Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 19 January 2021

The First Two Weeks of 2021

Thank you to everyone that gave me kind words of encouragement on my last blog post featuring my first (protracted) steps into the world of leatherwork, which you can find here, if you missed it :-http://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2021/01/wildlife-inspired-leatherwork.html. I have already started formulating ideas for my next project which will take me away from belt-making - a man can only use so many belts!

It is now time to get this blog back to wildlife, although opportunities are somewhat limited at present due to the highly critical state the UK finds itself in with regard to Covid-19, with the whole of UK in lockdown once more, and the English police dishing out heavy fines to anyone found away from home for leisure purposes. It seems that, although excercise close to home is OK, if you look as if you are enjoying yourself during the process, doing things like looking through binoculars, taking notes, taking photographs or taking a sip from a flask of coffee, it becomes leisure rather than exercise.

Herewith, my account of the first two weeks of 2021 - a year that I hope will turn out to be better than its predecessor for everyone.

Saturday, 2nd January

A light fall of snow, followed by freezing conditions at night, meant that I was constantly having to use hot water to melt the ice on our bird drinking stations. I suspect that it was a shortage of water elsewhere that brought a Pied Wagtail to our garden. You may find it surprising that Grey Wagtail has been far more common than Pied Wagtail in our garden in the past twenty or so years, with Grey Wagtail being an annual visitor but Pied Wagtail not showing most years. We used to have a large koi pond in the garden and this brought the Grey Wagtails, sometimes with their young. The pond was filled in more than 10 years ago now, with just a tiny part left as a bird bath. However, the Grey Wagtails kept coming (I think that there must have been some sort of genetic imprint), although their visits have become far less frequent with just one sighting in 2020, on 11th October.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - garden on 2nd January, 2021
I'm delighted to say that the Bullfinches are still regular visitors.
 
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (female) - garden on 2nd January, 2021
Monday, 4th January

A fairly unremarkable day as far as garden birds was concerned had me taking a visit to nearby Hicks Lodge. This can be a useful place for birdwatching, but my other reasons for visiting were to see how busy it might be with people, now that our open spaces are being overrun with visitors, and also to see if the new parking app on my phone worked.

The parking app worked fine, but what they didn't say, until after you booked, was that they load another 18% onto the standard parking fee.

I did see some birds, although nothing of great interest, but I was most put off by all the people who were ignoring social distancing, steaming on along the centre of the path and leaving me to side-step into the muddy land to the side of the path to avoid them - and not so much as a thank you from even one of them. I shan't be returning in any great hurry.

Here, however, are some of the birds that I encountered, photographed mainly to give some exercise to my shutter button finger.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Hicks Lodge

I had never noticed the attractive shape a Coot's facial 'shield presents when looked at head-on!

Coot (Fulica atra) - Hicks Lodge

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Hicks Lodge

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Hicks Lodge
Sometimes I have to remind myself just how handsome a bird the ever-present drake Mallard is.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male) - Hicks Lodge

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Hicks Lodge
Tuesday, 5th January
 
Blackcap is not a common visitor to our garden, but lately we have been having almost daily visits from both male and female of the species. The female seems to just pass through, briefly stopping in our Viburnum at the bottom of the garden. However the male tends to linger a little longer, but still tends to stay in the rather dense branches of the Viburnum. Furthermore, they only seem to visit when the day is extremely dull. Photography, therefore, has been extremely difficult.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden on 5th January, 2021
That afternoon, in my quest to find somewhere quiet to walk, and partly prompted by recent reports of Ring-necked Duck and Great Northern Diver, I set off to Staunton Harold Reservoir. 

There was no sign of either of these birds when I arrived at the bridge which is at the south end of the reservoir, but I did take some shots of a distant Grey Heron.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Staunton Harold Reservoir
I took the decision to walk up the road to the hamlet of Calke and then along to what is usually referred to as 'the round car park'.
 
On my way up to Calke I stopped to look at a a flock of Greylag Geese in a field beside the road.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Calke
Along the road to the round car park, by the exit from Calke Park, I spotted a Goldcrest - the smallest of all British birds - up in a tree. As I don't see too many of these, and most years I don't even succeed in getting a photo of one, particularly as they are constantly on the move, I spent some time trying to photograph this one and was quite pleased with the outcome.
 
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - Calke
As I reached the round car park about a quarter of a mile (450 metres) down the road, I spotted another Goldcrest. This one was staying close to the ground - and I managed some more shots. I just love that face!
 
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - by Staunton Harold Round Car Park
I was over the moon at having had the opportunity to photograph two of these wonderful kinglets in such a short space of time.
 
The round car park was closed to vehicles, presumably to reduce the number of visitors because of the Covid situation. There was still food in the bird feeder there, and a Buzzard was in a nearby tree.
 

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - Staunton Harold Reservoir
WARNING! - you do not want to be standing behind a large bird of prey when it raises its tail as shown in that last image!
 
I then took the path down to the water's edge, stopping to photograph some of the several delightful Long-tailed Tits en-route.
 

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - by Staunton Harold Reservoir

Other than one female birdwatcher who apeared from a side-path as I passed, and who seemed intent on breaching the social distancing guidelines, it had been a walk that had been useful, and filled me with confidence for future visits. Little did I know that, within a few days, there would be reports of police dishing out £200 fines to people from my home town visiting this very same area - less than 4 miles(6 km) away - as being too far to travel from home for exercise!

Wednesday, 6th January

Notable this day was a male Siskin which visited our garden. This was the first of the winter and I hope not the last. I can only offer a record shot of it on one of our feeders.
 
Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - garden on 6th January, 2021
Corvids seem to be increasing their visits to us, but, sadly, not Jay.
 
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 6th January, 2021
After lunch, I went out for another walk to an area which I used to refer to as 'my local patch' and where I used to see Little Owls (sadly none seen here for a few years). I was prompted to go here because it is a quiet country lane to walk along, and I used to regularly see Yellowhammer here. Yellowhammer seem to have become a little scarce locally and I have not been seeing them in their local haunts. I was, therefore, delighted to see a distant group of five or six of this delightful bunting, albeit at some distance.
 
Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) (female) - my 'local patch'

Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) (male) - my 'local patch'
Later on in my walk I was asked by a lady, passing in the opposite direction and nicely 'social distancing', if I'd seen anything interesting, to which I replied 'just a group of Yellowhammer'. She was quite excited by this and said she'd not seen them on the lane in a long while. I hope, therefore, that this was not an isolated visit by these birds.
 
On a different section of the lane, I had views of Fieldfare foraging in the wet mud.
 
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - my 'local patch'
I ended my walk here, again feeling extremely comfortable, and suspect that it will not give me any problems if I take a walk along here again.
 
Thursday, 7th January
 
Freezing foggy conditions brought the birds in again, including Blackcap and the Pied Wagtail. Also of note was a visit by four Bullfinch (2 male, 2 female). I only managed to get a shot with three of them in-frame.
 
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (2xmale 1xfemale) - garden on 7th January, 2021

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - garden on 7th January, 2021
Greenfinch has, again, become rather scarce in our garden, so it was good to have a visit from one this day.
 
Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) (male) - garden on 7th January, 2021
We are now starting to get the occasional visit by a pair of Jackdaw, but they only singly come into the garden. That eye is piercing!
 
Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - garden on 7th January, 2021
Goldfinch are still regular visitors to the garden, but their numbers seem to have declined significantly this winter.
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 7th January, 2021
Friday, 8th January
 
Freezing frosty conditions persisted and, while having a coffee in the conservatory, I noticed a movement in the fuchsia in front of me. Fortunately, my camera was at the ready when a Goldcrest appeared!


Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) -garden on 8th January, 2021
Three photo opportunities with Goldcrest in just four days was the stuff of dreams!
 
A male Bullfinch was cooperative on this day also.
 
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden on 8th January, 2021
Fortunately, I have a huge supply of peanuts, as there is a Grey Squirrel that visits us which is rather fond of them. I just wish that it had the intelligence not to bury many of them at various places in the garden!
 
Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 8th January, 2021

The first week of the year had been an exceptionally good one with 25 species of bird putting a foot down in our garden. These are shown on the summary section of my weekly recording sheet for Week 1 (4th to 10th January), as shown on the right. The previous week had resulted in 20 species visiting.
 
Sunday, 10th January
 
This was the last day that we saw the Pied Wagtail in the garden. The weather had warmed up and, as I found out later in the day, ponds and lakes were starting to thaw, so I guess it felt it had no further need of us.
 
Covid infection rates had been rising dramatically and I was still seeking places which I could reach on foot from home and where there were natural places where I could walk and not encounter Covidiots. I walked about 6 miles (10 km) that afternoon and the few people I encountered were nearly all considerate. However, I saw virtually nothing of interest, and only raised my camera twice - once to photograph a very distant tree as it looked as if it might have been good for an owl (it wasn't!) and a second time to photograph a distant Buzzard (the results weren't worth bothering you with).

However, I was fully dissuaded from taking this route again when, as I was getting close to home on a narrow country lane with no sidewalk, walking facing the oncoming traffic as was drummed into me when I was a child, I heard the scream of a high-powered car accelerating as it passed from the 30 mph limit into the 50 mph limit, giving me just enough time to throw myself into the bushes at the edge of the road before a low-slung BMW passed me at an estimated 80-100 mph!
 
 
 
Monday, 11th January

The week got off to a reasonable start, with 16 species of bird visiting the garden on this day. Both male and female Blckcap visited, but the female continues to be camera-shy, with the male only a little better!
 

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden on 11th January, 2021
That afternoon, just as we were finishing lunch in the conservatory, I noticed a movement in the Hebe, just in front of where I was sitting. I grabbed the camera and waited - and just managed to get a quick shot of the Wren as it briefly popped its head out of the foliage!
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden on 11th January, 2021
Wednesday, 13th January
 
Most excitement on this day was caused by the arrival of a Reed Bunting into the garden. This was our first visit by this species since March, 2020. Sadly I only managed a record shot.
 
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - garden on 15th January, 2021
The male Blackcap was back and, for the first time, decided to go for some of the old and shrivelled Rowan berries, a few of which had been left by the other birds.
 

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden on 13th January, 2021
I'll end this blog post, with some photos of a bird that is, undeservedly, often ignored because it is so common. It is, however, handsome - whichever way you look at it!
 

Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (male) - garden on 13th January, 2021

Many, even most, of the photos in this blog post have been taken in extremely dull, sometimes misty, weather, and some have had to be considerably post-processed to compensate for these conditions. I'm hoping for some brighter days soon, but the immediate future does not look too promising with severe rain and flood warnings in place for the next three days - fingers are crossed!

I hope to be back with another blog post in approximately a fortnight's time. As things stand, it is likely to only contain garden observations, as it does not look as if I will be going anywhere anytime soon!

In the meantime, take good care and stay safe - and please take the vaccine if offered it!

 

30 comments:

  1. An enjoyable trip through your first two weeks of 2021 Richard. Most notable birds in the garden being Bullfinch which has yet to visit ours, Siskin, and Blackcap having done so no more than twice, and the Goldcrest, just the once.

    As you know, this is a long haul that just gets worse, so do continue to take great care Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason unknown to myself, as of yesterday, bird numbers have dropped dramatically, Pete. On Monday we had 18 species drop in. However, yesterday it fell to just 10 species and today it only rose a little to 13. Sadly, we've still only had the one sighting of Siskin this winter!

      It's getting really silly out there in these parts but, hopefully Lindsay and I will get our first shots of vaccine in the next four weeks. Fingers are crossed.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. So, I guess the take away from this is don't get out and look like you are enjoying yourself. Walk briskly, wear a frown, and whatever you do don't raise binoculars! It is mass confusion here. No one really knows what is permitted and what is not. It is ironic that if I wish to get into my car, in my own garage and drive into the country where I am not going to have any contact with another human, that is not permitted. Yet I can walk on my street for exercise, along with the occupants of every other house, so that we all crowd the sidewalk, some of us stepping into the road to maintain the recommended two metres distance, some not caring at all, some wearing masks, others not. It is madness! The police don't seem to be over zealous, and the interpretation of what is necessary travel and what is not seems to be left to the individual. Fabulous shots of the Goldcrest, Richard, and a whole bunch of other interesting birds. Stay well, stay safe, drink coffee, feed birds! Perhaps one day a needle will find its way to your arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised until now, David, that you too are suffering the same level of uncertainty as to what is permitted and what is not in the Covid times. An aquaintance of mine was complaining that, recently, he was told to go home as looking at birds with a scope was a static activity and not exercise - there were fishermen sitting with their rods on the other side of the wall, but that is a permitted 'activity'! The real root of the problem is stupid people - if everyone acted in a safe and responsible manner, many of these lockdown rules would be unnecessary.

      Current view is that Lindsay and I will be first-jabbed sometime between 28th January and 15th February. We look forward to it, but with some small consternation that the process itself will put us in a more risky position than we have been in for some months - hundreds (or thousands) of untested people passing through the vaccination centre each day!

      Delete
  3. There have been wonderful birds there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite lucky with our birds, Anne, especially when we get cold weather!

      Delete
  4. Some excellent photos as ever Richard. For some reason you've called a Pied Wagtail a Grey Wagtail on both occasions here, despite giving the correct scientific name for Pied? Senior moment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, a true senior moment, probably intially caused by me writing about Grey Wags being more common than Pied in the garden prior to inserting the image and caption, and then perpetuating the mistake by cut & pasting the caption and just changing the date for the second one! Now retified. Thank you again - much appreciated - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard.
    Even stricter measures will be introduced in the Netherlands. All shops are already closed except for the supermakrt and tomorrow there will be a press conference for the introduction of the curfew and even more huge restrictions and even less visits, or no more visitors at all.
    It is also really intense with you and unfortunately we have to keep going.
    Now your photos, I see beautiful birds passing by, but your squirrel is also very beautiful, sharp and clear. Fortunately we can still enjoy it. Your Pied Wagtail is also a very beautiful one. I've never seen it myself. I am a bit jealous of your goldcrest and long-tailed tit 💚.
    I also saw your blog below from the ler and I think it's great that you can make something like this :-)))))
    I had a lot of fun with you again.

    Stay safe and healthy.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere in Europe seems to be in trouble, Helma, but it seems that we in UK have now got the worst death rate - even worse than that in USA!

      I'm delighted that you enjoyed my birds and also that you approve of my leatherworking efforts. I am now thinking about making a foraging bag.

      My very best wishes - take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    well put together and what a huge selection, I would say the first two weeks were good to very good ...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. Once again I am very grateful for the fact that I have a garden. It must be very difficult for people who live in high-rise apartments at times like this.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. The Bullfinches still haunt me I see. What it must be like to actually see the bird other than a rump flying into a bush never to be seen again. Think I would set up a mossy log and be sat in a hide in your garden waiting for that male to turn up. I will stop salivating now. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got to the point that I feel guilty every time I publish a Bullfinch photo now, Marc! If this Covid thing ever gets knocked on the head, and we and the Bullfinches are still around, I will happily set up my hide for you in the garden - you'll have to bring your own mossy log, however! I can't remember the last time I set my hide up - must be at least three or four years ago I reckon.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, As always when I visit, your photos are a joy to see. Lovely selection of park, and garden birds. The sweet Gold-crest and the Long-tailed Tit are superb captures. A Gold-crest came to one of my feeders yesterday, but came and went in a flash, so there was no chance of getting a photo. No wonder you were pleased. Love the Chaffinch in the rain images, and Bullfinch capture. You are so lucky to see so many in your garden, however I do see the Greenfinch!!
    Take care Richard, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to see you back in Bloggerland, Sonjia, and thank you for your kind words.

      I was so sorry to hear of the tragedies that you have been through which led to your absence. I hope that you are soon recovered and in good spirits. However, I'm sure that Mel will be in your thoughts forever - I lost my Clover nearly nine years ago and her picture still moistens my eyes from time to time!

      Take great care - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. That is an amazing collection at this time Richard. I am really trapped where I live and I get nothing in my garden except the young fox. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Mike. I hope that you manage to get more coming to your garden, but a young fox is a good start! I also hope that you are able to get out soon - at least, having had the vaccination, you will have a bit more confidence when you do.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard
    So many birds in your photos, they are Bullfinches, always my favourites. The Buzzard, Long-tailed Tits, and on and on. Perfect blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that we are privileged in having the Bullfinches visit us, Bob, and we really appreciate their visits. I'm getting a little worried about one of the females as she seems to be having a lot of problems with one foot - a bad case of 'scaly foot'.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. It seems that no matter how dire our human condition becomes, it can always be improved with a strong dose of Nature!

    Thank you, Richard, for this wonderful inoculation! As always, it is a pleasure to take a leisurely stroll with you and savor each image as if we are right there.

    The Goldcrest reminds me of our own Kinglets, small and seldom holding still. The Bullfinches are simply magnificent and the photo of the Blackcap tossing down a berry was great timing! All of the birds you have on display are superb! The Long-tailed Tit and Chaffinch are amazing as the light shows off their very rich plumage.

    We hope your weather improves soon. And, of course, Gini and I continue to wish very good health to you and Lindsay as this new year slides into the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - Nature is a wonderful healer for the soul, Wally!

      I'm not surprised to hear that our Goldcrests (and Firecrests) exhibit the same behaviour as your Kinglets, being from the same family. I find them a real challenge to photograph not only because they are constantly on the move, but they also tend to hang out in the middle of a mess of twigs.

      Our wet and windy weather has given way to cold and snowy weather, said to be the worst for five years. One of my trailcams registerd a temperature of -12°C (11°F) at 07h58 this morning! Now having to go through around 500 frames of attempts to photograph birds in the snow.

      Continue to take great care - hoping you both get the vaccine soon - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hi Richard, beautiful collection birds. Your photos are excellent. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I am so pleased that I have a garden so I can watch the birds from home, but I wish that I could be by the sea as you are!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. I want to come walking with you. I never seen birds easily while out walking, probably something to do with the amount of hunting that goes on here! Very few of the birds you have photographed here have I even seen.

    Today's walk (13 kms) all I succeeded in doing was seeing one robin that flew before I lifted the camera and I got home with soaking wet shoes and feet. I tried to cross a stream that had become a raging torrent with all the rain we have had. Still I do love walking in the country :-)

    Take care and stay safe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever up this way when this Covid thing is relegated to just a vaccination-controlled low-risk illness, I'd be delighted to take you to some of my local haunts, Diane. However, if I ever managed a 13 km walk I'd not be expecting to see much, as you must have been moving at a fair old rate! My best results are when walks are taken at a gentle saunter, with frequent stops - or even better is standing still and waiting for the birds to arrive. The problem with these last two approaches to birdwatching in the current lockdown situation is that it can be difficult to persuade the authorities that one is taking exercise!

      Lindsay and I are still hoping that, in the next week or two, we will get the call to go for our first vaccination.

      Take great care - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Hello Richard, Amazing what birds you have in your garden. An impressive list. The Bullfinsch is one of my favorite as the Goldcrest. I do get out and as from a view days back we are more restricted to the country, no passing borders again if you have no buisiness there. Again not visiting my family. Almost a year now. But we do our thing verry carfuly and I do vissit nature where I am sure their are not hundreds of other people nearby. So you are lucky to have your own nature reserve in your garden with amazing birds to come to vissit.
    Great photos again as always.
    Take care,
    Stay healthy,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos - how lovely to hear from you, and thank you for your kind words.

      I am so sorry to hear that it is nearly a year since you visited your family. I hope that you and the family are all well and staying safe. It is difficult to visit nature and keep away from people here as well. I do realise just how lucky I am to have a garden that the birds visit.

      If you have not yet had the vaccine, I hope you get it soon. In the meantime, continue to take great care - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  15. Un reportaje invernal espectacular, me han encantado todas las fotos y en especial las del Aegithalos caudatus, una especie que tengo muchas ganas de hacer unas fotos tan bonitas como las tuyas. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España, mantente a salvo amigo mío.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Germán. Aegithalos caudatus es uno de nuestros pajaritos más encantadores, y siempre me encanta cuando lo veo. Suele llegar a nuestro jardín en pequeños grupos de 4 a 8 pájaros, pero a veces solo llega uno y mi mujer y yo siempre decimos que es el 'pionero' del grupo que suele llegar un poco más tarde.

      Ten mucho cuidado, Germán, y mantente a salvo. Mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.