Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 11 March 2021

Time Marches On, and March Is On Time! - 1st to 7th March, 2021

I have decided that I will try to publish a blog post each week, rather than once a fortnight as has become the norm for me recently. This is partly because I feel it necessary to spread the effort, and partly because I feel it might make it a little easier for the readers of my blog. How long this idea will last, however, remains to be seen. It would not be the first time that what I thought was a good idea at the time soon got abandonned!
 
So this is a week's worth and, as not a lot happened during the week and, in contrast to the previous week, I did not get out at all, this will be a relatively short post.
 
I make no apologies for the sub-standard header that is current with this post. It is there purely for what it portrays - an event that was an absolute highlight of the week and which will be described a little later. 
 
Monday, 1st March
 
We had a good selection of birds this day, but the only one photographed was a Goldfinch, which was outside my study window on the feeder arrangement which is just under 5 metres away.
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 1st March, 2021
Friday, 5th March
 
Sightings in the garden continued to be quite good up until this day, when something remarkable happened. We were sitting in the conservatory, having just finished lunch, and I was scanning the viburnum through my binoculars (my eyesight is not good these days and I'm in need of new specs, but unwilling to go to the opticians until this pandemic dies down somewhat) when I felt compelled to exclaim "what the!!!". At first, I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but there was a Yellowhammer in the viburnum ! The Yellowhammer is not a rare bird, although numbers are declining noticeably in these parts, and I have even published images of them on the blog this year. However, they are usually only found in rural locations. I give you this extract from the Wildlife Trust's description of the species:- 
 
"The yellowhammer is a sparrow-sized, bright yellow bird of woodland edges, hedgerows, heath and farmland that feeds on seeds and invertebrates. In the winter, it will join mixed flocks of buntings, finches and sparrows to feed on seeds on farmland.".

So here was one in my small suburban garden in a location surrounded by houses. This was, of course,  a garden 'life tick' and will almost certainly not be repeated in my lifetime!
 

Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) (female) - garden on 5th March, 2021
Although Siskin have been frequent visitors lately, I have struggled to get a decent photo of one that is not on something that looks unnatural like a feeder, for example. In past years, they have come to just outside my study window, but not this year. This is about as good as I have managed so far - still a long way to go yet!
 
Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - garden on 5th March, 2021
Saturday, 6th March
 
The female Blackcap was spending much time with us every day, but always in two very unphotogenic spots. There is now a story about this bird which will be revealed in my next blog post! In the meantime, here she is - in one of her two favoured spots where she scavenges for food dropped by the Starlings.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (female) - garden on 6th March, 2021
We had three Siskin visit this day (one male and two female), but I only managed a record shot with two of the three.
 
Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male + female) - garden on 6th March, 2021
One female was a little more cooperative, but the light was dire.
 
Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - garden on 6th March, 2021
A pair of Stock Dove still visit on a daily basis. I am always appreciative of their serene elegance of appearance and movement. Here is one of the pair.
 
Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - garden on 6th March, 2021
Sunday, 7th March
 
We had the three Siskins visit us again this day and, although I got shots in better light and showing more detail, these were unfortunately on a feeder pole. I'll show them here anyway as they are rather special little birds that will not be with us much longer before they depart into the countryside.
 
Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - garden on 7th March, 2021

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - garden on 7th March, 2021
That night, the moth trap went out for the third time this year - its second outing had yielded nothing! This time, however, I got two moths of two different species, with one of them being March Moth which is what I had two of the first time the trap caught anything this year. This was a male March Moth, the female of the species being wingless!

March Moth (Alsophila aescularia) (male) - from garden on 7th March, 2021

Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)- from garden on 7th March, 2021

This brings me to the end of this blog post which, as promised at the outset, is somewhat shorter than my usual output and, unfortunately, a little short on variety. I shall try and do better next time, but I do know that there should be at least two species that have not graced these pages for a while! In the meantime, take good care and stay safe - it's not over yet!


20 comments:

  1. The shorter blog is much easier for me I must admit with our slow WiFi, so thanks weekly (if it lasts) would be good :-)

    I never knew there was a wingless moth, one lives and learns every day! Interesting life story I should imagine. Must look it up.

    To my knowledge I have never seen a Yellowhammer, not sure I would recognise it if I saw it! I have seen Siskins on the odd occasion in the garden but not for a long time.

    We have started raining again so all our spring creatures have taken cover and I hope they are keeping warm after two days of frosts as well.

    Keep safe and have a good weekend, we are nearly there. Very best wishes to you both Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and keep future posts a bit shorter until you get fast broadband Diane, but I can't promise that I won't get carried away from time to time!

      Actually, that female March Moth is not strictly wingless as it has vetigal wings, but it is flightless. There are a few species of moth in Uk where the female is flightless.

      The female Yellowhammer is less distinctively plumaged than the male which, especially in full breeding plumage is largely bright yellow. You'd soon spot one if it appeared!

      Our weather too has turned cold, wet, and very windy. I hope that spring returns soon. In the meantime, take great care

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. This all goes to prove, Richard, that the common can become uncommon under the right circumstances, and A Yellowhammer in the garden would be cause for celebration by many, I suspect. Thank goodness you happened to look out when you did or you might have missed it completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lucky chance sighting, David, and I'm so glad that I had my camera to hand as I don't think I would have been sure without being able to study my photos. It was soon gone!

      Delete
  3. You get more birdlife in your garden in a week Richard than I get in a whole year. I keep on trying though. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up, Mike - your turn will come!! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your Yellowhammer garden tick. Not a bird I get around here-we only get Reed Buntings locally, though not in the garden!

    Lovely Stock Dove profile- a bird I feel is under-rated!

    Good to see some moths around. Certainly Orthosia season now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reed Bunting does come to our garden occasionally and we had a female visit this week and will feature in my next blog post.

      I used to think ill of Stock Doves as they, and Jackdaws, have a habit of evicting Little Owls from their nests here in the Midlands. However, they are a welcome and delightful visitor to our garden.

      I think that we are probably a bit behind you with moths. Orthosia is one area that I tend to have a bit of ID difficulty with, but not as difficult as Diarsiae or Xestiae.

      Thank you for your much-appreciated support - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) is an absolutely lovely bird. they are also in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are spectacular birds, Anne. I am pleased to know that you have them too. Do they migrate away from you in winter?

      Delete
  6. hello Richard, great birds you saw in your garden. Even a Yellow hammer! Did he already sing his lovely song?
    Still some stormy weather with rain but we see the signs of Spring more and more.
    So enjoy the beauty.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Roos. I was in my conservatory with the windows closed and a noisy fan heater on so if the Yellowhammer sang, I didn't hear it, and I only saw it briefly anyway. Do female Yellowhammers sing, or is it only the male that sings?

      We are still getting strong cold winds with frequent rain and hail. However, I think that it is going to improve later next week - I hope so!

      Take great care - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    the goldfinch is my favorite, is one of my favorite birds
    nice compilation from the first week
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. The Goldfinch is certainly one of the most spectacular of our garden birds.

      Best wishes from a cold and breezy England. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Garden mega, oh how I wish to see a Yellowhammer let alone in the garden.... At least three years since I last saw one. Well done for that.... (I did once have a Woodcock land in the garden underneath my line of fir trees in the back garden, but it flew off as I pointed the camera at it from the bedroom window....).
    Some lovely birds featured in this post, however the Goldfinch image is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd offer a dozen Yellowhammer in exchange for just one brief sighting of a Woodcock, anywhere, Dave. I'm very lucky in that, on what I call my local patch although its a couple of miles away, I reckon I see Yellowhammer around 50% of the times I visit, but they're very nervous birds and I never see them close-up.

      Thank you for your visit - take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard,
    I don't even have the time to post a blog once a week and I am already happy if this is once every two weeks lol ... Of course also because I still have to work and I am also an informal caregiver for my mother.
    The picture of the putter really is a gem! You could also put the yellowgots and the siskin very nicely in the picture. So cool to see that black-headed woman :-))))) The colors of the pigeon come out very nicely. And you already have a few beautiful moths.
    Stay safe Richard. The pandemic will come to an end.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helma!

      I think that, while not a lot is happening, I am going to find it easier to do a short blog post each week rather than a long post less frequently, particularly as my memory is not good these days! When there is more to photograph, I hope to be able to just post on more interesting subjects rather than virtuallly all that happens.

      I am looking forward to getting more freedom to travel, but staying safe in the meantime. I hope that you are also taking good care and staying well. Thank you for your visit. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Nice work luring the Yellowhammer to your garden!

    Love the Siskins! Their American cousin, the Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus), refuses to come this far south, much to our dismay. The brown cap of the Blackcap is really luxurious! It seems that many species of dove receive short shrift from photographers and birder, likely due to their large numbers. Pity. They are so beautiful!

    Moths! More and more evidence that Spring is sneaking in the back door.

    Trying to play catch-up with everyone in the blogosphere. Patience, please.

    All here is good for us personally. Birding has ground almost to a halt in the past week but should pick up again soon.

    You and Lindsay keep being safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to hear that all is well for you both. We too have almost ground to a halt due to very worrying health concerns with our granddaughter - it's a long story that I won't go into. The weather, however, has not been great, so I don't feel hard done by on the birding front.

      Take great care - this virus isn't beaten yet! - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.