Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 1 January 2021

The End of 2020 - Phew!!! - 10th to 31st December, 2020

The end of 2020 has come as a relief, it being the worst year that I (and many other people too) can remember. However, I am mindful that there are very many people out there for whom life has been horrific, even without the threat or event of Covid-19, and so I consider myself to be extremely lucky (so far!) and am very grateful for the support offered by so many people, not least of which are my wonderful wife, Lindsay, and daughter, Melanie. I hope that, when this is all over, I will be in a position to repay, or pass forward, all the kindness shown.

Because of restrictions imposed by virus and weather, I have not been out much at all in the past three weeks, so this will probably, once again, be a fairly short post.

Friday, 11th December

Having spotted a male Bullfinch visiting for the first time in a while on the Wednesday, we were delighted when a pair visited us on this day when the weather was a bit grim. I only managed a shot of the female which was outside my study window. This one was, unfortunately, exhibiting scaly feet.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (female) - garden on 11th December, 2020
Sunday, 13th December

A highlight on this day was a visit by a Carrion Crow. We see them regularly around our home, but they rarely drop into the garden. The following is not a good photo by any measure, but I can't resist posting it as the subject looks so very magnificent.

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 13th December, 2020
Monday, 14th December

This was a day that I managed to get out for a while. I started by parking at Oakthorpe Colliery, which is relatively close to my home and walking to Saltersford Valley, taking a route that I had not previously traversed. It turned out to be a bit muddy and slippery in places and, at one point, the path (designated a 'public footpath') seemed to split, with the southern fork heading over over a muddy field and the northern fork heading down a grassy ride. As I passed some farm buildings, a Peafowl (I think that it was a female) watched me from on top of some plastic covered bales. That morning, anti-avian flu regulations had come into force, and I did wonder why it was out in the open, but it seems that the regulations don't embrace Peafowl. Unfortunately I was shooting straight into the light.

Peafowl - Lowlands Farm, Oakthorpe
After about 400 metres I found myself at a dead-end and was starting to think that I'd have to set off back to the fork, and was not relishing the muddy field alternative. Trying to cross the barbed wire boundary meant risking tearing my trousers and I did not want to take that risk. I then noticed that there was a very short section without barbed wire, and made my escape, coming out directly opposite the entrance to Saltersford Valley.

It seems that I can fully rely on Coot to be present when I visit this place.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley
Further on, I found a few birds to watch. There can never be too many Long-tailed Tits!

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - Saltersford Valley
The heavy rains of the past weeks had caused considerable flooding of the pathway at one point, and so I turned back to where the photo, above, had been taken. A pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker were in the distance, which was quiote exciting for me as I rarely see a pair of these birds. They came a little closer at one point in time, but I only managed a vaguely usable shot of the male.

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - Saltersford Valley
I waited for some time and was on the verge of giving up as the female had moved even further away, when the male moved to a nearer uncluttered position.
 
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - Saltersford Valley
It was now time to head back to my car via the old route, with little seen on the way.

Tuesday, 15th December

Prompted by reports of Russian White-fronted Geese and a potential Ferruginous Duck at Longmoor Lake, which is quite close to my home, I set off to take a look. I was a little disappointed at the number of cars in the car park, but my walk down to the lake didn't reveal too many people. As I got near the hide, a person was just leaving and informed me that there was no one else in the hide, so I decided to take a chance.

There were few geese on the water, and no white-fronts could be seen. However, there were good numbers of Greylags and Canadas in the tall vegetation beside the lake. 

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Longmoor Lake
I had the occasional very brief glimpse of the bill of a white-front but never enough for a photo. After a while, there was some movement and the geese started making their way towards the water. Unfortunately two more people then entered the hide and did not seem over-concerned about keeping a safe distance. I stayed for a while and took a few shots of some Greylags that came a little nearer to the hide, but then felt a bit insecure and so left.


Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Longmoor Lake

The hide is at the south end of the lake and I took a walk to the north end, and a bit beyond. The light was fading fast, and I took very few photos. Here's one of a pair of Wigeon.

Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (male + female) - Longmoor Lake
On my way back, I found the couple from the hide had moved round to the lakeside path, having had good sightings of the white-fronts from the hide. There were five of them now, swimming alog beside the far bank of the lake at a distance of about 120 metres. With the light now being very poor, I only got record shots. However, these birds were a 'lifer' for me.


Russian White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons albifrons) - Longmoor Lake

I didn't see the Ferruginous Duck, but I'm not upset at this as it was later declared to be a hybrid!
 
Thursday, 17th December
 
With restrictions in place, I felt that I should continue to stay as close to home as possible for my walks. I therefore returned to Oakthorpe Colliery and Saltersford Valley. The exercise was much-appreciated, but it was not a very productive walk. Any help with the fungus ID would be appreciated.

Great Tit (Parus major) - Saltersford Valley

fungus - Saltersford Valley

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Oakthorpe Colliery
Wednesday, 23rd December
 
This was a reasonably good day for garden birds in spite of extremely dull weather, with fifteen species visiting. The absolute highlight, however, was a Goldcrest, but I only got a record shot.
 
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - garden on 23rd December, 2020
Friday, 25th December - Christmas Day
 
As always, we had our breakfast in the conservatory and, in my case, I didn't deviate from my usual fare of cornflakes with dried fruit either. Although our regular pair of Robins graced us with their presence (as all good Robins should do at Christmas) I did not take any photos of them, but I did take some of a Bullfinch (sorry, Marc!).
 
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden on 25th December, 2020
Since my mother, who used to come and stay with us at Christmas, died some fifteen years ago, it has been our custom to go out into the countryside for a picnic lunch on Christmas Day. This day we were confined to staying close to home, but we did have our lunch in the car park at Oakthorpe Colliery. The car park was all but empty and I was just trying for some shots of a Redwing when a car arrived and, instead of parking in one of the wide-open spaces, parked right beside us, blocking our view. We didn't stay long after that!

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - Oakthorpe Colliery
Saturday, 26th December

While having a coffee in the conservatory, a Wren popped up out of a Hebe and onto the 'owl' in front of me. Unfortunately, a reflection in the glass has bleached out the head area somewhat.
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden on 26th December, 2020
Sunday, 27th December

In an effort to work off some of the excesses of Christmas, Lindsay and I went for a short walk at Saltersford Valley. My wanderings were a bit more extensive than Lindsay's and I came upon a lone Canada-type goose with a pair of Mute Swan. This goose seemed rather small and seemed to have a short neck, and I wondered if it was a goose of the Cackling, rather than Canada, group. However, an enquiry to a member of the records committee, brought back the verdict that it looked like a small Canada, with a note that there are a lot of variants and hybrids amongst our feral flocks.
 
Mute Swan and Canada Goose (?) - Saltersford Valley


Canada Goose ? - Saltersford Valley

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Saltersford Valley
Tuesday, 29th December
 
The most remarkable thing about this day, apart from the small amount of snow that fell (and is still with us as I write this), was the noisy arrival of at least 24 Starlings. I did, however, just about manage a shot of a Robin in the gloomy conditions.
 
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - garden on 29th December, 2020
Wednesday, 30th December

Another day with a reasonable tally of 16 species of bird visiting the garden. So far this winter it seems to be around 14 species most days, which is slightly disappointing as, in past winters, numbers have  usually been around the 18 mark.  For those that think these numbers are generally low, please bear in mind that I only record birds that actually put a foot down in the garden - even a Sparrowhawk skimming through less than 2 metres off the ground doesn't count!
 
Sorry, but I can't resist putting up this next shot as, although it is not particularly unusual to get two Bullfinch visiting the garden at one time, I don't think I have ever got two males in one shot before. So here we are - complete with bird-feeder clutter!
 
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden on 30th December, 2020
Just recently, the occasional visits by Carrion Crow have been getting a little more frequent. On this day we had two but, although one didn't stay for long, the other was more obliging.
 

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 30th December, 2020

This brings me to the end of this account.

If all goes according to plan, my next blog post will be totally different to anything that I have posted before! In the meantime, please take good care and stay safe - for your own sake, and for the sake of those around you.
 
It just remains for me to thank you for your past visits to this blog and your much-appreciated kind comments, and to wish you all a very much better year in 2021, with good health and plenty of wonderful wildlife to enjoy.
 
Thank you! 
 

24 comments:

  1. Those Bullfinches are superb Richard. What a treat to have them in the garden. Wishing you a Happy New Year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. Have a good one yourself! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Lovely bird friends. Happy New Year 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, and a Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful shot of Russian White-faced Geese. Have a new year 2021 Richard and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that crows are among the most difficult birds to photograph and for my money you have done a great job, Richard. You have certainly captured that wonderful cocky, imperious air they have. American Crows are streaming past the house as I type this, heading out from their roosts in the city to the hinterland to feed. Your goose is in my judgement a small race of Canada Goose and not a Cackling Goose. More mistakes are made here with these two species than any others I can think of. One of the features of a Cackling Goose that always stands out for me is the forehead, which is almost "vertical". And they really are tiny, barely bigger than a Mallard. It has snowed again overnight so it's back to shovelling again this morning. I do have a neighbour with benefits, but he is unpredictable about bestowing them, and at best it is limited to the sidewalk! As others have commented, however, thank goodness I am still able to do it - and I will be seventy-eight years old next month! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your help with the goose ID, David. I am sure that shovelling snow is beneficial to your health, as long as you don't overdo it! I'm only a few years behind you and find that, these days, 'a little and often' is better than going at something 'hammer and tongs' until it's done. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

      A Happy New Year to you and Miriam too!

      Delete
    2. A little and often.....there are those who might have flights of fancy with that, Richard! Not me of course!

      Delete
  5. Good to see your White-fronted Geese at Longmoor Lake. Your garden Wren looks much better than my video of the one in our garden recently, also the Bullfinch in your garden have me quite jealous, we have yet to see our first.

    To yourself and Lindsey A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that White-fronted Geese have been turning up in many places this winter, Pete, and I'm delighted to have seen my first ever. At the moment, we are being quite lucky with Bullfinch, but then we can go for months without seeing one in the garden. The real treat is when they bring young to the garden, which they do some years.

      A very Happy New Year to you and KT too!

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    beautiful pictures for the end of the year, you and your family a happy and healthy new year 2021
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. My very best wishes to you and your family for 2021 too. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard and Lindsay, first thank you for your reaction for the New Year on my blog. For you and Lindsay I wish also all the best for the New Year. Most of all health and that Corona soon will be something of the past. That, to be able to go out without all the precautions and no worries when we go out. The photos of the encounters you had in nature are amazing. The Bullfinch is my favorite.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Roos. Thank you for your kind words and good wishes. Unfortunately, this new form of Covid seems to be spreading like wildfire, so we must all be extra-careful. It now seems to be a race between the virus and the vaccine. I have recently virtually stopped going out, and it is several months since I was last in a shop, other than visiting the pharmacy each month to get our regular medication for the two of us.

      Take great care and stay safe. One day it will get better - let us hope that it is soon! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard I hope all is well. Sorry I am not keeping up very well with blogs, being at home all the time seems to keep me busier than normal and I cannot work out why!!

    The Long-tailed Tit I thought would be my favourite, a bird I very seldom see and which I love, but then came the Goldcrest and the Wren, 2 more birds that I love and never see around here. I would be over the moon to see a Bullfinch.

    Sadly these rising numbers that we are seeing are now becoming names, and we lost a very dear friend yesterday to COVID. All so far people we know in RSA, but it is creeping closer, we are though in the safest part of France it seems. We are still in full lockdown with a curfew which will only be changed one way or the other 22 January though up North, stricter laws came in yesterday.

    Happy New Year and keep safe, I want a year of laughter and fun after 2020 but I am not sure it is going to happen! cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Diane. All is well here, and we have the same syndrome - where does all the time go, now that we are stuck at home? Achieving anything now seems to take so much more mental effort.

      We seem to be doing reasonably well in the garden this winter but still, unusually, have not had Redwing, Fieldfare, or Song Thrush, nor have we had Siskin, Redpoll or Brambling, but fingers are still crossed!

      I'm very sorry to hear of your loss of a friend. It seems so unjust, particularly when it's the idiots that are disregarding the safety rules that are causing so much trouble for others, and not suffering themselves. It now seems highly probable that we too will be going into full lockdown soon, but there will still be selfish people out there that don't have the brains to realise that their actions are just prolonging the problem and causing more distress.

      My very best wishes to you both for a happy and healthy 2021. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Hi Richard. I am struggling to keep up with any blogs, and only yesterday did I see the sun shining after about 12 days, I said whatever did not get done at home was too bad and I took myself off for a walk. Having not walked for nearly a fortnight my legs felt a bit automated but I managed just over 10 kms. Only two photos on the whole route, one very bad one of a Stonechat but a great one of Crepuscular rays..... I am rambling, I linked up to tell you I am hearing the Little Owls every night. They are very close and I will be delighted once the days get longer and hopefully I will get to see them again. Stay safe and best wishes for 2021 Diane

      Delete
    3. Great to know that you are regularly hearing the Little Owls, Diane. Also looking forward to seeing those crepuscular rays on your blog. Living in the environment that we do, it's something that we do not see - I guess I should get out more at sunset!

      Restrictions are tightening up here, and the local police have been dishing out £200 fines to people who have got in their cars to go 5 milles to somewhere where they can walk. The rules say that you can only drive to somewhere "in your local area" in order to take exercise, without clear specification as to what constitutes a "local area".

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard,
    it really was a disaster year for everyone in the world. Not only because of all the misery of wars, but all continents were (and still are) with that terrible virus.
    Let's hope that sometime in this new year 2021 we will have some more freedom and that this terrible virus is brought under control.

    you might not be able to go far but your photos are very nice to see. The bullfinch is and remains a beautiful bird. The wren is also super nice on it, just like the tits and the woodpecker. The geese and ducks are a nice catch for the winter baskets.
    Take care of yourself and your safety.
    I also want to thank you for your visits and your comments. I hope that we will be able to experience and share many more beautiful nature moments.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma

      It makes me very happy that you like my photos, as you set the standard that I would like to attain.

      I am hoping that, with the vaccines that are now starting to become available, and with the departure of a particularly dangerous man, the world will become a better place in 2021. In the meantime, we all need to take care and stay safe.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. First, congratulations on the Russian White-fronted Goose! Life birds are always a welcome treat.

    I know we take your outstanding narratives and superb photography for granted, but thank you so much for continuing to offer us such a smorgasbord of natural beauty! Even though many are not able to get out and enjoy nature as much as would be preferable, your window into the local wildlife is a very special tonic which helps make these days so much better!

    Gini and I continue to be blessed as we are able to find many remote places to explore. We hope you and Lindsay remain safe and it's our wish that all of us will experience Peace and Joy during this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see the White-fronts, Wally, but I'd have dearly loved to have got a better shot of them. I don't know if they are still there, as bird news services are currently suppressed due to the Covid crisis lockdown. They don't want hoards of birders congregating where rare birds are seen and, sadly, this is what many birders will do, even when there's a pandemic in ascendancy.

      Delighted to know that all is still good in the Jones household. Thank you for your kind encouragement. I hope that things will get better for all mankind in 2021!

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.