Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 4 June 2020

End of May Dragon Hunting - on 27th and 31st May, 2020

Having made the decision to separate reports of my occasional forrays into the wild, from those of my garden observations, here's the first of the former, complete with a new blog title (but still at the same blog web address).

It is great to be getting out into the countryside once more, and getting some exercise whilst topping up on natural vitamin D. However, I'm still doing this with a great deal of caution - somewhat more, it seems, than the majority of my compatriots! My visits are to carefully chosen places close to home which do not attract many people, and which do not require physical contact with gates, etc. to access. At this point in time - and this is for reasons of interest rather than security! - a pond, lake, river, or stream are key to my choice, as I'm keen to make the most of the dragon season.

Here follow two accounts of visits I made at the end of May.

Ticknall Limeyards, on 27th May

This location is in the grounds of Calk Park, owned by the National Trust, and currently closed to the public for access by car due to Covid-19. It is 6 miles (10 km) from my home by road.

I don't visit this place very often, but when I do I have parked in a location where I have never observed another vehicle parking and then walked into the limeyards via a public footpath. I parked the car and got out and was greeted by a person hanging over his garden gate, who informed me that I was parking on a private road and, with lockdown, as admission to the park by car was blocked, the roads around the area were getting choked by parked cars and they were going to put a lock on the gate to stop people parking on the priivate lane. However, he also told me that I was OK to park there on this occasion and wouldn't be locked in. His cousin then arrived on the scene and greeted me with "it's Richard Pegler!". He was a fellow committee member of the Blackfordby Wildlife Group! We had a long chat, at a distance, during which I was upgraded to the parking status of 'honoured guest'!

On my woodland walk into the limeyards, I stopped briefly to photograph a Speckled Wood butterfly.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Ticknall Limeyards
I arrived at the main lake area to find just one couple with a dog in the vicinity, so felt relatively relaxed with the situation. A quick scan around revealed a few damselflies and absolutely no dragonflies. Photography at this location is quite difficult as the three ponds are surrounded by dense woodland with just a small area of grass in the middle of the three. This results in only about 15-30% of the shoreline of each pond being accessible, and trying to find subjects with the sun in a convenient direction can be impossible at times.

I saw one Blue-tailed Damselfly and managed a few shots.

Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
There were several Azure Damselflies around, but I did not pay much attention to them, as they were tending to settle out in the lake on lily pads.


Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Even more difficult to photograph here, although they are the main attraction for me at this time, were the Red-eyed Damselflies. They were in reasonable numbers but, as usual, I only saw males. They are a very nervous species in my experience and keep to the furthest out lily pads. It is also quite hard to get them in a position where the red eyes show to advantage. I'm not very happy with the results, but these are the best that I could manage.



Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
At one point, I got distracted by my first Common Blue butterfly of the year.


Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) (male) - Ticknall Limeyards
Whilst I was photographing the blue, a gentleman arrived on the scene. We had a conversation at some distance. He was from Coalville and was extremely knowledgeable about various local wildlife sites and their specialities. In less 'socially distancing' times I'd probably have exchanged contact details with him. He did, kindly, call my attention to an orchid that was in the process of flowering. I'd seen and photographed another one earlier, but this one was a little more advanced in its flowering.

Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii) - Ticknall Limeyards
I suddenly realised that the area was starting to fill up with groups of people, mostly of 4 to 6 persons, none of which seemed to have any care for social distancing and had seemingly arrived to enjoy a picnic lunch. It was time for me to go! I got back to my car to find one of the residents had put a notice on my car, politely requesting that I did not park there in future. I shall refrain from doing so, in spite of having one resident's permission, as I don't want to cause any problems in the neighbourhood. 

It had been a morning with some disappointments, but far from totaly wasted.

Sunday, 31st May

On 30th May I got a notification that Alvecote Wood, a privately owned woodland 12 miles (19 km) from my home would be open to the public the following day. This is a place that I have been to on several occasions as it has some good ponds for dragonflies. There is no charge for entry, but I like to make a donation each time I visit. It is a place that does not usually attract many people on its open days but is, nevertheless, a beautiful place. I decided to get there soon after it opened at 10h00. 

On arrival, I found that just one other vehicle had beaten me to it, so hung around while owner Stephen talked to them, so that I could have a chat with him afterwards. Stephen told me that Ponds 1, 2, and 3 were a bit dry, but Pond 4 was holding up quite well. Stephen also introduced me to the new love in his life, the charming Rosie - it was great to see Stephen happy again after his tragic loss of Sarah. I then set off through the ancient woodland taking a different route in order to overtake the couple that had headed out before me.

As I left the ancient woodland and entered the new woodland area of Betty's Wood I found a Small Heath butterfly. It flew off before I could work my way round to its sunny side.

Small Heath (Coenonympha pamphilus) - Alvecote Wood
I was shocked to find that Ponds 1 to 3 were so dry that there was water only visible in small patches and that it was possible to walk in the ponds without getting muddy feet. Initially, I saw no dragons or damsels by these ponds. The situation changed, however, when I got to Pond 4. Here there were numerous Four-Spotted Chasers in action, and occasionally settling. Some of them exhibited the war wounds of many encounters with their conspecific companions.





Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Alvecote Woods
I was pleased to see that I'd managed to photograph a female of the species, although my attempts to catch them while ovipositing or mating (they do it in flight) failed miserably.

Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (female) - Alvecote Woods
I didn't spend much time trying to photograph damselflies, but a few were attempted. This first one was taken when I noted a green damselfly, raised my camera, and it had disappeared after the first two frames on fast speed. I'm used to seeing Common Emerald damselflies here and thought it was an early one before I looked at it on the back-of-camera screen and realised it was a female Banded Demoiselle!

Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (female) - Alvecote Wood
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Alvecote Wood
Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Alvecote Wood

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (male) - Alvecote Wood
It wasn't just damsels and dragons that I photographed, however. Other insects got their turn. Here are a couple of them. I think that the hoverfly might be a Parhelophilus sp. but I'm hoping that Conehead54 will, once again, put me on the right track (thank you for the confirmation!) - I have got a hoverfly fieldguide on order! The hoverfly was quite a long way away (heavily cropped with the 50-500 lens fully stretched to 500).

hoverfly -  Parhelophilus sp. - Alvecote Wood
Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus) - Alvecote Wood
The real prize for me, however, was the discovery of a Black-tailed Skimmer towards the end of my session. Although far from rare, I don't see many of these in my area and when I do they are usually on the ground, and they are usually males. It was, therefore, a pleasant surprise to find a female that had taken posession of a stick from which she made the occasional foray before returning. 




Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (female) - Alvecote
It was now getting a bit busier with people at Alvecote Wood, and I felt that it was time to depart. It had been a great morning with some pleasing results, My thanks to Stephen and Rosie for a very enjoyable visit.


I am now realising that public open spaces are very much busier than they ever used to be before lockdown. I think that it is because people are not able to get away on holiday, and that there are many more people not working too. I have noticed that the busiest times seem to be between about 11h15 and 14h30, no matter what day of the week it is - I will try and avoid being out at such times.

My next blog post will almost certainly be my weekly report of my garden lockdown records.

In the meantime, take great care and stay safe!

23 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, With the admission incident, imthe south you would be classed as a 'jammy dodger'. Nice photo's. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. Right now I feel more like a dog biscuit than a jammy dodger! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Agree hoverfly is a Parhelophilus sp-probably as far as you can go with ta photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful set of photos and I am so impressed with your ID as well. Love that Large Red damselfly. Since I started taking photos of insects I have realised there is a whole new world out there.

    Have a peaceful and safe weekend, best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. Yes, lockdown is causing the world of insects to become increasingly interesting - particularly if one is able to indulge in a bit of macro-photography!

      My ID skills are very limited, but I do try, and my fieldguide library is increasing week on week. I now have to try and find the time to digest their contents!

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. A feast of dragons. I'm pleased you finally managed to get a good few species under your belt and some nice photos too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. It's been great to be getting out again, but slightly worrying with all the extra people that seem to be finding their way into the 'wild places'. I'm needing to be very vigilant while out. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, Some outstanding photos you were able to make of the Dragonflies. You must be verry happy with the differend kinds of Dragonflies you were able to see. My compliments!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few weeks ago, Roos, I was thinking that I might not see a dragonfly in 2020 because of this awful virus, so yes, I'm absolutely delighted that I am able to get out and find a good number of species. Take great care. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Great work with the dragonflies, Richard. It is good to get outside as you say. I suspect that part of the reason for the crowds is that people have been confined for so long, that any chance to leave the house is welcomed with great enthusiasm. Good weather will only cause the numbers of people to soar, no doubt. I read an account recently where a fellow said that he knew that restrictions were being lifted just based on the increased volume of litter, a sad commentary if ever I heard one. When my daughter was little we had an annual pass to the zoo in Toronto, and we used to go there only on foul weather days, because we knew that they were precisely the kinds of days most would avoid. I realize of course that doesn't work for a photographer. I used those outings to gently introduce Caroline to natural history, with just a tiny bit of science thrown in, and I was delighted to hear her talk about it fondly during a recent visit. Sometimes we do the right thing it seems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the images being posted on social media of the litter being left behind at beauty-spots, fills me with disgust and despair, David. I'm sorry to say that modern British society has degenerated to the extent that there are many people out there who have not a single care for their fellow humans, let alone the other inhabitants of the planet. What is so difficult about taking one's litter home when departing - if the capacity was there to take it there, there is the capacity to take it back again!

      I commend your attitude to your early zoo visits - I may have to take up wet-weather photography, although it wouldn't work for butterflies and dragons!

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    So you can enjoy a little excursion that was more than normal before the crisis, the dragonfly pictures are of course awesome, the richness of detail is amazing
    very nice
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, Frank. My mind has been elsewhere for the past few days. I'm delighted to hear that you like my dragonfly images. I love searching for dragonflies, but they are not often cooperative for photography! Thank you for your kind words. Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    The hunt was worth it, details can be seen that you would otherwise not see, I looked at the photos with joy, thanks for showing Richard
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologise for late publication of your comment, Frank, and suspect this one is bacause you thought your first one didn't come through. I'll try and do better in future! Your first one arrived on the evening of my birthday, and I was busy celebrating! Sorry again - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard
    What a beautiful blog, and butterflies and dragonflies, and you have left the Black-tailed Skimmer till later, superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I find that dragonfly hotspots tend to be a little less busy than birding hotspots - something that's a high priority these days!

      Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard, beautiful photos of the insects, dragonflies and butterflies. the damselflies are very beautiful, I love the colors. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline. I continue to have problems with communications from you. Usually, Blogger notifies me when somebody posts a comment on my blog which goes into the 'awaiting moderation' folder but, for some strange reason, they don't notify me of comments submitted by you, so I only just noticed that this comment was sitting in the folder

      Thank you for your kind words. Dragons and damsels are particular favourites of mine!

      Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Beautiful damselflies, dragonflies and bugs.
    Those red-eyed damselflies are really beautiful to see.
    The small blue butterflies are also great.
    Due to crowds I have not been able to photograph them yet, but I enjoy it here.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.