Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 25 August 2021

Fabulous Pheromones

For years now, we have been seeing the larvae of the Vapourer moth on the Tamarix shrub that we have in our front garden. However, my only sighting of the adult moth of this species was a very distant one in Derbyshire 2017. I had never seen the moths of this species in the garden.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (larva) - our garden
This species of moth is one of the few in UK that feature flightless females. I therefore hatched a plan to harvest three of the larvae and rear them indoors in the hope that, by the law of averages, I'd get to see one of each sex. The larvae are known to have very irritant hairs and so I carefully cut three stems with larvae attached, and with what I hoped would be a sufficient amount of food on, and placed them in a milk bottle full of water (with the neck carefully sealed to prevent them from drowning). This was then placed in a rearing cage.

I regret that I did not have the presence of mind to record the date of this event and the dates on which the three larvae pupated, but it seemed that it all happened over just a couple of weeks. The pupae were contained in cocoons of silk attached to a tamarix twig or, in the case of one, to the netting in the corner of the cage.

Then one warm sunny day, while I was sitting in my study, I found what I first thought was a small orange butterfly (skipper sp. came to mind) rapidly flitting around me. I grabbed a net and, to my surprise, found that it was a male Vapourer.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (male) -from my study
This discovery caused me to quickly examine the breeding cage in case I'd left the cage open or it had been damaged. Sighting no damage, but an emerged female Vapourer in the cage brought the amazing realisation that this male had detected the pheromones being emitted by the female through the fine mesh of the cage then through my study and the door into the kitchen, and then through the kitchen and kitchen door to the outside and to wherever this male happened to be at the time! Here's the female, still attached to the pupal cocoon which is where, usually, she'll spend the rest of her short life.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (female on cocoon) -from my study
I quickly put the twig that she was on into a bottle and out into the garden, where I placed the bottle on a bench. Within seconds, rather than minutes, there were four more male Vapourer moths attracted to her and all trying to mate with her. Photography-wise I was not at all prepared for this, and my photos are rubbish but maybe you'll understand the situation better anyway.

This first one briefly settled on the bench beside the bottle before joining the action.To the best of my knowledge, Vapourers usually rest with their wings folded backwards so that the forewings touch or slightly overlap at the rear and the spots are close together - as in the image above. I am wondering if this one had its wings spread due to a state of excitement?!

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (male) - our garden
This next shot depicts an arriving male, with two already in attendance - the female is not visible and is behind the cocoon on the twig.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (males) - our garden
The next shot depicts at least three males attempting to mate with the female.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (males + female) - our garden
It seems that, as soon as she has attracted a mate, she stops emitting pheromones and, after mating was finished, the males quickly departed.

She then started ovipositing on the cocoon - which is the norm for this species. The eggs are white when first laid.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (ova) - our garden
When ovipositing is finished, the female remains in place on the cocoon and by the ova. In this case, within 24 hours, the female had shrivelled to maybe a third of her size and was apparently dead.

The twig with the cocoon and its ova are now taped to a sturdy branch on the Tamarix in the garden.

Just two days later, the next one to emerge was, again, a female. This was the one with the cocoon in the corner of the cage, rather than on a Tamarix twig. The cage was placed outside on the bench and almost immediately attacted a single male. I do not know if this lack of choice of suitors was due to the dull cooler weather or whether her pheromones weren't so attractive.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (male + female) - our garden

Two days later, I noticed that the female had dropped off the cocoon and was on the floor of the cage. She hadn't shrivelled up like the previous one so I thought I'd get some photos.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (female) - from the cage
I'd just taken that shot above when I noticed her legs starting to move. I gently righted her and she started to crawl across the bit of green card that I was using as a background. This next shot, and that above, clearly show the vestigial wings of the female Vapourer.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (female) - from the cage
I then carefully placed her on the Tamarix outside. I don't suspect that she had much of a life ahead of her, however.

The eggs in the cage had taken on a more subdued colour and showed some surface detail.

Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (ova) - in the cage
The third Vapourer emerged a few days later, again on a dull day, and again a female! This one also attracted just one male. After ovipositing she shrivelled up to almost nothing and was clearly dead. 

All the ova are now out on the Tamarix and I await next year with interest to see if I have a bumper crop of Vapourer larvae!

FOOTNOTE:

This little 'experiment' was prompted by me never having seen an adult Vapourer moth in our garden. Just over a week after that last emergence of a female, I found an adult male sitting on the garden fence - perhaps the word had got out that there were females about!


Vapourer (Orgyia antiqua) (male) - garden on 11th August, 2021
That's it for now. I hope that you have found this interesting. I wonder what I will come up with next!

Look after Nature and Nature will look after you.

 

14 comments:

  1. When I saw the title to this post, Richard, I thought you were referring to Miriam's Eau de Temptation, not used as frequently these days, but thankfully pressed into service now and then! Seriously, however, this is absolutely fascinating and I am confident that your experiment would rate first place in a university biology lab. It proves what individuals can do and is a real contribution to citizen science it seems to me. Perhaps now you have seeded your own population of Vapourers. I am really impressed with this. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmm - bordering on too much information there, David!

      Thank you for your encouraging words on my efforts with this little project. I'm hoping to do a little more on the butterfly/moth rearing front in future although, as you well know, there can be problems and it does take up a fair amount of 'real estate' space. I had to give up on one species that I was following recently as it pupates under the soil - I need to research the possibilities there ready for next year in the hope that I get an opportunity once more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was interesting to see these events unfold, Anne.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff here Richard. The Vapourer is both brilliant and bizarre in equal measure, not least bizarre at the larva stage, and your image of the flightless female is priceless and a first for me.

    Take Care. With my Kind Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your 'brilliant and bizarre' observation on the Vapourer, Pete. I'd never really thought of the larval stage as that but, yes, it is one of our most unusual caterpillars with its tufts and 'horns'. I think you anyone would be hard-pressed to see a female Vapourer in the wild as they are not only relatively inconspicuous but so short-lived.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. You may be happy to know that your bank account is a bit safer today. While studying your treatise, I eschewed my usual coffee for a pleasant cup of English tea. (Don't become too comfortable. It was a temporary anomaly.)

    Your efforts are really exceptional, Richard. We really appreciate you sharing the results of your "moth farming". Nature continues to find new ways in which to hold our rapt attention. And with a capable instructor such as yourself, we are content to continue our education.

    Gini and I are very well and hope the same may be said for you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved (and a little surprised) to hear that you have been drinking English tea, Wally. I shall inform Lindsay that we can now let-up a little on our economy drive. However, I have noted your warning and will not get too complacent.

      There might be one or two blog posts from me in a similar vein in the future, but not on quite such an interesting species.

      It's good to know that all is well with you both - we're doing well here, thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    Biology lesson at its finest, well explained and beautifully illustrated, you can very well understand your joy over such a beautiful experience, I liked it a lot
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very kind words are much-appreciated, Frank - I'm delighted that vyou enjoyed this piece.

      Take care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Vapourer images Richard, in the all it's formed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you like this post, Bob. It was a fascinating process to witness. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard, Sorry I am a bit late in commenting but I had to change my server and they were not very co-operative. I think you must have spent a lot of time on your knees with those pictures. Good result. take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you had to change your server - such things can be very time-consuming and an absolute pain. Please don't ever feel the need to apologise for a 'late' comment - a comment from you is always a privilege!

      Although for most of my photos I use a Sigma 50-500 lens, most of these shots were taken with a Sigma 150 macro lens. For those shots with a bit of card as a background, the subject matter is on a coffee table, and I'm standing up with the camera mounted on a monopod - so no time on my knees at all!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.