. Stunning photos of butterflies, moths, birds and flowers. Keep up the good work of photographing and recording on a weekly basic. Stay well, stay safe and stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Margaret. I fully intend to do all those things!!

      Take great care in these trying times - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard
    Wow, beautiful species of nature, love it. The video of the hedgehog and the Fox, superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob - I'm delighted that you liked this post. If I decide to publish any more video, I'm hoping I'll be able to edit it to make it hang together better.

      Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. We thoroughly enjoyed your garden with its diversity of visitors! Thank you so much, Richard, for sharing!

    Isn't it interesting, when we slow down a bit and concentrate on a relatively confined area how much LIFE is among us? I shudder to think how many creatures I walk by each time I go for a walk in the forest or marsh.

    I savored all of your images, each delectable morsel urging me to hurry and discover what's next!

    We are well here and looking forward to further explorations in "Richard's Earthly Garden of Delights"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to have a garden to keep me occupied in these difficult times, Wally, and can fully understand how someone holed-up in a high-rise apartment could go stir-crazy. I'm finding, and learning about, so much more, and have started expanding my wildlife library. I am, however, aware that if this is still going on when winter arrives - and I suspect it will be - it's not going to leave much more than the birds to keep me going.

      It has been inclement weather for much of this week, so my next offering will be a bit 'thin'. Might have to put the moth trap out again tonight in the hope of getting more subjects to photograph.

      Delighted to know that all is OK with you both. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. It never ceases to amaze me how much one can actually find in the garden once you get your eye into search mode. Wow you have a great selection there and the moth trap is very effective. Great set of photos and I had to smile at the hoverflies on the wing,well done. I hope health wise all is well. Have a good and safe weekend, best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Diane! There's so much going on in the garden, right under our nose, if one cares to look. I'm getting my eye in bit-by-bit - in spite of my eyesight not being what it used to be! Moth traps can be very entertaining, but ID of moths can be extremely complex! You should give it a try.

      Health-wise we're both managing to keep going - just! - thank you. I hope you are both holding up OK. Take great care - - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hi Richard, you have very much nice birds, insects in your garden. And a fox too. Beautiful photos. I wish you a happy weekend. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I am very lucky to have a garden to keep me entertained during lockdown. I see that UK has now had the largest number of deaths from Covid-19 of any country in Europe!

      Stay safe and keep well - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Hi Richard,
    we should also stay at home if possible because this virus is far from under control. I can see really enough in your garden and you also show a very nice series of them on your blog. Great to meet and capture so many beautiful moths. I used to always call them moths but they are actually beautiful butterflies of the night :-)
    Butterflies, birds and insects are beautiful in your garden :-)
    I enjoyed it. Stay safe and sound Richard.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the current situation, Helma, we are happier to be at home than we would be outside where there are other people. It seems that only USA has had more deaths from this virus at this stage than UK has had.

      For some reason, we are only getting white butterflies now. I'm hoping that we will get more colourful ones soon - I like your idea of thinking of moths as being butterflies of the night - although there are many moths that fly during the day.

      I pleased to know you enjoyed this blog post - thank you. However, I suspect that the next one may not be as colourful!

      Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.